Why App Inventor 2 is asking permission to use my google account?

Assigned to halab...@google.com by taifu...@gmail.com

stone

Oct 5, 2014, 1:01:29 AM10/5/14
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
Howdy,

When trying to log in to App Inventor it asks for permission to use my google account. Why is that ? Why AI2 wants to use my google account? What it does with that ?
Only information what AI2 needs from me is my google account email address and it already has it so what else is needed and why it wants to use my account??

Enis

Oct 5, 2014, 9:56:55 AM10/5/14
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
Stone...

Because, that's the way it is.  If you don't agree with it, then use any of the other options, and there are many... You can try Basic4Android (based on VB), Eclipse, Android Studio and many others.  Some are free, some require a fee, some allow for a trial period.

Tee Koo

Oct 6, 2014, 2:12:37 AM10/6/14
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
When thinking this from IT industry/professional/security/respecting of individual persons/safety/my friends/relatives/ethic etc point of view, I dont see any reason why I should give AI2 full access to my account.
Its not said anywhere that for which purpose the access is granted and for how long time ???

My question was: "Why AI2 wants to use my google account? What it does with that ?"
And the answer is:"Because, that's the way it is"

This doesn`t sound very professional.... Is this really the way we want to walk in future? Sad... very sad...
Luckily all individual persons still have some options what they can do with their life, what they want to share and what they want to keep private.
I really hope that someday people starts thinking with their own brains... and people would respect each other.

Taifun

Oct 6, 2014, 9:40:46 AM10/6/14
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
as far as I can see, the Google login name is used to have a unique user name to be able to create a unique package name for your app
Taifun

Trying to push the limits of App Inventor! Snippets and Tutorials from Pura Vida Apps by Taifun.

Hal Abelson

Oct 6, 2014, 9:46:26 AM10/6/14
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
Try asking  this on a Google Appengine forum.   The only thing App Inventor is doing is authenticating you to AppEngine with your Google ID.   If, as a consequence, AppEngine asks for permission to use your Google account, I don't know why that is.