LessChrome HD: More space to browse

Edward Lee

May 20, 2011, 11:35:39 AM5/20/11
to Mozilla Labs Group
We've got another spin-off project from Home Dash. This time focusing
on the chromeless aspect without going totally chromeless.

https://mozillalabs.com/prospector/2011/05/20/lesschrome-hd-more-space-to-browse/

Ed

Jeff Grossman

May 20, 2011, 11:59:52 AM5/20/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
I just installed it.  It does what it says it would, so far so good.  I will play with it over the weekend and offer any feedback that I may have.

Jeff

Hawken Rives

May 20, 2011, 12:20:47 PM5/20/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
If you turn off the combined menu button, the tab strip vanishes when
the chrome does. Other than that, it all works pretty well.

Kartik Agaram

May 20, 2011, 12:33:12 PM5/20/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com

Ahmad Ejaz

May 20, 2011, 12:36:05 PM5/20/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
fantabulous idea..just checked similar idea on chrome for compact navigation...
only problem to me is that this addon doesn't work pretty if u have personas on..good though on default theme
see the screenshot
lesschromeHD.png

crazedpsyc

May 20, 2011, 1:03:13 PM5/20/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
Well that is rather awesome! I keep imagining that exact thing!
Two bugs so far:
  1. the pop-up notification bubbles appear to be pointing at an empty space because the toolbar is hidden
  2. if a toolbar button has a tooltip, it can be hard to click, because the bar hides the instant the tooltip is displayed
But other than that, I love it!

Hoan Do

May 20, 2011, 2:13:29 PM5/20/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
Need fix bug when personas installed

Hoan Do

May 20, 2011, 2:17:37 PM5/20/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
when i open addon manager tab, and i click to move from a web tab to this addon manager tab, the address bar until appear, instead of beong chromeless as latest UI

Hoan Do

May 20, 2011, 2:25:22 PM5/20/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
firefox button is becoming "unclickable" in Nightly Build

Hoan Do

May 20, 2011, 2:30:07 PM5/20/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
There is a transparent space at top of sidebar feature such as History (Ctrl H)

Natanael L

May 20, 2011, 2:37:26 PM5/20/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
Same problem here in Firefox 4, official release, Win7 HP 64-bit SP1.

Natanael L

May 20, 2011, 2:39:19 PM5/20/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, that's a bit buggy. The background should not be transparent on the "popup-chrome" when you hover the mouse over it.

Natanael L

May 20, 2011, 2:41:00 PM5/20/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
To you people who are about to ask for a keyboard command to open it, Ctrl+L works just fine. It brings up the chrome and "highlights" the address bar (puts the cursor in it), just like how the address bar normally would be highlighted by Ctrl+L.

Natanael L

May 20, 2011, 2:47:53 PM5/20/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
Another bug: The toolbar customization view gets screwed up.
See attached screenshot.

Firefox 4.0.1
Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit, Service pack 1
In case it could be relevant (doubt it): Nvidia GeForce GT 320M graphics card
Firefox ChromelessHD toolbar customization bug.png

Natanael L

May 20, 2011, 2:48:55 PM5/20/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
Update: It works in non-maximized windowed mode, but not when maximized.

Hoan Do

May 20, 2011, 2:51:23 PM5/20/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
Nightly Build has the same problem

SIO

May 20, 2011, 3:01:48 PM5/20/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
Two problems here:
  • doesn't show any toolbars in fullscreen mode (F11)
  • when closing tab with mouse gesture (FireGestures), urlbar disappears too quickly (in less than a second). when closing with ctrl+w or middle click works ok
In other usecases it works as expected, nice extension, thank you

crazedpsyc

May 20, 2011, 3:08:26 PM5/20/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
Oh, yeah! It would really be nice if there was just a 2-3 second delay before hiding it :)

Edward Lee

May 20, 2011, 3:10:42 PM5/20/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com, Hoan Do
On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 11:30 AM, Hoan Do <hoande...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There is a transparent space at top of sidebar feature such as History
Thanks. Filed https://github.com/mozilla/prospector/issues/363

Ed

Edward Lee

May 20, 2011, 3:12:46 PM5/20/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com, crazedpsyc
On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 12:08 PM, crazedpsyc <craze...@live.com> wrote:
> Oh, yeah! It would really be nice if there was just a 2-3 second delay
> before hiding it :)
Just checking, you're referring to the auto-hide when you move the
mouse? (As opposed to clicking the page to hide.)

