My grandiose plan for Interstates in the west

Chilly8

Mar 30, 2010, 5:57:15 AM3/30/10

I am one of these who thinks the Interstate system NEEDS to
be expanded in California, BIG TIME, and I have grandiose
idea that would, among other things, SHOVE IT down the
throats of the NIMBYS in San Francisco and Sacramento,
and shove it down the throats of some enviromentalists as
well.

First, I would upgrade ALL of California state highway
1 into interstate grade freeway and call it Interstate 1.
Then, taking the idea of one poster from a few years
ago, I would upgrade all of US 101, from Los Angeles
all the way to Olympia Wahshingto into interstate level
freeway. I would have it as I-3 all the way up to Arcata.
US-199 would be the final part of I-3 going to Grants
pass, while all of US 101 north of that junction gets
redesignated as part of I-1. I basically do this guy's
I-3 propsal even one better.

Now here is how I would REALLY shove it the
down the the throats of the NIMBYS in
San Francisco. I would create I-203,
which would start just south of the Gate, and
follow Lincon Blvd (not to be confused with
Lincoln Way), El Camino Del Mar, the Great
Highway, and Skyline Blvd south to its
current terminus with the present I-280
(which would be part of I-3 in my idea), and be
called the Ocean Beach Scenic Freeway. I would
throw an extension of I-80 westwards to my
proposed I-203/Ocean Beach Scenic Freeway
just to irritate the NIMBYS even more.

And to shove it down the throats of the
NIMBYS even more, I would create an
I-480 loop route, starting at where I-3
would branch off as the Park Presidio
freeway and follow Marina Blvd,
Cervantes Blvd, Bay St and the
Embarcadero to where present
day 280 now ends,and make that
all I-480, freeing up the I-280
designation to use elsehwere.

Once California 1 was upgraded to Interstate
1, and US-101 was upgraded to I-3, I would
stick it to the NIMBYS in Marin, and build
a freeway along Sir Francis Drake Blvs out
to the coast, and call is Interstate 101.

I would follow one poster's idea of building the
Park Presidio and northern extensions of the
Junipero Serra Freways through the Avenues
then route I-3 along the that part of I-280
to San Jose. I would, as well, make CA-85
and CA-87 x03 3 digit highways.

I see in the Google archives

http://groups.google.com/group/misc.transport.road/msg/5a0dcfef152cbf54?hl=en

One guy proposed an I-68 from Hollister to Fresno, and I
think I figured out what route that would go, going along
Panoche Rd, and then following CA-180. I say do that
one better and extend I-68 through the Sequoia-Kings Canyon
National park and through Death Valley and then onto Las
Vegas and shove into the faces of the enviromentalists that
have long opposed a more direct freeway link between
Northern California and Vegas. And while we are at it,
lets extend it westward to link up to my prposed I-1.

I would extend I-70 west into California along US 50, but
from Sacramento, I would follow I-5 and then route it
along 205 and 580 ending in Oakland. I would then
free up the 580 desingation completely for use elsehwere
by redesignating the part between I-205 and I-5 as
I-670 and the portion from El Cerrito to San Rafael
as I-103.

Once I-70 was extended to California, I would
get rid of the I-238 designation and make that
I-370 and make the Bayshore Freeway I-470
and create an I-270 which would go through
Hayward over the San Mateo Bridge and end
at the Junipero Serra Freeway.

With the 180, 280, 380, and 580 numbers freed up,
my interstate expansion would then shove it down the throats of
the nimbys in Sacramento by building a couple
of more freeways. I would build a freeway
along Grant Line Rd and Sunrise Blvd, giving
it the I-580 designation. I would also build the
Alta Arden Freeway, which would follow
Exposition Blvd, Alta Arden Expy and part
of Fair Oaks Blvd out to my proposed
Sunrise Freeway, and call that I-380 after
the present I-380 gets redesignated as I-303.
I would redesignate the freeway portion of
Ca-113 between Woodland and Davis as
I-180.

The Sunrise Fwy would go between
what would be I-7, in Elk Grove, and end at
I-80 in Roseville

For the Alta Arden Fwy, a whole
new road would have to be built
between Watt Av, where Alta Arden
Expwy currently ends, eastward to
where it would then follow the present Fair Oaks
Blvd out to my proposed Sunrise
Freeway.

In Washington, I would upgrade Washington
541 (often called the border Truck Route),
into an interstate freeway and desingate that
as I-805. I would then have the road on the
Candian side upgraded to freeway all the
way up to the Trans Canada 1 freeway,
make a convenient bypass route for people
going to points north of Vancouver on
BC-99.

In Arizona, I would upgrade AZ-189 into
an interstate and call it I-119. A lot of people
use that to cross the border to and from
Mexico, so it would only make sense to
upgrade that into an x19 interstate freeway. I
would give the AZ-101 and AZ-202 freeways
x10 interstate highways.

In Oregon, I would extend I-84 west from
Portland to link up to my prposed Interstate
1.

larry_scholnick

Mar 30, 2010, 3:17:44 PM3/30/10
I trust you plan to upgrade CA-58 from Barstow to Bakersfield and then
CA-46 from south of Delano, CA to Paso Robles (or even to the coast
near Cambria, CA) as I-40.

I also trust you plan to upgrade CA-99, at least between Grapevine, CA
and Sacramento..

What about CA-65, which Caltrans envisions as the 3rd north/south
freeway through the Central Valley?

Any eventual plans for US-395 from I-15 to Bishop, CA or to Reno, NV
or beyond? What about CA-14 from I-5 to US-395 near Inyokern, CA?

How about a new route that includes CA-166 from the coast (Guadalupe,
CA) to CA-33, then continues southeast, connects with or crosses I-5,
continues along CA-138 to Lancaster, CA and then continues east to
Victorville, CA and beyond following CA-247 and CA-62 to finally
connect with I-10 near White Water, CA. Another variant would be to
continue east into Arizona as a western I-20 or I-30

Brent Jonas

Mar 30, 2010, 3:39:27 PM3/30/10
> http://groups.google.com/group/misc.transport.road/msg/5a0dcfef152cbf...

Based on my observations in reading your proposals for California,
specifically San Francisco, I take it that you don't like to hike,
dine out with friends at nice restaurants that serve real food (not
the Olive Garden), patronize local establishments, or even prefer
taking a walk around the neighborhood, with lots of others doing the
same?

San Francisco is fine the way it is, and even better since they tore
down the western stub of the earthquake damaged Central Freeway (US
101); that part of San Francisco (Hayes Valley, I believe it's called)
is now a very lively (and safe) neighborhood, full of vibrant shops,
restaurants, cafes, some bars/lounges and people walking everywhere.
Used to be a run-down dump, with the shadow and noise of the freeway
hulking over the neighborhood.

There's much much more to the fabric of a city than just easy freeway
access. I'm pro-freeway, but I have a bit of decency when it comes to
logical places of where to place them in urban environments.

