AI2 vs AI2Livecomplete vs Punya Framework

Assigned to halatmi...@gmail.com by taifu...@gmail.com

Peter Mathijssen

Jun 14, 2015, 8:59:37 AM6/14/15
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
I know AI2 and AI2Livecomplete but just found out about Punya Framework in another post. How do they all relate to each other? Is Punya Framework up to date with AI2? Punya Framework has a lot of sensors and other stuff that AI2 doesn't have. Is more better? Does Punya Framework use the latest AI2 source? Why not merge AI2 and Punya Framework together? They are both from MIT.

A lot of questions i know, maybe you can help me find the answers.

Taifun

Jun 14, 2015, 10:03:17 AM6/14/15
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
these are some good questions, hopefully someone from MIT can give us some feedback?

If you use another server, you always have to think about
1. is it a reliable service?
2. will it be updated (bug fixes and new features)?
because once you create a project using another server, which uses other blocks, you will not be able to import your project back in MIT App Inventor anymore

Taifun

Trying to push the limits of App Inventor! Snippets and Tutorials from Pura Vida Apps by Taifun.

Toston Apps

Jun 14, 2015, 11:11:37 AM6/14/15
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
Peter

Those same questions I have done, so I put the post to which you refer.

Who develops Punya Framework?

The Punya project is being developed by members of the Decentralized Information Group at MIT Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory

MIT someone could answer the questions ...

Hal Abelson

Jun 14, 2015, 1:41:40 PM6/14/15
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com, Lalana Kagal
Toston,

Thanks for sending the pointers.  Punya is a research project at the same MIT Lab (CSAIL) as App Inventor, and involves many of the MIT App Inventor team.   The Punya framework is built on App Inventor but it includes several experimental components that App Inventor does not, notably the use of linked data for integrated access to web services, which is one of Punya's research topics.   Perhaps of more interest are several additional sensor components, and the ability to use Google Cloud Messaging for push notification.

We are planning to integrate some of these into App Inventor, but we are unlikely to do that before the end of the summer.

People can experiment with Punya, but keep in mind that the Punya project is focused on its own research agenda, and there is no commitment to maintaining a stable public service.

MIT Principal Research Associate Dr. Lalana Kagal (cc'd) directs the Punya project.

== Hal

LKagal

Jun 15, 2015, 10:10:59 AM6/15/15
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com, lka...@csail.mit.edu, punya...@csail.mit.edu

Taifun, Peter,

Punya (http://punya.mit.edu) is a research project based on AI2 aimed at providing mobile tools for disaster management. We're trying to keep it up to date with AI2 and we plan to release a Punya version shortly thats just one release behind. Hal, I, and others have talked about adding some of the Punya features into AI2 such as the sensors and GCM but there isn't a timeline for that as of now.

As Hal mentioned, this is a research project largely developed by students. Though we don't currently have resources for providing support, we would welcome feedback and comments. You can reach the Punya team at punya...@csail.mit.edu

Thanks,

Lalana