Ed

crazedpsyc

May 20, 2011, 3:29:47 PM5/20/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com, crazedpsyc
Yes, exactly

Edward Lee

May 20, 2011, 3:32:29 PM5/20/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com, SIO
On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 12:01 PM, SIO <sio...@gmail.com> wrote:
> when closing tab with mouse gesture (FireGestures), urlbar disappears too
> quickly (in less than a second)
Can you try out v2 and see if it's better?
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/prospector-lessChrome-HD/versions/2

Ed

Edward Lee

May 20, 2011, 3:33:56 PM5/20/11
On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 10:03 AM, crazedpsyc <craze...@live.com> wrote:
> the pop-up notification bubbles appear to be pointing at an empty space
> because the toolbar is hidden
This should be fixed in v2.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/prospector-lessChrome-HD/versions/2

> if a toolbar button has a tooltip, it can be hard to click, because the bar
> hides the instant the tooltip is displayed

What OS and button are you pointing at? The chrome doesn't hide for me
when pointing at stuff like the Back button or Home button.

Ed

Edward Lee

May 20, 2011, 3:35:31 PM5/20/11
On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 11:25 AM, Hoan Do <hoande...@gmail.com> wrote:
> firefox button is becoming "unclickable" in Nightly Build
Doesn't seem to be limited to just Nightly. This was happening on all
sorts of Windows (XP, Vista, 7) when maximized. Try v2!

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/prospector-lessChrome-HD/versions/2

Ed

Hoan Do

May 20, 2011, 3:52:15 PM5/20/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com, SIO
it is still v1, not v2 :(

crazedpsyc

May 20, 2011, 4:01:16 PM5/20/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com, crazedpsyc
Trying to get v2 now..
OS: Ubuntu 11.04
Button: The first one I noticed was brief (an extension), but the rest are the same
And yes, the back and home buttons do it to me as well.

SIO

May 20, 2011, 4:01:48 PM5/20/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com, SIO
I do not see v2 there

crazedpsyc

May 20, 2011, 4:02:13 PM5/20/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com, SIO

crazedpsyc

May 20, 2011, 4:04:11 PM5/20/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com, SIO
v2 does not seem to be any better with the overly-fast autohiding, but the tooltips are now working fine

SIO

May 20, 2011, 4:05:11 PM5/20/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com, SIO
Okay, with v2 the second problem is gone. Urlbar stays visible as long as when tab is closed by ctrl+w

alienkid

May 20, 2011, 4:34:42 PM5/20/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
firefox button and window controls (minimize, maximize,close) don't work for me with this installed XP SP3 Firefox 4.0.1

Marcelo Araldi

May 20, 2011, 4:35:28 PM5/20/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com, SIO
I'm having the same problems that are listed above on Win XP SP3 32bits Fx 4

- No bars appears on Full Screen mode
- Firefox button don't work when maximized
- Persona don't work with the hided bar

I guess the hiding time it's ok!

:)

Atenciosamente,
Marcelo Araldi.

About.me

2011/5/20 SIO <sio...@gmail.com>
Okay, with v2 the second problem is gone. Urlbar stays visible as long as when tab is closed by ctrl+w

Natanael L

May 20, 2011, 4:37:56 PM5/20/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com, Hoan Do
That works for me.