-Brent

necromancer

Mar 30, 2010, 3:54:47 PM3/30/10
On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 02:57:15 -0700, "Chilly8" <chi...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I am one of these who thinks the Interstate system NEEDS to
>be expanded in California, BIG TIME, and I have grandiose
>idea that would, among other things, SHOVE IT down the
>throats of the NIMBYS in San Francisco and Sacramento,
>and shove it down the throats of some enviromentalists as
>well.
>
>First, I would upgrade ALL of California state highway
>1 into interstate grade freeway and call it Interstate 1.
>Then, taking the idea of one poster from a few years
>ago, I would upgrade all of US 101, from Los Angeles
>all the way to Olympia Wahshingto into interstate level
>freeway. I would have it as I-3 all the way up to Arcata.
>US-199 would be the final part of I-3 going to Grants
>pass, while all of US 101 north of that junction gets
>redesignated as part of I-1. I basically do this guy's
>I-3 propsal even one better.

Ambitious proposals. Better get to work on IH3, before we East
Coasters get started on it over here (from Savannah, GA to Knoxville,
TN). Two IH3s might lead to some confusion - as if IH3 on the East
Coast won't be confusing enough...

Also I kinda had visions of IH101 running along the current route of
US17 from Savannah through Charleston, SC and on northward into NC and
maybe VA.

--
"I... Can't drive... FIFTY-FIVE!!"
--Sammy Hagar

Chilly8

Mar 30, 2010, 4:43:17 PM3/30/10

"larry_scholnick" <larry_s...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>I trust you plan to upgrade CA-58 from Barstow to Bakersfield and then
> CA-46 from south of Delano, CA to Paso Robles (or even to the coast
> near Cambria, CA) as I-40.

That I do, as well as crate some new x40 routes.

> I also trust you plan to upgrade CA-99, at least between Grapevine, CA
> and Sacramento..

Oh yes, build I-7 in three sections

CA-99 from the junction of I-5 to the junction with
what would be I-70 in Sacaemento.

I would then route it along I-70 (currently Bus 80)
to I-5, then route it north along I-5, and then
route it along CA-99 onto CA-70 to CA-149, then
back onto 99 again, joining again with I-5 at Red Bluff

It would then then follow US97 from Weed and following all of
US-97 all the way to the border with Canada. I would then
upgrade all of the Al-Can highway into freeway through
Canada into Alaska, creating a freeway link between
Alaska and the USA. BC-97 connects to the highway
that goes to Alaska. I see its time that was turned into a
freeway, and provide direct freeway links to Anchorage
and Fairbanks. And while on the subject of Canadian
freeways, lets upgrade all of BC-99 into freeway all
the way up to the junction with my prposed BC-97
freeway upgrade.

> What about CA-65, which Caltrans envisions as the 3rd north/south
> freeway through the Central Valley?

Oh yes, upgrade that to Interstate highway, and call it I-607,
between I-80 and my prposed I-7. Part of that 3rd
north.south freeway would be taken care of with my
Sunrise Freeway propsal, between Roseville and
Elk Grove.

As for the rest of the "3rd north/south freeway",
I would designate that I-305 once all of business
80 was renumbered, and the "secret" I305
desgination freed up to use I-305 elswhere.

> Any eventual plans for US-395 from I-15 to Bishop, CA or to Reno, NV
> or beyond? What about CA-14 from I-5 to US-395 near Inyokern, CA?

I like one guy's idea I saw once to get rid of most of I-395. I would make
all of 395 from the Canadian border through Washington, Oregon,
and California into I-9. I would then route I-9 down to the Mexican border
from Victorville/Adelento by following CA-18, CA-247 and CA-62 to
Palm Springs, route it along I-10 then along CA-86 and and CA-111
down to the Mexican border. I would then turn Mexico 5 into an
Autopista, at least as far down as San Felipe. Since a lot of US
tourists go to San Felipe, and the only way there is by car,
upgrading CA-86 and then CA111, south of Brawley, into
an interstate highway, as well as upgrading Mexico 5 to an
Autopista just makes sense. And while we are at it, lets
turn California 7, which is an alternate route to the Mexican
border, into an x08 interstate highway.

And on the subject of I-15, lets make some San Diego
area freways into x15 routes. I would turn CA-163 into
I-715, and turn CA-78, between Oceanside and I-15 into
I-315, and turn CA-94, between I-5 and Ranco San
Diego into I-415. I would route I-515 along CA-54 to
CA-125 and then CA-52 back to I-5

The only part of the 395 designation that would remain would
be between Victorvilleand I-15 and I would eventually take care of that
by upgradingthat to interstate standard highway and making that either than
x15 or x09 3dig interstate.

As for California 14, it could eventually become an x40,
or x09 interstate highway. One defunct website (on account
of GeoCities closing) proposed it to be I-540 once the
extension of I-40 is complete. I think would do that. I-540
would run between Interstate 5 and Interstate 9 (currently
US 395)

Another idea from another now defunct GeoCities that that
I would do is create I-11 from Carson City to Phoenix. I would
build a whole new road from Carson City to Yerrington,
and then follow US-95 to Vegas and then US 93 and US
60 to Phoenix.

> How about a new route that includes CA-166 from the coast (Guadalupe,
> CA) to CA-33, then continues southeast, connects with or crosses I-5,

I got a better idea on that. One web site, once proposed two x40 interstate
highways, if the I-40 extension is ever built as far west as Bakersfield. I
would
make that three x40s. I would create I-340, following CA-223 to I-5, then
building an entirely new road between I-5 and Greenacres, CA, then
following CA-119, CA-33 and CA-58 west to Santa Magarita. I would
expand on the idea of making part of CA-119 into I-240 by making it all
I-240 with the western terminus in Taft, at my proposed I-340.

As for a western Intestate 20, I would not create it in California, but
I would start it in Arizona, following US 60 from Quartzite through
Phoenix to Globe, Az, and then following US 70, where it would
follow Interstate 10 to the current I10/I20 terminus in western
Texas.

Chilly8

Mar 30, 2010, 4:48:30 PM3/30/10

"Chilly8" <chi...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> http://groups.google.com/group/misc.transport.road/msg/5a0dcfef152cbf54?hl=en
>
> One guy proposed an I-68 from Hollister to Fresno, and I
> think I figured out what route that would go, going along
> Panoche Rd, and then following CA-180. I say do that
> one better and extend I-68 through the Sequoia-Kings Canyon
> National park and through Death Valley and then onto Las
> Vegas and shove into the faces of the enviromentalists that
> have long opposed a more direct freeway link between
> Northern California and Vegas. And while we are at it,
> lets extend it westward to link up to my prposed I-1.

