Re: Windows Server Installation Issues

Nestor Ledon

Oct 17, 2012, 10:19:27 PM10/17/12
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
Update:

I have followed this tutorial step by step:

And it all goes down hill when I move on to run this:
C:\mongodb\bin\mongod.exe --config C:\mongodb\mongod.cfg --install

Error:
error command line: unrecognized line in ' ■l'

I have not taken any extra steps nor have I created any files outside of the shell, what am I doing wrong?

On Wednesday, October 17, 2012 5:14:38 PM UTC-5, Nestor Ledon wrote:
I've got an instance with AWS running: Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Base-2012.10.10

Tried to install and configure the latest MongoDB on it with no success.

Is there a very well thought guide out there that I could use to get me going?
Followed a couple that led to dead ends.

Thanks in advance.

Nestor Ledon

Oct 17, 2012, 10:41:58 PM10/17/12
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
More updates!

Also, I managed to run some commands that seemed to have done something:
C:\mongodb\bin\mongod.exe --logpath C:\mongodb\log\mongo.log
C:\mongodb\bin\mongod.exe --dbpath C:\mongodb\data\db

Running those commands have populated my data/db & log folders.

Still can't complete the tutorial however, so no service... :/

Nestor Ledon

Oct 17, 2012, 11:06:17 PM10/17/12
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
Even more updates!

I can now run the command:
C:\mongodb\bin\mongod.exe --config C:\mongodb\mongod.cfg --install

I had to remove my mongod.cfg first before it would run. O.o;

Still can't seem to set the service name or anything else for that matter.
I feel like it could have something to do with the config. But the tutorials says nothing of it.

Tad Marshall

Oct 18, 2012, 3:34:03 PM10/18/12
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
So far, I'm unable to duplicate your issue.

The text "error command line:" will be displayed by mongod.exe when the Boost::program_options parser throws an exception, and the rest of the line it displayed is the text for that exception.  "unrecognized line in ' ■l'" seems to show two errors; an unrecognized line and an inability to display the name of the file that contained the unrecognized line.

The config file is completely optional; it can be a convenience later if you want to change the settings of the Windows service because you can now change those settings in a standalone file instead of needing to edit the registry or reinstall the service.  Since the config file is getting in your way, try installing the service without it.

Try the command line

C:\mongodb\bin\mongod --install --logpath C:\mongodb\log\mongo.log --logappend

You should see "all output going to: C:\mongodb\log\mongo.log".

Type out the log file to see if the installation was successful.  If so, try starting the service:

net start MongoDB

If this doesn't work either, let us know what happens.

Tad Marshall

Oct 18, 2012, 8:01:02 PM10/18/12
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
The problem turned out to be that the config file was saved in Unicode (wide characters) instead of ANSI/UTF-8.  Things work as expected when the file is re-saved as ANSI.

Nestor Ledon

Oct 18, 2012, 9:06:01 PM10/18/12
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
Oh dear... lol I'm pretty sure that file came in my installation zip. Anyhow, thank you sooo much!