non-ascii characters in map reduce

hunzer

May 4, 2012, 9:27:03 PM5/4/12
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
I'm having a non-ascii issue with map reduce. I already have the 10gen 2.0.4 ubuntu version of mongo which got rid of the spider-monkey utf-8 error message on the mongo interactive console. My data has some non-ascii characters like these "NEW FANTASY® Jeans & Apparel". I can db.find query the collection in the mongo interactive tool no problem & inside the nodejs mongoose library. However when I run map-reduce, it'll throw an assertion 10213, "non ascii character detected" message at this offending field. Do I need to remove to remove those characters? Thanks.

Eliot Horowitz

May 6, 2012, 12:35:12 AM5/6/12
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
Can you send the startup banner from mongod?

hunzer

May 6, 2012, 2:31:43 PM5/6/12
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
hi & here's the server log :

Sun May  6 11:26:04 [initandlisten] MongoDB starting : pid=771 port=27017 dbpath=/var/lib/mongodb 64-bit host=myhost
Sun May  6 11:26:04 [initandlisten] db version v2.0.4, pdfile version 4.5
Sun May  6 11:26:04 [initandlisten] git version: 329f3c47fe8136c03392c8f0e548506cb21f8ebf
Sun May  6 11:26:04 [initandlisten] build info: Linux ip-10-110-9-236 2.6.21.7-2.ec2.v1.2.fc8xen #1 SMP Fri Nov 20 17:48:28 EST 2009 x86_64 BOOST_LIB_VERSION=1_41
Sun May  6 11:26:04 [initandlisten] options: { config: "/etc/mongodb.conf", dbpath: "/var/lib/mongodb", logappend: "true", logpath: "/var/log/mongodb/mongodb.log" }
Sun May  6 11:26:04 [initandlisten] journal dir=/var/lib/mongodb/journal
Sun May  6 11:26:04 [initandlisten] recover : no journal files present, no recovery needed
Sun May  6 11:26:04 [websvr] admin web console waiting for connections on port 28017
Sun May  6 11:26:04 [initandlisten] waiting for connections on port 27017

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 9:27 PM, hunzer <ch...@simiwako.com> wrote:
> I'm having a non-ascii issue with map reduce. I already have the 10gen 2.0.4
> ubuntu version of mongo which got rid of the spider-monkey utf-8 error
> message on the mongo interactive console. My data has some non-ascii
> characters like these "NEW FANTASY® Jeans & Apparel". I can db.find query
> the collection in the mongo interactive tool no problem & inside the nodejs
> mongoose library. However when I run map-reduce, it'll throw an assertion
> 10213, "non ascii character detected" message at this offending field. Do I
> need to remove to remove those characters? Thanks.

Tyler Brock

May 7, 2012, 12:25:27 PM5/7/12
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
Is it in the key or value portion of the field?

-Tyler

hunzer

May 8, 2012, 12:42:28 PM5/8/12
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
It's a unique indexed value in the document. It fails when encountering the offending document just right b4 calling map function. But you know what, for some combination of stuff I did, not sure exactly what though, that problem seems to be gone now. No more non-ascii assertions in mapreduce. Funny. Maybe due to the transition between my upgrading of the mongod versions & restarting perhaps? Thanks anyway.

--hunzer

Tyler Brock

May 9, 2012, 9:41:54 AM5/9/12
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
Ok, that is good news.

Wish you were able to re-produce though so we can squash the bug if there is one.

Thanks Hunzer, please be sure to let us know if you see it again.

-Tyler