Error 908: The permission SEND_SMS has been denied. Please enable it

Clarence Goh

Feb 19, 2019, 10:53:29 PM2/19/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Hi everyone,
I have Error 908: The permission SEND_SMS has been denied. I tells me to enable it in the Settings app but I cannot find anything that has not been enabled already. I am using the latest version of Android on a Samsung Galaxy J5 Pro.

Evan Patton

Feb 21, 2019, 10:37:35 AM2/21/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Hi Clarence,

I assume that you are trying to use the SendMessageDirect block in the Texting component. Google recently changed their policies about what permissions an app published in the Play Store can have, and so we had to remove the texting/phone call support from the companion app published in the store. That being said, we publish a separate version in the App Inventor project editor, which you can install by going to Help > Companion Information and scanning the QR code it provides. This version has the permissions that Google forced us to remove.

Regards,
Evan