Mozilla Localization Hackathon in LATAM -- CALL FOR NOMINATIONS

Jeff Beatty

Apr 10, 2015, 11:15:55 AM4/10/15
to Comunidad Mozilla México
Hi everyone!

The Mozilla l10n-drivers are planning localization hackathons around the
world throughout 2015. We'd like to organize one of these hackathons in
July, 2015. These hackathons are sponsored by Mozilla to cover current
events for product and web localization projects that we ship for
communities who drive their localization.

Due to budget, we're only able to invite 3 people per localization team
in the LATAM region. This form <http://goo.gl/forms/GkuWfLEzDS> is to
allow you to nominate localizers from your localization team to receive
invitations to join us. Please keep in mind as you nominate people that
they must be proficient in English to particiate; it will be the common
language used in the hackathon.

After the nomination period has closed <http://goo.gl/forms/GkuWfLEzDS>,
we (l10n-drivers) will review a nominated localizer's recent activity
and consult with the l10n team leaders to determine who we will invite
to the hackathon from the list of nominated names you provide.

If you're not sure who to nominate, here are some helpful criteria to
consider:
- Who is most actively participating in l10n for products or web
projects in your community?
- Who is a new, passionate localizer in your community that has not yet
attended a Mozilla event?
- Who has a unique perspective on Mozilla and l10n that could help
localizers look at things in a different light?

You have until 17 April, 2015 to nominate people from your community for
invitations to the LATAM l10n hackathon. <http://goo.gl/forms/GkuWfLEzDS>

Thanks,
Jeff
--
*Jeff Beatty*
Localization Engineer

Jeff Beatty

Apr 11, 2015, 11:17:08 AM4/11/15
to Comunidad Mozilla México
Hi everyone,

Some very good questions have arisen about the English request for this
hackathon. I hope that I can clarify the reason for this and answer some
other questions that have come up.

Budget and timing requires us to bring localizers together from various
l10n communities in a region. Very often, this means that the native
languages present do not make communication easy. Within the LATAM
meetup, we are bringing together members of the three LATAM Spanish
communities, the Brazilian Portuguese community, the Esperanto
community, and others. Additionally, 2-3 trained l10n-drivers will be
attending and leading the hackathon. Within the l10n-drivers team, only
3 of us speak Spanish and only one of us speaks Portuguese (well, I
guess saying "speaks" is kind of generous ;-) ). In order to make sure
that communication in the hackathon runs smoothly, I have suggested that
those you nominate for this event speak English.

After some consideration, I realize that this is a big ask. And so, I am
changing my suggestion. Those you nominate should at least /understand/
spoken English, and one you nominate should be able to /speak/ English
to interpret for the group to participate. As long as one of the people
nominated from your l10n team can speak English and the rest can
understand spoken English, I think we can have a successful hackathon
and be inclusive. I welcome any additional suggestions, ideas, or concerns.

Another question that has come up is about who can nominate people. I
hope that all members of the l10n team nominate three people from their
team. It is also ok to nominate yourself to attend. This is why I've
opted for sending this invitation to nominate over mailing list, instead
of to individual members of the l10n team or l10n leaders only.

The last question that has come up is about who should attend. The
hackathon will be split into two parts: the first will be l10n training
& discussion from & with the l10n-drivers; the second will be Mozilla
project translation, testing, and coordination/planning work within your
localization team. Please nominate people (or yourself) who can
participate successfully in these two parts.

I'm very much looking forward to this hackathon! Please let me know if
you have any other questions or concerns. I'm more than happy to address
them. Let's also please keep the discussion active on the mailing list
so that there's an archive of it.

Saludos,
Jeff

El 4/10/15 a las 9:15 AM, Jeff Beatty escibió: