How do I change the name of my app URL in Google Play?

glas...@gmail.com

May 3, 2014, 8:42:31 AM5/3/14
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

I have submitted an app to Google Play and it is now live but the Google Play URL that I was given for this app sucks and is really long and has my email username and appinventor2 in the URL. I realize that I am a noob and I should have changed the package name to get rid of my email username and appinventor2 before I submitted it to Google Play but I'm sure you can't delete the app and start again, you can only unpublish, so how the heck do I change my ugly long Google Play URL to a shorter one if I can't delete my app or name another app the same name as the one I want to replace?

I heard that you can't change your Google Play URL once it has been named so I'm fearing that I might have to put up with my crappy looking URL. There must be some way around this?

Cheers.

Taifun

May 3, 2014, 9:22:12 AM5/3/14
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
the package name of an App Inventor app is always appinventor.ai_YOUR_EMAIL.YOUR_PROJECT_NAME

the only thing you can do it to unpublish your app, rename it in App Inventor and upload it as new app to Google Play
Taifun

Trying to push the limits of App Inventor! Snippets and Tutorials from Pura Vida Apps by Taifun.

Glassy

May 3, 2014, 9:44:04 AM5/3/14
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
OK, but if I unpublish and upload a new app without the username, will that same URL appear again when I republish or will a new URL appear without the username in it's place? My fear is that once an app is named and it has a particular URL, it will go back to that original URL wen it is republished. I wish I could delete and totally replace the app but it wont let me.

Taifun

May 3, 2014, 9:51:57 AM5/3/14
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
probably there is a misunderstanding, the package name of an App Inventor app is always appinventor.ai_YOUR_EMAIL.YOUR_PROJECT_NAME

what you can change only is the project name, you can't remove your email

for example from appinventor_ai.taifunbaer.MY_OLD_PROJECT_NAME to
appinventor_ai.taifunbaer.THE_GREAT_APP

hope that helps
Taifun

glas...@gmail.com

May 3, 2014, 10:00:55 AM5/3/14
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
So even if I go into the Androidmanifest.xml and change the name in there, my email name will still show?

The main thing I want to know is if I submit another app which has a different package name to replace the app that I need to unpublish, will the new package name make a new URL when I republish the same app or will I still be stuck with the long Google Play URL. Currently my Google Play URL has this in it - appinventor.ai_glassyazz  and I would like to have anew URL for the same app without that in it if possible?

Cheers.

Taifun

May 3, 2014, 10:14:49 AM5/3/14
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
So even if I go into the Androidmanifest.xml and change the name in there, my email name will still show?
in this case your app will not work anymore

for a new app you wil get a new URL
and: you probably like to read again what I already explained twice?
Taifun

Glassy

May 4, 2014, 12:29:23 AM5/4/14
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
OK, so I worked out that it's possible to unpublish an app and make another one with exactly the same name which is good but there is still the problem of not being able to change the package name.

So all of you guys that have made apps using Appinventor, all have - "appinventor2username" in your Google Play URL's and there is absolutely no way to get rid of this and have the app still work properly - even if you use other software like Eclipse and APK Tool to try and remove it?

Scott Ferguson

May 4, 2014, 9:40:35 AM5/4/14
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
Hi glas...
The answer might be in what you said in your question when you mentioned a shorter url.
If that is what you need then try one of the url shortening services like tinyurl.com or goo.gl
---

Scott

Taifun

May 4, 2014, 1:19:25 PM5/4/14
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
you can try apktool https://code.google.com/p/android-apktool/
if you find something out, let us know...
Taifun

Glassy

May 4, 2014, 7:52:43 PM5/4/14
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
Hi Scott,

The purpose of me trying to get a URL shorter in Google Play is to try and make the page more targeted to the app you are trying show in the play store, plus it doesn't look very professional when you have an app URL that has - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=appinventor2/yourusername/yourapp. It would be better to have a URL like this - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=yourapp. Shorter, more professional looking and more targeted to the app you are trying to rank in the play store.

You don't want your app showing up for "appinventor" instead of "yourapp" if you know what I mean?

Making the URL shorter with a short URL service will only make it shorter outside of Google Play.

glas...@gmail.com

May 4, 2014, 7:54:21 PM5/4/14
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
Hi Taifun,

I will be spending most of today trying to see if there is a way to do this and still have the app work properly when it is recompiled and I will certainly share here if I can figure it out.

Cheers.

Glassy

May 6, 2014, 3:36:50 AM5/6/14
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
OK, so I have been wasting the last few days trying to successfully edit the package name and I have followed about 20 different tutorials but none seem to work. I know it's possible as I have seen many apps in the play store that are for Appinventor but some have the "Appinventor" removed.

Of course it would be much better to actually have the option of choosing your package name before you even compile your app with Appinventor, but this doesn't seem possible, if it is possible, can someone please let me know how to do this to put me out of my misery of trying to change the name the hard way?

It seems so stupid to have some app making software that can do all kinds of cool things except for the ability to choose your own package name.

Taifun

May 6, 2014, 9:11:32 AM5/6/14
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
I know it's possible as I have seen many apps in the play store that are for Appinventor but some have the "Appinventor" removed.
any example link?
Taifun

luisd...@gmail.com

May 6, 2014, 10:01:04 AM5/6/14
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com

Taifun

May 6, 2014, 10:16:43 AM5/6/14
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
in this case my suggestion for you is to buy that tutorial from D'Antoni...
why not supporting someone who found that out for you?

Glassy

May 6, 2014, 7:55:47 PM5/6/14
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for that link and yes I will purchase that tutorial and let you guys know if it works. I don't mind paying for it if it means I can fix this problem.

I have tried about 20 other tutorials but I think the info was older and not applicable to today as many of the files they mention just aren't in my apps. Hopefully the info from this tutorial is still current with the latest Android version.

It would be good if Appinventor could come up with an option to select your own name to begin with though.

Cheers.

Glassy

May 7, 2014, 10:03:45 PM5/7/14
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
OK, success with changing the package name finally!!!

That tutorial that I purchased wasn't fully correct and many other things needed to be done to change the package name and get the app to work properly. The tutorial got me on the right path however.

I would gladly share here how I did it but I guess that wouldn't be fair on the guy who did the work in the first place - even though it is wrong.

I must point out that all the other advice that is given on many other forums on how to do this is also totally wrong or just not applicable to an Appinventor app so don't follow their advice as you wont be able to do it.

Thanks to the members on this thread for pointing me in the right path.

Cheers.

M. Hossein Amerkashi

Jul 1, 2014, 9:41:01 AM7/1/14
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
@Glassy,

You mentioned "I would gladly share here how I did it but I guess that wouldn't be fair on the guy who did the work in the first place - even though it is wrong"
Please do share with us what you had to do.

-Hossein.

glas...@gmail.com

Jul 9, 2014, 2:52:14 AM7/9/14
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Sorry for my slow reply on this as I haven't checked it in a while.

I started writing out how to do this but I think I will need to do many screenshots or possibly even a video tutorial as it is hard to explain with just text.

I will post back when I come up with something.

glas...@gmail.com

Jul 9, 2014, 9:14:06 AM7/9/14
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
OK, here is how I got rid of the Appinventor - Username and use your desired name for Google Play URL.

I will try just text like this but if this is too confusing, I might try screenshots.

Download APK Studio
Install Notepad++

1. Compile your APK in Appinventor

2. Use APK Studio and click on "file/open APK" and select the APK you want to decompile

3. The app files are decompiled in a new folder when APK Studio stops decompiling at - com/google/youngandroid/runtime...

4. Open that new folder which should be created on your desktop which ends in -APKStudio

5. Right click on "Android Manifest.xml" and click on "Edit with Notepad++"

6. Highlight the part of the name you want changed, it can be the package name or Android name, it doesn't matter, then go to - "Search/Find in Files" and click on "Find All" and it will find all identical names in 2 folders

7. Go back to "Search/Find in Files" Click on "Replace with" and type in your new name, then click on "Replace in files" and your new name should replace all instances of the .xml and .yml folders

8. Open up the source file and get to the java files, then open up the first java file and repeat the above process for the package name. Make sure to wait about 5 seconds for Notepad++ to change all the names in all files.

9. Scroll down in that same java file to where your previous name is still listed in green writing and repeat the same process with Notepad++ again

10. Name your folders in the source file the same as your new name. For example: If your new name is - My.Free.App then you will need to rename 3 folders in the source file to - My/Free/App

11. Repeat the same process above for the .smali files in the smali folder

12. Copy the .jar file and paste it into a new folder

13. Rename the .jar file in the new folder to .zip and extract the files in the same folder

14. Open the top folder and find the .class files and repeat the same process as the .java and .smali files and rename the first instance of your old name with Notepad++ "Find all" - "Replace all".

15. Now re-zip all the files and rename the .zip file back to .jar

16. Copy the .jar file you just re-zipped and replace the original .jar file in the other folder

17. Open up APK Studio again and click - "File/open directory", select the folder that you have been working on which ends in APKStudio and click "OK", then click "Build/Repackage"

19. Click on the "dist" file and your new APK with your desired package name should be in that file

madhu manu

Jul 10, 2014, 2:29:33 PM7/10/14
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
thanks... it will be helpful for a  lot of people if you can do a video tutorial on this :)

Taifun

Aug 3, 2014, 1:06:26 PM8/3/14
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
see also a description about how to change the default name for AI apk's here
Thank you Norman!

Jeevanjot Singh

Aug 28, 2014, 1:16:58 PM8/28/14
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Taifun

Keacey

Sep 27, 2014, 9:59:15 PM9/27/14
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
What do you input for ID and tag? I'm not able to create a new project in APK Studio.

Keacey

Sep 28, 2014, 4:40:56 PM9/28/14
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
What are the JAVA files that we are talking about here?
Also i' not able to find any JAR files.

Taifun

Oct 7, 2014, 12:09:44 PM10/7/14
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com

Brown Bear

Mar 12, 2015, 10:08:57 AM3/12/15
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
@Taifun: Your tutorial (https://puravidaapps.com/packagename.php) in changing the package name is awesome and working most of the time.
But when I try to add a "Texting" element from the Social Component in my app, I can't decompile it using APK Studio. (I've attached you a captured image also)
Do you have any solution Taifun?

Thank you so much

Taifun

Mar 12, 2015, 10:16:19 AM3/12/15
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
do you use APK Studio Version 1.0.02?
Taifun

Brown Bear

Mar 12, 2015, 10:30:40 AM3/12/15
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
@Taifun: Yes, I use the APK Studio Version 1.0.02.

Would you mind to try it by yourself? Thank you

Taifun

Mar 12, 2015, 10:51:16 AM3/12/15
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
you could try version 2.0.3b instead https://apkstudio.codeplex.com/releases/view/133065
however I don't know, if this version now can decompile Java sources
just try it yourself and let us know, what you find out
Taifun

Brown Bear

Mar 18, 2015, 7:30:14 AM3/18/15
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
Hi Taifun,

I have tried to decompile it using v 2.0.3b.
This is the result for using v 2.0.3b:
A. Application With Texting component
--> Decompile: successful, but there is no .jar file and source folder* like the result in v 1.0. Moreover, when I recompiled it, it couldn't be installed in my Android.

B. Application Without Texting component:
--> Decompile: Successful,  but there is still no .jar file and source folder* like the result in v 1.0. BUT, when I recompiled it, It could be installed in my Android. It's working.

The conculsion: I think an application with a texting component can't be decompiled YET. (Please, correct me if I'm not right here. ^^) Do you have any idea, Taifun?

Thank you

*source folder is a folder that contain java source
appdecompile.png

Taifun

Mar 18, 2015, 9:59:19 AM3/18/15
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
I think an application with a texting component can't be decompiled YET.
I think, you are correct
Taifun

Brown Bear

May 11, 2015, 4:19:29 AM5/11/15
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
Hi Taifun,

How are you?
Finally, I found the way to decompile and rename the apps which created in App Inventor with Text Message Component. Here's the way:
Step I
1. Decompile your APK using APK Studio v.2.03 https://apkstudio.codeplex.com/releases/view/133065 (Let say, files created are saved in Folder A)
2. Then Decompile your APK http://www.decompileandroid.com/. Then, take only the "src" folder
3. Copy the "src" folder into folder A.

Step II
1. Please kindly remember, there will be no .jar file in your folder. But, no worries --> Because you just need to change the folder name which located inside "src" and "smali".
For Example: Your initial package name is appinventor.ai_myID.myCoolApps and you want to change it into GoodApp.myID.myCoolApps. Here's the way:
  • Change the folder name of the appinventor both in src and smali folder into GoodApp
  • And, change the folder name of the ai_myID (it's located inside appinventor folder) both in src and smali folder into myID
2.  Then follow the next step like in here: "Search and Replace the package name using Notepad++" https://puravidaapps.com/packagename.php
3. Recompile it using APK Studio v2.03 (link given above)

Hope it helps!
Thank you so much

I have tried it and it works well.

Best regards,