Advice for an 18 year old aspiring comedian...

C.J. Toledano

Aug 14, 2005, 5:26:56 AM8/14/05
to moderated.alt.comedy.standup
Hello,
My name is C.J. and I'm an aspiring comedian. I started back in May at
a room here in Erie, PA called Jr.s Last Laugh. I'm in love with comedy
and since then I've done open mics everywhere I can. Since then I've
auditioned for the Cleveland Improv (got it, but they're not too picky)
, did an open mic at the Comix Cafe, and I'm moving to Pittsburgh on
the 25th of this month and got a spot in an open mic at The Improv
there on the 31st. What I really wanted to ask was if any of you
experienced comics have any advice, pointers, tips, tricks etc that
you'd be willing to share. Being that I just started I love looking for
inspiration wherever I can find it. I'd love to hear about anything,
from how the business works, what to look for and even horror stories.
Thanks in advance!

Shaun Eli

Aug 14, 2005, 9:59:08 AM8/14/05
to moderated.alt.comedy.standup
Tricks? No. Tips, yes. Work hard. Stage time, stage time, stage
time. Tape every set you can, and see what gets laughs. Fix or drop
what doesn't, no matter how funny YOU think it is. YOU are not the
customer.

And don't be afraid to have to drop even large chunks of jokes if
they're not working. 90% of all new ideas suck, whether it's comedy,
inventions or anything else. Are you too young to remember New Coke,
the Pontiac Aztek or the War in Iraq?

Oh, and it really helps to be nice to people!

Plus, there are a lot of resources on the internet, such as
Chucklemoney.com, comedysoapbox.com and The Standups Asylum, where you
can read what other comedians have to say. But use common sense-- not
everyone is a genius and in any profession some people are bitter.

You're lucky, you're starting out early. You have lots of time. It
takes hundreds upon hundreds of shows to get good, so don't let anyone
discourage you (sometimes even well-meaning friends can be cruel).
Just about every famous comic has said that he or she really stunk
his/her first year-- remember that everybody and everything gets better
with practice.

Knock 'em dead on stage!

-Shaun Eli
www.BrainChampagne.com
Brain Champagne: Clever Comedy for the Smart Mind (sm)

Bent

Aug 14, 2005, 11:26:40 AM8/14/05
to moderated.alt.comedy.standup
Listen to CDs....listen to the performances from the 70's like Flip
Wilson, Bill Cosby, Steve Martin, Bob Newhart, Pryor and work your way
up to now. It is great to hear the evolution of the joke. Delve into
the history of stand up because it can inspire your writing at the same
time.
Bent
www.benthanlen.com

miesner

Aug 14, 2005, 12:13:01 PM8/14/05
to moderated.alt.comedy.standup
Hey CJ your name sounds familiar. Was it the comix cafe in buffalo
open mic that you did? I host that one.

Jim

C.J. Toledano

Aug 14, 2005, 12:46:04 PM8/14/05
to moderated.alt.comedy.standup
Yeah, that was the one and damn was that room tough. That was my first
experience of no crowd response. It was a good experience though.

Tim Shell

Aug 14, 2005, 3:31:26 PM8/14/05
to moderated.alt.comedy.standup
Keep getting on stage as much as possible.
Work on developing a good, marketable persona.

Louis C.K.

Aug 14, 2005, 4:00:15 PM8/14/05
to moderated.alt.comedy.standup
i started when i was 17. i got a good head start, skill-building wise,
but I sometimes think I missed out on a lot of "Life" that I could be
drawing from now. Try to go to college and get some knowlege. If you
don't do that, make a deliberate attempt to read a lot and educate
yourself, so that you don't just becauase a siv for American pop
culture. If you spend all your time on stage talking about the cover
of People magazine, you won't go far, you won't last, and you'll be
bored before you get good. Take advantage of the head start you're
giving yourself by stopping as often as possible to live your life,
explore America and grow as a person. When you go to some shit town to
do a one-nighter, get there early and walk around before the show.
Watch people. Observe and remember.
Go on stage as often as possible. Any stage anywhere. Don't listen to
anyone about anything. Just keep getting up there and try to be funny,
honest and original.
Know that it's not going to be easy. Know that it's going to take a
long time to be good or great.
Don't focus on the career climbing. Focus on the getting funnier. The
second you are bitching about what another comic is getting you are
going in the completely wrong direction. No one is getting your gig or
your money.
Keep in mind that you are in for a looooong haul of ups and downs and
nothing and something. It takes at least 15 years, usually more, to
make a great comic. most flame out before they get there.
And yes, be polite and courteous to every single person you deal with.
Not because that will make you a better comedian, but because you're
supposed to do that.
As far as how to get funny or write jokes, no one can teach you that.
Just make sure you know what you're trying to do and that you're doing
it in a way no one else is doing.
If anyone tells you they can teach you how to do comedy, they are
lying.
I agree with Bent that you should fill yourself with the history of
standup. Watch Richard Pryor Live in Concert, Bill Cosby himself, and
listen to all of their albums as well as any other comedy cd you can
get your hands on.

