(ESS) Volcanoes (Reading Check)

jeffli...@gmail.com

Mar 5, 2012, 7:41:05 PM3/5/12
to mla-...@googlegroups.com

Volcanoes

Note: Since you normally receive a lecture online, have power notes, notes, and so many other resources there should be no problem in answering a quiz with specific key terms so study hard all the topics on the lecture guide. This will be a hard quiz for someone who did not watch videos, read power notes, and studied key terms.

Home Learning / Prep:

  • Study Tools:
    • See A Good Routine to Study for Mr. Lima’s Class / Study Skills File for help on how to study
    • Study Plate Tectonics (Unit 6: Topic 1) Chapter / Power Notes
    • Access Topic Lecture Guide
    • Video Lectures Series: Volcanoes
    • Additional Materials available at Skydrive folders
    • Extra resources may be available on WikiSpaces if students create it by the time you do the topic
    • Students are encouraged to search Web for their own resources including video lectures (ThinkWell, MindBites, Brightstorm, Khan Academy, Learning4Mastery, and other YouTube Videoes, etc), tutorials, websites, etc.
    • Remember that you get bonus mastery poitns for completing Daily Tracking Worksheet
    • You may get mastery points for study tools used to prepare
  • Prepared Labs / Activities
    • There are many activities available at the skydrive folder. Choose activities of your choice. Check with teacher to see how many points each will be worth and for him to set up the lab for you

 Other Tasks:

  1. Bring Higher Order Questioning Guide worksheet to class
  2. Bring Class Work Tracking Worksheet to class

 Class:

Topic:

  • Volcanoes

Objectives:

Direct Content Objectives:

SC.912.E.6.1:

Describe and differentiate the layers of Earth and the interactions among them.

SC.912.E.6.2:

Connect surface features to surface processes that are responsible for their formation.

SC.912.E.6.3:

Analyze the scientific theory of plate tectonics and identify related major processes and features as a result of moving plates.

SC.912.E.6.4:

Analyze how specific geologic processes and features are expressed in Florida and elsewhere.

Indirect Content Objectives:

SC.912.E.5.5:

Explain the formation of planetary systems based on our knowledge of our Solar System and apply this knowledge to newly discovered planetary systems.

SC.912.E.6.5:

Describe the geologic development of the present day oceans and identify commonly found features.

SC.912.E.7.3:

Differentiate and describe the various interactions among Earth systems, including: atmosphere, hydrosphere, cryosphere, geosphere, and biosphere.

SC.912.E.7.7:

Identify, analyze, and relate the internal (Earth system) and external (astronomical) conditions that contribute to global climate change.

SC.912.L.15.1:

Explain how the scientific theory of evolution is supported by the fossil record, comparative anatomy, comparative embryology, biogeography, molecular biology, and observed evolutionary change.

Higher Learning Objectives:

LA.910.2.2.3:

The student will organize information to show understanding or relationships among facts, ideas, and events (e.g., representing key points within text through charting, mapping, paraphrasing, summarizing, comparing, contrasting, or outlining);

LA.910.4.2.2:

The student will record information and ideas from primary and/or secondary sources accurately and coherently, noting the validity and reliability of these sources and attributing sources of information;

Practical Science:

SC.912.N.1.1:

Define a problem based on a specific  body of knowledge, for example: biology, chemistry, physics, and earth/space science, and perform scientific method

MA.912.S.1.2:

Determine appropriate and consistent standards of measurement for the data to be collected in a survey or experiment.

MA.912.S.3.2:

Collect, organize, and analyze data sets, determine the best format for the data and present visual summaries from the following:

SC.912.N.1.3:

Recognize that the strength or usefulness of a scientific claim is evaluated through scientific argumentation, which depends on  critical and logical thinking, and the active consideration of alternative scientific explanations to explain the data presented.

SC.912.N.1.4:

Identify sources of information and assess their reliability according to the strict standards of scientific investigation.

SC.912.N.1.6:

Describe how scientific inferences are drawn from scientific observations and provide examples from the content being studied.

SC.912.N.1.7:

Recognize the role of creativity in constructing scientific questions, methods and explanations.

