running python code editor in app inventor

madhu manu

Jul 17, 2014, 3:39:56 PM7/17/14
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
i want to make a python code editor using appinventor. is it possible to execute code in some way or the other and show the output?

Scott Ferguson

Jul 18, 2014, 5:26:49 AM7/18/14
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
Here is an example of editing javascript inside App Inventor.
I don't know about Python.
Maybe someone else does.
---
Scott Ferguson
Scott

Gareth Haylings

Jul 18, 2014, 6:11:28 AM7/18/14
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
I haven't tried this but you could possibly use a webviewer component with an online python shell like http://live.sympy.org/

Taifun

Jul 19, 2014, 2:10:20 PM7/19/14
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
meanwhile I prepared an example for you here
Taifun

madhu manu

Jul 19, 2014, 2:53:00 PM7/19/14
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
WOW!!! B)

Enis

Jul 19, 2014, 3:04:07 PM7/19/14
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
Very slick Taifun!

Taifun

Jul 19, 2014, 3:27:49 PM7/19/14
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
thank you! ;-)
Taifun

Hal Abelson

Jul 19, 2014, 3:29:54 PM7/19/14
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
Taifun, this is awesome.

(1) It should be possible to make a variant where the Python code is all in one file, as opposed to being loaded from text boxes.

(2) It would be nice to have a standard way for python to write output that can be passed back to App Inventor.

(4) It would be nice to take the basic parts of this and package them up as a template for people to load when they want to create projects with Python components.

Anyone up for trying these things?

Taifun

Jul 19, 2014, 3:45:53 PM7/19/14
thank you Hal!

ad 1. yes, this should be possible using the file component

ad 2. the result in the example app is currently sent back in the title of the webviewer to App Inventor or are you talking about something else, e.g. to use JSON as standard output?

Taifun

Taifun

Jul 20, 2014, 10:37:01 AM7/20/14
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
I now updated the example to read the Python code from text files (stored as assets inside the App Inventor project)
Taifun

phantomfoot

Jul 20, 2014, 6:22:01 PM7/20/14
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com