(ESS) Earthquakes (Chapter 12 Reading Check)

jeffli...@gmail.com

Feb 21, 2012, 5:45:26 PM2/21/12
to mla-...@googlegroups.com

Note: Since you normally receive a lecture online, have power notes, notes, and so many other resources there should be no problem in answering a quiz with specific key terms so study hard all the topics on the lecture guide. This will be a hard quiz for someone who did not watch videos, read power notes, and studied key terms.

Home Learning / Prep:

  • Study Tools:
    • See A Good Routine to Study for Mr. Lima’s Class / Study Skills File for help on how to study
    • Study Plate Tectonics (Unit 6: Topic 1) Chapter / Power Notes
    • Access Topic Lecture Guide
    • Video Lectures Series: Earthquakes
    • Additional Materials available at Skydrive folders
    • Extra resources may be available on WikiSpaces if students create it by the time you do the topic
    • Students are encouraged to search Web for their own resources including video lectures (ThinkWell, MindBites, Brightstorm, Khan Academy, Learning4Mastery, and other YouTube Videoes, etc), tutorials, websites, etc.
    • Remember that you get bonus mastery poitns for completing Daily Tracking Worksheet
    • You may get mastery points for study tools used to prepare
  • Prepared Labs / Activities
    • There are many activities available at the skydrive folder. Choose activities of your choice. Check with teacher to see how many points each will be worth and for him to set up the lab for you

 Other Tasks:

  1. Bring Higher Order Questioning Guide worksheet to class
  2. Bring Class Work Tracking Worksheet to class

 Class:

Topic:

  • Earthquakes

Objectives:

Direct Content Objectives:

SC.912.E.6.1:

Describe and differentiate the layers of Earth and the interactions among them.

SC.912.E.6.2:

Connect surface features to surface processes that are responsible for their formation.

SC.912.E.6.3:

Analyze the scientific theory of plate tectonics and identify related major processes and features as a result of moving plates.

SC.912.E.6.4:

Analyze how specific geologic processes and features are expressed in Florida and elsewhere.

Indirect Content Objectives:

SC.912.E.5.5:

Explain the formation of planetary systems based on our knowledge of our Solar System and apply this knowledge to newly discovered planetary systems.

SC.912.E.6.5:

Describe the geologic development of the present day oceans and identify commonly found features.

SC.912.E.7.3:

Differentiate and describe the various interactions among Earth systems, including: atmosphere, hydrosphere, cryosphere, geosphere, and biosphere.

SC.912.E.7.7:

Identify, analyze, and relate the internal (Earth system) and external (astronomical) conditions that contribute to global climate change.

SC.912.L.15.1:

Explain how the scientific theory of evolution is supported by the fossil record, comparative anatomy, comparative embryology, biogeography, molecular biology, and observed evolutionary change.

Higher Learning Objectives:

LA.910.2.2.3:

The student will organize information to show understanding or relationships among facts, ideas, and events (e.g., representing key points within text through charting, mapping, paraphrasing, summarizing, comparing, contrasting, or outlining);

LA.910.4.2.2:

The student will record information and ideas from primary and/or secondary sources accurately and coherently, noting the validity and reliability of these sources and attributing sources of information;

Practical Science:

SC.912.N.1.1:

Define a problem based on a specific  body of knowledge, for example: biology, chemistry, physics, and earth/space science, and perform scientific method

MA.912.S.1.2:

Determine appropriate and consistent standards of measurement for the data to be collected in a survey or experiment.

MA.912.S.3.2:

Collect, organize, and analyze data sets, determine the best format for the data and present visual summaries from the following:

SC.912.N.1.3:

Recognize that the strength or usefulness of a scientific claim is evaluated through scientific argumentation, which depends on  critical and logical thinking, and the active consideration of alternative scientific explanations to explain the data presented.

SC.912.N.1.4:

Identify sources of information and assess their reliability according to the strict standards of scientific investigation.

SC.912.N.1.6:

Describe how scientific inferences are drawn from scientific observations and provide examples from the content being studied.

SC.912.N.1.7:

Recognize the role of creativity in constructing scientific questions, methods and explanations.

