MongoDB 1.7.5 (unstable) Released

Eliot Horowitz

Jan 26, 2011, 6:24:24 PM1/26/11
to mongod...@googlegroups.com, mongo...@googlegroups.com, mongodb-...@googlegroups.com
MongoDB 1.7.5 has been released.
This is the last release in the 1.7.x development cycle.
The next release will be 1.8.0-rc0.

Notable Changes:
- single server durability: http://www.mongodb.org/display/DOCS/Journaling
- extent allocation improvements
- improved replica set connectivity for mongos
- getLastError improvement for sharding

Since this is the last 1.7.x release, we are looking to get a lot of
people testing this release.

Downloads: http://www.mongodb.org/downloads
Change Log: http://jira.mongodb.org/browse/SERVER/fixforversion/10214

Please let us know of any issues,
-Eliot

oferfort

Jan 27, 2011, 7:56:01 AM1/27/11
to mongodb-user
any estimation on the 1.8.0 release?

Eliot Horowitz

Jan 27, 2011, 8:27:25 AM1/27/11
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
You can track jira for any dates.
Depends on how user testing goes.
rc0 should be out in a week or 2

Thibaut Barrère

Jan 27, 2011, 10:58:46 AM1/27/11
to mongodb-user
Congratulations, and thanks for the single server durability
especially!

-- Thibaut

Chuck Remes

Jan 27, 2011, 11:06:42 AM1/27/11
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
Why is 10gen only doing a single beta release to cover the *most visible* new feature slated for 1.8? Single-server durability is a pretty big change (based on the commits I have seen), so I'm curious why it rates only a single beta release?

Or do you consider 1.8rc0, rc1, rc2, etc. as places for fixing significant bugs with this feature?

cr

Eliot Horowitz

Jan 27, 2011, 11:12:07 AM1/27/11
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
1.7.5 isn't a beta release, its a dev release.
1.8.0-rc0 is kind of like "beta".

Thibaut Barrère

Jan 27, 2011, 11:14:29 AM1/27/11
to mongodb-user
Some people (see http://news.ycombinator.org/item?id=2148305 for
instance, but I've heard that somewhere else) wonder why the --dur
wouldn't be the default, to avoid people shooting themselves in the
foot.

Is it planned ? What's your opinion on that ?

-- Thibaut

Eliot Horowitz

Jan 27, 2011, 11:34:42 AM1/27/11
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
Durability is a new feature, and should be treated as such.
While it is currently not the default, that may change in a later release.

Keith Branton

Jan 31, 2011, 12:24:24 AM1/31/11
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
I've been checking every day for this in synaptic, but it hasn't appeared yet. I have

line in my /etc/apt/sources.list file, and have mongo-unstable installed. This is how I normally get updates, but synaptic tells me the latest version is 20101221. Am I doing something stupid or have the packages not been updated yet?

Keith Branton

Jan 31, 2011, 12:24:34 AM1/31/11
to mongod...@googlegroups.com

Also, It would be really nice if the package versions contained the mongo version somehow.

1.7.5-20110127 would be much nicer than just a date - would that be very difficult to do?

Alvin Richards

Jan 31, 2011, 12:36:53 AM1/31/11
to mongodb-user
Let me ping the engineer and get an ETA for the Ubuntu packages.

-Alvin

Alvin Richards

Jan 31, 2011, 12:44:37 AM1/31/11
to mongodb-user
So just tried this myself on 9.04 and got

mongodb-unstable 20101221

Unstable is always the current development branch, i.e. 1.7.x

However, this date is old so will check why there is not a more recent
build for unstable.

-Alvin

Adrien Mogenet

Jan 31, 2011, 12:54:43 PM1/31/11
to mongodb-user
Congrats mates !

I did some benchmarks today, I will perform these tests again later
with the 1.7.5.

Richard Kreuter

Jan 31, 2011, 1:14:10 PM1/31/11
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
We're planning on changing to roughly this versioning scheme on the
packages at the 1.8 release.

Regards,
Richard

MarkCallaghan

Jan 31, 2011, 3:09:53 PM1/31/11
to mongodb-user
For single server durability and a change that requires multiple
writes to MongoDB files are all writes recorded in the journal before
any might be attempted?

Eliot Horowitz

Jan 31, 2011, 3:20:46 PM1/31/11
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
@mark yes, exactly.

MARK CALLAGHAN

Jan 31, 2011, 7:18:05 PM1/31/11
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
Wow. That is great news.

--
Mark Callaghan
mdca...@gmail.com

Adrien Mogenet

Feb 2, 2011, 1:50:10 PM2/2/11
to mongodb-user
Lovely mongostat ... I love it :-)

Moreover, I got better performances when queries have to access disk
than Mongo 1.6.5... but set-up was a bit different, I'll launch my
tests with the same config tomorrow.