mongodb and sql azure syncronization

JS

Apr 5, 2012, 2:45:58 PM4/5/12
to mongodb-user

Hello,

I was wondering what is the best path for mongodb and sql azure
syncronization
we have a requirement to make sure change to SQL Server table ends up
in mongodb.

i thought this would be possible by leveraging the Microsoft sync
frameowork/toolkit.

JS

Apr 5, 2012, 3:26:21 PM4/5/12
to mongodb-user

more simply just SQL Server.

JS

Apr 5, 2012, 5:03:32 PM4/5/12
to mongod...@googlegroups.com

Id like to know if this can be done bidirectionally and if there is any framework, open source code or service that helps us do this.

The following sounds interesting…

http://directdialogs.com/mongodb-on-windows-azure

“We developed a sync utility using Sql Azure’s data sync feature, that’s used to sync a user’s data between Sql Azure and Mongo. This also gives us the flexibility to clear the less frequently used Mongo collections and keep only the collections that belong to the frequent users.”

Not sure if they leverage SQL Azure DataSync

But I need to know how to do this without SQL Azure DataSync in the middle.

Can you help?

gregor

Apr 10, 2012, 11:25:21 AM4/10/12
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
I'm not aware of any framework which will allow you to use Sync Framework with MongoDB. I think the approach would be as in the post you linked to, to write your own custom middleware that would do the synchronisation for you. I will check into it however and update you if I find anything.

Cotega Monitoring

May 16, 2012, 4:06:22 PM5/16/12
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
You are correct, that the Sync Framework could be used to set up this type of sync, however, it would require that you create your own Sync Framework provider for MongoDB which is far from simple and as far as I know there is no such provider available.

Do you actually need to do bi-directional sync (meaning changes are sync'ed back and forth) or do you just need to move the data one way from SQL Azure to MongoDB?  If it is the latter, then it would be much simpelr to build this type of thing and you would not need the complexity of sync framework to do this.

Let me know and I will see if I can help you some more based on your needs.