Error Message from AI2

Assigned to ewpa...@gmail.com by taifu...@gmail.com

Ugur Turan

Jan 26, 2017, 8:21:20 AM1/26/17
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Hey,
This is the first time I got this error message. Can someone translate it into English? There are no errors on the blocks page, everything should work just fine.  I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with my blocks, but it happens after listview.afterpicking.

Taifun

Jan 26, 2017, 10:56:42 AM1/26/17
to MIT App Inventor Forum
it looks like you found a bug in App Inventor

Please prepare an example as small as possible, which demonstrates this issue and add the project (aia file) into this thread together with exact instructions for how to elicit the error, so someone can take a look

Taifun

Trying to push the limits of App Inventor! Snippets, Tutorials and Extensions from Pura Vida Apps by Taifun.

Ugur Turan

Jan 26, 2017, 3:31:20 PM1/26/17
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
that will be really difficult, as I didn't have this error until today, and the app is almost ready to go on to the playstore. I don't think a small aia would reproduce the error. Maybe I can delete other parts of the app and only leave the erroneus blocks in the aia, but even then I am not sure if I'd get the error..

Taifun

Jan 26, 2017, 4:05:21 PM1/26/17
to MIT App Inventor Forum
what you can try: drag a new AfterPicking event into the working area, move your blocks inside and delete the old event
Taifun

Ugur Turan

Jan 27, 2017, 9:23:45 AM1/27/17
to MIT App Inventor Forum
I hate that this happens time and again. now I have missing blocks in my app. a procedure's gone missing. Luckily, I download AIA files after every change I make. yesterday when I posted this error, I had just one red error flag and it's posted above. now I have four red flags, I can find only two of them and I have some missing blocks. I wonder if its due to the mistake I posted above.

Ugur Turan

Jan 27, 2017, 10:04:36 AM1/27/17
to MIT App Inventor Forum

Found the error at last. see the screenshot. I altered the procedure. The boolean parameter had to disappear but apparently, it didn't. instead of gnu.closure.something, if the error message told me to check the viewstd block, it would be better. But as of now, this error is gone.

Taifun

Jan 27, 2017, 10:07:59 AM1/27/17
to MIT App Inventor Forum
is this a very large project?
in case the project gets corrupted, it's best to restart from your latest backup

    Avoid redundancy
    Probably it helps to read chapter 19 - 21 in Dave's book http://www.appinventor.org/book2 to get an idea how to do DRY programming with App Inventor - Don't repeat yourself

    Backup your project frequently

    Taifun

    Jan 27, 2017, 10:09:36 AM1/27/17
    to MIT App Inventor Forum
     But as of now, this error is gone.

    great!
    Taifun

    Evan Patton

    Jan 27, 2017, 11:09:51 AM1/27/17
    to MIT App Inventor Forum
    I think I understand why you received this error, but it's unclear how it was triggered. The issue is that at some point you must have had a parameter for your ViewStdDtl_FillScreen method and then removed it. However, this change was not propagated to the other blocks that call that procedure. If that had happened, it would have removed the socket on the procedure call and disconnected the "true" block. When the procedure is called, the "true" value is passed as the first argument, but the procedure now accepts 0 arguments hence the error. Had the change in argument number propagated successfully, you would not have encountered this error. I've made an issue on our Github repository to track this.

    Evan