FISL Talk report

Francois Marier

Jul 6, 2013, 1:27:10 PM7/6/13
Yesterday, I gave a talk [1] at FISL [2] in Porto Alegre, Brazil. I did
the talk in English in front of about 150 people (despite the early
start), but an interpreter was present and a few dozen people in the
audience were wearing headsets for this. Thanks to Armando, a local
Mozillian, I translated my slides to Portuguese.

# Highlights

With the help of two LatAm Mozillians, Panaggio and Guillermo, I did the
usual "protocol acting" [3] and got lots of good feedback from it.

Mozilla (and Firefox) is extremely popular here. You can definitely feel
the love and you see Firefox swag everywhere. Google was surprisingly
absent, not sure why since thy usually have a presence at Open Source
conferences.

I had a good chat with Marcio (creator of www.lpeu.com.br) and also a
guy who works for the CTO office of the Argentinian government. A lot of
people here seem to be looking for excuses to use Mozilla technologies
in their projects.

# Mozillians

The other thing I thought was amazing was the group of Mozillians (reps
and other community members) that was running the two Mozilla spaces at
FISL. They were like a professionally trained sales force, but with
passion and a shared sense of purpose. It was a beautiful thing to watch
(despite the language barrier). The Mozilla room was overflowing the
whole time and attendees were showing up really early to ensure they
could get in.

# Questions

- How does an email provider support Persona?

- Does Persona rely on TLS certificate authorities, which is a
centralized point?

- Are there plans to create a Facebook identity bridge?

- What kinds of personal information can an RP request from the user?

- Is there a way for a Google Apps domain to delegate to the GMail bridge?

- Are there libraries that do assertion verification without using the
online verifier? What languages are they in?

Francois

[1] Slides at
https://speakerdeck.com/fmarier/user-logins-can-we-do-better-than-passwords-and-avoid-centralized-services
and video at
http://hemingway.softwarelivre.org/fisl14/high/41a/sala41a-high-201307051001.ogg

[2] http://softwarelivre.org/fisl14?lang=en

[3] https://secure.flickr.com/photos/79482097@N05/9217710336/

Marcio Galli

Jul 15, 2013, 3:40:21 PM7/15/13
to Francois Marier, dev-id...@lists.mozilla.org
> I had a good chat with Marcio (creator of www.lpeu.com.br)

Thanks, Francois, for using the case of LPeU in the Mozilla Persona
talk in Brazil. And for the support you provided earlier here. It was
a pleasure to meet you.

The point you say "excuses to use mozilla" is real. I used to say
among friends — the reason FF 1.0 got there was Firebug — and Firebug
got there due to Firefox. The developer interaction is critical and I
wonder how a Mozilla identity service can go in terms of developer
tools. Maybe tools to test Persona compliance, maybe some other site
validation by Mozilla.