US highway terminus

harry sachz

Sep 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/10/97

does anyone know of any us highways that terminus in unconventional
ways? (e.g. state borders, etc.)

JVincent

Sep 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/10/97

harry sachz wrote:

> does anyone know of any us highways that terminus in unconventional
> ways? (e.g. state borders, etc.)

Don't U.S. 2, 9 and 11 all end at the same intersection in Rouses Point,
New York? IIRC, 9 and 11 are co-signed between Champlain and Rouses
Point, which isn't really necessary, but creates the cool 2/9/11
junction.

Where else do multiple U.S. highways end at the same point? Not just the
same city, but the same intersection?

U.S. 67 (an Arkansas road for ya!) has its northern terminus at U.S. 52,
pretty much in the middle of nowhere in eastern Iowa. This is only
interesting because U.S. highways tend to have termini in built-up
areas; 67's northern end is an unceremonious stop sign a couple of miles
from the Mississippi River.

Then there's U.S. 6, which is actually infinitely long. You see, when it
gets to Provincetown, Massachusetts, 6 hits a rotary. Last time I was
there, no "End 6" sign was present before the rotary, so it's perfectly
reasonable to assume 6 just keeps going around and around in a circle
forever, kinda like the inner groove on the "Sgt. Pepper" album.

Come to think of it, one can also make the infinite-length claim about
any number of urban beltways.

--
[JVincent] Z.I.F. - wiva...@zpf.arg - Puvpntb, Vyyvabvf
"Ab znggre jung lbhe cynaf ner,

jackie turner

Sep 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/11/97
to jvin...@mcs.net

US 2, 9, and 11 just end? weird. US 271 begins in ft. smith, ark. at
business 71 and ends in tyler texas at texas 31, both times falling just
a short distance from reaching a us highway (71 business used to be us
71). us 371 joins us 59 and 71 at lockesburg, ar (and us 70 a few miles
north) and continues northwest to de queen, ar, and just quits. there
is a sign that says "end 371" which is rare in arkansas. (i only know
of 2 more 'end' signs in ark. us 169 is paired with us 64 in tulsa,
oklahoma, and just quits at the junction with creek turnpike.

CARSoft

Sep 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/11/97

>Don't U.S. 2, 9 and 11 all end at the same intersection in Rouses Point,
>> New York?

U.S. 2 does not 'end' at the intersection (just after crossing Lake
Champlain from Vermont) in Rouses Point. It just disappears (no signs, no
nothing) and reappears in Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan then continues to the
west coast.

Karl Chevalier
cars...@aol.com (remove "X" to reply)

wx_h...@hotmail.com

Sep 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/11/97

> Where else do multiple U.S. highways end at the same point? Not just the
> same city, but the same intersection?

After looking at the atlas a little, I found the following possibilities:

US 264, US 64, and US 158 at Whalebone, North Carolina? (midway between
Manteo and Nags Head)

US 69, US 96, and US 287 in Port Arthur, Texas?

> U.S. 67 (an Arkansas road for ya!) has its northern terminus at U.S. 52,
> pretty much in the middle of nowhere in eastern Iowa. This is only
> interesting because U.S. highways tend to have termini in built-up
> areas; 67's northern end is an unceremonious stop sign a couple of miles
> from the Mississippi River.

How about:

US 165 at US 90 on the Jefferson Davis/Calcasieu county line in southwest
Louisiana

US 331 at US 98 in Walton County, Florida

US 84 at Exit 13 on I-95 in Liberty County, Georgia

US 24 at Exit 171 on I-70 in Eagle County, Colorado

Tom

> Then there's U.S. 6, which is actually infinitely long. You see, when it
> gets to Provincetown, Massachusetts, 6 hits a rotary. Last time I was
> there, no "End 6" sign was present before the rotary, so it's perfectly
> reasonable to assume 6 just keeps going around and around in a circle
> forever, kinda like the inner groove on the "Sgt. Pepper" album.
>
> Come to think of it, one can also make the infinite-length claim about
> any number of urban beltways.
>
> --
> [JVincent] Z.I.F. - wiva...@zpf.arg - Puvpntb, Vyyvabvf
> "Ab znggre jung lbhe cynaf ner,
> gur erfhyg vf nyjnlf n fhecevfr."