Being that there is a California state route 168, I would
upgrade the entire thing to freewway, call it I-168, take
it over the Kaiser Pss following CA-168 to Bishop, then
follow US6 eastward and terminate I-168 at my prposed
I-11 highway at the current wetern junction of US 95
and US 6

Chilly8

Mar 30, 2010, 5:08:02 PM3/30/10

"Brent Jonas" <brent...@aol.com> wrote in message

Some of those freeways are needed, especially the I-80
extension, so that people living out in the avenues and
working downtown, can get to work faster in the
morning. And my I-480 loop would provide an
easier route for people working in the financial
district, and commuting from Marin or Sonoma.
They would not have to traverse as many surface
streets getting to work in the morning. This means
they get to work faster, and don't have to get up
as early.

Chilly8

Mar 30, 2010, 5:10:49 PM3/30/10

"necromancer" <Zidane's_Last_Red_Card@worldofnecromancer_no_spam_no_way.org>
wrote in message news:ocl4r51egcch8q95g...@4ax.com...

> On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 02:57:15 -0700, "Chilly8" <chi...@hotmail.com>
> wrote:

> Ambitious proposals. Better get to work on IH3, before we East
> Coasters get started on it over here (from Savannah, GA to Knoxville,
> TN). Two IH3s might lead to some confusion - as if IH3 on the East
> Coast won't be confusing enough...

You will just have to rename the eastern I-3 to something else,
maybe call it I-18?

Larry Sheldon

Mar 30, 2010, 5:12:51 PM3/30/10
On 3/30/2010 15:43, Chilly8 wrote:

> That I do, as well as crate some new x40 routes.

Why don't you ship the whole lot to somebody that wants them bad enough
to pay for them?

--
Democracy: Three wolves and a sheep voting on the dinner menu.

Requiescas in pace o email
Ex turpi causa non oritur actio
Eppure si rinfresca

ICBM Targeting Information: http://tinyurl.com/4sqczs
http://tinyurl.com/7tp8ml

Chilly8

Mar 30, 2010, 5:18:40 PM3/30/10

"Larry Sheldon" <lfsh...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> On 3/30/2010 15:43, Chilly8 wrote:
>
>> That I do, as well as crate some new x40 routes.
>
> Why don't you ship the whole lot to somebody that wants them bad enough
> to pay for them?

That should have said "create". Sorry, but I am the worst
proofreader there ever was.

necromancer

Mar 30, 2010, 7:30:05 PM3/30/10
On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 14:10:49 -0700, "Chilly8" <chi...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

That would fit the grid a lot better, or to avoid wasting another 2di
number on a relatively short highway, since this is from Savannah to
Knoxville, connect it to IH81 and call the whole thing IH81 - wouldn't
be the first crescent shaped Interstate in the land.

Michael G. Koerner

Mar 30, 2010, 8:18:15 PM3/30/10

That would be a pretty big bridge that would have to be built if you want to
run I-H3 to the USA's east coast!

(hehehehehehehe)

--
___________________________________________ ____ _______________
Regards, | |\ ____
Michael G. Koerner May they | | | | | | rise again!
Appleton, Wisconsin USA | | | | | |
___________________________________________ | | | | | | _______________

Steve Sobol

Mar 30, 2010, 8:26:46 PM3/30/10
In article <15a9c4ba-c7c5-4ebd-88a9-
1a0989...@z11g2000yqz.googlegroups.com>, larry_s...@yahoo.com
says...

> Any eventual plans for US-395 from I-15 to Bishop, CA or to Reno, NV
> or beyond?

Why? Leave it alone. Upgrade it to four lanes between Bishop and
Adelanto because it's dangerous now, but it doesn't need any other
upgrades.

And why in $DEITY's name do you want to destroy CA01?

What about CA-14 from I-5 to US-395 near Inyokern, CA?

> How about a new route that includes CA-166 from the coast (Guadalupe,
> CA) to CA-33, then continues southeast, connects with or crosses I-5,
> continues along CA-138 to Lancaster, CA and then continues east to
> Victorville, CA and beyond following CA-247 and CA-62 to finally
> connect with I-10 near White Water, CA. Another variant would be to
> continue east into Arizona as a western I-20 or I-30

The Antelope Valley/Victor Valley part of that route has been under
consideration for years. Ain't gonna happen.

--
Steve Sobol, Victorville, California, USA
sjs...@JustThe.net

Steve Sobol

Mar 30, 2010, 8:28:17 PM3/30/10
In article <hotnph$s91$1...@speranza.aioe.org>, chi...@hotmail.com says...

> and California into I-9. I would then route I-9 down to the Mexican border
> from Victorville/Adelento by following CA-18, CA-247 and CA-62 to
> Palm Springs, route it along I-10 then along CA-86 and and CA-111
> down to the Mexican border. I would then turn Mexico 5 into an

Dude, seriously. Kiss my big fat hairy ass.

You are not running a freeway through Apple Valley.

Brent Jonas

Mar 30, 2010, 9:03:55 PM3/30/10
On Mar 30, 2:08 pm, "Chilly8" <chil...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> "Brent Jonas" <brentrjo...@aol.com> wrote in message

Like, saving 10 minutes? I've driven San Francisco extensively, and
most city streets aren't all that congested. The only thing that
could pass would be building a tunnel, and good luck finding the
resources to build it.

Seriously, there's no *real* need for anymore freeways thru San
Francisco. The citizens don't want it, and quite frankly, neither do
I. Better to spend our scarce tax dollars on upgrading critical
corridors, such as I-580 through the Livermore area, which *does*
already have the ROW to upgrade it to 12 lanes (it's currently being
widened to 10 lanes).

Brent Jonas

Mar 30, 2010, 9:11:08 PM3/30/10
On Mar 30, 2:08 pm, "Chilly8" <chil...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> "Brent Jonas" <brentrjo...@aol.com> wrote in message

Yeah, but once work ends, the residents want places to play and
socialize...ya know, restaurants, cafes, bars, lounges, coffee
houses...the places that people patronize and help to make San
Francisco the most European-like city in California, and perhaps the
U.S. Plowing huge freeways through the heart of SF's neighborhoods
would basically destroy such establishments that help to make the city
such a unique place that it is. Seriously, spend a few days walking
around San Francisco (don't cruise thru, get out of the car and *walk*
for miles around the city and then you'll understand what I'm talking
about.

Michael Angelo Ravera

Mar 30, 2010, 9:15:13 PM3/30/10
> widened to 10 lanes).- Hide quoted text -

If I want to get to Marin from the South Bay, I have either to drive
surface streets through San Francisco to the Golden Gate or navigate
I-880 or I-580 to I-80/I-580 to The San Rafael Bridge, thence south. A
freeway of any sort to the foot of the Golden Gate would cut travel
time extensively, especially to Tiburon or Sausalito. San Francisco is
a bad place through which to travel, if it isn't your destination. One
stinking Freeway to the foot of the Golden Gate would work wonders.

Brent Jonas

Mar 30, 2010, 9:16:38 PM3/30/10
On Mar 30, 1:48 pm, "Chilly8" <chil...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> "Chilly8" <chil...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> >http://groups.google.com/group/misc.transport.road/msg/5a0dcfef152cbf...

