Any plans to support Wayland (or MIR) as a display server on Firefox OS?

Oliver Propst

Aug 31, 2013, 5:03:53 AM8/31/13
to dev...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi,
To my understanding Firefox OS today uses the Android graphics stack
including SurfaceFlinger as its display server. Is there any plans to
implement a compositor that support the Wayland protocol or maybe rather
investigate/research the benefits of that approach, or possibly explore the
possibility to use Ubuntu's new display server MIR?

--
-mvh Oliver Propst

arky

Aug 31, 2013, 7:25:10 AM8/31/13
to mozilla...@lists.mozilla.org
+1

Thanks posting the question Oliver, I wondering the same after looking
at the Philipp's heavily patched release[1] for Raspberry Pi.

Cheers

--arky

[1]
https://www.philipp-wagner.com/blog/2013/04/firefox-os-for-raspberry-pi-now-available/

Andreas Gal

Aug 31, 2013, 11:50:05 AM8/31/13
to arky, mozilla...@lists.mozilla.org

We are not using SurfaceFlinger in FFOS. Our rendering engine (Gecko)
acts as display server, and directly composites into the framebuffer
using OpenGL ES. There is no benefit FFOS could derive from
SurfaceFlinger or Wayland.

Andreas

arky wrote:
> On 08/31/2013 04:03 PM, Oliver Propst wrote:
> +1
>
> Thanks posting the question Oliver, I wondering the same after looking
> at the Philipp's heavily patched release[1] for Raspberry Pi.
>
> Cheers
>
> --arky
>

> [1]
> https://www.philipp-wagner.com/blog/2013/04/firefox-os-for-raspberry-pi-now-available/

Singh, Arun Kumar

Sep 4, 2013, 5:28:48 AM9/4/13
to Andreas Gal, arky, mozilla...@lists.mozilla.org
Hello Andreas,

I also wanted to check if zygote is used in FFOS

-Arun

arky wrote:

Saulo

Sep 4, 2013, 1:44:58 PM9/4/13
Andreas Gal,

The thing is that if the direct composite be replaced by Wayland a library like GTK and Wayland device drivers could be supported brings a bunch of tools to FFOS.

In this case Gaia could be an windowmanager instead of just a limited user interface.

ths,
sauLo

Marco Chen

Sep 4, 2013, 9:58:55 PM9/4/13
to Arun Kumar Singh, arky, mozilla...@lists.mozilla.org, Andreas Gal
Hi,

No, Zygote didn't be used in FxOS.

Sincerely yours.

主旨: Re: [b2g] Any plans to support Wayland (or MIR) as a display server on Firefox OS?

Hello Andreas,

I also wanted to check if zygote is used in FFOS

-Arun
Sep 4, 2013, 10:06:27 PM9/4/13
to Saulo, dev...@lists.mozilla.org
Saulo, please take a look at the FFOS architecture. Our window manager
(called the system app) is implemented in HTML5 and JavaScript. There
is no use of any kind for Wayland in a Web based phone. JavaScript
talks to the rendering engine which directly talks to the OpenGL
driver.

Thanks,

Andreas

Sent from Mobile.

Jed Davis

Sep 4, 2013, 10:41:45 PM9/4/13
to Singh, Arun Kumar, arky, mozilla...@lists.mozilla.org, Andreas Gal
On Wed, Sep 04, 2013 at 09:28:48AM +0000, Singh, Arun Kumar wrote:
> I also wanted to check if zygote is used in FFOS

There's work in progress on doing something similar: https://bugzil.la/nuwa

--Jed

Singh, Arun Kumar

Sep 5, 2013, 2:43:24 AM9/5/13
to Marco Chen, arky, mozilla...@lists.mozilla.org, Andreas Gal
Hi Chen,

Thx for response

In my case if I do not start zygote service, logcat logs are not coming on adb shell (where using b2g ported build on JB 4.2.1) ?
And adb logcat just hang on below line and further logs are not coming
(I/Vold ( 937): Vold 2.1 (the revenge) firing up

Do you know then how to enable adb logcat traces in case not enabling zygote service in my case ?

-Arun