Mastery Classroom Tasks:

  • Level 1: Flipped Classroom: STUDY AT HOME  + Participate on Reading Check Thread
    • Self-Guided: Review / Self-Quizzing / Reading / Lecture Watching / Worksheets / Activities / Practice / etc.
    • Teacher or Peer Tutor help
  • Level 2: Quiz
    • Standard: Google Forms Quiz
    • Optional Oral Examination (Extended Hours)
    • Optional Extensive Project for Mastery Demonstration
  • Level 3: Discussion
    • Cooperative Learning: Review / Peer-Quizzing / Peer Tutoring & Clarification
    • Teacher clarification of remaing muddiest points
    • Teacher-Guided/Student-Centered Exploratory Discussion with focus on Focus on review and critical thinking/application/evaluation/synthesis)
  • Level 4: Students ahead of pace may engage at level 4-5 activities if they so choose to gain “bonus” mastery points, however this time, it will not be necessary to do so. Students may proceed to the next topic or task after completing the level 3 discussion
    • Worksheets / Activities / Practice
    • Higher Order Questioning Activity
    • Exploratory Labs: There are no prepared labs for this topic
    • Tutoring
  • Level 5:
    • Create material for Wikispaces
    • Do other creative work assossiated with topic, as listed on Assignment Guide
  • Collaborative Classroom
    • Wikispaces:
      • Create a webpage for key terms associated with the topic
      • Create a webpage with links and resources for students to learn about the topic
      • Create a webpage with video playlist links to help students  flip the topic
    • Blog
      • Create a blog about the importance of sex for biology
      • Create a blog about the importance of practicing safe sex and of proper sexual education
    • Discussion
      • Participate, read, and contribute to ongoing Google Groups topics of discussion associated with the topic
      • Start your own relevant discussion
    • Critique
      • Comment, improve, suggest, develop, or explore other student’s participations

Reading Check Instructions:

This thread is for discussion of the Human Sexual Reproduction Discussion
Have you watched the vodcasts / playlists yet? If not, do so before participating in the discussion (see links above)

Teacher Question:

  • What causes earthquakes

Tasks:
Post a comment on discussion thread briefly stating:
1) At least one thing you learned by watching the videos [THIS MUST BE UNIQUE WITHIN EACH VIDEO DISCUSSION]
2) At least one question you have after watching the video (if you understood everything, you must ask a question that goes beyond it)
3) Choose and answer a question from a previous student (IF YOU ARE THE FIRST ONE, ANSWER THE TEACHER POSED QUESTION. YOU MAY NOT ANSWER A QUESTION THAT HAS ALREADY BEEN ANSWERED. YOU ARE USUALLY SAFE IF YOU ANSWER THE STUDENT RIGHT BEFORE YOU)
4) Why you think it is important to learn about this ?
5) How can this information be used in real life?
6) Did you like the video and/or topic? Why?

Gillian Peraza

Mar 2, 2012, 10:20:20 AM3/2/12
to MLA-LIMA
1. I have learned there are many scales that can determine the
intensity, magnitude and movement of earthquakes. I also learned about
the scientist who discovered the Moho discontinuity. I learned that
there are shadow zones caused by p and s
waves.
2. I did not understand much about earthquake resonance.
3. Earth quakes are caused by locked faults which then rupture and
elastic rebound bring them to their original form once
again. 4. It is important to
learn about this because we can learn about this dangerous and deadly
natural disaster and how they affect planet
Earth. 5. We can use this in real life o
predict these earthquakes which will save the lives of many and
protect our cities and
buildings. 6. I
liked the videos and the topic beacause I think earthquakes are really
cool to learn about.
On Feb 21, 5:45 pm, "jefflima....@gmail.com" <jefflima....@gmail.com>
wrote:
> [...]
>          flip the topic
>       - Blog
>          - Create a blog about the importance of sex for biology
>          - Create a blog about the importance of practicing safe sex and of
>          proper sexual education
>       - Discussion
>          - Participate, read, and contribute to ongoing Google Groups
>          topics of discussion associated with the topic
>          - Start your own relevant discussion
>       - Critique
>          - Comment, improve, suggest, develop, or explore other student’s
>          participations
>
> * *
>
> *Reading Check Instructions: *
>
> This thread is for discussion of the Human Sexual Reproduction Discussion
> Have you watched the vodcasts / playlists yet? If not, do so before
> participating in the discussion (see links above)