> > One guy proposed an I-68 from Hollister to Fresno, and I
> > think I figured out what route that would go, going along
> > Panoche Rd, and then following CA-180. I say do that
> > one better and extend I-68 through the Sequoia-Kings Canyon
> > National park and through Death Valley and then onto Las
> > Vegas and shove into the faces of the enviromentalists that
> > have long opposed a more direct freeway link between
> > Northern California and Vegas. And while we are at it,
> > lets extend it westward to link up to my prposed I-1.
>
> Being that there is a California state route 168, I would
> upgrade the entire thing to freewway, call it I-168, take
> it over the Kaiser Pss following CA-168 to Bishop, then
> follow US6 eastward and terminate I-168 at my prposed
> I-11 highway at the current wetern junction of US 95
> and US 6

Why?

Again, there's no need for a freeway thru there.

necromancer

Mar 30, 2010, 9:46:37 PM3/30/10
On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 19:18:15 -0500, "Michael G. Koerner"
<mgk...@dataex.com> wrote:

>necromancer wrote:

<<snip>>

>> Ambitious proposals. Better get to work on IH3, before we East
>> Coasters get started on it over here (from Savannah, GA to Knoxville,
>> TN). Two IH3s might lead to some confusion - as if IH3 on the East
>> Coast won't be confusing enough...

<<snip>>

>That would be a pretty big bridge that would have to be built if you want to
>run I-H3 to the USA's east coast!
>
>(hehehehehehehe)

A man walking along a California beach was deep in prayer. All of a
sudden, he said out loud, "Lord, grant me one wish."

The sunny California sky clouded above his head and in a booming
voice, and the Lord said, "Because you have tried to be faithful to me
in all ways, I will grant you one wish."

The man said, "Build a bridge to Hawaii so I can drive over anytime I
want."

The Lord said, "Your request is very materialistic. Think of the
enormous challenges for that kind of undertaking. The supports
required to reach the bottom of the Pacific! The concrete and steel it
would take over thousands of miles! I can do it, but it is hard for me
to justify your desire for worldly things. Take a little more time and
think of another wish, a wish you think would honour and glorify me."

The man thought about it for a long time. Finally he said, "Lord, I
wish that I could understand women. I want to know how they feel
inside, what they are thinking when they give the silent treatment,
why they cry, what they mean when they say " nothing!", and how I can
make a woman truly happy."

The Lord replied, "You want two lanes or four lanes on that bridge?"

Otto Yamamoto

Mar 30, 2010, 10:08:45 PM3/30/10
On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 18:11:08 -0700, Brent Jonas wrote:

> Yeah, but once work ends, the residents want places to play and
> socialize...ya know, restaurants, cafes, bars, lounges, coffee
> houses...the places that people patronize and help to make San Francisco
> the most European-like city in California, and perhaps the U.S. Plowing
> huge freeways through the heart of SF's neighborhoods would basically
> destroy such establishments that help to make the city such a unique
> place that it is. Seriously, spend a few days walking around San
> Francisco (don't cruise thru, get out of the car and *walk* for miles
> around the city and then you'll understand what I'm talking about.

That would be like running expressways through Manhattan. It would
totally ruin the character of the city.

--
Otto Yamamoto

My Land of Misery

Mar 30, 2010, 10:17:20 PM3/30/10
On Mar 30, 2:54 pm, necromancer
<Zidane's_Last_Red_Card@worldofnecromancer_no_spam_no_way.org> wrote:

> Also I kinda had visions of IH101 running along the current route of
> US17 from Savannah through Charleston, SC and on northward into NC and
> maybe VA.
>
> --
> "I... Can't drive...  FIFTY-FIVE!!"

>                    --Sammy Hagar- Hide quoted text -

...and on up through the Hampton roads area, across the bay, and up
the 13 and DE 1 to IH95. Then along PA283 and the PA-pike to connect
with IH99 to give IH99 a bit more sense in the grid....

Chilly8

Mar 30, 2010, 10:19:05 PM3/30/10

"Michael Angelo Ravera" <mara...@prodigy.net> wrote in message

>If I want to get to Marin from the South Bay, I have either to drive
>surface streets through San Francisco to the Golden Gate or navigate
>I-880 or I-580 to I-80/I-580 to The San Rafael Bridge, thence south. A>
>freeway of any sort to the foot of the Golden Gate would cut travel
>time extensively, especially to Tiburon or Sausalito. San Francisco is
>a bad place through which to travel, if it isn't your destination. One
>stinking Freeway to the foot of the Golden Gate would work wonders.

I agree. I say extend the Junipero Serra Freeway north
towards Doyle Drive. For anyone from the North Bay
going to San Francisco Airport to catch a flight, it would
cut travel times immensely. You already have to be at the
airport 3 hours ahead of time to catch a flight, so that is
yet antoher reason to extend the Junipero Serra Fwy
north to meet Doyle Drive.

It would also allow for US 101 to be completely upgraded
to an interstate highway. San Francisco NEEDS a
direct freeway link between the Peninsula/South Bay
and the Golden Gate.

Larry Sheldon

Mar 30, 2010, 10:37:28 PM3/30/10

I wonder if they thought about that when they tore down the one that was
going to do that.

Maybe they think that the people in Marin that want to get to the
airport ought to move to San Mateo, or re-think Hamilton Field.

Oscar Voss

Mar 30, 2010, 11:28:25 PM3/30/10
wrote in message news:28a5r5tfg6eki3nmv...@4ax.com...

>>That would be a pretty big bridge that would have to be built if you want
>>run I-H3 to the USA's east coast!
>>
>>(hehehehehehehe)
>
> A man walking along a California beach was deep in prayer. All of a
> sudden, he said out loud, "Lord, grant me one wish."
>
> The sunny California sky clouded above his head and in a booming
> voice, and the Lord said, "Because you have tried to be faithful to me
> in all ways, I will grant you one wish."
>
> The man said, "Build a bridge to Hawaii so I can drive over anytime I
> want."
>
> The Lord said, "Your request is very materialistic. Think of the
> enormous challenges for that kind of undertaking. The supports
> required to reach the bottom of the Pacific! The concrete and steel it
> would take over thousands of miles! I can do it, but it is hard for me
> to justify your desire for worldly things. Take a little more time and
> think of another wish, a wish you think would honour and glorify me."
>
> The man thought about it for a long time. Finally he said, "Lord, I
> wish that I could understand women. I want to know how they feel
> inside, what they are thinking when they give the silent treatment,
> why they cry, what they mean when they say " nothing!", and how I can
> make a woman truly happy."
>
> The Lord replied, "You want two lanes or four lanes on that bridge?"

See also http://www.hawaiihighways.com/FAQs-page5#Genie-and-the-Road (which
seems to be the original version of the joke -- I've seen others, including
one for lesbians, though I lost track of that one long ago).

Oscar Voss (in Liberal KS, for tonight)

Mark Roberts

Mar 31, 2010, 12:34:34 AM3/31/10
Brent Jonas <brent...@aol.com> had written:

| Why?
|
| Again, there's no need for a freeway thru there.

