Some errors reported

Rickard Andersson

Apr 4, 2012, 2:22:00 PM4/4/12
to mod-spdy...@googlegroups.com
I'm getting a lot of these errors in my apache error log:

[11001:11005:WARNING:http_to_spdy_filter.cc(113)] HttpToSpdyFilter is not the last filter in the chain: http_to_spdy

[12658:12658:ERROR:mod_spdy.cc(475)] Speculative read failed with status 20014: Internal error

I'm not sure if it's a known problem, but just tell me if you need more information for debugging purposes.

Some environment info:

Server Version: Apache/2.2.22 (Unix) mod_fastcgi/2.4.6 mod_ssl/2.2.22 OpenSSL/1.0.1-beta3
Server Built: Feb 6 2012 22:31:11
Server loaded APR Version: 1.4.5
Compiled with APR Version: 1.4.5
Server loaded APU Version: 1.4.1
Compiled with APU Version: 1.4.1
Module Magic Number: 20051115:30

mod_spdy revision 280

Matthew Steele

Apr 6, 2012, 1:38:53 PM4/6/12
to mod-spdy...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the report. Hmm. Both of those errors should be mostly
harmless, but I'm a little surprised/concerned that you keep getting
them.

The "Speculative read failed" error most likely means that something
went wrong with mod_ssl when mod_spdy tried to initiate the SSL
handshake to determine if the client wanted to use SPDY or not. When
such an error occurs, mod_spdy simply gets out of the way, allowing
Apache to try to use normal HTTPS with that client. A couple things
you could try looking for to help diagnose:

- If you raise the logging verbosity (say, to "info"), does mod_ssl
print any errors just prior to the "Speculative read failure" error
that might indicate what is going wrong?
- Just after the "Speculative read failure" error, is there any
indication in the logs as to whether that client went on to connect
successfully via HTTPS, or if the client disconnected? Again, you may
need to raise the logging verbosity.

As for the "HttpToSpdyFilter is not the last filter in the chain"
warning, that is much more confusing to me. That warning is issued
when there is an output filter later in the chain that the
HTTP-to-SPDY translation filter, which normally shouldn't happen. But
the really strange thing is that the warning you're quoting indicates
that the filter that comes later in the chain is the HTTP-to-SPDY
filter itself! So I'm not sure what's going on. Can you tell me what
other Apache modules you have installed? (You can check with
"apache2ctl -M").

Cheers,
-Matthew

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 2:22 PM, Rickard Andersson
<rickard.ande...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm getting a lot of these errors in my apache error log:
>
> [11001:11005:WARNING:http_to_spdy_filter.cc(113)] HttpToSpdyFilter is not
> the last filter in the chain: http_to_spdy
>

> [12658:12658:ERROR:mod_spdy.cc(475)] Speculative read failed with status
> 20014: Internal error
>

> I'm not sure if it's a known problem, but just tell me if you need more
> information for debugging purposes.
>

> Some environment info:
>

> Server Version: Apache/2.2.22 (Unix) mod_fastcgi/2.4.6 mod_ssl/2.2.22

> OpenSSL/1.0.1-beta3Server Built: Feb 6 2012 22:31:11Server loaded APR

> Version: 1.4.5Compiled with APR Version: 1.4.5Server loaded APU

> Version: 1.4.1Compiled with APU Version: 1.4.1Module Magic

Lars Kneschke

Apr 18, 2012, 6:24:22 AM4/18/12
to mod-spdy...@googlegroups.com
Hello!

I have the same messages in my log file. Maybe the problem is located in mod_fastcgi.

I installed the latest debian packages under Ubuntu 11.10.

Jorang

Apr 18, 2012, 7:11:28 PM4/18/12
to mod-spdy-discuss
I'm also getting the later error:
[7939:7944:WARNING:http_to_spdy_filter.cc(113)] HttpToSpdyFilter is
not the last filter in the chain: http_to_spdy

Wondering if this has to do with mod_deflate...

Matthew Steele

Apr 19, 2012, 5:17:51 PM4/19/12
to mod-spdy...@googlegroups.com

Tim Harrison

Apr 27, 2012, 1:18:07 PM4/27/12
to mod-spdy...@googlegroups.com
I'm having the same issue with Centos 6.0 and Apache.

-Tim

tim peterson

Jun 2, 2012, 12:44:25 AM6/2/12
to mod-spdy...@googlegroups.com
i'm also getting these error messages. Here's the Apache modules I have loaded:

# apache2ctl -M
Loaded Modules:
 core_module (static)
 log_config_module (static)
 logio_module (static)
 mpm_itk_module (static)
 http_module (static)
 so_module (static)
 alias_module (shared)
 auth_basic_module (shared)
 authn_file_module (shared)
 authz_default_module (shared)
 authz_groupfile_module (shared)
 authz_host_module (shared)
 authz_user_module (shared)
 autoindex_module (shared)
 cgi_module (shared)
 deflate_module (shared)
 dir_module (shared)
 env_module (shared)
 mime_module (shared)
 negotiation_module (shared)
 pagespeed_module (shared)
 php5_module (shared)
 reqtimeout_module (shared)
 rewrite_module (shared)
 setenvif_module (shared)
 spdy_module (shared)
 ssl_module (shared)
 status_module (shared)
Syntax OK

Recently, I added mod_pagespeed and since my website performance has been terrible (have to reload several times to get my pages to load). I'm wondering if mod_spdy doesn't work well with mod_pagespeed as both are newer modules?

thoughts?

thanks,
tim