Ada ^.^

Mar 2, 2012, 10:20:33 AM3/2/12
to MLA-LIMA

1) One unique thing I learned is that rocks have 4 body waves
moments. The p wave , s wave , love wave, and rayleigh waves.
2) One thing I didn't understand about this chapter was what causes
fractures.
3) Earthquake resonance is depending on the height of the building,
depends on the chance it has to fall. The taller the building the more
of a chance it has to fall.
4) It is important to learn about this because earthquakes impact out
life significantly. They are the deadliest thing on earth, but
unchangeable. Therefore, we have to become fammilar with them.
5) This topic could be used in real life because we learn about the
safety precautions of earthquakes. Due to me being use to hurricanes ,
now I know for when I move to Japan, actions i should take before ,
during , and after an Earthquake happens.
6) I did enjoy this topic because earthquakes are interesting , and
learning about them is actually important, due to that they can
influence me so hugely.
wrote:
> [...]
>          flip the topic
>       - Blog
>          - Create a blog about the importance of sex for biology
>          - Create a blog about the importance of practicing safe sex and of
>          proper sexual education
>       - Discussion
>          - Participate, read, and contribute to ongoing Google Groups
>          topics of discussion associated with the topic
>          - Start your own relevant discussion
>       - Critique
>          - Comment, improve, suggest, develop, or explore other student’s
>          participations
>
> * *
>
> *Reading Check Instructions: *
>
> This thread is for discussion of the Human Sexual Reproduction Discussion
> Have you watched the vodcasts / playlists yet? If not, do so before
> participating in the discussion (see links above)

Therese M Cordero

Mar 6, 2012, 8:46:16 PM3/6/12
to mla-...@googlegroups.com
1. I learned that earthquakes do not necessarily happen near boundaries, earthquakes also happen because of rifting, that makes new boundaries, hot spots also make earthquakes, and old fault lines. I also learned about triangulation, which some stations around the world say how far the earthquake was, they draw circles and they find out where the epicenter is.
2. I did not fully understand moment magnitude after watching the videos.
3. Fractures are caused by the stress that a rock is being applied and then a crack happens, as we learned in deformations of the crust. It can be either a joint or a fault. Joint is where there is no movement between two rocks that have been separated and fracture is where there is movement between two rocks.
4. I think it is important to learn about this because when an earthquake happens, you can be prepared and know what to do after the earthquake, and what to expect.
5. This information could be used in real life by knowing what to do when earthquake happens, and also know where to build a house that is stable. That would be in stable rock, not in sand or other unstable material.
6. I really did like this topic because not only did I learn about earthquakes, but I also learned about what really happened in Haiti. It's crazy that an earthquake in Haiti could destroy their homes, and kill thousands of people, and it was also felt in the Dominican Republic. I was over there when that earthquake happened, and I felt it.

Valerie Del Rey ;3

Mar 28, 2012, 10:05:38 AM3/28/12
to mla-...@googlegroups.com
1) I learned about foreshocks that can happen before an earthquake (not all earthquakes have them and only one earthquake has been succesfully predicted through foreshocks). I also learned that seismographs record 3 types of ground motion: vertical, east-west, and north-south.
2) I didn't really understand locked faults and how they can rebound back to place.
3) Moment magnitudes is the same thing as the Richter scale in measuring earthquake strength, but it does it based on the size of the area of the fault that moves, the average distance that the fault blocks move, and the rigidity of the rocks in the fault zone.
4) I think it's important to learn this because if you go to an area where there are my earthquake hazards, you might wanna know how to save yourself.
5) This information can be used to predict future earquakes and save more lives and not catching the earthquake by surprise.
6) This topic was actually very easy ! A tad boring, but pretty interesting at the same time.

jennifer furones

Apr 4, 2012, 4:45:12 PM4/4/12
to mla-...@googlegroups.com
1. I learned that there are 2 main types of waves. Body waves and surface waves. Body waves are when the seismic waves go through a medium. Surface waves is when the seismic waves go along the medium. I also learned that there is a wave called a Love wave and it is a surface wave that moves side to side and I think its name is pretty cool.
2. My question is why Rayleigh waves move in an elliptical shape and Love waves don't?
3. Fractures are caused mostly when the Earth moves and it has to do with deformation of the crust as well. It is when the crust fractures or breaks like a type of strain.
4. I think that it is important to learn about this so that you know why and how earthquakes can be useful.You can find out a lot of information about them and that is important. We can also learn about what it does to us.
5. This information can be used in real life because as it says in the videos we can find out stuff about the seismic waves that help us. Like telling about the thickness of the earth's layers and what the earth is made out of.
6. I did like the videos. I think it was very interesting to learn about them and I liked how the videos were much shorter this time. I also think that it was much more interesting than deformations.