It's the ChuckieTroll(tm)! I guess all the noise generated by the
HD radio harpies has driven the troll out of ba.broadcast.

--
Mark Roberts - E-Mail address is valid but I don't use Google Groups
If you quote, please quote only relevant passages and not the whole article.

Mark Roberts

Mar 31, 2010, 12:37:36 AM3/31/10
Steve Sobol <sjs...@JustThe.net> had written:

| says...
|
| > Any eventual plans for US-395 from I-15 to Bishop, CA or to Reno, NV
| > or beyond?
|
| Why? Leave it alone. Upgrade it to four lanes between Bishop and
| Adelanto because it's dangerous now, but it doesn't need any other
| upgrades.
|
| And why in $DEITY's name do you want to destroy CA01?

Because it's the ChuckieMonster(tm) formerly of ba.broadcast. I'm
surprised you didn't recognize it.

Paul D. DeRocco

Mar 31, 2010, 12:41:57 AM3/31/10
> "Chilly8" <chi...@hotmail.com> wrote

> Being that there is a California state route 168, I would
> upgrade the entire thing to freewway, call it I-168, take
> it over the Kaiser Pss following CA-168 to Bishop, then
> follow US6 eastward and terminate I-168 at my prposed
> I-11 highway at the current wetern junction of US 95
> and US 6

Have you ever driven Kaiser Pass? That's one scary ride.

But that route is way too high, anyway. The only practical year-round
freeway route across the mountains more or less half way between CA-58 and
I-80 would be through Mammoth.

--

Ciao, Paul D. DeRocco
Paul mailto:pder...@ix.netcom.com

Mark Roberts

Mar 31, 2010, 12:43:27 AM3/31/10
Larry Sheldon <lfsh...@gmail.com> had written:

| On 3/30/2010 15:43, Chilly8 wrote:
|
| > That I do, as well as crate some new x40 routes.
|
| Why don't you ship the whole lot to somebody that wants them bad enough
| to pay for them?

Silly rabbit - trolls can't ship anything!

I'm kind of amazed watching people falling for it. But this is a
particularly talented troll that's been plying its trade for more
than 15 years (my favorite was the time when it claimed that
classical music station KDFC in San Francisco became a dance-music
station, based solely on the existence of a webcaster based in
Solano County).

I may be pretty quiet here these days - because I've lost interest
in most of the discussions and have many other things I'd rather do - but
this has been mildly diverting.

Brent Jonas

Mar 31, 2010, 12:44:22 AM3/31/10
On Mar 30, 9:37 pm, Mark Roberts <markrobt+use...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Steve Sobol <sjso...@JustThe.net> had written:

Nope, I don't recognize the SN.

Brent Jonas

Mar 31, 2010, 12:45:18 AM3/31/10

Exactly. You get what I'm saying, homie-G. :-)

Paul D. DeRocco

Mar 31, 2010, 12:51:49 AM3/31/10
> "Chilly8" <chi...@hotmail.com> wrote

> I am one of these who thinks the Interstate system NEEDS to
> be expanded in California, BIG TIME, and I have grandiose
> idea that would, among other things, SHOVE IT down the
> throats of the NIMBYS in San Francisco and Sacramento,
> and shove it down the throats of some enviromentalists as
> well.

Okay, I get that you rilly rilly like freeways. Are there any other good
reasons to do any of this? I don't know (or care) much about San Fran, but
the rural roads you fantasize about look pretty useless to me.

The idea of putting an interstate through Big Sur, or up the Oregon Coast,
is insane. Have you ever actually been there? That coast is way too
inhospitable for a freeway, without turning it into a complete ugly mess, at
a cost that would make the Big Dig look like pocket lint.

Frito Pendejo

Mar 31, 2010, 1:16:18 AM3/31/10
"necromancer"
> Also I kinda had visions of IH101 running along the current route of
> US17 from Savannah through Charleston, SC and on northward into NC and
> maybe VA.

Do you have it running across the Talmadge Bridge?

Thomas Groom

Mar 31, 2010, 1:23:41 AM3/31/10
in article hoshu6$9o3$1...@speranza.aioe.org, Chilly8 at chi...@hotmail.com
wrote on 3/30/10 2:57 AM:

> I am one of these who thinks

Chuckie, you haven't had a coherent thought in your head since 1993.

Tom Groom

Mar 31, 2010, 2:09:21 AM3/31/10
In article <hotprs$fb$1...@speranza.aioe.org>,
"Chilly8" <chi...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> That should have said "create". Sorry, but I am the worst
> proofreader there ever was.

nowhere, Chuck.

kb9rqz

Mar 31, 2010, 9:06:43 AM3/31/10
On Mar 31, 1:09�am, Tom Groom <use...@thegreenfalcon.com> wrote:
> In article <hotprs$f...@speranza.aioe.org>,

> �"Chilly8" <chil...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > That should have said "create". Sorry, but I am the worst
> > proofreader there ever was.

> nowhere, Chuck.

Are you the Tom Groom who sucked me off at the freeway rest area last
October?

!

Mar 31, 2010, 10:09:18 AM3/31/10
Here's what I would do.

I would renumber the entirety of US 2 west of its junction at ID 200
at Sandpoint, ID as ID/WA 200.

Upgrade WA 18 from Federal Way to Snowqualmie to interstate grade,
number it as I-605.
Upgrade WA 16 to interstate grade from Tacoma to WA 3, then upgrade WA
3 to interstate grade to Port Gamble. From there, extend on a new
alignment and bridges across Puget Sound, clipping the southern tip of
Whitbey Island to provide access to it near Mukilteo, then meet up to
and upgrade WA 526 to interstate grade. Number this entire routing as
I-805.

Decommission US 12 west of Elma, reroute US 101 from Aberdeen directly
to Olympia following the former segment of US 12 and WA 8. Renumber
existing US 101 north of this alignment as US 101 LOOP.

Extend US 730 along US 12 north to Pasco, WA, then along US 395 to
Mesa, then decommission WA 17 and extend US 730 to US 97 at Brewster.

Upgrade US 20 from Ontario, OR west to Santiam Pass, then OR 22 to
Salem to interstate grade freeway, number as I-82. Renumber existing
I-82 and I-182 as I-88 and I-188. In addition, upgrade US 97 from to
Redmond to Klamath Falls, then OR 140 to Medford, to interstate grade
freeway, number this, as well as the section of the new I-82 west of
Redmond, as I-5 SCENIC.

Renumber CA 99 as US 99.