Bob Goudreau

Sep 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/11/97

JVincent (NOS...@net.net) wrote:

: harry sachz wrote:
: >
: > does anyone know of any us highways that terminus in unconventional
: > ways? (e.g. state borders, etc.)

: Don't U.S. 2, 9 and 11 all end at the same intersection in Rouses Point,
: New York?

It seems unlikely, given that US 2 exists both farther east (in New
England) and farther west (in the upper Plains states).

Bob Goudreau Data General Corporation
goud...@dg-rtp.dg.com 62 Alexander Drive
+1 919 248 6231 Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA

H.B. Elkins

Sep 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/11/97

harry sachz <"bugo"@*NO SPAM*hotmail.com> wrote:

>does anyone know of any us highways that terminus in unconventional
>ways? (e.g. state borders, etc.)

I am not sure exactly where the western terminus of US 42 in
Louisville, Ky., is, but some maps show it as being on an unnumbered
city street in downtown Louisville. Others show it as being at the
intersection with US 60; yet others show it as being multiplexed for a
short distance with US 60 and ending at US 31E.

US 25 ends at the Ohio/Kentucky border at the Ohio River bridge. For
its last several miles, it is multiplexed with US 42 and US 127. Even
though US 25 used to continue on through Ohio and Michigan before
being decommissioned, I do not understand why it has to run on to the
Ohio River. Its current logical northern terminus ought to be at its
intersection with US 42 & 127.

Aren't there some weird termini involved with a couple of the new
400-series highways, US 400 and US 412? Seems to me that for its last
several miles on the western end, US 400 is multiplexed with another
US route, but 400 disappears into thin air and other routes keep
going.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
H.B. Elkins -- Winchester, KY
"You must have the courage to believe the truth!" -- Rush H. Limbaugh III
Kentucky Wildcats Basketball & #3 Dale Earnhardt -- A Championship Combination

hbel...@mis.net <or> HB...@aol.com
(Say "nyet" to spam! Please note: there is a spam-buster in my reply-to address.
To reply by E-mail,use one of the addresses above)
http://www.users.mis.net/~hbelkins (last updated 8/9/97)
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Garrett Wollman

Sep 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/11/97

In article <19970911114...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
CARSoft <car...@aol.com> wrote:

>U.S. 2 does not 'end' at the intersection (just after crossing Lake
>Champlain from Vermont) in Rouses Point. It just disappears (no signs, no
>nothing) and reappears in Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan then continues to the
>west coast.

No. Take a look at ``United States Numbered Highways'' some time.
The eastern and western sections are considered two separate highways
which happen to share the same number (if you look in the table of
contents, you'll see something like ``2 (eastern section)'' and ``2
(western section)''). There is no ``hidden US 2'' between Rouses
Point and SSM.

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman | O Siem / We are all family / O Siem / We're all the same
wol...@lcs.mit.edu | O Siem / The fires of freedom

Mike Wiley

Sep 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/11/97

harry sachz wrote:

> does anyone know of any us highways that terminus in unconventional
> ways? (e.g. state borders, etc.)

US 74 and 76 end in Wrightsville Beach, NC at opposites ends of the
beach. Both highways cross a bridge onto an island, then US 76
eastbound turns south and US 74 eastbound turns north ending at opposite
ends of the same street.

US 26 and US 30 end at US 101 junction in Astoria, OR at the end of the
Columbia River bridge. Driving southbound on 101 over the bridge, you
can turn left onto east US 30 or right onto east US 26 (which is also US
101 south). So either way you turn, you are going eastbound.

Old US 126 in Oregon used to have two western terminuses. In Glenwood,
OR (which is just across the Willamette River from Springfield) US 126
either went toward Eugene to the west or turned south toward the I-5
interchange. Both routes were marked as US 126 westbound, one was TO
I-5 and the other was TO US-99. The decommissioning and rerouting of
OR-126 eliminated this split.

In Chattanooga, TN, US 72 eastbound ends and US 76 eastbound begins at
the same intersection (Why didn't they just continue one route or the
other?).