It's cool that I already have tried two versions of the addon without rebooting Firefox!

sheepoverfence

May 20, 2011, 4:38:04 PM5/20/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
when the Navigation bar is shown, it covers up the top portion of the page.  Could it push down the content of the page, so it doesn't cover up the top portion of the website?  Or at least make that an option that users could choose.
cover up top of page, or not cover up top of page(slide entire page down slightly to show navigation bar)

Marcelo Araldi

May 20, 2011, 4:39:14 PM5/20/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
That's a nice idea SheepOverFence but i believe it would make the addon a little slower

Atenciosamente,
Marcelo Araldi.

About.me

2011/5/20 sheepoverfence <sheepov...@yahoo.com>
when the Navigation bar is shown, it covers up the top portion of the page.  Could it push down the content of the page, so it doesn't cover up the top portion of the website?  Or at least make that an option that users could choose.
cover up top of page, or not cover up top of page(slide entire page down slightly to show navigation bar)

Natanael L

May 20, 2011, 4:44:30 PM5/20/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com, SIO
V2 fixes the Firefox button when maximized.
I'd say Personas support is buggy, but functionally it works.
And yes, when in fullscreen mode it does not work with the mouse, it does not pop up. Although Ctrl+L works to bring it up!

Natanael L

May 20, 2011, 4:46:17 PM5/20/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com

Voo

May 20, 2011, 4:49:04 PM5/20/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
Skimmed through the replies so far and it seems noone has posted this so far:

FF4.01 release on win7 x64:
When opening the menu bar (uh no idea what the correct name would be) with alt, the tabs are overpainted instead of sliding down - a picture is attached.

The other thing which is arguably not necessary a bug but annoying for me is that when I use the middle mouse button to scroll a webpage the address bar automatically appears.
menubar_bug.png

Natanael L

May 20, 2011, 4:52:02 PM5/20/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
I guess that's the same bug as the one where pretty much the same thing happens if you open the toolbar customization window.

Natanael L

May 20, 2011, 4:54:41 PM5/20/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
Voo: "The other thing which is arguably not necessary a bug but annoying for me is that when I use the middle mouse button to scroll a webpage the address bar automatically appears."

Well, THAT bug does not happen to me. Seems strange. Could that be caused by other addons? Something that modifies scrolling behaviour? Windows drivers?

Voo

May 20, 2011, 5:11:18 PM5/20/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
Sorry my fault. I just tried without any addons apart from LessChrome and see there: I couldn't even get the mouse to behave this way. So it does seem that this is just a problem between All-In-One-Gestures and this one and probably AIOG is at fault since it's no default behavior. The curse of plugins - you get just way too customized to them ;)

But just so that anyone knows what I'm talking about another screen attached - would be great if this could be fixed if it's easy to do so, but I've got no idea about the underlying codebase of all three factors (FF, AIOG, LessChrome) and I can understand that this is hardly important for such a prototype.
scrolling.png

Natanael L

May 20, 2011, 5:23:19 PM5/20/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
Unmotivated popping up doesn't happen to me on scroll, but it happens on right click.
See attached screenshot.
Firefox ChromelessHD right click bug.png

will

May 20, 2011, 5:23:54 PM5/20/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
This is brilliant, and allows ff to run far faster than Home Dash. Exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

Gabriel Mariani

May 20, 2011, 5:27:10 PM5/20/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
Could you also move the navigation to the top left like chrome? Actually, i don't even use those that much, since i have those buttons on my mouse. If you could just put the refresh button or stop button up there, that'd rock.

AnxiousNut

May 20, 2011, 6:00:43 PM5/20/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
Quite interesting. It works, but I think there is some room for enhancement.

One thing I loved is that when pressing Ctrl+L (toggles location bar), the bar automatically pops up. However, I couldn't find any way to let it go, including Esc! I had to remove my hands from the keyboard and move my mouse pointer.

Update: I found the key that lets it go, it's Tab. Reasonable and it makes sense since Esc would actually stop the page from loading.

