Announcing mod_pagespeed binary release 1.7.30.1

Huibao Lin

Nov 7, 2013, 7:21:24 PM11/7/13
to mod-pagespe...@googlegroups.com

The mod_pagespeed team is pleased to announce a new beta binary release, version 1.7.30.1. This release contains numerous new features, enhancements, and bug fixes.

Installation Instructions

If you are currently on the beta channel, you can update as usual:

If you installed the .rpm package, you can update with:

sudo yum update mod-pagespeed-beta

sudo /etc/init.d/httpd restart

If you installed the .deb package, you can update with:

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade

sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart

If you are currently on the stable channel and would like to switch to the beta channel, first uninstall mod_pagespeed and install the beta package from:

https://developers.google.com/speed/docs/mod_pagespeed/download

Instructions for building from source are available at:

https://developers.google.com/speed/docs/mod_pagespeed/build_from_source

New Features

Default shared memory metadata cache

Create an on-by-default memory cache shared by all server processes.

Fetch HTTPS resources for Apache server

Support secure resource fetching using HTTPS for Apache server.

Fetch HTTPS resources using mod_spdy for Apache server

Support faster HTTPS resource fetching, if you also use mod_spdy version 0.9.4.1 or higher.

Inline Google Fonts API CSS

Reduce the number of blocking round trips required to start rendering a web page using the Google Fonts API.

Preserve URL relativity

Specify whether to preserve the relative URLs or convert them to absolute URLs.

Optimize multiple URL-valued attributes

Support optimizing more than one URL-valued attribute per element.

Implicit cache-lifetime for resources

Specify the cache lifetime for resources that do not have “Expires” or “Cache-Control” headers.

Maximum time for inplace resource rewriting

Specify the maximum time to wait for a resource to be rewritten. If the rewriting completes within this time, the rewritten resource will be served, otherwise the original resource will be served and rewriting will continue in the background.

Maximum size of the combined CSS

Specify the maximum size that CSS files may be combined to.

Maximum size of images that will be optimized

Specify the maximum size of decompressed images that PageSpeed will try to optimize.

Minimum size of JPEG images that will be compressed in progressive format

Specify the size threshold that determines when to use progressive format for compressing images to JPEG. Progressive JPEG is more effective for compressing large images, while non-progressive JPEG works better for smaller ones.

Resize images to rendered dimensions

Resize images to, or close to, the actual dimensions that they will be displayed. The rendered dimension may be smaller than that specified by the width and height attributes.

Better image compression and resizing

Use more optimized image resizing technique and remove OpenCV. Replace libjpeg with the more efficient libjpeg-turbo.

Configuration defaults updated

Starting in this release, we combine JavaScript and convert PNG images to JPEG by default.

Issues Resolved

  • Issue 198 Optimize handling of multiple references to the same image on a page at different sizes.

  • Issue 376 Image resizing should utilize width/height information in CSS classes.

  • Issue 423 Support fetching resources over HTTPS.

  • Issue 466 Provide a way to optimize all resource attributes in a tag.

  • Issue 503 Preserve URL relativeness.

  • Issue 664 Strip Connection and other hop-by-hop headers when saving input resource.

  • Issue 755 Memory leak with 'graceful' restart relating to shared memory starting in 1.4.

  • Issue 756 ModifyCachingHeaders should not touch Cache-Control headers if downstream-caching is enabled.

  • Issue 757 Make maximum image size configurable.

  • Issue 758 Add configurability for DisableRewriteOnNoTransform and system test.

  • Issue 759 Cleanup race in SchedulerBlockingFunction::Block() and ::Cancel().

  • Issue 773 Repeat image inlined at low resolution when local_storage_cache is enabled.

  • Issue 799 Console slow when logfile is large.

  • Issue 803 Metadata cache will reminder not-optimizable for 5 minutes after rate-limiting drops a fetch.

  • Issue 809 mod_pagespeed disables mod_headers/mod_expires when proxying content with cache-control set.

  • ngx_pagespeed Issue 42 Added in-place resource optimization.

  • ngx_pagespeed Issue 356 Support setting options in response headers.

  • ngx_pagespeed Issue 367 Fix intermittent crash on reload.

  • ngx_pagespeed Issue 433 Unable to compile with gcc 4.8.

  • ngx_pagespeed Issue 447 Log message to the correct vhost-specific log file.

  • ngx_pagespeed Issue 463 Native fetcher crashes when running out of file descriptors.

  • ngx_pagespeed Issue 522 Fix use-after-free in logging.

  • ngx_pagespeed Issue 532 Added script to turn apache-format pagespeed_libraries.conf into nginx-format.

  • ngx_pagespeed Issue 539 File cache and logdir are created and given appropriate permissions.

Huibao Lin

mod_pagespeed team

Google

chirpinternet

Nov 8, 2013, 4:33:21 AM11/8/13
to mod-pagesp...@googlegroups.com, mod-pagespe...@googlegroups.com
We're seeing some errors following this upgrade:

[Fri Nov 08 11:30:53 2013] [warn] [mod_pagespeed 1.7.30.1-3609 @9728] Default shared memory cache: Cache named pagespeed_default_shm already exists.

[Fri Nov 08 11:30:53 2013] [warn] [mod_pagespeed 1.7.30.1-3609 @9729] Default shared memory cache: Cache named pagespeed_default_shm already exists.

[Fri Nov 08 11:30:53 2013] [warn] [mod_pagespeed 1.7.30.1-3609 @9730] Default shared memory cache: Cache named pagespeed_default_shm already exists.

[Fri Nov 08 11:31:14 2013] [warn] [mod_pagespeed 1.7.30.1-3609 @9867] Default shared memory cache: Cache named pagespeed_default_shm already exists.

