Removing Creative Commons and Answers searchplugins from l10n builds, any thoughts?

Francesco Lodolo [:flod]

Feb 13, 2014, 10:39:11 AM2/13/14
to Mozilla l10n Mailing List
Hi,
as you probably noticed, in the last months we've been trying to clean
up all searchplugins shipped with our localized builds of Firefox,
fixing errors, updating icons, etc.

During this work I realized creativecommons.xml is currently broken:
search simply doesn't work.

Currently this searchplugin is shipped with the following list of
locales (using Aurora as reference): as, cy, eo, es-AR, eu, ga-IE, gl,
ku, mk, mn, mr, rw, si, ta, ta-LK, te, th, tn, vi, zh-CN, zh-TW, zu.

Another old searchplugin, dropped by en-US years ago, is still used by
some locales: answers.xml (answer.com).
List of locales shipping answers.xml (again, Aurora as reference): fa,
ga-IE, ku, mk, rw, si, tn, zu.

The only explanation for this is that these locales never updated their
searchplugins after the initial set-up, and at that time they picked the
same searchplugins used by en-US.

The plan would be to remove these searchplugins from l10n builds, both
Firefox Desktop and Metro, unless some locales have strong opinions
against this decision.

If your locale is currently shipping one of these 2 searchplugins, and
you want to keep it, can you please explain the reasons for doing that?

Thanks,
Francesco