my firefox os phone game reviews and game programming blog

Bob Thulfram

Oct 30, 2013, 7:43:07 PM10/30/13
I've started a blog (with 19 posts so far, averaging about one post a day)! My blog will cover two vaguely related subjects:

1. Game reviews on games written for Firefox OS that are in the Marketplace. I test these games on my ZTE Open phone and write about them. I like games and always have and games are starting to appear in the Marketplace. If you're looking for a good game, try here. Feel free to suggest a game for me to review, even if it's a game you wrote!

2. Game programming articles aimed at writing games for Firefox OS for phones. HTML5, of course! I have been doing web programming a long time for fun, but now am retired and doing it full blast. I'm taking it slow and testing everything on my ZTE Open, which seems like a good test bench since it is probably going to be the lowest common hardware for Firefox OS.

Why am I doing this? Well, I have tried almost every other platform and the development tools are irritating. I'm a life-long engineer, now retired, and the best tools are right here with Firefox OS. Get the browser, install the plugin, test it in the simulator, hook up a cable to your phone, and bang, Bob's your uncle, and you have a working app. And the best

Right now I'm doing a series testing out how to have a bouncing ball using HTML5/JavaScript/CSS only, Canvas with drawing commands and bitmaps, and next week, SVG using three different aspects (as it says in Zelda, "It's a secret to everyone"). But I'd like to slowly develop some games in HTML5 over time and invite people to come along to learn (or laugh), and mix it in with game reviews.
After all, games are a way of life! (Or is that, games are just a goddamned hobby?)

So drop by at http://firefoxosgaming.blogspot.com/ and feel free to read, comment, or just play more games. But the focus is 100% on Firefox OS on the phone and 100% on games in the Firefox OS Marketplace (for phones). I'm also on Google+ (google.com/+BobThulfram), Twitter (@thulfram), and Facebook (facebook.com/thulfram). But I'm actually most active on my blog!

Ben Kelly

Oct 31, 2013, 9:27:14 AM10/31/13
to dev...@lists.mozilla.org, Dietrich Ayala
Hi Bob,

This looks like an awesome blog! Would you be interested in having it
show up on planet firefox os?

http://planet.firefox.com/os/

I think Dietrich (CC'd) can help set you up there if you're interested.

Thanks!

Ben

Marek Raida

Oct 31, 2013, 11:38:35 AM10/31/13
Yes, nice blog and content indeed...

Bob Thulfram

Nov 4, 2013, 6:16:14 PM11/4/13
Ben, I don't know what that means to have my blog show up on http://planet.firefox.com/os. I'm happy with using Blogger (I've been using it for years, it is lame, but I understand it.) Please illuminate!

I'm happy with the blog. I'm averaging 5 or 6 posts a week, alternating between Firefox OS game reviews and articles on game programming with HTML5/CSS/JavaScript/SVG. I'm avoiding JavaScript libraries and testing everything I write in my ZTE Open.

Jim Porter

Nov 4, 2013, 6:28:07 PM11/4/13
to mozilla...@lists.mozilla.org
On 11/04/2013 05:16 PM, Bob Thulfram wrote:
> On Thursday, October 31, 2013 6:27:14 AM UTC-7, Ben Kelly wrote:
>> This looks like an awesome blog! Would you be interested in having it
>> show up on planet firefox os?
>>
>> http://planet.firefox.com/os/
>>
>> I think Dietrich (CC'd) can help set you up there if you're interested.
>
> Ben, I don't know what that means to have my blog show up on http://planet.firefox.com/os. I'm happy with using Blogger (I've been using it for years, it is lame, but I understand it.) Please illuminate!

Planet Firefox OS is just a site that syndicates blog posts about
Firefox OS from people's personal blogs*. You wouldn't have to change
anything about how/where you blog; Planet Firefox OS would just repost
your updates with a link back to the original post. Mainly, it's useful
for getting more people to see your posts.

- Jim

* At least, assuming it's anything like Planet Mozilla.

Bob Thulfram

Nov 5, 2013, 6:59:33 PM11/5/13
On Thursday, October 31, 2013 6:27:14 AM UTC-7, Ben Kelly wrote:
Jim Porter explained and it sounds fine. Tell me what you need from me and what I can do to make this happen. I'm just about to dig in to SVG game programming, so more people may be interested in learning about an alternative to CSS or Canvas.