User agent control?

J. Ryan Stinnett

Feb 3, 2016, 6:55:45 PM2/3/16
to dev-developer-tools
Do we want to offer any more explicit user agent control in RDM?

We've discussed a device list, which can apply the user agent of the device.

Chrome Canary also has a "User Agent Type" setting to choose at high
level from just 3 options: Mobile, Desktop, and Desktop with Touch.
Are we interested in something like this?

Should we have a way to enter a custom user agent? I suppose creating
a custom device is one way to do so, once we have that. (:ntim is
about to land a very basic UA input field for the existing RDM tool,
but so far no plans I've heard for the new one.)

Unsure which direction is best, just some ideas I've noticed in other tools.

- Ryan

Mike Taylor

Feb 3, 2016, 9:00:07 PM2/3/16
to J. Ryan Stinnett, dev-developer-tools
On 2/3/16 5:55 PM, J. Ryan Stinnett wrote:
> Do we want to offer any more explicit user agent control in RDM?

Yes, please. I'd love to ditch my User Agent Switcher add-on for
built-in tools.

> We've discussed a device list, which can apply the user agent of the device.
>
> Chrome Canary also has a "User Agent Type" setting to choose at high
> level from just 3 options: Mobile, Desktop, and Desktop with Touch.
> Are we interested in something like this?

Huh, I don't think I've found that option yet. Recently my Canary got a
revamped device emulation manager, but perhaps I'm in a different
experiment bucket than you.

> Should we have a way to enter a custom user agent? I suppose creating
> a custom device is one way to do so, once we have that. (:ntim is
> about to land a very basic UA input field for the existing RDM tool,
> but so far no plans I've heard for the new one.)

Chrome has both device lists (which control UA + viewport) and the
ability to add custom stuff, which I find very useful:

<https://cloudup.com/cLZNIyWLsaO>

--
Mike Taylor
Web Compat, Mozilla

Karl Dubost

Feb 4, 2016, 1:58:19 AM2/4/16
to Mike Taylor, J. Ryan Stinnett, dev-developer-tools

Le 4 févr. 2016 à 11:00, Mike Taylor <mi...@mozilla.com> a écrit :
> Chrome has both device lists (which control UA + viewport) and the ability to add custom stuff, which I find very useful:
>
> <https://cloudup.com/cLZNIyWLsaO>

On Opera Blink
http://imgur.com/qzbp5wb

--
Karl Dubost, Mozilla
http://www.la-grange.net/karl/moz

Karl Dubost

Feb 4, 2016, 2:10:22 AM2/4/16

Le 4 févr. 2016 à 08:55, J. Ryan Stinnett <jry...@gmail.com> a écrit :
> Do we want to offer any more explicit user agent control in RDM?

What I would like for testing (which goes further than just a Responsive Design Mode but more of a Device Emulation Mode)

This might look like a christmas shopping list, but these are concrete scenarii of testing I had to deal with:

1. A predefined list of devices configuration (updated on a regular basis)
* a curated JSON file server side ala user-agent override, which can be updated by everyone when new devices are coming out. This JSON contains a set of parameters for the device.

2. A way to have a user defined list with a JSON file. Possibly being local, but also with the URI of my choices in the same format than 1. It will help with community build projects. For example, the Webcompat team can share the same list of devices and adjust it time to time. A Web agency can define a set of devices they want to have as profiles.

3. A way to define the screen size

4. A way to define the device pixel ratio

5. A way to emulate Network throttle (wifi, 3G)

6. A way to have a profile PER tab/window, aka I can set my parameters just for this tab/window.

7. A way to define the HTTP request headers for each of the devices. Sometimes depending on the language, etc, we receive different response from the server.

8. (icing on the cake) A way to define a profile of `about:config` preferences associated to a device.

9. A way to activate/remove touch interactions.

10. A way to have two or more profiles in the same tab side by side. Basically we enter a URI in the address bar and we get the two or more profiles displayed at the same time (for example someone testing a design in one shot in different profiles.)

11. A way to fake geolocation.

12. A way to clean up all the parameters, cookies, storage, add ons, etc. in between two tests right here in the panel. You have often to restart the browser for a clean test.

J. Ryan Stinnett

Feb 4, 2016, 11:28:12 AM2/4/16
to Mike Taylor, dev-developer-tools
On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 8:00 PM, Mike Taylor <mi...@mozilla.com> wrote:

>> We've discussed a device list, which can apply the user agent of the
>> device.
>>
>> Chrome Canary also has a "User Agent Type" setting to choose at high
>> level from just 3 options: Mobile, Desktop, and Desktop with Touch.
>> Are we interested in something like this?
>
> Huh, I don't think I've found that option yet. Recently my Canary got a
> revamped device emulation manager, but perhaps I'm in a different experiment
> bucket than you.

For me, it's hidden in the "three vertical dots" menu, as shown in
this screenshot:

http://i.imgur.com/D72d8kE.png

- Ryan

J. Ryan Stinnett

Feb 4, 2016, 12:01:09 PM2/4/16
to hho...@mozilla.com, dev-developer-tools
On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 8:08 AM, Helen Holmes <hho...@mozilla.com> wrote:
>> Do we want to offer any more explicit user agent control in RDM?
>
> I had assumed that custom UA settings would definitely make its way into
> the tool, just not in this release. (I've definitely been designing
> assuming they would, anyway.)

Ah, okay, that's good to know. I had not heard much discussion of it
yet, and I did not see specific user stories for it yet, so I wanted
to make sure we're thinking about it.

- Ryan