Firefox OS + Raspberry Pi 2

Dietrich Ayala

Aug 18, 2015, 5:43:18 PM8/18/15
to dev-gaia, dev-b2g
We're looking for someone to help port Firefox OS to Raspberry Pi 2.

If you are capable of this work and are interested, please contact me.

If you know of anyone who is a good candidate for this work, please
introduce me!

Thanks,

Dietrich

Abhiram Chintangal

Aug 18, 2015, 5:52:08 PM8/18/15
to Dietrich Ayala, dev-gaia, dev-b2g
Hello,

This sounds quite interesting. I remember reading about a firefox os port on raspberry pi's website [1] . What skills are the candidate expected to have?

Thanks!
[1]:https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/firefox-os-for-raspberry-pi/

Abhiram Chintangal

Varghese Thomas

Aug 18, 2015, 11:12:41 PM8/18/15
to Abhiram Chintangal, dev-gaia, Dietrich Ayala, dev-b2g
HI,
I would love to work on this although i'm an absolute newbie to this.

Regards
Varghese

Dietrich Ayala

Aug 18, 2015, 11:45:15 PM8/18/15
to Abhiram Chintangal, dev-gaia, dev-b2g
Thanks for your interst Abhiram! The candidate must have prior
experience doing similar types of porting work, with Android or other
Linux-based systems.

The original port is for Raspberry Pi 1 and is not complete. We want
to do a port to Raspberry Pi 2.

On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 2:52 PM, Abhiram Chintangal

Dietrich Ayala

Aug 18, 2015, 11:47:33 PM8/18/15
to Varghese Thomas, dev-gaia, dev-b2g, Abhiram Chintangal
Hi Varghese! Thanks for your interest. We're looking for someone with
deep experience in this area to drive the project.

However, being a newbie doesn't stop you from participating. Get
yourself a Raspberry Pi 2 and start researching and hacking :D

On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 8:11 PM, Varghese Thomas
<varghes...@gmail.com> wrote:
> HI,
> I would love to work on this although i'm an absolute newbie to this.
>
> Regards
> Varghese
>
> On 19 August 2015 at 03:22, Abhiram Chintangal
> <abhiram.c...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> This sounds quite interesting. I remember reading about a firefox os port
>> on raspberry pi's website [1] . What skills are the candidate expected to
>> have?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> [1]:https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/firefox-os-for-raspberry-pi/
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 5:43 PM, Dietrich Ayala <diet...@mozilla.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> We're looking for someone to help port Firefox OS to Raspberry Pi 2.
>>>
>>> If you are capable of this work and are interested, please contact me.
>>>
>>> If you know of anyone who is a good candidate for this work, please
>>> introduce me!
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Dietrich
>>

>> --
>> Abhiram Chintangal

Abhiram Chintangal

Aug 19, 2015, 12:58:04 PM8/19/15
to Dietrich Ayala, dev-gaia, dev-b2g
Dietrich,

Sounds good. While I do not have any previous experience with porting devices, I have a raspberry pi 2 so
I would be happy to test it. Maybe, further down the line I would be happy to work on something specific :)

Will there be a wiki-page in the future where we can know about the progress of the port?

Thanks!

--
Abhiram Chintangal

Dietrich Ayala

Aug 19, 2015, 1:08:16 PM8/19/15
to Abhiram Chintangal, dev-gaia, dev-b2g
There are lots of docs from the various efforts to do this in the
past. No guarantees on how well any of it will work with the current
state of B2G. Once we start the RPi2 effort we'll probably consolidate
all the Moz wiki stuff.

* Phillip Wagner's manual: https://www.philipp-wagner.com/ffos-for-rpi/manual/

* https://wiki.mozilla.org/Fxos_on_RaspberryPi
* https://wiki.mozilla.org/Foxberry_Pi_Demo
* https://wiki.mozilla.org/Hacking_b2g_on_Raspberry_Pi

Abhiram Chintangal

Aug 20, 2015, 11:13:30 PM8/20/15

On 08/19/2015 01:08 PM, Dietrich Ayala wrote:
> There are lots of docs from the various efforts to do this in the
> past. No guarantees on how well any of it will work with the current
> state of B2G. Once we start the RPi2 effort we'll probably consolidate
> all the Moz wiki stuff.
>
> * Phillip Wagner's manual: https://www.philipp-wagner.com/ffos-for-rpi/manual/
>
> * https://wiki.mozilla.org/Fxos_on_RaspberryPi
> * https://wiki.mozilla.org/Foxberry_Pi_Demo
> * https://wiki.mozilla.org/Hacking_b2g_on_Raspberry_Pi

Thanks! The manual looks quite dense. This should keep me busy during
the weekend.