michelle camacho

Apr 8, 2012, 1:23:47 PM4/8/12
to mla-...@googlegroups.com
1. That I Learned to find the epicenter Scientists use things like shadow zones, lag time, and
triangulation in order to locate  the seismic wave or origin of the earthquake.
2. I did not not understand elastic rebound very well.
3.Love waves cause the rock to move side to side and perpendicular to the direction in Which the waves are traveling. Rayleigh waves cause the ground to move in a rolling motion.
4. It is important to learn about earthquakes because now we learn what happens during an earthquakes and what causes it.
5. This information can be used in real life to protect us from the dangers of an earthquake and to predict
future earthquakes.
6. I liked this topic better than the previous topics, it was more interesting and easier. The videos help me understand the topic much better then the book.

Felipe :3

Apr 19, 2012, 6:38:34 PM4/19/12
to MLA-LIMA
1. i learned different type of body and surface waves like p waves and
s waves.
2. i really didn't understand the different type of earthquake
measurements.
3.elastic rebound is basically when two pieces of land go back to
their regular positions. This happens because when the pieces of land
are locked, all the stress undergoes and tada !
4. i think it is important to learn about earthquakes because we can
learn how to avoid them and how they are cause.
5. this information can be used in real life when there is a
earthquake you know what to do and not be lost like some other people
would be.
6. i liked the topic because in my opinion i think that this topic i
the easiest out of all of
them.

On Apr 8, 10:23 am, michelle camacho <michellecamach...@gmail.com>

Hernandez, Mariah

Apr 30, 2012, 9:48:02 AM4/30/12
to mla-...@googlegroups.com
1 I learned the different types of waves and what causes them (aka elastic rebound).

2 What I understood least was how triangulation is used to locate an earthquakes epicenter.

3 The. different types of earthquake measurements are the richter scale and the moment magnitude scale these two are used to measure magnitude. The richter scale measures the grounds movement while the moment magnitude measures the strength based on the size of the area the fault moves. We use the moment magnitude because it is more accurate. The modified mercalli scale just measures the damgage or intensity of the earthquake.

4 It is important to learn about earthquakes so we can follow procaution and stay safe.

5 This can be used if you are building a business and you can use different ways to make your building more stable for an earthquake.

6 This is my favorite chapter I love the earthquake dance and I really understood the videos.

Jocelyn Melian

May 3, 2012, 9:59:54 AM5/3/12
to MLA-LIMA
1. One thing I learned is the order of how destructive waves are from
strongest to weakest is Love waves, Rayleigh waves, S waves, and then
P waves.
2. One thing I didn't understand was why we use the Moments of
Magnitude scale instead of the Richter scale.
3. Triangulation are based on information from seismographs. You
basically measure the lag time between 3 stations of vibration from
the earthquake.
4. It's important to learn this topic because we learn how destructive
earthquakes of high magnitude can be.
5. This topic can be used in real life to stay safe from earthquakes.
Students who learn this topic will know to stay calm and to protect
yourself from flying debris.
6. This topic was very interesting. The Earthquake dance was fun to
learn and helpful too.

Jeremiah Soliman

May 3, 2012, 6:47:13 PM5/3/12
to mla-...@googlegroups.com
1. One very interesting fact that I have learned from Chapter 12 is that Tsunamis can be caused from an earthquakes epicenter which is on the ocean floor.
2. I did not thoroughly understand shadow zones.
3. Scientists prefer to use the Moments of Magnitude Scale instead of the Richter Scale because the Moments of Magnitude Scale gives more accurate information and it measures the magnitude of an earthquake.
4. It is very important to learn about earthquakes and how they work so we can know how to act during an earthquake.
5. This topic is already a real life situation in which many bloody disasters occur.
6. In my opinion this topic was the most interesting in the whole unit of geology.