Mastery Classroom Tasks:

  • Level 1: Flipped Classroom: STUDY AT HOME  + Participate on Reading Check Thread
    • Self-Guided: Review / Self-Quizzing / Reading / Lecture Watching / Worksheets / Activities / Practice / etc.
    • Teacher or Peer Tutor help
  • Level 2: Quiz
    • Standard: Google Forms Quiz
    • Optional Oral Examination (Extended Hours)
    • Optional Extensive Project for Mastery Demonstration
  • Level 3: Discussion
    • Cooperative Learning: Review / Peer-Quizzing / Peer Tutoring & Clarification
    • Teacher clarification of remaing muddiest points
    • Teacher-Guided/Student-Centered Exploratory Discussion with focus on Focus on review and critical thinking/application/evaluation/synthesis)
  • Level 4: Students ahead of pace may engage at level 4-5 activities if they so choose to gain “bonus” mastery points, however this time, it will not be necessary to do so. Students may proceed to the next topic or task after completing the level 3 discussion
    • Worksheets / Activities / Practice
    • Higher Order Questioning Activity
    • Exploratory Labs: There are no prepared labs for this topic
    • Tutoring
  • Level 5:
    • Create material for Wikispaces
    • Do other creative work assossiated with topic, as listed on Assignment Guide
  • Collaborative Classroom
    • Wikispaces:
      • Create a webpage for key terms associated with the topic
      • Create a webpage with links and resources for students to learn about the topic
      • Create a webpage with video playlist links to help students  flip the topic
    • Blog
      • Create a blog about the importance of sex for biology
      • Create a blog about the importance of practicing safe sex and of proper sexual education
    • Discussion
      • Participate, read, and contribute to ongoing Google Groups topics of discussion associated with the topic
      • Start your own relevant discussion
    • Critique
      • Comment, improve, suggest, develop, or explore other student’s participations

Reading Check Instructions:

This thread is for discussion of the Human Sexual Reproduction Discussion
Have you watched the vodcasts / playlists yet? If not, do so before participating in the discussion (see links above)

Teacher Question:

  • How can the inner core be solid if it is the hottest part of the Earth?

Tasks:
Post a comment on discussion thread briefly stating:
1) At least one thing you learned by watching the videos [THIS MUST BE UNIQUE WITHIN EACH VIDEO DISCUSSION]
2) At least one question you have after watching the video (if you understood everything, you must ask a question that goes beyond it)
3) Choose and answer a question from a previous student (IF YOU ARE THE FIRST ONE, ANSWER THE TEACHER POSED QUESTION. YOU MAY NOT ANSWER A QUESTION THAT HAS ALREADY BEEN ANSWERED. YOU ARE USUALLY SAFE IF YOU ANSWER THE STUDENT RIGHT BEFORE YOU)
4) Why you think it is important to learn about this ?
5) How can this information be used in real life?
6) Did you like the video and/or topic? Why?

Ada ^.^

Mar 21, 2012, 9:21:58 AM3/21/12
to MLA-LIMA
1) One thing I learned from this topic is that they are different
types of volcanoes. Before I believed there was only one type , but
now I know that they are cinder cone, shield , composite , and dome
volcanoes.
2) One thing I didn't quite understand about volcanoes was the
difference between crystalization and melting.
3) The reason the center of the earth is a solid is because even
though it is extremly hot , it is under a lot of pressure, causing it
to be solid.
4) It is important to learn about volcanoes because they affect.us
greatly. Volcanoes are known to be the cause of the worlds worst
extinction. Also, volcanoes are destructive , therefore , it
is.important that we become familiar with them.
5) This information can be used in real life because now when I go to
visit Hawaii, I can identify the types of volcanoes, and know about
them allowing me to appreciate to aprreciate thief beauty more.
6) No , even though volcanoes are beautiful and breath taking the
inside of them is very boring. I found the videos hard to get
through , but I still think explosions are cool .
On Mar 5, 8:41 pm, "jefflima....@gmail.com" <jefflima....@gmail.com>
wrote:
> [...]
>          - Create a blog about the importance of sex for biology
>          - Create a blog about the importance of practicing safe sex and of
>          proper sexual education
>       - Discussion
>          - Participate, read, and contribute to ongoing Google Groups
>          topics of discussion associated with the topic
>          - Start your own relevant discussion
>       - Critique
>          - Comment, improve, suggest, develop, or explore other student’s
>          participations
>
> *Reading Check Instructions: *
>
> This thread is for discussion of the Human Sexual Reproduction Discussion
> Have you watched the vodcasts / playlists yet? If not, do so before
> participating in the discussion (see links above)
>
> * *
>
> *Teacher Question:*
>
>    - How can the inner core be solid if it is the hottest part of the Earth?