Although it makes the browser more compact and actually gives more space (perfect for my netbook), however, there's something that makes me prefer the existence of the bar on large monitors. I think the reason is because when the navigation bar is shown, the active tab is easier to identify since the whole navigation bar and the active tab are merged with the same color; It's it becomes harder to notice the active tab when it's hidden. ... It also looks worse without the merged navigation bar, the bottom of the tab looks cut or incomplete!

IMHO, this addon is definitely worth the efforts the devs had put into it, and I really wish to see it as a built-in feature in the upcoming releases.

Shahed Faisal

May 20, 2011, 6:25:33 PM5/20/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
Okay, just installed it and seems to be a handy feature.

As my feedback I'd say, the transition is slow and not very smooth. Also it conflicts with the tab bar in full screen mode.

I'm using Firefox 4.0.1 on Ubuntu by the way.

AnxiousNut

May 20, 2011, 6:26:11 PM5/20/11
to mozilla-labs
I believe I found a small bug! When Firefox is in full screen mode, it
usually shows the tabs and the navigation bar once the pointer is near
the top. However, with this add-on enabled, nothing happed when you
point the pointer to the top. Thank God we have F11 key on our
keyboards. XD

Daniel Sandman

May 20, 2011, 6:36:27 PM5/20/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
Really great idea! And a suitable step toward greater screen estate. I just missing one feature and that is when i hoover my tabs i still see the address of my current page open. I would like to see the tab i am hoovering.

matt sweet

May 20, 2011, 6:47:46 PM5/20/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
Hello, I just installed version 2 in FF 4.0.1 (windows xp sp3) and am experiencing the same problem as alienkid was: minimize, maximize, and close are partially greyed out and do not work when clicked. Other addons are: web of trust, app button clear, lastpass, and moveable firefox button.
Otherwise thank you for a great addon.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

antistress

May 20, 2011, 10:30:41 PM5/20/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
On Debian 6.0 Squeeze with Iceweasel 4.0.1 from http://mozilla.debian.net/
LessChrome HD only works with menu bar hidden (menu bar is not hidden by default on Linux)

Van Helsing

May 20, 2011, 11:34:48 PM5/20/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
installed it, felt awesome!

This experiment has a for-sure place in the upcoming builds.

Works awesomely...

There are some things i would like the developer to fix...(screenshot included)

1. I have a bookmarks sidebar. After installing LessChromeHD, i see a small space between Firefox button and the bookmarks sidebar(reserved for search bar). The add-on should automatically extend the sidebar to fill the empty space.

2. If i add a bookmarks toolbar, then there is another empty space below tabs.(reserved for bookmarks toolbar).
bookmarks.png
sidebar.png

Josh Vickerson

May 20, 2011, 11:48:23 PM5/20/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
Love it! Works flawlessly for me on Win7

I wonder, though... Would it be possible to have it move the bookmarks menu button up to the tab bar (next to the tab groups button) so it's always visible, even when the rest isn't? Just makes it easier to navigate to bookmarks, I think.

Edward Lee

May 20, 2011, 11:54:04 PM5/20/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com, Josh Vickerson
On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 8:48 PM, Josh Vickerson <jpv4...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Would it be possible to move the bookmarks menu button up to the tab bar
You should be able to by right-clicking the toolbar and customizing
then dragging the bookmarks menu button up. It looks a little strange
though with a down arrow in the bookmarks menu button right next to
the down arrow for showing all tabs.

Ed

Icy Flame

May 21, 2011, 1:15:42 AM5/21/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com, Josh Vickerson
Firefox 4, it doesn't allow me to use the Firefox button. Any idea when that will be fixed? As of now, I have to press ALT to show the menus, and they overlap with the tab bar.

Edward Lee

May 21, 2011, 2:03:15 AM5/21/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com, Icy Flame
On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 10:15 PM, Icy Flame <coldre...@gmail.com> wrote:
> doesn't allow me to use the Firefox button. Any idea when that will be fixed?
v2 just got approved, so if you still have it installed, you should be
able to go to about:addons and "Check for Updates".