Upgrade CA 58 to interstate grade from Buttonwillow to Barstow; number
as I-50. Extend I-50 on new alignment northeast through Fort Irwin
Training Center, then parallel I-15 between Baker and Mountain Pass
with no interchanges between the two. Continue I-50 on an upgraded NV
164 through Searchlight and over a new crossing of the Colorado.
Continue east to Kingman, then northeast to and through Grand Canyon
National Park, utilizing new alignment along cantilevered bridges
clinging to the canyon walls. Also, renumber AZ 66 as I-50 SCENIC
SPUR. I-50 will climb along a 5% grade out of the canyon onto the
plateau southwest of Page, and continue northeast on the plateau on
the north side of the Colorado River to Moab, then north through
Arches National Park, including alignment underneath Landcape Arch.
Multiplex with I-70 from Cisco to Glenwood Springs, CO. In Glenwood
Springs, continue southeast along CO 82 through Aspen and over
Independence Pass and Mount Elbert using extensive rock cuts, to
Leadville. Continue south along new alignment paralleling US 24 and
then US 285 to Poncha Springs, then east on an upgraded US 50. Upgrade
CO 291 to interstate grade, number as I-250. I-50 continues east,
breaking from the US 50 alignment and running along new alignment,
utilizing the Royal Gorge Suspension bridge, upgraded to 6 lanes with
shoulders and pedestrian area, and continue east on new alignment
south of CO 120, renaming Lincoln Park as Linkin Park and tunneling
underneath ADX Florence. Upgrade entire US 50 corridor to interstate
standards to Hutchinson, KS. Use routings through town centers
whenever possible. Route I-50 from there southeast along KS 96, to
Wichita, then multiplex south along I-35 to Braman, OK, then along new
alignment southeast to US 412 at Westport. Upgrade US 412 to
interstate standards east through Tulsa to Mountain Home, AR, then
southeast along new alignment, through Batesville to Newport, then
northeast to Jonesboro. Renumber US 67 freeway between Newport and
Little Rock as I-30 EXTENSION. Renumber I-440 and AR 440 as I-30,
renumber existing segment of I-30 through downtown and segment of US
67 freeway not renumbered as I-830. Continue I-50 southeast along a US
63 alignment to I-55, then multiplex to West Memphis. In West Memphis,
renumber I-40 as I-50 east to I-240 exit 12B. Reroute I-40 over a new
Mississippi River Bridge, and new alignment along Beale Street and
through Overton Park to Sam Cooper Boulevard.

Multiplex I-8 east along I-10, then renumber I-19 as I-8.

Renumber AK 2 south of Fairbanks as US 97.

Upgrade freeway sections of AK 1 to full interstate standards, connect
them along new alignment east of Anchorage, and extend north to
Palmer, then upgrade AK 3 to full interstate standards, using new
alignment in Denali National Park, if necessary. Number as Interstate
A-1.

Extend AK 2 from Manley Hot Springs on new alignment to Kotzebue, then
north along the Arctic Coast to Barrow. Create, on new alignment, AK
12 from AK 2 near Manley Hot Springs to Nome, then continue west,
crossing the Bering Strait via the Diomede islands, to Провиде́ния.

Renumber US 163, UT 163, UT 162, and CO 41 as US 160 LOOP.

kb9rqz

Mar 31, 2010, 10:55:44 AM3/31/10
On Mar 31, 9:06 am, kb9rqz <kb9...@rocketmail.com> wrote:
> On

Michael Angelo Ravera

Mar 31, 2010, 12:37:10 PM3/31/10
On Mar 30, 7:19 pm, "Chilly8" <chil...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> "Michael Angelo Ravera" <marav...@prodigy.net> wrote in messagenews:2ad905a9-61ba-4601...@r1g2000yqj.googlegroups.com...

... Yeah, just give me an in town link between I-280 and US-101 or
I-80 and connect up the central Skyway to an extension of 19th Ave and
Doyle without stoplights and with limited access. You could almost do
it in the current footprint. We might lose a 20 meter strip of lawn
through the park and have to subduct a few cross streets, but San
Francisco is BANANAs. Better yet, build it as close to the ocean or
as possible on a causeway so as to avoid crossing traffic.

necromancer

Mar 31, 2010, 1:40:54 PM3/31/10

I don't thik so. Looking at a map, US17 and IH95 multiplex for about
11 miles near Yemassee, SC. IMO, IH101 should start there at Yemassee
where US17 and IH95 part ways at IH95's MM33.

Chilly8

Mar 31, 2010, 3:01:38 PM3/31/10

"!" <illustriou...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>Upgrade WA 16 to interstate grade from Tacoma to WA 3, then upgrade WA
>3 to interstate grade to Port Gamble. From there, extend on a new
>alignment and bridges across Puget Sound, clipping the southern tip of
>Whitbey Island to provide access to it near Mukilteo, then meet up to
>and upgrade WA 526 to interstate grade. Number this entire routing as
>I-805.

Good idea, but I would rename that either I-305 or I-505, as I
would want to use I-805 as the number for my proposed
upgrade of WA-541, the "Border Truck Route" into interstate
grade freeway.

Steve Sobol

Mar 31, 2010, 3:05:59 PM3/31/10
In article <5ca58fe4-ed30-4437-b95e-81db5b2516e1
@k19g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>, illustriou...@gmail.com says...

> Renumber CA 99 as US 99.

CA-99 was originally US-99.

--
Steve Sobol, Victorville, California, USA
sjs...@JustThe.net

Otto Yamamoto

Mar 31, 2010, 10:28:54 PM3/31/10
On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 07:09:18 -0700, ! wrote:

> renaming Lincoln Park as Linkin Park

HAW! HAW! HAW!

--
Otto Yamamoto

Chilly8

Mar 31, 2010, 10:31:18 PM3/31/10

"Chilly8" <chi...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> With the 180, 280, 380, and 580 numbers freed up,
> my interstate expansion would then shove it down the throats of
> the nimbys in Sacramento by building a couple
> of more freeways. I would build a freeway
> along Grant Line Rd and Sunrise Blvd, giving
> it the I-580 designation. I would also build the
> Alta Arden Freeway, which would follow
> Exposition Blvd, Alta Arden Expy and part
> of Fair Oaks Blvd out to my proposed
> Sunrise Freeway, and call that I-380 after
> the present I-380 gets redesignated as I-303.
> I would redesignate the freeway portion of
> Ca-113 between Woodland and Davis as
> I-180.

I have even more ideas for x07 freeways, once
the section of I-7 between Sacramento and Red
Bluff was competed. I would turn Watt Avenue
into a freeway and call that I-307, the Elk
Grove Freeway, It would follow the current
Power Inn Rd and Howe Avenue up to
what is now Bus 80, but what would be
my proposed I-207. I would turn Watt
Ave and South Watt Ave into I-407,
calling that the North Highlands Freeway,
which would follow Watt and
South Watt. While Watt and S Watt
could be upgraded to freeway, an
entire new road would have to be built
north of Baseline Rd, which would go
northwest towards my proposed
I-7 in Sutter County.

I-207 would be the portion of the
Capital City Freeway between
US-50 and its eastern junction
with I-80.