Gillian Peraza

Mar 21, 2012, 9:22:59 AM3/21/12
to MLA-LIMA

1. I learned that there are two types of magma, mafic which is more
runny and thin and is made of more magnesium than silicon. I also
learned that there is felsic magma which is more viscous and more
explosive and is thicker. I also learned about pyroclastic material
such as volcanic dust, and volcanic ash. 2. I did not understand
wether the four types of volcanoes are felsic or mafic and about
volcanic cones. 3. Crystallization is when rocks turn into a crystal
form and are not completely melted because they are made of materials
that are harder to melt. Melting is when rocks become like liquid and
turn into magma. 4. It is important to learn about this because we can
understand volcanoes which are very destructive but also helps restart
life 5. This information can be used in real life to predict future
eruptions and study the pressure and temperature inside of the Earth.
6. I like volcanoes eventhough it can be a bit tedious learning about
how they work they are still very interesting I thought videos were
ok, but really liked the intro.

wrote:
> [...]
>          - Create a blog about the importance of sex for biology
>          - Create a blog about the importance of practicing safe sex and of
>          proper sexual education
>       - Discussion
>          - Participate, read, and contribute to ongoing Google Groups
>          topics of discussion associated with the topic
>          - Start your own relevant discussion
>       - Critique
>          - Comment, improve, suggest, develop, or explore other student’s
>          participations
>
> *Reading Check Instructions: *
>
> This thread is for discussion of the Human Sexual Reproduction Discussion
> Have you watched the vodcasts / playlists yet? If not, do so before
> participating in the discussion (see links above)
>
> * *
>
> *Teacher Question:*
>
>    - How can the inner core be solid if it is the hottest part of the Earth?

Therese M Cordero

Mar 25, 2012, 8:20:14 PM3/25/12
to mla-...@googlegroups.com
1. I learned about the different magma factors. The things that would change magma would be the temperature, the amount of gas it has, and what it is made of. The more the gas it has, the more explosive the volcano will be. It also depends on if it is wet or not.
2. I did not understand what nuee ardente is
3. Shield volcanoes are made out of mafic lava, as well as cinder cones, but just colder mafic lava. Composite volcanoes have both mafic and felsic lava. Dome complexes or volcanoes are the most explosive, and they have felsic lava. There are many types of volcanic cones, but the one we are learning about is cinder cones. Cinder cones are small, and is made of pyroplastic.
4. It is important to learn about this because we learn how to predict volcanoes, and we can evacuate. which will save lots of people. It also teaches us about the history of the earth
5. This information can be used in real life to know if a mountain is a volcano or just a mountain. Also we can know when to evacuate our household to another place. And it also could be use to know the different types of pyroplastic things the volcanoes throw.
6. I did like the videos and the topic because I learned about the different kinds of volcanoes and different types of rocks.

emily morales

Mar 29, 2012, 12:41:43 PM3/29/12
to mla-...@googlegroups.com
1.i learned about the different types of igneus rocks and textures. i learned about how you study magma. i also learned about how lava flows and the different types of lava.
2.i didnt understand the bowen reaction series.
3. nuee ardente is the cloud that comes towards you during the volcanoe. it brings with it ash and volcanic ash and volcanic dust and other particles.
4.it is important to learn about this topic because it teaches us about what is under us such as magma. it teaches us what it is doing, what it is going to do, what it will do and what it is doing. it is important to learn about this topic so that we can predict volcanoes, measure them and save lives.
5.this information can be used in real life to predict volcanoes, evacuate properly and save peoples lives. it can be used to tell where there is a boundary.
6.i did like the video because now i know the difference from a volcanoe to a mountain. i also know the dissrent types of things a volcanoe is made of and what it can do or cause and the type of volcanoe it is.

michelle camacho

Apr 11, 2012, 9:18:51 PM4/11/12
to mla-...@googlegroups.com
1. I learned that volcanoes can tell us a lot about the the history of the earth's rocks from volcanoes it can tell us about the compositional layers of the earth, it can tell us what it's doing inside ignoeous rocks and it can tell us about volcanic eruptions eruptions that happened a long tme ago.
2. i didnt understand fractional crystallizations and partical melting
3. they discovered that materials of different compositons will melt at differetn temperatures and different pressures and form different kinds of lava.
4. It is important to learn about volcanoes because we learn how to predict volcanoes, we understand volcanoes and we can save many lives.
5. This information can be used in real life to know what goes on in a volcano and we can do to predict volcanoes
6. I liked this topic better than earthquakes, its more interesting and i learned what causes a volcanoe, the different types of volcanoes and the different types of rock.