Ed

Edward Lee

May 21, 2011, 2:10:26 AM5/21/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com, Van Helsing
On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 8:34 PM, Van Helsing <eerfee...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The add-on should automatically extend the sidebar to fill the empty space.
Thanks for the screenshots. This should be fixed in v2.

> add a bookmarks toolbar, then there is another empty space below tabs

From the other reports, this seems like it only happens when showing
or hiding the bookmarks toolbar (as well as other toolbars). For now
if you disable then re-enable LessChrome, it'll pick the right height
to use.

https://github.com/mozilla/prospector/issues/353

Ed

Edward Lee

May 21, 2011, 2:15:52 AM5/21/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com, matt sweet
On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 3:47 PM, matt sweet <matt....@gmail.com> wrote:
> minimize, maximize, and close are partially greyed out and do not work
This sounds related to the Firefox button not working (but should be
working in v2).
https://github.com/mozilla/prospector/issues/371

Ed

Edward Lee

May 21, 2011, 2:29:26 AM5/21/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com, Daniel Sandman
On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 3:36 PM, Daniel Sandman <revo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> when i hover my tabs i still see the address of my current page open.
> I would like to see the tab i am hovering.
This was suggested by another person as well:
https://github.com/mozilla/prospector/issues/352

Home Dash has a similar functionality of showing information about the
tab that's being pointed at. In the case of Home Dash, it would show
the whole tab as a full-browser preview and not so much the url as
urls were hidden by default. I was thinking of pulling that feature as
a separate add-on, so at that point it would probably also change the
url shown when previewing.

Ed

Edward Lee

May 21, 2011, 2:33:53 AM5/21/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com, AnxiousNut
On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 3:00 PM, AnxiousNut <anxio...@gmail.com> wrote:
> One thing I loved is that when pressing Ctrl+L (toggles location bar), the
> bar automatically pops up. However, I couldn't find any way to let it go,
> including Esc!
Yeah! That bugs me too! AwesomeBar HD lets you press escape to cancel
out of the location bar and move focus back to the page. You'll
actually need to press Esc twice because the first Esc will clear out
the input box.

> also looks worse without the merged navigation bar, the bottom of the tab
> looks cut or incomplete!

How would you suggest to make it look better? One suggestion was to
add a small border at the bottom edge. But some sites like Google
already add their own border to the top of the page.
https://github.com/mozilla/prospector/issues/345

Ed

Edward Lee

May 21, 2011, 2:41:18 AM5/21/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com, Natanael L
On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 2:23 PM, Natanael L <natan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Unmotivated popping up doesn't happen to me on scroll, but it happens on
> right click.
This is by design so that you can quickly see the current page's url
by just right-clicking where the mouse is. Then you can click the page
again to have the rest of the interface hide away. But perhaps it
should be limited to just the navigation bar showing and not other
toolbars like bookmarks?
https://github.com/mozilla/prospector/issues/372

Ed

Edward Lee

May 21, 2011, 2:45:34 AM5/21/11
On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 1:49 PM, Voo <vood...@gmail.com> wrote:
> When opening the menu bar (uh no idea what the correct name would be) with
> alt, the tabs are overpainted instead of sliding down - a picture is
> attached.
Thanks for the attachment. That should be this issue:
https://github.com/mozilla/prospector/issues/350

This is actually slightly tricky to fix in that the the menu bar does
shift the whole page down as opposed to LessChrome puts the navigation
above the page. So making sure they shift correctly requires a bit of
magic.

> The other thing which is arguably not necessary a bug but annoying for me is
> that when I use the middle mouse button to scroll a webpage the address bar
> automatically appears.

Once I found a mouse with a middle scrollwheel, this was easy to
reproduce and fix in v2. It happens on all platforms and not just
windows:
https://github.com/mozilla/prospector/issues/355
Ed

Paul Morris

May 21, 2011, 2:47:32 AM5/21/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
This was my thought too -- eventually it would be cool to have the back and forward buttons in the tab bar, as well as whatever other buttons you want up there.  Otherwise it adds a step to get at these buttons.

