Re: [mnemosyne-proj-users] putting unlearned cards inbetween the scheduled cards

Peter Bienstman

Jun 5, 2013, 11:37:51 PM6/5/13
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

This is not implemented, as the philosophy is that it's no good trying to learn new stuff before making sure you haven't forgotten old stuff.

Sort of a workaround is tagging the cards you want to memorise and then using 'activate cards' to switch between old and new cards.

Peter

achimne...@web.de wrote:
Hei everyone,

I would love to have an option to display the unmemorized cards in random order inbetween my scheduled cards.
Is there any possibility?

Greetings,

Achim

Vit

Jun 7, 2013, 1:51:07 PM6/7/13
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com, achimne...@web.de
    Hi, Achim.
There is a workaround using the Browser ( will not violate the SRS philosophy, I think - if you will not let the DUE cards to become Overdue).
     It is like Cramming;  you will view the Question; try to recall ...; look at the Answer.
You will be able to pick cards in random order.
  After ALL cards viewed, go to Review screen and quickly Grade the cards - accepting the Default grade or clicking '1' for lapsed cards.

  I am curious what benefits you will get from this randomness ?

Have a good day.

Vit

Peter Bienstman

Jun 8, 2013, 1:58:31 AM6/8/13
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Actually, I still think that currently my earlier suggestion with
'deactivate cards' is your best bet at the moment. Then you can also
determine yourself when you want to learn new stuff as opposed to
reviewing old stuff.

Everything you suggest could also be implemented as a scheduler
plugin, so feel free to suggest this on our uservoice feature request
forum, so that people can vote for it.

Cheers,

Peter

Quoting achimne...@web.de:

> Hei Vit,
> thanks for the answer, but I did not understand your succestion.
>
> The reason is that I am learning a language. I have now about 2000
> cards (front and back == ca 1000 foreign words) everyday I have
> about 100 cards scheduled.
> If I did a new lection in busuu, I have about 20 new words, that are
> shown to me at the end of my daily schedule. This has three
> disadvantages, I think.
>
> 1. I am after 100 cards a kind a bored or tired, when I know, now
> will be more cards even harder to remember. I think would be better
> if they would appear inbetween the "easier" allready known cards.
>
> 2. The new cards appear as front cards and as back cards, sometimes
> very close to each other, what results in very easy remembering.
> example:
> question: casa --- answer: house
> next question: house --- answer: casa
> If the new cards would apear inbetween the allready known cards,
> this would appear less often.
>
> 3.If I forgot a "known" card, I rate it as a 1, to see it again. I
> would like if all the forgotten words would apear inbetween the
> current cards, and not just at the end.
>
> I dont know if I am missing something, or do mnemosyne wrong, but
> for me this would be something usefull and not to difficult to
> emplement, or?
> Maybe this would affect the reasearching part of mnemosyne?
>
> how ever, just for your information,
> boa noite

Peter Bienstman

Jun 12, 2013, 12:40:09 AM6/12/13
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Yes, that's what i meant.

Thanks for the feedback!

Peter

achimne...@web.de wrote:
Peter, just to be sure, you mean that I tag the new cards with for example "new" and when I want to learn them, I deactivate all other cards and do some of the new words, and after switch back to normal learning and so on?

I will give it a try.

And I will write this idea to the uservoice forum, lets see what happens :)

Thanks for the answer and for mnemosyne too.