PHP Driver version 1.3.0beta1 released

Derick Rethans

Aug 16, 2012, 3:25:13 PM8/16/12
to mongo...@10gen.com, mongodb-...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

We have just release version 1.3.0beta1 of the MongoDB driver for PHP.

This is a new major release, which has a rewritten connection handling
backend. It has been rewritten to form a new, improved framework for
handling connections. On top of this new framework, we have also
implemented support for read preferences, which are a new feature in
MongoDB 2.2. The new framework no longer has the concept of a connection
pool, but instead make sure there is only one connect per
host/port/db/username combination.

We also have introduced some deprecation notices for features and
methods that are going to disappear in version 2 of the driver, which we
plan to release before the end of the year.

New major features in this release to support the MongoDB 2.2 release:

- Support for the aggregation framework through the aggregate() helper.
(See: http://docs.mongodb.org/manual/applications/aggregation/)
- Support for read preferences and read preference tags
(See: http://docs.mongodb.org/manual/applications/replication/#replica-set-read-preference)

Known issues (to be addressed before 1.3.0):

- Authentication has not been implemented it, so this release will only
work for installations without authentication enabled.
- Support for connections to multiple mongos nodes is not implemented yet.
- It has not been tested on anything but Linux.
- It only works for PHP 5.3 and PHP 5.4, but we will add support for PHP
5.2 too.

The source for the extension can be found at
http://pecl.php.net/mongo

You can either download and install the source manually, or you can
install the extension with:

pecl install mongo-alpha

or update with:

pecl upgrade mongo-alpha

If you find any issues with the driver, please file them in our JIRA at
https://jira.mongodb.org/browse/PHP

with kind regards,
Hannes, Jeremy and Derick