Sheila Corzo

May 7, 2012, 9:56:26 AM5/7/12
to mla-...@googlegroups.com
1. I have learned how seismicgraphs and seismographs work and what they do. They analyze how the ground is moving and in which direction. Also, I learned about how aftershocks and firestorms work.
2.I don't understand what seismic gaps are.
3. Shadow zones are locations on Earth's surface where no body waves from a particular earthquake can be detected. These shadow zones exist because Earth's interior isn't perfect in shape nor position.
4. I think this topic is very important because earthquakes happen all around the world and it's especially important for people who live around zones that have a lot of earthquakes like San Fransisco. If you aren't prepared for an earthquake and haven't taken any precautions, you will get hurt or even die.
5. I liked this topic because it's very important to learn about earthquakes and how they work and also it really informed me on all that information.

Jonathan Andres

May 19, 2012, 11:45:34 AM5/19/12
to mla-...@googlegroups.com
  1. What I have learned is that earthquakes have their own atanomy like anything else. It includes a fault which is the crack in rock where an earthquake originates, a focus or hypocenter where the actual cracking or bending of rock took place, an epicenter or area in surface above hypocenter and a depth which is the distance between the focus and the epicenter.
  2. I did not fully comprehend the concepts of the Richter scale and the Moment Magnitude.
  3. To answer Sheila's question: Seismic gaps are areas along a fault which haven't had earthquakes but are near areas that already have had them. Scientists say that it's because the area hasn't cracked yet.
  4. I think it is important to comprehend the topic because earthquakes play a major role in our lives considereing the damage they have caused humanity for decades and even centuries.
  5. We can use this information in real life by trying to improve our architecture. We have done so by making cross beans to hold the structure together, sheer walls to keep it firm to the ground, foundation moats to isolate the building form the quake, and isolation bearings to act as giants spring which help prevent the building's collapse.
  6. I liked the topic involving earthquakes because it increased my understanding of how the earthquakes geosphere can change our lives.
  7.

Hazel, Garcia

May 25, 2012, 9:22:47 AM5/25/12
to mla-...@googlegroups.com
1. One thing that I learned from this topic and didn't know before is that how earthquakes can happen in the middle of the continent ( ancient fault zones). Also how to act before, during, and after a earthquake.

2. I did not understand what "foci" is..

3. The Richter scale just basically measures the ground motion from an earthquake to find the strength of the earthquake. The Mercalli scale is to measure the effects of an earthquake, or in other words the earthquake intensity.

4. I think its important to understand this topic so that you know what to do in case of an earthquake... And know what to do after..

5. (Everything Jonathan said) Also we can use it for safety percautions...

6. I liked this topic, it was short, and easy..... :)

Melany

May 28, 2012, 8:19:26 PM5/28/12
to mla-...@googlegroups.com
1.I learned about the anatomy of an earthquake and about the different types of seismic waves such as P waves and S waves.I also learned about devices that can measure earthquakes such as a seismograph and scales such as Richter scale which measures magnitude and Modified Mercalli scale which measures intensity.I also learned about the dangers of earthquakes and how to be safe if one were to occur.Also I learned about shadow zones and Andrija Mohorovicic.
2.What would happen if there were no shadow zones?
3.Foci is just a plural way of saying focus.Almost like saying nuclei instead of nucleus.Focus is the surface point above the point in which the earthquake began.
4.I think it is important to learn about this because we should know how to be safe from earthquakes and learn how to protect ourselves from these catastrophic events that could result from an earthquake.
5.We can use this in real life by predicting earthquakes which can help us predict them and save millions of lives.It can also expand our knowledge of the earth.
6.Yes,to me this topic was very fun because earthquakes are cool and exciting to learn about  since any of this could happen to me.

Victoria Gayarre

May 29, 2012, 5:05:49 PM5/29/12
to mla-...@googlegroups.com
1. I have learned that there is a new divergent boundary in africa. I learned what fault zones are, i learned that their are different types of waves that travel through different things.
2. I did not quite catch what after shock is?
3. If there was no shadow zones P waves and S waves would be able to go through everything so there might be more earthquakes.
4.I think it is important to learn about this because, then we can learn where when and a guess of how stong an earthquake might be.
5. We use this information in real life to guide us on how a earthquake might happen and what to do then.
6. Yes i think this is a very intresting topic because it helps us better understand why these major disasters are happening in the world.