The second notification; Permission for SMS and Call Log

Assigned to ewpa...@gmail.com by steve....@gmail.com

Stefano Ferruccio

Dec 14, 2018, 5:09:52 PM12/14/18
to MIT App Inventor Forum

Still! I updated the app that now the first boot asks for permissions for GPS and calls, I miss the request for SMS and phone book (but the app requires after...in followed the first use.. But not at the opening as it would like GOOGLE)...
I tried with  "askforpermission " But it does not work!!!!

Help... or hello Hello APP! ... More than a year's work!!! (Sositacar)

I received the following message.....HELP!

Hello Google Play Developer,

In October, we announced updates to our Permissions policy that will limit which apps are allowed to request Call Log and SMS permissions. This is the second notification to let you know that this policy may impact one or more of your apps.

Only an app that has been selected as a user's default app for making calls or text messages, or whose core functionality is approved for one of the exception use cases, will be able to access Call Log or SMS permissions.

Below, we've listed a sample of apps from your catalog which may not meet the requirements for permission requests.

Action required

Please read through the Permissions policy and the Play Console Help Center article, which describes intended uses, exceptions, invalid uses, and alternative options for use of Call Log or SMS permissions, to determine which of the following options apply to your affected app(s):

  • Option 1) Your app does not require access to Call Log or SMS permissions:Remove the specified permissions from your app's manifest, or migrate to an alternative implementation by January 9, 2019. If you require additional time to remove permissions or migrate to an alternative option, submit a Permissions Declaration Form to request an extension until March 9, 2019.

  • Option 2) Your app is a default handler, or you believe your app qualifies for an exception: If you haven't already done so, submit a request using the Permissions Declaration Form by January 9, 2019. We are currently reviewing submissions and will respond to your request. Note: You do not need to make changes to your app in order to be eligible to submit a request.

Make sure that your app is otherwise compliant with all other Developer Program Policies to prevent your app from being removed.

We appreciate your continued support to make Google Play a positive experience for both developers and our users.

Affected apps

Affected apps and permissions are listed below, up to 20; if you have additional apps, please ensure that they are also compliant with the Permissions policy.

appinventor.ai_stfrr72.SosIngCar_11_11_2018   RECEIVE_SMS, SEND_SMS, PROCESS_OUTGOING_CALLS
appinventor.ai_stfrr72.SosItaCar_11_11_2018   RECEIVE_SMS, SEND_SMS, PROCESS_OUTGOING_CALLS

The Google Play Team

SteveJG

Dec 14, 2018, 8:19:16 PM12/14/18
to MIT App Inventor Forum
As you can see from this StackOverflow post  https://stackoverflow.com/questions/53707033/receive-sms-permission-issue   even professional developers using Android Studio are running into issues using SMS permissions.

An example provided
Your app manifest requests the SMS permission group (e.g. READ_SMS, SEND_SMS, WRITE_SMS, RECEIVE_SMS, RECEIVE_WAP_PUSH, RECEIVE_MMS)It must be actively registered as the default SMS or Assistant handler on the device.

The following restrictions also apply to the above permissions:

Apps lacking default SMS, Phone, or Assistant handler capability may not declare use of the above permissions in the manifest. This includes placeholder text in the manifest.  (Which might be the reason you app is no longer acceptable)

Apps must be actively registered as the default SMS, Phone, or Assistant handler before prompting users to accept any of the above permissions and must immediately stop the use of the permission when it's no longer the default handler.   Since your app is not actively registered as the default for certain permissions, they are not going to allow the app.

Apps may only use the permission (and any data derived from the permission) to provide approved critical core app functionality (e.g. critical current features of the app that are documented and promoted in the app's description). You may never sell this data. The transfer, sharing, or licensed use of this data must only be for providing critical core features or services within the app, and its use may not be extended for any other purpose (e.g. improving other apps or services, advertising, or marketing purposes). You may not use alternative methods (including other permissions, APIs, or third-party sources) to derive data attributed to the above permissions.

I don't have a solution for you Stefano.  You might be able to avoid the Texting component.  Use an intent instead  (  https://developer.android.com/guide/components/intents-common#SendMessage )  of the Texting component. You might be able to use the ActivityStarter to provide the intent.   Have you tried that?    Your app requires RECEIVE_SMS, SEND_SMS, PROCESS_OUTGOING_CALLS   and it appears Google has denied your request made when you filled out a Permissions Declaration Form.  Do I know they actually denied...no but since you got the above notification, that appears to be the case.   Perhaps MIT will have suggestions.

I suspect it may no longer be possible to do Texting using App Inventor Texting component.  The elevated security issues imposed by Google are the problem.   You may be able to market your app on a venue other than Google Play or rebuild it using a professional compiler like Android Studio.  However, the link provided at the top of this post (StackOverflow ) seems to indicate Android Studio users also have serious issues getting app acceptance if SMS is involved.

Regards,

Steve

Stefano Ferruccio

Dec 15, 2018, 3:07:09 PM12/15/18
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Yes
Google must review your sensitive permissions and probably (see Huawei case) will not be easy to get them (for anyone).
I hope they think again because if they follow the directives of the U.S. government will not grant and anyway there are always App in other stores that do not follow the rules... I think there will be a nice migration in other stores...
Hello Steve
Regards
Stefano Ferruccio - Italy

Evan Patton

Dec 17, 2018, 10:36:15 AM12/17/18
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Hi Stefano,

This is a policy change on Google's part and there's not much we at MIT App Inventor can do to work around it. By virtue of having the permission the app will be flagged for review. We are going to work on updating the system so that we can remove the dangerous permissions that are causing problems. However, if your app is relying on one of more of those features, that might mean its behavior will change. Sadly, some bad apples ruin it for everyone.

Regards,
Evan

JOSEPH SEPIELLI

Dec 19, 2018, 10:36:24 AM12/19/18
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
I was able to remove SMS and contacts permissions from my app.
Now I send via the ActivityStarter.
This will use the default SMS app to send the message.
My app is now compliant with the new Permissions policy.
Here is a small demo of what works.

CaptureActivityStarter_SMS.JPG

SteveJG

Dec 19, 2018, 11:27:21 AM12/19/18
to MIT App Inventor Forum
@ Joseph   ..... nice work around.   It works fine .  Thanks for posting this.

Regards,
Steve

ABG

Dec 19, 2018, 12:53:46 PM12/19/18
to MIT App Inventor Forum

Stefano Ferruccio

Dec 19, 2018, 1:55:01 PM12/19/18
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Joseph, thank you very much!

Stefano

Swami

Dec 4, 2019, 1:43:03 AM12/4/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Thanks for this workaround. With this I am able to invoke the messaging app and create the text message automatically from my app.. However, it looks like a manual intervention is required to send the text message. Please suggest if there are any solutions to send the text messages without any manual intervention. If manual intervention is required, that defeats the very purpose of my app.

Evan Patton

Dec 4, 2019, 3:10:28 PM12/4/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Swami,

This post is pretty old, so the information in it is no longer quite accurate. Since then, we have the SendMessageDirect block on the Texting component that sends messages without user intervention (the old behavior). You can use this block for your apps, but an app using this block will likely not be approved for the Google Play Store. The SendMessage block behaves the same as the activity starter based approach outlined above (requires user intervention to send the message). In the future, consider opening a new discussion and linking to the old one to ask for clarification.

Regards,
Evan

This conversation is locked