Good luck

LCK

http://www.louisck.com

Shaun Eli

Aug 14, 2005, 4:59:20 PM8/14/05
to moderated.alt.comedy.standup
One more thing, to add to what Louie C.K. said-- GO TO COLLEGE. Not
only is it an important life experience, but having a good day job is a
BIG PLUS when starting out in comedy. I can't tell you the number of
times I've heard an amateur comic say "I wish I had money for that
class" or "They asked me for a head shot but it's $400 to get them done
and I don't have the money" or "If only I could afford a car, I could
do all those gigs 200 miles away..."

Tim Shell

Aug 15, 2005, 2:44:12 AM8/15/05
to moderated.alt.comedy.standup
I don't want to sound negative here. But one of the most
important things you can do is know when to give up.
Not necessarily being funny. Being funny is like breathing.
But there will come a point when you are offered an
opportunity to get a steady paycheck, and there's a sweet
woman there who loves you and there's a chance you can
afford a house and a car and you might even be able to
breed, if that's your thing. At that point, you need to weigh
the chances that you'll fulfill your dream of being the
greatest stand-up ever against maybe a more obtainable
dream of gaining some kind of decent living and a more
"normal" life. And when you add it all up, it might be best
for you to quit. Get off the stage. Hey, work as a producer
or a writer on a sitcom, or what the fuck even a plumber
or a guy that makes macrame plant hangers. You may be
much happier that way. Do comedy as a hobby. But face
the fact that you'll never host the Tonight Show.

But hey, maybe it won't be that way for you. You're 18.
Maybe you'll knock your girlfriend up two years from now
and end up working in her dad's shoe store. Maybe
you'll just keep hanging on, foresaking all that "normal"
life crap and working as a semi-successful stand-up in
some little room in Vegas until you drop dead on stage
one night when you're 78. Because you love it. Maybe
that will be enough for you to keep from becoming
embittered and sour and poisoned by regret. Nobody
will know except you. What the fuck, right? Life is
short. Try everything once. Eat your vegetables. See
a doctor and get rid of it.

Curtin

Aug 15, 2005, 8:27:46 AM8/15/05
to moderated.alt.comedy.standup
"The second you are bitching about what another comic is getting you
are going in the completely wrong direction."

All too often, I tend to fall into this mental trap. Thanks for the
reminder, louis.
-JC

C.J. Toledano

Aug 15, 2005, 3:52:06 PM8/15/05
to moderated.alt.comedy.standup
That comment was both insightful and...weird? I understand fully what
you're saying. I'm not trying to insult you but you remind of the old
guy in a bar who talks to a youngn while taking shots about the
opportunities you once had and blew it all away. But, your words are
very much appreciated. Thanks.

Joe Palen

Aug 25, 2005, 2:27:09 PM8/25/05
Louis C.K. wrote:
> [...]

> Don't focus on the career climbing. Focus on the getting funnier. The
> second you are bitching about what another comic is getting you are
> going in the completely wrong direction. No one is getting your gig or
> your money.
> Keep in mind that you are in for a looooong haul of ups and downs and
> nothing and something. [...]

Great advice for newcomers... and an ongoing reminder for old-timers.
Just days ago, I was reminding myself about this (once again). I'd
(once again) fallen into the wormhole of tracking the progress of other
comics, then (once again) took a deep breath and resumed working on
myself.

Thanks (once again) for sharing.

BTW... Love the HBO special. I've got a wife and two young daughters
myself, so a lot of it really hit home.

Joe

http://palen.com/joe/comedian