--
Mike Wiley - YLEKOT
http://www.wenet.net/~mwiley

Jody L. Aho

Sep 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/11/97

JVincent wrote:

> harry sachz wrote:
> >
> > does anyone know of any us highways that terminus in unconventional
> > ways? (e.g. state borders, etc.)
At one point, US-23 and US-31 shared a northerly terminus at the south
end of the Mackinac Bridge in Mackinaw City, Michigan, on I-75. The
US-numbered highways were marked as "END" while I-75 continues north
across the bridge and on to Sault Ste. Marie.

US-41's northerly terminus is inside of Fort Wilkins State Park in
Copper Harbor, Michigan.

US-51 ends just north of Hurley, Wisconsin at the junction with US-2
and on the Wisconsin-Michigan border, just a few hundred feet inside of
Wisconsin.

US-53 and US-71 both end in International Falls, Minnesota--if not at
the Canadian border, then very close to each other.

Jody Aho
ja...@cp.duluth.mn.us
http://www.cp.duluth.mn.us/~jaho

Dave Schul

Sep 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/12/97

hbel...@mis.nyet (H.B. Elkins) wrote:

>Aren't there some weird termini involved with a couple of the new
>400-series highways, US 400 and US 412? Seems to me that for its last
>several miles on the western end, US 400 is multiplexed with another
>US route, but 400 disappears into thin air and other routes keep
>going.

As of September 1996, US 400 ended at US 385 in Colorado. To the east
it is multiplexed with US 50, and US 50 does continue on to the west
by itself.

Dave

Dave Schul map...@ukans.edu
Freelance Geographer http://falcon.cc.ukans.edu/~dschul
Lawrence, Kansas Home of the Jayhawks

Frisc...@msn.com

Sep 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/12/97

> U.S. 2 does not 'end' at the intersection (just after crossing Lake
> Champlain from Vermont) in Rouses Point. It just disappears (no signs, no
> nothing) and reappears in Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan then continues to the
> west coast.

The western portion of U.S. 2 no longer goes to Sault Sainte Marie.
After I-75 was constructed in the early 60's, the two highways were
cosigned from St. Ignace to the Soo (SSM). About 10 years ago (or so)
Michigan decommissioned the 2 segment from St. Ignace to SSM. So now the
east end of the western U.S. 2 ends at I-75 in St. Ignace (just north of
the Mackinac Bridge).

Rod Thornton
San Francisco (former Michigander)

FranCurcio

Sep 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/12/97

US 206 in NJ doesn't so much terminate as peter-out at _both_ ends.

It meanders through the state, passing through Trenton, Princeton and
Somerville urban areas as well as through some of the most desolate spots
(Pine Barrens, state forests and countryside) NJ has.

At its northern extreme, it peters-out co-signed as a _county_ route (CR
521, I believe this is the only county-US co-signed route in the state),
crosses the Delaware over a toll bridge, and vanishes.

At its southern end, it heads at full steam through Warton State Forest,
intersects US 30, and... Well, the roadway continues 12 more miles
intersecting the AC Expressway, US 322 and US 40 signed only as SR 54.

To make things worse, for a few blocks in snobby, effete Princeton, US 206
is signed as SR 206. By accident or designation, I haven't uncovered yet.

Regards.
Frank A. Curcio ==0== FranC...@aol.com

RMCA # 292 ==0== LHA # 1276

Roads, Local History, Folklore, Maps

== Frank A. Curcio RMCA 292 * LHA 1296 FranC...@aol.com ==
Local History; Maps; Roads; Pop Culture: Folklore
"Always look happy & cheerful. Enjoy life with the one you love" Ecc
9:8

Exile on Market Street

Sep 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/12/97

In article <34176C...@net.net>, unscr...@my.sigfile wrote:

> Then there's U.S. 6, which is actually infinitely long. You see, when it
> gets to Provincetown, Massachusetts, 6 hits a rotary. Last time I was
> there, no "End 6" sign was present before the rotary, so it's perfectly
> reasonable to assume 6 just keeps going around and around in a circle
> forever, kinda like the inner groove on the "Sgt. Pepper" album.

My recollection is that *no* Massachusetts highway actually ends -- they
just disappear. At least, I don't ever recall seeing any "End (route
number)" signs anywhere, including on MA 2, US 20 and MA 30 where they end
in Boston.

