I can no longer access to ZTE Open nightly updates

Xes Garcia

Mar 27, 2014, 5:34:12 AM3/27/14
In the past few days I can not get nigthly updates for my device
ZTE Open with Firefox Os 1.3
Is this a temporary thing? Anybody else has this issue?

lgg2...@gmail.com

Mar 30, 2014, 7:20:55 AM3/30/14
to mozilla...@lists.mozilla.org
Hello,

Another one with the same issue.

http://update.boot2gecko.org/inari/ respond 404
Message has been deleted

Ben Kelly

Mar 30, 2014, 10:34:23 PM3/30/14
to Xes Garcia, dev...@lists.mozilla.org
I'm not sure if its related, but we are seeing our automation tests failing as well for the inari. We pull nightly images from somewhere upstream, but it seems likely this is related.

https://datazilla.mozilla.org/b2g/

We'll try to get this fixed soon.

Thanks for the report!

Ben

Ernesto Acosta

Mar 31, 2014, 1:09:19 PM3/31/14
to mozilla...@lists.mozilla.org

Naoki Hirata

Mar 31, 2014, 6:41:40 PM3/31/14
to mozilla...@lists.mozilla.org
We have turned off the inari nightly update as the 1.1 gonk layer is out of date for 1.4 and 1.5 and is causing a lot of crashing to occur.
The OEM would have to supply a gonk layer to match for the inaris to work without crashing.

Regards,
Naoki

On Mar 31, 2014, at 10:09 AM, Ernesto Acosta <elavde...@gmail.com> wrote:

> El jueves, 27 de marzo de 2014 05:34:12 UTC-4, Xes Garcia escribió:
> https://sites.google.com/site/zteopenfirmware/home/firmware-1-3-0
>
> Is true?

Hubert Figuière

Mar 31, 2014, 8:22:15 PM3/31/14
On 01/04/14 06:41 AM, Naoki Hirata wrote:
> We have turned off the inari nightly update as the 1.1 gonk layer is out of date for 1.4 and 1.5 and is causing a lot of crashing to occur.
> The OEM would have to supply a gonk layer to match for the inaris to work without crashing.

Did I miss the announcement for that?

This is something that should have been announced.

Maybe it is still time to have a post *here* (and gaia-dev so long as
they are split) with the complete list of what is obsolete and what not.

Cheers,

Hub

lgg2...@gmail.com

Apr 3, 2014, 10:40:55 AM4/3/14
to mozilla...@lists.mozilla.org
Hello,

And, Why instead of completely closing access, have not been removed, for example, updates from last week, leaving some past?

How do want to try the new patch updates, or if you have solved the problem if there is no access to them?

Can there be some other hidden reason?

lgg2...@gmail.com

Apr 6, 2014, 10:37:23 AM4/6/14
to mozilla...@lists.mozilla.org
Hello,

No one answer about this?

nhi...@mozilla.com

Apr 14, 2014, 12:59:44 PM4/14/14
to mozilla...@lists.mozilla.org
As far as I understand the OTA servers are meant primarily for Mozilla testing purposes. These builds are not necessarily stable builds and they were not intended for people to update their phones officially. I believe that the official updates should be coming from the vendors as Mozilla cannot legally distribute the gonk level (drivers, kernel, android sdk level etc).

Also to note, I believe that the browser app is a window using the browser API to the gecko engine. In order for rendering and such to appear well in the browser app, the gecko engine itself has to be updated.

The announcement issue is my fault. I should have announced it more broadly that the inari updates are going to be shut off due to the crashing levels on 1.5/1.4

Regards,
Naoki

lgg2...@gmail.com

Apr 19, 2014, 12:37:49 PM4/19/14
to mozilla...@lists.mozilla.org
Hello,

In that way, also You must anounce OFFICIALy the END of the ZTE Open (Inari) life (and support of course). That must be because neither ZTE nor Mozilla will take anymore account about it.

I think that It si not the correct way, having problems in the 1.x terminals and jumping to 2.x without solve them.

After the troubles that I had with ZTE Open and seeying this blocking position of ZTE and Mozilla I (and more people I think) have something clear:

- I will no change the terminal after six month because the only by the ZTE and Mozilla faulty support of it.
- I will no trust more (include buy) in ZTE or Mozilla.

Roland Lindner

Apr 20, 2014, 2:29:01 PM4/20/14
On Tuesday, 1 April 2014 00:41:40 UTC+2, Naoki Hirata wrote:
> We have turned off the inari nightly update as the 1.1 gonk layer is out of date for 1.4 and 1.5 and is causing a lot of crashing to occur.
>
> The OEM would have to supply a gonk layer to match for the inaris to work without crashing.
>