Matt Atterbury

Nov 8, 2013, 8:29:49 AM11/8/13
to mod-pagespeed-discuss, mod-pagespeed-announce
-announce

Are you running multiple instances of mod_pagespeed on the server?
A *quick* look at the code indicates that you'll need to explicitly configure/disable the now-on-by-default shared memory cache on all but one of them.
I *think* the option is ModPagespeedCreateSharedMemoryMetadataCache but someone more knowledgeable will chime in with the right answer.

m.

"Klaatu barada nikto"                          (754) 444-6288

Jeff Kaufman

Nov 8, 2013, 8:53:34 AM11/8/13
to mod-pagespeed-discuss
On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 8:29 AM, Matt Atterbury <matte...@google.com> wrote:
> I *think* the option is ModPagespeedCreateSharedMemoryMetadataCache but
> someone more knowledgeable will chime in with the right answer.

To turn off the default share memory cache you would set:

ModPagespeedDefaultSharedMemoryCacheKB 0

If this is necessary and you're not running multiple instances of
mod_pagespeed on your server, though, something I wrong and we need to
fix it.

Jeff

Maksim Orlovich

Nov 8, 2013, 9:44:00 AM11/8/13
to mod-pagesp...@googlegroups.com, dun...@chirp.com.au
On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 4:33 AM, chirpinternet <dun...@chirp.com.au> wrote:
> We're seeing some errors following this upgrade:
>
> [Fri Nov 08 11:30:53 2013] [warn] [mod_pagespeed 1.7.30.1-3609 @9728]
> Default shared memory cache: Cache named pagespeed_default_shm already
> exists.
>
> [Fri Nov 08 11:30:53 2013] [warn] [mod_pagespeed 1.7.30.1-3609 @9729]
> Default shared memory cache: Cache named pagespeed_default_shm already
> exists.
>
> [Fri Nov 08 11:30:53 2013] [warn] [mod_pagespeed 1.7.30.1-3609 @9730]
> Default shared memory cache: Cache named pagespeed_default_shm already
> exists.
>
> [Fri Nov 08 11:31:14 2013] [warn] [mod_pagespeed 1.7.30.1-3609 @9867]
> Default shared memory cache: Cache named pagespeed_default_shm already
> exists.

Hi.. Were there any restarts during this log, or is it just a single startup?
The only reason I can find for this warning is in the initial process
during server
startup (which is harmless except for the noise, which is also only
startup-only
and won't fill your logs), but you seem to have multiple PIDs mentionned here,
which isn't consistent with this (2 PIDs would be unsurprising given Apache
config check..)

chirpinternet

Nov 9, 2013, 3:11:59 AM11/9/13
to mod-pagesp...@googlegroups.com, dun...@chirp.com.au
Here's where it started - with an apache restart:

[Fri Nov 08 11:27:21 2013] [notice] Graceful restart requested, doing restart

[Fri Nov 08 11:27:21 2013] [error] [mod_pagespeed 1.7.30.1-3609 @1898] SharedMemCache: can't create/attach segment pagespeed_default_shm/metadata_cache of size 52445184

[Fri Nov 08 11:27:21 2013] [warn] [mod_pagespeed 1.7.30.1-3609 @1898] Unable to initialize shared memory cache: pagespeed_default_shm.

[Fri Nov 08 11:27:22 2013] [notice] Apache/2.2.22 (Debian) configured -- resuming normal operations

[Fri Nov 08 11:27:22 2013] [warn] [mod_pagespeed 1.7.30.1-3609 @7780] Default shared memory cache: Cache named pagespeed_default_shm already exists.

[Fri Nov 08 11:27:22 2013] [warn] [mod_pagespeed 1.7.30.1-3609 @7781] Default shared memory cache: Cache named pagespeed_default_shm already exists.

[Fri Nov 08 11:27:24 2013] [warn] [mod_pagespeed 1.7.30.1-3609 @7790] Default shared memory cache: Cache named pagespeed_default_shm already exists.

It's probably because most/all of the shared memory on this server has been allocated to postgres:

# ipcs -m

------ Shared Memory Segments --------

key        shmid      owner      perms      bytes      nattch     status

0x0052e2c1 1933312    postgres   600        335224832  4

# cat /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax

536870912

Setting the cache size to zero has stopped the errors:

    ModPagespeedDefaultSharedMemoryCacheKB 0

Maksim Orlovich

Nov 13, 2013, 2:53:42 PM11/13/13
to mod-pagesp...@googlegroups.com, dun...@chirp.com.au
Thanks for the additional info. What MPM are you using?
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mod-pagespeed-discuss/e668dc04-4279-4d6d-9d26-478920eea291%40googlegroups.com.

chirpinternet

Nov 14, 2013, 2:52:59 AM11/14/13
to mod-pagesp...@googlegroups.com, dun...@chirp.com.au
Just the standard prefork MPM.  Server is Debian (7.2) on OpenVZ (2.6.32).  Single website and single Apache (2.2) instance.

Pedro Cavaleiro

Nov 21, 2013, 11:30:56 AM11/21/13
to mod-pagesp...@googlegroups.com, mod-pagespe...@googlegroups.com
I have the same problem with a nginx server.
nginx 1.5.7 with php-fpm 5.5.6

nginx -t
nginx: the configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf syntax is ok
nginx: [warn] [ngx_pagespeed 1.7.30.1-3609] Default shared memory cache: Cache named pagespeed_default_shm already exists.
nginx: configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf test is successful

Jeff Kaufman

Nov 21, 2013, 1:47:48 PM11/21/13
to mod-pagespeed-discuss
These warnings are not a problem, and are expected with normal usage.
We need to remove the warnings, but for now you can just ignore them.