OTOH, I did see signs in several places that read "State Highway Ends
Here", only to note that the state highway seemed to continue past that
point. I eventually figured out that these were Mass.-speak for "State
Maintenance Ends Here."

Up until about three years ago, it was difficult to figure where the US and
state highways in the City of Philadelphia ran, let alone whether/where
they ended, as many of the older, city-installed signs had disappeared.
New PennDOT signs have eliminated that problem.

--
Sandy Smith, Exile on Market Street, Philadelphia smi...@pobox.upenn.edu
University Relations, U. of Pennsylvania 215.898.1423/fax 215.898.1203

Michael G. Koerner

Sep 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/12/97

In article <3417AE...@shitboy.com>, jackie turner <mo...@shitboy.com>
wrote:

>JVincent wrote:
>>
>> harry sachz wrote:
>> >
>> > does anyone know of any us highways that terminus in unconventional
>> > ways? (e.g. state borders, etc.)
>>

>> Don't U.S. 2, 9 and 11 all end at the same intersection in Rouses Point,

>> New York? IIRC, 9 and 11 are co-signed between Champlain and Rouses
>> Point, which isn't really necessary, but creates the cool 2/9/11
>> junction.

US 41 ends at the entrance of Fort Wilkins State Park just east of Copper
Harbor, MI. A kind of humble end to a mighty route.

Regards,

Michael G. Koerner
Appleton, WI

***NOTICE*** SPAMfilter in use, please remove ALL 'i's from the return
address to reply. ***NOTICE***

Ron Newman

Sep 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/12/97

In article <smiths-ya02408000...@netnews.upenn.edu>,

>My recollection is that *no* Massachusetts highway actually ends -- they
>just disappear. At least, I don't ever recall seeing any "End (route
>number)" signs anywhere, including on MA 2, US 20 and MA 30 where they end
>in Boston.

I doubt that one out of 100 Masschusetts residents, or even drivers,
could tell you where any of these end. I certainly couldn't. Most people
probably think that MA 2 ends at the traffic light (former rotary) next
to Alewife Station, and that US 20 peters out somewhere in Waltham
or Watertown. I don't think "MA 30" is even a familiar number to most
people around here -- I had to look at a map to find it.

It was a shock to me to discover, just last month, that MA 28 runs
all the way through Boston, rather than being a road that enters from
the north and disappears somewhere around Lechmere Square in Cambridge.
Only when I encountered MA 28 signs in Falmouth did I make the connection.

pki...@nbnet.nb.ca

Sep 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/12/97

In article <3418A7...@cp.duluth.mn.us>, "Jody L. Aho" <ja...@cp.duluth.mn.us> wrote:

>> > does anyone know of any us highways that terminus in unconventional
>> > ways? (e.g. state borders, etc.)
> At one point, US-23 and US-31 shared a northerly terminus at the south
>end of the Mackinac Bridge in Mackinaw City, Michigan, on I-75. The
>US-numbered highways were marked as "END" while I-75 continues north
>across the bridge and on to Sault Ste. Marie.
>
> US-41's northerly terminus is inside of Fort Wilkins State Park in
>Copper Harbor, Michigan.
>
> US-51 ends just north of Hurley, Wisconsin at the junction with US-2
>and on the Wisconsin-Michigan border, just a few hundred feet inside of
>Wisconsin.
>
> US-53 and US-71 both end in International Falls, Minnesota--if not at
>the Canadian border, then very close to each other.

US 2 ends about 50 yards from the Canadian border in Houlton, ME. Before I-95
came through, it ended at the border. Now, after you report for customs, 95
and 2 split. I assume the tiny portion between US 2 and the border is I-95.

J.P. Kirby
Fredericton, N.B.
pki...@surfcity.nb.ca (NOT nbnet!)
NB and ME highway lists @ http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Lobby/7212

Garrett Wollman

Sep 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/12/97

In article <5vc7pj$c...@sdrn.zippo.com>,

Ron Newman <rne...@thecia.net.> wrote:
>>number)" signs anywhere, including on MA 2, US 20 and MA 30 where they end

>I doubt that one out of 100 Masschusetts residents, or even drivers,

>could tell you where any of these end. I certainly couldn't.

I'd be happy to tell you, Ron...

