Names for B2G

Jim Straus

Mar 5, 2012, 3:12:33 PM3/5/12
to dev...@lists.mozilla.org
Hello all -
Given the talk in the talk in the company meeting about branding, I
was thinking about alternative names to B2G. My first thought was
something like Chameleon, as it is sort of like a larger gecko and can
change it's appearance easily. Unfortunately Chameleon has been used as
a name for a variety of projects, including a Chameleon OS. I then
extended the idea of changing appearance to shape shifting (no, we don't
want a Werewolf OS). After reading a bit on Wikipedia on shape-shifting
myths, I thought of the swans from Swan Lake. Odette is the Swan
Princess from the ballet, which might be interesting. This lead to the
train of thought about baby swans/geese being ugly, but maturing into
something beautiful. So, the initial stages of B2G could be called
Gosling. Which would also be a tribute or acknowledgement of B2G's
origins on Android, since Java was originally developed by James Gosling
at Sun.
On another tangent, following the appearance changing theme, the
Arctic Fox changes its appearance from summer to winter and since Fennec
is in the same family as the Arctic Fox, it would be the generalized
outgrowth from Fennec. I don't know if the name Arctic Fox has already
been co-opted inside Mozilla by the Fennec team.
Riffing on the "Many Voices, One Mozilla" theme used at the blogging
brown bag is the idea of many platforms (browsers, devices, whatever),
one application that runs everywhere. So that lead to Acapella (many
voices, standing alone) or Choir. Chorus may also be good (many voices,
standing behind), but there was ChorusOS (though I don't think it has
been in use in almost a decade).
Finally, riffing on "Web is the platform", we could pick some spider
names. Orb spiders make unique webs and have a distinctive appearance.
Orb might be interesting. Crab (or Flower) spiders change color
(http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/11/spider-color-changing-mystery/),
but I don't think "Crab" would be a good name :-), but maybe Flower.
The Hawaiian Happy Face spider also changes color, depending on diet,
which ties to how B2G can change appearance depending on replacing
built-in apps.
Anyways, just some ideas.
-Jim Straus

David Flanagan

Mar 5, 2012, 3:33:56 PM3/5/12
to dev...@lists.mozilla.org
Mozilla WOW (Wide Open Web).

(I like Jim's Orb, too.)

David

Fabien Cazenave

Mar 5, 2012, 5:21:25 PM3/5/12
to mozilla...@lists.mozilla.org
Le 05/03/2012 21:33, David Flanagan a écrit :
> Mozilla WOW (Wide Open Web).
>
> (I like Jim's Orb, too.)
>
> David

+1 for Orb in the « web as a platform » semantic field. It sounds nice
though I’m not sure a spider would make a nice logo.

I also like Chorus, not really for « many voices, one Mozilla » but
rather for the idea that the platform should be a harmonious compound of
various sources (apps) in the same partition (the web). Never heard of
ChorusOS until I read Jim’s post… Maybe we could think of other names in
the musical semantic field?

Of course, we could use lizard/bird names, too. That’s the pure Mozilla
semantic field. ^^

:kazé

Gervase Markham

Mar 6, 2012, 9:49:14 AM3/6/12
to Jim Straus
On 05/03/12 20:12, Jim Straus wrote:
> Hello all -
> Given the talk in the talk in the company meeting about branding, I
> was thinking about alternative names to B2G.

I suspect it's not an awesome idea to toss around name suggestions in
public. cjones/agal: who should people send name ideas to?

Gerv

Chris Lee

Mar 6, 2012, 1:56:12 PM3/6/12
to Gervase Markham, Jim Straus, mozilla...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi all,

Please send suggestions to me and I will work with our Marketing team to come up with an in-market product name.

I'll do my best to make sure your suggestions are heard. :)

Thanks,
Chris

On Mar 6, 2012, at 6:49 AM, Gervase Markham wrote:

> On 05/03/12 20:12, Jim Straus wrote:
>> Hello all -
>> Given the talk in the talk in the company meeting about branding, I
>> was thinking about alternative names to B2G.
>
> I suspect it's not an awesome idea to toss around name suggestions in
> public. cjones/agal: who should people send name ideas to?
>
> Gerv

Chris Jones

Mar 6, 2012, 3:34:44 PM3/6/12
to Gervase Markham, Jim Straus, mozilla...@lists.mozilla.org
We have an entire team at Mozilla devoted to branding. cbeard would probably be a good first contact for ideas.

Cheers,
Chris

Chris Jones

Mar 6, 2012, 3:35:47 PM3/6/12
to Gervase Markham, Jim Straus, mozilla...@lists.mozilla.org
Er, disregard this. Wrong Chris ;). See Chris Lee's email.

Matthew Phillips

Mar 7, 2012, 7:16:56 PM3/7/12
to Chris Jones, Jim Straus, Gervase Markham, mozilla...@lists.mozilla.org
All, don't worry. I have the perfect name.

Kitsune.

Kitsune is the Japenese word for fox. In Japanese mythology Kitsune are
shapeshifters.

So you get the fox theme and the shapeshifter theme in one. See Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitsune