MOZConnect Bhopal India

1 view

Faisal Aziz

Jun 10, 2012, 2:27:22 AM6/10/12
to Mozilla Reps - General, William Quiviger, Mashkawat Ahsan, Vineel Reddy Pindi, Ashish Namdev, communi...@lists.mozilla.org
From: Faisal Aziz <faisala...@gmail.com>

Subject: [Debrief] MozConnect, Bhopal, India

Date: June 10, 2012 10:58:50 PM GMT+05:00

Debrief: MozConnect, Bhopal, India

Umar Farooque,Ashish Namdev and I spoke at the MozConnect at NIIT Center 1

in Bhopal India June 09.

-= Audience and size =-

We got a good audience support. The event was conducted in two sessions.
First session had around 20-30 number of attendees and in second session we
have 40-50 number of attendies.Overall around 100 individuals attended the
event.

-= Our participation =-

*First Session:*

In the first session we had around 25 people from NIIT as well as some of
the Internet Cafe administrators from local regions.The session was awesome
having lots of interactive talks about issues of Firefox. One of the Cafe
Admin asked about creating a special help page for Cafe Admins so that they
can utilize full features of Mozilla Firefox.

I started my first session with introduction to Mozilla
Foundation,Familiarizing Mozilla to audience. They were very excited to
know about the features of Mozilla Firefox. I hv explained them about
various programs of Mozilla in which they can contribute like
SUMO,Localization,Add-on Development,test pilot and Army of Awesome.

Then we had very intresting and educative quiz,Winners got cool stuff from
Mozilla.

They were very happy to learn the things !

*Second Session*:

Excitement of the first session was yet on the top. Its second session for
the MozConnect.

For the second session we had a Guest Speaker Mr.Umar Farooque,Admin and
developer of chirkutonorkut.com, and many brazillian websites.

Ashish Namdev REMO from bhopal and his team memebers Anoop and Bhaskar
joined me to make this event really happening.

I start the session by introducing Mozilla and Its Mission, I explained
them our community heirarchy in contributions,I explained them how they can
be a student rep,or a REMO.

This talk make them excited and they eagerly want to be involved with us in
the Mission.

Ashish Namdev get the steering in his hands and explained very nicely about
Latest Firefox features.He also showed a video of mr.Gary Korvacs on "Do
not track Me".

After that our guest Mr.Omar Farooque got in action and he expresses his
views about open web,He conducted a very innovative and educative HANDS ON
on creation of websites using JOOMLA,WORDPRESS,DRUPAL using FIREBUG
plugin.The practical approach really worked and audience were very happy to
do hand on exercises.

Now i took the command back to me and explained some hand ons on using Xray
goggles. I called some students from the audience,they hv done very nice
hacks on websites.

-= Audience reactions =-

Our goal was mainly to connect people of Bhopal to Mozilla and its
mission. Cybercafé owners invited to our event were very excited about the
event. They agreed to install Mozilla Firefox as their default browser in
internet café’s. The student of NIIT was very enthusiastic in event. They
have shown their zeal to learn the open web. They participated in various
activities, very interactive and supportive. Awesome support for Mozilla
Student rep, we have got 4 student reps among all and rests of them were
told to join army of awesome.They enjoyed learning X ray
goggles,HTML5,Joomla,and many more handons.

-= Evening event =-

After the conference there was a organized meetup where the speakers and
attendees could

mingle, discuss more and exchange experiences. It was a down-to-earth
context and a good

way to talk more.

-= Materials =-

Slides are created using Mozilla Wiki and videos of Mr.Gary Kovacs about
TED do not track me.

Event Video is available at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrPlovFUO3A

-= Other presentations =-

How to buid websites? A modern approach by Mr.Umar Farooque,joomla,firebug
and x-ray goggles.

-= Direct competition =-

Firefox quiz was organized based on which we got our student reps. Winners
are selected as Mozilla Students reps.

-= Organization =-

This was the first event conducted by Mozilla Team in NIIT. They eagerly
cooperated and supported us for the event by providing accommodation and
resources.All went vey good and according to expectation.

-= Overall feel =-

Audience enjoyed the event because it was filled with very interactive
questions, discussion and feedbacks. They enjoyed the practical handons and
much more.

-= Leads =-

Created different Firefox clubs in colleges of Bhopal. Created a channel of
communication over Facebook to enhance the interaction between all of them.

-= Was it worth it? =-

I think so. They were very excited and enthusiastic about Mozilla.

-= Should we go again? =-

Bhopal is capital of Madhya Pradesh having around 2500 computer science
student studying in the vicinity of City. So it’s a very nice and wonderful
opportunity for us to invest our efforts in this city to create a Mozilla
Community Bhopal.

Best regards,

Faisal Aziz

REMO

Pune

--
*Faisal Aziz* <https://reps.mozilla.org/u/FaisalAziz/>
REMO
<https://reps.mozilla.org/u/FaisalAziz/>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrPlovFUO3A

Ashish Namdev

Jun 10, 2012, 4:10:28 AM6/10/12
to Faisal Aziz, Vineel Reddy Pindi, William Quiviger, Mozilla Reps - General, Mashkawat Ahsan, communi...@lists.mozilla.org
Nice work done Fiasal , you had a great seminar and interaction with the
NIIT Students..
Good job , now we have to focus on the community which we created that is
Mozilla Bhopal Community
.
--
*Ashish Namdev <http://reps.mozilla.org/u/AshishNamdev>*