Simulator for Firefox OS 1.4 & 1.5 released!

Alexandre poirot

Apr 9, 2014, 12:23:17 PM4/9/14
to Mozilla B2G mailing list
Hi all,

We just released the first builds of the simulator for Firefox OS 1.4 and 1.5 branches:
  https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/labs/fxos-simulator/

Please ensure installing them manually, as simulator for FxOS 1.2 or 1.3 won't upgrade to these version. That's because we offer a way to install one simulator for each FxOS release!

If you see anything wrong with the simulator, please fill bugs over here:
  https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Firefox%20OS&component=Simulator

Also these releases are a significant step forward the simplication of desktop environment for Firefox OS. We uplifted all simulator features to b2g desktop, so that b2g desktop and simulator are the same environment. All simulator features are also builtin into b2g desktop:
  - home button
  - screen rotation
  - the ability to connect devtools to it:
     Run b2g desktop with following commands:
        ./b2g-bin -profile gaia/profile -start-debugger-server 6000
     And then you can connect from the app manager, with manual connection to localhost:6000.

Having said that, b2g desktop builds are going to have home button and screen rotation only once bug 920198 reaches mozilla-central. (Should happen in next days)

Also, b2g desktop and the simulator are still using distinct gaia profile, but I would like to followup on this and find a way to use the exact same profile.

Next step: Firefox Mulet.
We are going to merge "b2g-desktop/simulator" with "Firefox", in order to get rid of the special Firefox nightly support we are providing though magic spells being done in gaia build system.