But overall, I think this is great!  I look forward to using it!

Natanael

May 21, 2011, 2:50:15 AM5/21/11
to Edward Lee, mozill...@googlegroups.com

Seriously, leave that to Ctrl+L. Tell people that command to put the cursor in the address bar exists instead. It would be less confusing to newbies.

- Sent from my phone

Edward Lee

May 21, 2011, 2:55:53 AM5/21/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com, Paul Morris
On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 11:47 PM, Paul Morris <paulw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> it would be cool to have the back and forward buttons in the tab bar
Actually.. seems like you can customize the navigation buttons
(back/forward/stop/reload) and move them into the tab bar! So you can
do this today if you wanted.

Although, there have been suggestions to show the navigation area as
you pointed close there as in show the controls if the mouse would
have been over the buttons anyway. However, that leads to trouble if
there's something on the page that happens to be in that same area.
Also, detecting motions towards that area is very difficult as the
difference between moving to the back button vs moving to a link at
the top of the page looks very similar.

Ed

Hoan Do

May 21, 2011, 3:03:15 AM5/21/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
I think back and forward button must be move to left of tab bar to increase the productivity. Now if I want to back to previous website, I must move the arrow to the tab bar, then move to the back button.
A problem: because of Aero feature in windows 7, these buttons are too dificult to see if the desktop background is dark.Maybe you need make an alternate button to improve.

Natanael L

May 21, 2011, 3:09:13 AM5/21/11
to mozilla-labs
Alt+Left arrow, Alt+Right arrow. THERE'S your productivity! :)

On 21 Maj, 09:03, Hoan Do <hoandesig...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think *back and forward button* must be move to *left of tab bar *to
> increase the productivity. Now if I want to back to previous website, I must
> move the arrow to the *tab bar*, then move to the *back button*.
> *A problem*: because of Aero feature in windows 7, these buttons are too

fire gift

May 21, 2011, 4:06:37 AM5/21/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
these incremental improvements are way better than things like home dash. too many new elements to learn.
Message has been deleted

Jishnu

May 21, 2011, 4:16:07 AM5/21/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
Implementation of mouse gestures with the addon will make navigation easier.
Also the navigation bar should be shown when navigating to another page from the same tab.

Hoan Do

May 21, 2011, 4:27:46 AM5/21/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
If turn off Tab on Top, UI becomes so crazy :))

Hoan Do

May 21, 2011, 4:28:29 AM5/21/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
Many people don't know hotkey.

Van Helsing

May 21, 2011, 5:01:57 AM5/21/11
to mozilla-labs
hmm...seems im gonna go mad!

Guys, I did the following steps and got rid of the two issues I
posted. Might be helpful to you!

1. disable the addon
2. restored toolbar defaults
3. setup the toolbar again
4. enabled the addon

Natanael L

May 21, 2011, 5:11:11 AM5/21/11
to mozilla-labs
Let's teach them. :)

Ctrl+L = bring up address bar.
Alt+Left = go back in history
Alt+Right = go forward

Easy! Just write it down somewhere for the newbies.

Van Helsing

May 21, 2011, 5:25:36 AM5/21/11
to mozilla-labs
Thanks Lee, i had already guessed the re-enable way of fixing gaps. I
also re-arranged my toolbar settings which might have been helpful too
(I couldn't figure out that it helped or not. to be precise). But for
now, its working perfectly and hiding both the URL bar and Bookmarks
toolbar without any annoying gaps.

Now for something more, I would like to make hidden toolbars appear
just by raising the mouse to the tab bar, instead of pointing towards
any open tab (this is useful when you are working with only one tab).
Rest is perfect. Thanks Mozilla for this awesome add-on.

Erlan Sergaziev

May 21, 2011, 5:47:08 AM5/21/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
It's a great idea, however, I think it would be better if the NavBar appeared when clicking on the tab not when it's hovered. It would then be more consistent with tab switching and Ctrl-L, i.e. show when explicitly requested.