Valerie Del Rey ;3

Apr 13, 2012, 9:24:10 AM4/13/12
to mla-...@googlegroups.com
1) I learned that as the continents move, volcanoes that have formed on hotspots, will move away from it. However, since the volcanic activity stopped from the volcano, the hotspot continues to be active and so it creates another one.
2) I didn't understand how islands get smaller and drift from the main island it formed from, like hawaii.
3) Fractional crystalizations is just the removal and splitting from a melt of mineral precipitates, which changes the composition of the magma. PARTIAL melting (not partical) is just when a portion of a solid is melted.
4) It is important to learn about volcanoes, so we know if it will erupt and warn people near a particular volcano. Also, cause if it erupts we can keep an eye on tsunami's.
5) We can use this information just to gain knowledge on volcanos and and predict other natural disasters caused by volcanic eruptions.
6) This topic was both interesting and boring. I liked and disliked the topic.

jennifer furones

Apr 19, 2012, 5:05:34 PM4/19/12
to mla-...@googlegroups.com
1. I learned that there are many different types of Lava. There is Aa lava, pillow lava,Palaohehlohe lava, and blocky lava. I also learned that there are different types of volcanoes and that they all have different features.
2. I didn't really understand what a Lava deposit was?
3. Island get smaller and drift from the main land like Hawaii because hot spots create new islands making it move and also Volcanoes underwater.
4. I think that it is important to learn this because we should know why Volcanoes exist and what their purpose is and maybe if you find them interesting you can get a career in volcanoes. We can find it important so we know when one is going to happen and what their made out of and if the lava moves fast or slow to prevent any injuries or damage.
5. This information can be used in real life because we use Volcanism for energy. In Iceland they use geothermic power to heat up their land also it provides heat for us. Without volcanoes the Earth's climate would be totally different. Volcanoes are also the builders of land.
6. I liked the topic. It was very boring when you talked about the types of rocks and volcanoes. I feel like if you used more real world examples it would be much more interesting. My favorite part was talking about the prediction and impact of volcanoes.

Daniel Avello

Apr 26, 2012, 8:41:21 PM4/26/12
to MLA-LIMA

1) I learned that magma can form differently based on where it forms.
different areas can affect the composition and the outcome of the
magma changes.

2) I did not understand the whole divergent volcanic fishers thing

3) lava deposit is basically a build up of lava in a specific area.

4) volcanoes are very interesting, but everyone only really knows the
obvious facts about them. this topic explains more than just
"volcanoes shoot out lava".

5) this information can be used in real life if you want to impress
people who live in hawaii, or to scare people when you talk about
super volcanoes, and there world ending power.

6) This topic was somewhat interesting. Mostly during the actual
talking of volcanoes, the topic on crystallization and compositions
was had alot of info, but is less interesting

Daniela Morales

May 9, 2012, 9:14:58 AM5/9/12
to mla-...@googlegroups.com

1) I learned that temperature and pressure affect whether magma in the earths layers becomes solid or stays as magma.

2)I did not understand what fractional crystalization and partial melting is.

3) Your question does not make sense.

4) It is important to learn about volcanoes because they help us learn about earth history, the composition of earth, and whats happening inside the earth.

5) This information can be useful if you want to live in areas with high volcanic activity. It will allow you to understand your surroundings and know what to do in case of an eruption.

   6) I find this topic very interesting and i enjoy learning about volcanos because i think they are cool.

Jeremiah Soliman

May 21, 2012, 8:28:55 PM5/21/12
to mla-...@googlegroups.com

1. One of the very unique aspects that I learned from this topic is the two opposite types of volcanic eruptions, which are the quiet and explosive eruptions.
2. I did not thoroughly understand the difference between aa lava and blocky lava
3. Fractional crystallization is the process of magmatic differentiation that accompanies the failure of early-forming crystals to react to the melt that remains. The process of fractional crystallization is responsible for the bulk of differentiation that is occurs in igneous rocks. Regarding partial melting that is the incomplete melting of a rock composed of minerals with differing melting points. When partial melting occurs, the minerals with higher melting points remain solid while the minerals whose melting points have been reached turn to magma.
4. Learning about volcanoes is important so we can know hot to properly react when a volcano occurs to save our lives and others.
5. This information can be used in real life so we can identify the types of volcanoes and its composition.
6. I honestly did not enjoy this topic and found it kind of boring. The goofy names were funny and the very cool pictures were breathtaking, but studying volcanoes, naahh!

