Important update regarding the Release Candidate for 1.2.

Bob Dijs

Sep 15, 2013, 4:56:39 AM9/15/13
to mists...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone!

Thank you for your overwhelming feedback regarding  our Release Candidate for 1.2. We are happy to report that is has been mostly positive. However, with your help we have also been able to locate a few bugs in the current version. Even tough we are currently exhibiting at the IBC, we are still actively in touch with our community, and working on fixing these bugs as good and as fast as we can.

Among these bugs is one that causes a lot of memory usage for Video on Demand. This bug is fixed in the new Release Candidate that we have uploaded this morning. Unfortunately the fix for this temporarily breaks compat1ibility with HTTP Smooth Streaming. We are aware of the inconvenience of this, but we have chosen to support every protocol in an efficient manner, and have 1 protocol temporarily unavailable.

The memory fix is but a small part of a large set of optimizations that we will be introducing in the next couple days. We estimate that by the end of next week, all optimizations will be available, and that all protocols will be supported again.

We thank you for your continued support and hope you enjoy our Release Candidate! If you encounter any new issues, do not hesitate to contact us through the mailing list, our info address, or at stand 452 in hall 14 of the IBC.

Known bugs in RC:
  - Memory usage (fixed).
  - Compatiblity for HTTP Smooth Streaming (Silverlight) broken, due to memory fix.
  - Compatiblity issue for MP4, probably due to memory fix.
  - Various protocol issues for windows (cygwin) build.