List of opt-in pages available on webdashboard

Francesco Lodolo [:flod]

Feb 4, 2015, 3:07:31 AM2/4/15
to Mozilla projects web content localization
Hi,
I was planning to send this message later this week, but since at least
a couple of locales already noticed the link, I'll go ahead.

On your webdashboard it's now available a link to see all opt-in
(optional) pages available on mozilla.org
https://l10n.mozilla-community.org/webdashboard/?locale=es-ES

It's right above the Bugs section, and leads to this page
https://l10n.mozilla-community.org/~pascalc/langchecker/?action=optin&locale=es-ES

We plan to add a link to the stage server for each page, so it's easier
to understand the kind of work involved.
This should provide us with a better system to manage opt-in pages:
accountable, easy to track and with less noise in the list.

Please use the link to file a bug to request a new page. Do not add
pages yourself, because:

* The reference en-US page has several meta tags that shouldn't be in
the localized file.
* Adding the file doesn't tell the webdashboard to start tracking it.
* Bugs are easy to track and hard to forget.

One more request: if your locale is missing hundreds of strings for
critical pages, it doesn't make sense to request an optional page. Let's
try to get mozilla.org in a better state before working on page with
limited scope, visibility or duration.

Francesco

Guillermo

Feb 5, 2015, 4:19:01 AM2/5/15
to Mozilla projects web content localization
Hi Flod, this is really interesting and useful. Is there a way to add a
date when the opt-in is needed? in es-AR I see two opt-in where we
didn't make it, but I think those websites are old. How could we know if
the opt-in is for something new or something we forget long time ago?

Thanks!

El 04/02/15 a las 05:06, Francesco Lodolo [:flod] escibió:

Francesco Lodolo [:flod]

Feb 5, 2015, 4:42:42 AM2/5/15
to dev-l1...@lists.mozilla.org
Il 05/02/15 04:16, Guillermo ha scritto:
> Hi Flod, this is really interesting and useful. Is there a way to add a
> date when the opt-in is needed? in es-AR I see two opt-in where we
> didn't make it, but I think those websites are old. How could we know if
> the opt-in is for something new or something we forget long time ago?
Hi Guillermo,
I'm not completely sure a date would be useful (but I can be convinced
otherwise): the idea is to keep in that list only pages that have a good
life-expectation, not short-lived pages. In other words you should be
able to opt-in at any time if a page is listed there.

A couple of pages in the current list were not presented as optional to
dev-l10n-web in the past.

* geolocation: it was available on the old website (PHP), ported to
Bedrock and strings imported for those locales who already had a
translation.
* dnt: it was translated by one team (Japanese), so we created the
reference .lang file. It was then translated by some locales on
Pootle and reported as missing for a locale on Bugzilla (German), so
I decided to start tracking new localizations as an optional page.

As far as I remember, all the others are relatively recent, maybe 12
months or less (excluding the "Get Involved" page, which dates back
before I started working on this).

Francesco