Guidelines: When to ask the l10n team for review or needinfo

Axel Hecht

Jun 10, 2013, 9:23:50 AM6/10/13
to mozilla-...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi,

we'd like to clarify when to ask for review and needinfo on the l10n
team, and when not to.

== When to review? or needinfo? the l10n team

* You're not sure if a particular UX works across languages
* You're wondering if compositing a string works
* You're wondering if the strings you're introducing need a localization
comment, and how to phrase that

Use needinfo if you're not having a patch yet, and please state the
exact question in the comment you're using to request info. We may not
find the question you have in mind by reverse engineering the bug comments.

Request review? if you're having a concrete patch to look at.

== When to review? or needinfo? the UX team

.... but not the l10n team

* You're wondering if the wording, the grammar, the spelling, the
capitilization, the punctuation of your strings is OK
* You're wondering if the string is using consistent terminology with
other parts of Firefox OS

The UX team recommends to use needinfo on
firefoxos-...@mozilla.com (:fxosux in short).

== When to review? or needinfo? someone else

* ask schedule questions to people doing schedules
* ask approval questions to people handling approvals

== Counter examples

We don't need any signal for the existence of new strings. We're going
through the recent landings on v1-train more or less weekly, and port
strings over to localizer's en-US repo. We're not tracking master at
all, fwiw. Thus there's no need to use bugzilla for that communication.
There are scripts that make sure we're not missing a landing.

There shouldn't be new strings for 1.0.1 at this point, no matter what.

Axel