Also, on the now-defunct "Ideal
Western Interstates Page", the author
of that web page once proposed
make all of California 4, from Stockton
westward to I-80. The idea would take
the freeway portion of Ca-4, in Stockton and
extend it westward and linking
up with the portion of CA-4 in
the east bay that is freeway now,
and calling that I-507, once CA-99
became I-7. I like that idea and that
that freeway should be built, as another
option for people who commute from there
to jobs in the Bay Area.

With the 180 and 280 designations
freed up by my other proposals,
I suggest upgrading CA-237 to
full interstate status and creating
an extension northeastward
to connect to my proposed
I-70 (currently I-580) near
Altamont Pass, and call that
I-170

And once one section of I-580
in the Bay Area became part of
I-70, I would upgrade CA-84
between Menlo Park and
Livermore into interstate
freeway and call it Interstate
170.

Many proposals, including mine,
route I-70 over CA-88 down to
Stockton, then follow my prposed
I-7, to the small portion of CA120
that is freeway, then down 5 and onto
the current 205/580 and up 580 ending
in Oakland. One question is what to do
with the remaining US 50 designation
between Carson City and Sacramento.
I would upgrade the whole thing an interstate
freeway and make that I-870. And I am
making some changes to my original
Sacramento freeway proposal. Instead
of using x80 numbers for my Alta Arden
and Sunrise Freeway proposals, I now
proposing using the two remaining x70
designations. Call the Sunrise Freeway
I-970 and the Alta Arden Freeway I-770.
This leaves the 180, 280, 380, and 580
designations, in my freeway proposal, available
for other x80 highways, and I would put them
to good use. One poster once prposed I503,
the Luther Burbank Freeway, between Sebastopol
and Kenwood. I would use an x80 designation
for that extend the freeway all the way down
to the current CA-37, which would also get
an x80 designation. I would upgrade all of
CA37 into an interstate freeway and call
that I-180. The new I-380 designation
would start in Sebastopol and go to
Kenwood, but then go around the main
part of Sonoma then follow Arnold Dr,
CA 116 and CA 121 down to my prposed
180 highway. The new 580 designation would
follow Hwy 121 and Hwy 12 from the
Big Bend area, where there would be a
junction with my proposed 380 freeway
and follow 121 and 12, then Jameson
Canyon Rd out to I-80. That would
also free up the 503 and 903 designations
for other freeway proposals of mine. One
of those would be to make CA-299, between
the Eureka area, and Redding, into I-503.
I would then route I-503 along CA-44, going
through Lasson Volcanic National part, and
end the road at my prposed I-9, in Susanville.

And to *REALLY* SHOVE it down the throats of the NIMBYS
in Marin even MORE, I would turn Tiburon Blvd
into either an I-903 or a new I-280 designation
and build the once proposed "Shark Bridge" into
San Francisco and link up with my proposed
I-480 Golden Gate Loop. For commuters from
Marin who drive into work in Downtown San
Francisco, it would provide a much more direct
route into that part of SF then even my other
proposed SF freeways. Becuase a lot of
people commute into SF from Marin, this
freeway and bridge into that part of SF
is really needed.

I would also upgrade Ca-17 south
of San Jose, to Santa Cruz to
interstate status and extend I-880
all the way to Santa Cruz.

Chilly8

Mar 31, 2010, 10:37:09 PM3/31/10

> With the 180 and 280 designations
> freed up by my other proposals,
> I suggest upgrading CA-237 to
> full interstate status and creating
> an extension northeastward
> to connect to my proposed
> I-70 (currently I-580) near
> Altamont Pass, and call that
> I-170

That should have said I-570
not I-170

Kurumi

Apr 1, 2010, 12:13:53 AM4/1/10
On Mar 30, 2:57 am, "Chilly8" <chil...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> ... SHOVE IT down the > throats of the NIMBYS ...
> and shove it down the throats of some enviromentalists as
> well.
>
> ... REALLY shove it the
> down the the throats of the NIMBYS in
> San Francisco ...
> just to irritate the NIMBYS even more.
>
> And to shove it down the throats of the NIMBYS even more ...
>
> ... shove into the faces of the enviromentalists ...

> ... shove it down the throats of
> the nimbys in Sacramento

(to the rhythm of Skee-Lo's "I wish")

And I roll like mayor quimby
Lightin up a slimmy
Shove it down the throats
of those suckas and NIMBYs
Gonna have to find another patch of green grass
to throw them frisbees

I'm steppin up, not gonna lie low
City is my ho
Clearin tenement blocks like a pyro
Got a map that I slap in ya lap
like Tom from Ohio

The haters say I root for the Dodgers
and I like Carl Rogers
Even tell my lady that the baby is not hers
But I'm gonna pave it like I play it
For the 87 over the water

Embarcadero gonna be a freeway
Interstate 3-A
Go and write it down
cause that's what we say
If you got a stroller or a bike or a trike
better sell it on eBay

Brent Jonas

Apr 1, 2010, 4:51:50 AM4/1/10

What a random take on Skee-Lo, lol. I used to like that song, when I
was in junior high, and so did the rest of the kids, back in the day.

argatlam

Apr 1, 2010, 4:21:46 PM4/1/10
[Mr. Roberts:]

> It's the ChuckieTroll(tm)! I guess all the noise generated by the
> HD radio harpies has driven the troll out of ba.broadcast.

Thanks for this--I was about to post to thank him for taking time off
from running his 500-kW radio station to share with us his ideas for
doubling or tripling freeway centerline mileage.

Steve Sobol

Apr 1, 2010, 4:38:02 PM4/1/10
In article <f0cef40a-8313-4b45-98a0-b8f6d0569e06
@z4g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>, brent...@aol.com says...

> What a random take on Skee-Lo, lol. I used to like that song, when I
> was in junior high, and so did the rest of the kids, back in the day.

I still like it. I let the Sirius subscription in my new car expire, but
when I was on the trial, "90's on 9" played that song a lot :)

Frito Pendejo

Apr 1, 2010, 7:01:22 PM4/1/10

"necromancer" <Zidane's_Last_Red_Card@worldofnecromancer_no_spam_no_way.org>
wrote in message news:v527r5hnphvqbtp18...@4ax.com...

I would truncate I-16 to I-95 and begin "I-101" at the I-95/I-16
interchange. 101 would follow current 16 to the US 17 north interchange,
where it would follow US 17 north into South Carolina. Current I-16 east of
US 17 could either be I-301 or a CONN or SPUR GA xxx (whatever state number
they give to I-101) since it's really nothing but a few ramps. The Talmadge
Bridge is a grand structure that really doesn't go anywhere. There's not a
lot on the north side. It is part of the route from Savannah to Hilton Head
but it deserves to be so much more.

Frito Pendejo

Apr 1, 2010, 7:31:45 PM4/1/10
"!" <illustriou...@gmail.com> wrote in message Renumber I-440 and AR
440 as I-30,
> renumber existing segment of I-30 through downtown and segment of US
> 67 freeway not renumbered as I-830.

Why?