> Regards,
>
> Naoki

bummer. i just received my ZTE Open from ZTE_UK ebay store, only to find out that i just wasted 80 Euro on a non-supported device?
you can't be serious?
i explicitly bought this device because it seemed simple to update without having to wait for ZTE to provide an update. Only to find out now that FXOS is the same crap as Android, where the phone manufacturer wont update your phone so you will buy a new one. why thanks a bunch Mozilla, you may want to put that on your MDN, because right now you are transporting a completely different message.
the ZTE open is praised as a developer device. how can it be a developer device when it's basically stuck at FXOS 1.1?
mad dissapointed with this. it was pretty darn hard to find out where to get a device in the first place, no info on what devices now are used as development devices doesnt help either.
i was hoping we would finally get a real open source phone os. but these hopes seem to be based on thin air, as it's obviously going to be the same problem as with Android, where you are completely dependent on the phone manufacturers.
is anyone at Mozilla even interested in resolving this with ZTE or are you going to just blame ZTE and be done with it?
i would apprechiate if anyone could answere here or at least share the plans for the future of hardware devices with FXOS and how that relates to already existing hardware?
thanks,
Roland

jezra

Apr 21, 2014, 2:04:11 PM4/21/14
to dev...@lists.mozilla.org
On Sun, 20 Apr 2014 11:29:01 -0700 (PDT)
Roland Lindner <lin...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, 1 April 2014 00:41:40 UTC+2, Naoki Hirata wrote:
> > We have turned off the inari nightly update as the 1.1 gonk layer
> > is out of date for 1.4 and 1.5 and is causing a lot of crashing to
> > occur.
> >
> > The OEM would have to supply a gonk layer to match for the inaris
> > to work without crashing.
> >

> > Regards,
> >
> > Naoki
> >

> bummer. i just received my ZTE Open from ZTE_UK ebay store, only to
> find out that i just wasted 80 Euro on a non-supported device? you
> can't be serious? i explicitly bought this device because it seemed
> simple to update without having to wait for ZTE to provide an update.
> Only to find out now that FXOS is the same crap as Android, where the
> phone manufacturer wont update your phone so you will buy a new one.
> why thanks a bunch Mozilla, you may want to put that on your MDN,
> because right now you are transporting a completely different
> message. the ZTE open is praised as a developer device. how can it be
> a developer device when it's basically stuck at FXOS 1.1? mad
> dissapointed with this. it was pretty darn hard to find out where to
> get a device in the first place, no info on what devices now are used
> as development devices doesnt help either. i was hoping we would
> finally get a real open source phone os. but these hopes seem to be
> based on thin air, as it's obviously going to be the same problem as
> with Android, where you are completely dependent on the phone
> manufacturers. is anyone at Mozilla even interested in resolving this
> with ZTE or are you going to just blame ZTE and be done with it? i
> would apprechiate if anyone could answere here or at least share the
> plans for the future of hardware devices with FXOS and how that
> relates to already existing hardware? thanks, Roland

Roland, you could always contact the seller and ask them how the device
will be supported. As an early adopter with a ZTE Open, I would
suggest returning the device for a full refund.

lgg2...@gmail.com

Apr 21, 2014, 3:20:38 PM4/21/14
to mozilla...@lists.mozilla.org
Hello,

[troll] How sucessfull answer...from Mozilla UNsupport service...[/troll]

If this is a "oficial" answer about ZTE Open, I see a very short future to
FXOS, more or less like LiMo (two official phones [Sansung] from Vodafone tied to a service (Vodafone 360) that Sansung left out of support in six month and Vodafone close the service no more 2 years after the presentation...)

Ah, LiMo Foundation also was "open", "free", etc. but it won't released any complete source, neiter framework, updates, etc... same way...

Julien Wajsberg

Apr 21, 2014, 5:28:45 PM4/21/14
to dev...@lists.mozilla.org
Note that 1.3 final version was just released, so it's difficult to
require an update to v1.3 from ZTE. Remember that updates is more
difficult than new installs because ZTE must test carefully that your
precious data is not lost. (I'm not saying they plan to provide an
update to v1.3, I really don't know anything about this).
About v1.4 and v1.5, Naoki is right, it was doing more harm than benefit
to provide the nightlies because the phone was crashing. We need a new
gonk layer for this.

Hope this makes some sense. I surely hope ZTE will provide a new gonk
layer for users so that we can move forward, but I don't know if they will.

Regards,
--
Julien

Roland Lindner

Apr 21, 2014, 6:25:53 PM4/21/14
to mozilla...@lists.mozilla.org
thanks for the clarification!
i did not expect ZTE to throw an update out the door as soon as 1.3 was available, i guess it was my misconception that i as a user can just build a newer version and install it on my own.
i also now understand why closing off 1.4 and 1.5 updates had been done on this information. but why also close 1.3, as it seems to be running ok on the device?

Julien Wajsberg

Apr 22, 2014, 3:40:33 AM4/22/14
to Roland Lindner, mozilla...@lists.mozilla.org
Le 22/04/2014 00:25, Roland Lindner a écrit :

> thanks for the clarification!
> i did not expect ZTE to throw an update out the door as soon as 1.3 was available, i guess it was my misconception that i as a user can just build a newer version and install it on my own.
> i also now understand why closing off 1.4 and 1.5 updates had been done on this information. but why also close 1.3, as it seems to be running ok on the device?

I think we never provided stable "nightlies", only the latest nightlies.
So that means whatever is the current development version. I may be
wrong though.

--
Julien

signature.asc