Van Helsing

May 21, 2011, 6:58:21 AM5/21/11
to mozilla-labs
Hey Lee, one more thing came up...

In the add-on page, the toolbar unexpectedly appears when the tool
button is clicked which is below the tab bar. Nice part is that the
context menu from it (tool button) is still accessible!

Pablo Picasso

May 21, 2011, 7:40:47 AM5/21/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
This is a great idea. Previous Hide toolbar extensions seems to move page up or down when autohiding.

The only problem is with custom toolbar. I do have Roboform toolbar at right end of url bar. This roboform part is not getting hidden and unable to access to
 top rt side of any page.

But Bookmark toolbar is getting hidden without any problem.
Thank you.

Josh Vickerson

May 21, 2011, 8:30:20 AM5/21/11
to mozilla-labs
Check out this userscript, the screenshot shows some nice work. I'd
like to see LessChrome become more like it by default!

http://userstyles.org/styles/45652/firefox-4-autohide-navigation-bar-alternative

On May 20, 11:54 pm, Edward Lee <edi...@mozilla.com> wrote:
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Paul Morris

May 21, 2011, 11:37:01 AM5/21/11
On Saturday, May 21, 2011 2:55:53 AM UTC-4, Edward Lee wrote:
Actually.. seems like you can customize the navigation buttons
(back/forward/stop/reload) and move them into the tab bar!

Cool!  Didn't know you could do that!  It's working great for me, and really puts the icing on the cake for LC-HD.  Looks like you can move any of the standard buttons up there, including the bookmarks menu, RSS feed, Fullscreen, (although it looks like the bookmarks menu needs an icon, as it just becomes blank when you move it there).  (I'm on FF 5.0a2)  Looks like  the "bookmark this page" star button is attached to the URL bar so can't be moved up there, but other than that this is great.

Although, there have been suggestions to show the navigation area as
you pointed close there as in show the controls if the mouse would
have been over the buttons anyway. However, that leads to trouble if
there's something on the page that happens to be in that same area.

 Yeah, that seems like trouble to me, for all those reasons.

Paul Morris

May 21, 2011, 11:40:57 AM5/21/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
Just noticed that if you open a new window and don't have the preference set to "always show the tab bar," then your new window doesn't have a tab bar and there's nothing to hover, and no way to access the URL bar.  Just another edge case to be aware of.  :)

Van Helsing

May 21, 2011, 12:29:58 PM5/21/11
to mozilla-labs
experiencing the same problem as Matt Sweet & Alienkid's

I switched off the Aero Desktop and saw tht the top-right section with
3 buttons (minimse, maximise & close) are greyed out, thus not
clickable!

spvn

May 21, 2011, 1:39:51 PM5/21/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
Everything working fine and dandy for me. One very very important piece of suggestion I have though that I really really hope gets implemented.

When I first installed the plugin without restarting my browser, it was buggy. The bar wouldnt even appear when I hovered my mouse over the tabs. Even when I hit ctrl+k to use the search box, everything remained hidden but still worked fine (i.e. after I hit enter my search results appeared, I just couldn't see what I was typing). Then I restarted my browser and actually got annoyed that the bar kept appearing whenever I hovered over the tabs.

I'm hoping that users are given the option to actively disable the navigation and bookmarks bar so that they don't even show when you mouseover. Instead you got to do an action at the top (e.g. left clicking on an empty part of the tab bar or something like that? I'm not really sure what the action should be) before the bars appear. Because currently, I'm actively stopping myself from moving my mouse to the top of the screen for fear of triggering that annoying bar from appearing. I know this sounds like a UI nightmare (not even being able to see what you type) but I'm sure I'm not the only one who wishes the bars would remain hidden till a very simple gesture is made.

If this is not possible, I hope that the "lag time" before the bar disappears once the mouse is no longer hovered over the tab bar is completely removed. It's annoying to see the bar linger there for a moment even after my mouse is no longer there. The slight "lag time" really annoys me.