Otto Yamamoto

Apr 1, 2010, 8:12:22 PM4/1/10
On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 13:38:02 -0700, Steve Sobol wrote:

> In article <f0cef40a-8313-4b45-98a0-b8f6d0569e06
> @z4g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>, brent...@aol.com says...
>

>> What a random take on Skee-Lo, lol. I used to like that song, when I
>> was in junior high, and so did the rest of the kids, back in the day.
>
> I still like it. I let the Sirius subscription in my new car expire, but
> when I was on the trial, "90's on 9" played that song a lot :)

I thought it was rather clever, meself, even though I don't really have
any context, since I haven't listened to anything mainstream since about
1982(elitist pig that I am).

--
Otto Yamamoto

necromancer

Apr 1, 2010, 9:36:19 PM4/1/10
On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 18:01:22 -0500, "Frito Pendejo"
<bugon...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"necromancer" <Zidane's_Last_Red_Card@worldofnecromancer_no_spam_no_way.org>
>wrote in message news:v527r5hnphvqbtp18...@4ax.com...
>> On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 00:16:18 -0500, "Frito Pendejo"
>> <bugon...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>"necromancer"
>>>
>>>Do you have it running across the Talmadge Bridge?
>>
>> I don't thik so. Looking at a map, US17 and IH95 multiplex for about
>> 11 miles near Yemassee, SC. IMO, IH101 should start there at Yemassee
>> where US17 and IH95 part ways at IH95's MM33.
>
>I would truncate I-16 to I-95 and begin "I-101" at the I-95/I-16
>interchange. 101 would follow current 16 to the US 17 north interchange,
>where it would follow US 17 north into South Carolina. Current I-16 east of
>US 17 could either be I-301 or a CONN or SPUR GA xxx (whatever state number
>they give to I-101) since it's really nothing but a few ramps. The Talmadge
>Bridge is a grand structure that really doesn't go anywhere. There's not a
>lot on the north side. It is part of the route from Savannah to Hilton Head
>but it deserves to be so much more.

Interesting proposal, but the only problem is that after the Talmadge,
US17 heads westward towards IH95 at Hardeeville and runs parallel with
IH95 to MM22 where US17 joins the IH95 mainline.

Maybe from the Talmadge, IH101 could follow SC170 towards Beaufort
(providing better Interstate access to Beaufort and Paris Island) and
then US21 Northwards towads Gardens Corner and follow SC303 towards
Walterboro and then follow US17's route to Charleston and beyond.

Interesting question, would a spur of IH101 be IH301 (might be
confused with a spur of IH1) or IH3101?

Last, IH16 has the hidden designation of GA404 (insert file not found
joke here) and according to maps, that designation follows over the
Talmadge. Not sure of the map's accuracy, though.

necromancer

Apr 1, 2010, 9:37:45 PM4/1/10
On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 19:17:20 -0700 (PDT), My Land of Misery
<gr...@netzero.net> wrote:

>On Mar 30, 2:54 pm, necromancer

><Zidane's_Last_Red_Card@worldofnecromancer_no_spam_no_way.org> wrote:
>

>> Also I kinda had visions of IH101 running along the current route of
>> US17 from Savannah through Charleston, SC and on northward into NC and
>> maybe VA.
>>

>> --
>> "I... Can't drive...  FIFTY-FIVE!!"

>>                    --Sammy Hagar- Hide quoted text -

>...and on up through the Hampton roads area, across the bay, and up
>the 13 and DE 1 to IH95. Then along PA283 and the PA-pike to connect
>with IH99 to give IH99 a bit more sense in the grid....

Would make a nice bypass of DC and B-more, wouldn't it?

Rich Piehl

Apr 1, 2010, 10:20:56 PM4/1/10
On 4/1/2010 8:37 PM, necromancer wrote:
>ld make a nice bypass of DC and B-more, wouldn't it?
>
> --
> "I... Can't drive... FIFTY-FIVE!!"
> --Sammy Hagar

Got it on my Ipod

Rod on the Road

Apr 4, 2010, 12:06:27 AM4/4/10
Hey silly Chilly, why don't you just pave over the entire west coast
with parking lots, shopping malls, housing developments & freeways
(like LA). Forget the fact that practically no-one in most of the
coastal areas wants the damn things. Granted, many improvements can &
should be made, however most people who live in these areas want
limited development (smart growth). That train of thought extends all
the way to Seattle.

BTW, if you think the majority of Californians would ever allow I-70
to be extended through virgin wilderness in the mostly impassable
snowy Sierras (let along Yosemite NP), you are nuts.

Rod Thornton
SF Bay Area

CO

Apr 20, 2010, 2:09:55 AM4/20/10

> In Arizona, I would upgrade AZ-189 into
> an interstate and call it I-119. A lot of people
> use that to cross the border to and from
> Mexico, so it would only make sense to
> upgrade that into an x19 interstate freeway. I
> would give the AZ-101 and AZ-202 freeways
> x10 interstate highways.

If highways need to be renumbered in AZ, I would suggest taking AZ 210
out of Tucson and using it for a Phoenix area freeway. I doubt
Aviation Pkwy will ever be a full freeway. Who knows if it will ever
connect to I-10 on its west end (via St Mary's Rd)? Some freeway
numbers like 143 seem so random anyway.

Chilly8

Apr 23, 2010, 6:56:00 AM4/23/10

"Rod on the Road" <sfba...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> BTW, if you think the majority of Californians would ever allow I-70
> to be extended through virgin wilderness in the mostly impassable
> snowy Sierras (let along Yosemite NP), you are nuts.

I would not route it through Yosemite. I would use one of three
prposed routes. Either routes it along all of CA-88 to Stockton,
or, take it along part of 88, and then up 89, and on to Echo
Summit, or route it along Sly Park Road and the Mormon
Emigrant Trail to Pollock Pines, and then on to
Sacramento.

But once the rest of ther US 50 desgination dissapeared,
there would still be the question of what to do with the
designation between Carson city and Pollock Pines.
My solution would be to upgrade that to freeway, and
call it I-870. I-870 would also provide easy freeway
access to South Lake Tahoe. And if Tahoe has
any hopes of getting another Winter Olympics,
likely in 2022, they will NEED to construct a freeway
through that area to accomodate all the traffic that
an Olympics would bring. Making all of CA-88
into an interstate freeway would also make it
possible to use the Kirkwood Meadows resort
for some events at a future Olympics, as there
would be easy freeway access to Kirwood.

Thomas Groom

May 5, 2010, 2:11:11 AM5/5/10
in article hqruct$vmp$1...@speranza.aioe.org, Chilly8 at Chi...@hotmail.com
wrote on 4/23/10 3:56 AM:

> I would not route it through Yosemite. I would use one of three
> prposed routes. Either routes it along all of CA-88 to Stockton,

You've topped yourself, Chuck. That is such an impossibly dumb idea I cannot
even think where you got it.

> Making all of CA-88
> into an interstate freeway

Is another part of your demented fantasy, Chuck.