Announcing Add-on SDK Version 1.5!

dcm

Feb 21, 2012, 6:35:30 PM2/21/12
to mozilla-la...@googlegroups.com
Rocketeers!

Yet another 6 weeks has gone by and we have just released Add-on SDK version 1.5! This release has two major features and quite a few important bug fixes. As always, there is quite a bit more and you can read all about this release in the official Release Notes. https://wiki.mozilla.org/Labs/Jetpack/Release_Notes/1.5

The two major features in 1.5 are:

* Mobile add-on development! Now you can start developing add-ons for  the mobile version of Firefox! For this initial release we have the page-mod API working so that you can, among other things, create add-ons that will display mobile-friendly versions of websites that do not have that option. We have a brief introduction to developing mobile add-ons on the add-ons blog as well.

* l10n! We now have the beginnings of localization in the Add-on SDK! For this initial support localizers will be able to translate javascript strings. For a primer on how to make your add-on localized see the documentation: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/developers/docs/sdk/1.5/dev-guide/addon-development/l10n.html

Look for more APIs to have mobile support as well as more options for localization in coming versions of the Add-on SDK.

We have made our usual announcement about this release on the Add-ons Blog.

The version we shipped is the same as the 1.5RC2 candidate and represents revision 28749058b4a71637f663ef8074a6ea3fe98da77d in the source code repository.

https://github.com/mozilla/addon-sdk/commit/28749058b4a71637f663ef8074a6ea3fe98da77d

or

https://github.com/mozilla/addon-sdk/tree/1.5

There is a great deal of work that has gone into this release which is scary and exciting at the same time. We are turning a corner on new features landing in the SDK after a few stability releases. Expect great new things from the Jetpack project!

Ben Bucksch

Feb 22, 2012, 6:14:40 AM2/22/12
On 22.02.2012 00:35, dcm wrote:
> The two major features in 1.5 are:
> * Mobile ... page-mod
> * l10n! ... able to translate javascript strings

Way to go! Thanks.

Ben

CIAvash

Feb 23, 2012, 4:07:43 AM2/23/12
On 02/22/2012 03:05 AM, dcm wrote:
> * l10n! We now have the beginnings of localization in the Add-on SDK!
> For this initial support localizers will be able to translate
> javascript strings. For a primer on how to make your add-on localized
> see the documentation:
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/developers/docs/sdk/1.5/dev-guide/addon-development/l10n.html

There are mentions of localizing HTML and CSS files, what about
package.json(for localizing preferences)?

Jeff Griffiths

Feb 23, 2012, 10:50:14 AM2/23/12
to mozilla-la...@googlegroups.com

That's an excellent point!

Localization of package.json is not currently implemented; a further
complication of this is that package.json cannot be edited using Add-on
Builder, so in that case not only can you not localize prefs, you can't
even create them. I'll discuss this with Alex today to see what he has
in mind.

Dave did mention that this is the beginnings of localization support,
right? :D

Jeff