Oh and a bug I've found is that if you disable the Nav bar with the plugin installed, everything goes very wonky the next time you mouseover the top.

Thanks for the great plugin though! Hope it gets improved upon!

spvn

May 21, 2011, 1:43:16 PM5/21/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
Oh and I just realised something else. The nav bar should ONLY appear when mouse movement is involved IMO. If I ctrl+tab through my tabs I don't want the stupid bar to keep appearing, I can tell where I am without the address bar.

SIO

May 21, 2011, 1:49:22 PM5/21/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
I disagree. It is as useful as when switching tabs with mouse. User(me) needs to see url of the tab he switches to

Ad

May 21, 2011, 3:00:54 PM5/21/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
I rather like it but I'm not keen on the back and forward buttons being hidden all the time. Is there no way to place them in the same row as the tab list?

For further bonus points, can the whole tab bar be compressed by about two tab lengths or so and have everything fit between the Aurora button and the minimize/maximize/close buttons of the UI, like Aurora does when its in full screen? I'm not sure why it doesn't do that for the windowed mode already.

Ad

May 21, 2011, 3:07:19 PM5/21/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
I don't mind the address bar appearing when I switch tabs. It disappears pretty quick.

I'm not keen on the amount of mousing I have to do to access the location bar on my wide screen monitor though. It's fine if my tabs are along the left hand side of the browser window.. or in the middle. But in order to click into the location bar when I access a tab on the far right, I have to mouse all the way down and to the left to get at it.. and this is after mousing up to the tab in question already.

If in this interface they moved the back/forward buttons to a stable place on the far left of the interface, they could introduce a compact location/search/addon bar that appears right below the tab in question.. so the action of clicking into the location bar is always, 'mouse to tab, mouse down slightly and click.'

Make the first row the location/awesomebar, the second row search/home/bookmark, everything else on the third row if it needs to exist.

Paul Morris

May 21, 2011, 3:35:45 PM5/21/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
On Saturday, May 21, 2011 3:00:54 PM UTC-4, Ad wrote:
I rather like it but I'm not keen on the back and forward buttons being hidden all the time. Is there no way to place them in the same row as the tab list?

Yep!

View Menu > Toolbars > Customize > Drag-n-drop

This makes it that much sweeter!

Ron R

May 21, 2011, 5:28:36 PM5/21/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
Yet another successful Prospector add-on (I have them all installed besides Home-Dash... didn't feel comfortable with it).
The only issue I have with it (for now) is that there seems to be a missing 'border' between the tabs and the actual browsing window.
It has a feeling of being a bit cut-off.

BaKbOnE

May 21, 2011, 5:28:43 PM5/21/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com

Menu in print preview does not show up when LessChrome HD. I have to disable add on to show the print menu.

Martín René Vilugrón

May 21, 2011, 9:08:02 PM5/21/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
Nice work!
Adding the urlbar hiding mechanism of fennec combined with this, whould be soooo much sweeter
Saludos!

Judah Richardson

May 21, 2011, 9:11:48 PM5/21/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
Great idea, very well implemented. Love it :)

Ad

May 21, 2011, 10:24:31 PM5/21/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
... genius..!

Icy Flame

May 21, 2011, 11:58:00 PM5/21/11
to mozilla-labs
As I said in my other mozilla labs thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla-labs/browse_thread/thread/8dd32d46c2c64a44

Minimize, restore and close buttons are greyed out when maximized,
just like the firefox button was.

Paul Morris

May 22, 2011, 2:24:20 AM5/22/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
Just thought I'd point out a minor thing that I noticed:  With many open tabs, using two finger swipe to scroll left or right through the tabs causes the URL bar to disappear.  Seems like the URL bar should stay visible since the mouse pointer is still hovering above the tabs, and since you're still engaged in navigating through your tabs rather than looking at the content of a web page.  Not a major issue but something you might want to consider when you get to the "polish" stage.
It is loading more messages.