Assigned to j...@mit.edu by ewpa...@gmail.com

Milind Gupta

Nov 1, 2017, 7:31:50 PM11/1/17
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Hi,
          I am introducing elementary school children with appinventor and the school only has chromebooks or ipads available for programming. on posting before [1] in this forum I was told to use arc-welder and use that to load AI2 Companion on the chromebook to emulate the programs. Unfortunately the school's IT department tried to install arc-welder and they contacted google who told them arc-welder is discontinued.

So is there any other way to emulate appinventor code on a chromebook?

Thanks,
Milind

Evan Patton

Nov 1, 2017, 7:49:51 PM11/1/17
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Hi Mlind,

We have been investigating publishing the Companion app to the Chrome store via ARC welder. This is the first I've heard that ARC welder has been discontinued. We will follow up once we have more info.

Regards,
Evan

SteveJG

Nov 1, 2017, 8:47:56 PM11/1/17
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
Users can develop using a Chromebook.   Here is what the Forum knows about Chromebooks  https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/mitappinventortest/chromebook%7Csort:date

Unfortunately, using the emulator with a Chromebook is problematic for AI development.

Here is an alternative solution to develop on the Chromebook (but not test live development), not perfect but it works:

*  Develop using the Designer small parts of a Project
*  Create an aia file
*  Build the Project   Build app (save apk to my computer)
*  Send the apk to a device by eMail attachment of the apk file
*  Click on the attachment when received on the device to install the app.

This is called 'programming in the blind' and it has its pitfalls but does work.   Saving an aia frequently (between builds) is highly recommended.
The method is awkward and is not very suitable for a class.

Another alternative is to get a few PC laptops and use the group development method using the emulator by sharing a computer until MIT comes up with a possible solution
for Chromebook users.  At the moment, Chromebook is not a good platform for App Inventor.

Regards,
Steve

TimAI2

Nov 2, 2017, 7:31:05 AM11/2/17
to MIT App Inventor Forum
This might help ?

Be interested to know if it works for you ?

Abraham Getzler

Nov 2, 2017, 9:38:24 AM11/2/17
to MIT App Inventor Forum