How to place alarms in the Android notification area?

Rolf Hemmerling

May 1, 2016, 6:03:08 AM5/1/16
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Hello,

with “MIT Inventor 2”,
may I create a "Notification Area Notification" caused by an Alarm, which is placed in the notification area of an Android smartphone?
So that I may create a "silent alarm" as standard with Android apps.
And if so, howto do it?

See "Requirement #5" in the document
http://github.com/aporter/coursera-android-labs/blob/master/DailySelfie/Lab8b-DailySelfie/Lab-DailySelfie.pdf

My research:
1. With the discontinued “MIT Inventor 1”, it was obviously possible to create Notifications, which can be viewed by pulling down the status bar. See
"AlertMe: Texting in the background, when app is not running".
http://appinventor.mit.edu/explore/content/alertme.html
I didn´t find a corresponding tutorial for “MIT Inventor 2”...

2. With “MIT Inventor 2”, you may create Notifications, which are displayed immediately by modale windows,
or which are pushed to Android logfiles. I didn´t find any option to create a "silent alarm" visible just in the notification area. Am I right?!

So is this maybe a "lost feature" of version1, not available with version2, so one of the very-raw drawbacks?

Any help is appreciated.

Sincerely
Rolf

Taifun

May 1, 2016, 9:54:21 AM5/1/16
to MIT App Inventor Forum
"AlertMe: Texting in the background, when app is not running".
this is still available in App Inventor 2, see the documentation of the texting component here http://ai2.appinventor.mit.edu/reference/components/social.html#Texting

Taifun

Trying to push the limits of App Inventor! Snippets, Tutorials and Extensions from Pura Vida Apps by Taifun.