Jocelyn Melian

May 22, 2012, 6:57:39 PM5/22/12
to MLA-LIMA
1) One thing I learned was the different magma factor. For example,
the higher the pressure, the higher the melting point is. Also, that
fluids like water can decrease the melting point.
2) I didn't fully understand the magma plume theory
3) Blocky lava looks like rock and moves super slow and aa lava is
only a little bit blocky and moves not as slow as blocky lava.
4) This topic is important because we learn to detect evidence of when
a volcano will erupt. This can save the lives of many people because
you'll know when to take action.
5) This information can be used by scientists to study the layers of
the earth from magma samples.
6) This topic wasnt that interesting. Though I did enjoy creating a
model of a volcano.

Sheila Corzo

May 25, 2012, 9:02:43 AM5/25/12
to mla-...@googlegroups.com
1. One thing I learned is about intrusive and extrusive rocks. Some of them are coarse grained, fine grained, and glassy/pumice. There are coarse grained rocks that are are intrusive that have a lot of crystallization and cool down very slowly. There is also pumic, or glassy rock which is extrusive and it cools very quickly. A good example of that rock would be obsidian, because it is dark, and cools down very very fast. There is also fine grained rock which is extrusive and cools down the attest, and an example is afanatic. Also, I learned about how volcanoes can be predicted, even though they are not always very accurate or very helpful.
2. One thing I didn't understand was what lapilli was and how it works.
3. The magma plume theory Is hot spots caused by areas of intense magma activity rising to the surface.
4. I think it's important to learn about how volcanoes work and stuff because they are very dangerous and if we are not careful, we could get hurt. People that live near an active volcano especially. Learning bout this is so important that there are actual professions that include someone (a proffesional) risking their lives to get a sample of lava to study. This also is important because it teaches us about what's inside the earth and even about the past, or how earth was created. It also is important because it creates the mineral, vitamins, and jewelry.
5. We can use this in everyday life to save ourself, because the people from Pompei couldn't but that's because they had no idea what was really going on. Also, there are professions in this field.
6. I liked the videos because they are very descriptive and useful to learn on about a topic like this. I also liked this topic because I love weird pretty rocks so I now I know a little more about them. It had some boring parts though, but that's ok. It was still cool learning about something I hadn't even looked into before.

Melany

May 28, 2012, 8:33:09 PM5/28/12
to mla-...@googlegroups.com
1.I learned that volcanoes and teach us about the history of the earth and can tell us about the composition of the internal layers of earth.I also learned about the many types of lavas and the anatomy of the different types of volcanoes.I also learned the difference between magma and lava.
2.I did not understand mafic and felsic lava.
3.Lapilli are small chunks of pyroclastic rock that are spewed out of a volcano during it's eruption or explosion.
4.I think it is important to learn about this because volcanoes are very dangerous and not only are they dangerous so are their after-effects such as ash covering the air.
5.This information can be used in real life to observe dangerous or giant volcanoes,also know as super volcanoes,to make sure they do not explode randomly and kill millions of innocent people.
6.The volcanoes were awesome to learn about and I loved all of the explosions and  lava but it wasn't as fun to learn about the actual insides of the volcanoes.

Jonathan Andres

Jun 5, 2012, 7:35:09 PM6/5/12
to mla-...@googlegroups.com
  1. I learned that the different conditions of each of the structural zones affects the magma formation it has there. The lithosphere's low temp's prevent the rock from melting, the asthenosphere's higher temp's almost reach the melting point making plastic-like rock, the mesospher's really high density levels form super dense, the outer core's realy high temp's creates liquid rock and the inner core's extreme pressure help in the formation of solid rock.
  2. I did not fully comprehend the different types of igneous rocks.
  3. To answer Melany's question: Mafic lava is fluid-like, thin and widespread with a lava flow. It crystalizes at high temp's, appears mainly on oceanic hot spots and divergent boundaries, and is mainly composed of magnesium. Felsic lava, on the other hand, is more viscous, explosive, thick and short lava. Found mainly in continental volcanoes, it crystalizes in temp's as low as 700 degrees Celcius and mainly made up of Silicon.
  4. It is important to study volcanoes because they play a major role in shaping the Earth and the fate of humanity.
  5. This information can be used in real life by helping us create energy (Geothermic Power), discover valuable jewels and minerals, find new land and help us learn to survive the secondary outcomes of volcanic eruptions.
  6. I admired the study of volcanoes because I learned about new opportunities out there thanks to these deformations of the crust.
  7.