SR 2 ends at the Common
SR 2A ends on Mass. Ave. (at Commonwealth Ave./SR 2)
US 3 ends at the southern end of the BU Brige approach (at US 20)
SR 3 ends on Memorial Drive (at the BU Bridge/SR 2)
US 20 ends at Kenmore Square (at SR 2)
SR 30 ends at Packard's Corner (at US 20)

The intersection of Park Drive, Boylston St., the Fenway, the Riverway,
and Brookline Ave. used to be the intersection of routes 1, 2, and 3.
Of course, most people (including the Globe and the MDC sign
department) still believe that US 1 goes through JP and West Roxbury.
SR 203 used to be SR 3.

Mike Wiley

Sep 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/12/97

JVincent wrote:

> harry sachz wrote:
> >
> > does anyone know of any us highways that terminus in unconventional
> > ways? (e.g. state borders, etc.)
>

> Don't U.S. 2, 9 and 11 all end at the same intersection in Rouses
> Point,
> New York? IIRC, 9 and 11 are co-signed between Champlain and Rouses
> Point, which isn't really necessary, but creates the cool 2/9/11
> junction.

I recently was in the Rouses Point area. US 2 ends at US 11 just south
of the Canadian border at the end of the Lake Champlain Bridge. US 11
ends at the Canadian Border. US 9 ends very interestingly. I-87 goes
into the Point of Entry for Canada, but US-9 goes into a cul-de-sac on
the frontage road to the east of I-87. Just south of this cul-de-sac is
the US-9 south sign.

JVincent

Sep 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/12/97

My ISP's news server crashed recently, so I had to paste this in from
DejaNews and reply to an unrelated article in order to stay in this
thread. Sorry.

wx_h...@hotmail.com wrote:

>> Where else do multiple U.S. highways end at the same point? Not just the
>> same city, but the same intersection?
>
>After looking at the atlas a little, I found the following possibilities:

>US 264, US 64, and US 158 at Whalebone, North Carolina? (midway between
>Manteo and Nags Head)

Chalk it up. I've been there; should have remembered that one. And the
DeLorme Atlas of N.C. concurs.

If you're heading east from Manteo on U.S. 64/264, there's an
intersection, at which point you can go left for Bypass U.S. 158,
straight for Business U.S. 158/N.C. 12 North, or right for N.C. 12
South.

So you'll note that we have the termini of *four* U.S. highways here, if
you cheat and count the business and bypass routes as separate.

William S. Riddle, IV

Sep 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/12/97

Garrett Wollman wrote:

> In article <19970911114...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
> CARSoft <car...@aol.com> wrote:
>

> >U.S. 2 does not 'end' at the intersection (just after crossing Lake
> >Champlain from Vermont) in Rouses Point. It just disappears (no
> signs, no
> >nothing) and reappears in Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan then continues
> to the
> >west coast.
>

> No. Take a look at ``United States Numbered Highways'' some time.
> The eastern and western sections are considered two separate highways
> which happen to share the same number (if you look in the table of
> contents, you'll see something like ``2 (eastern section)'' and ``2
> (western section)''). There is no ``hidden US 2'' between Rouses
> Point and SSM.
>

> -GAWollman
>
> --
> Garrett A. Wollman | O Siem / We are all family / O Siem / We're all
> the same
> wol...@lcs.mit.edu | O Siem / The fires of freedom
> Opinions not those of| Dance in the burning flame
> MIT, LCS, CRS, or NSA| - Susan Aglukark and Chad
> Irschick

Actually, there IS a hidden US 2. It's in Ontario and Quebec. The only
reason it's hidden is because the US hasn't invaded Canada yet. It's
all a big conspiracy against the Canadians by the US, I tell ya!

OK, I think we all needed that laugh. :)

| William S. Riddle, IV http://www.mindspring.com/~riddler4 |
| Tenn. Highways Page: http://www.mindspring.com/~riddler4/TNHwys.htm |
| *** To respond to this message, please change the .kom to .com *** |

Tim Brown

Sep 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/13/97

smiths@*spambuster*pobox.upenn.edu (Exile on Market Street) writes:

>Up until about three years ago, it was difficult to figure where the US and
>state highways in the City of Philadelphia ran, let alone whether/where
>they ended, as many of the older, city-installed signs had disappeared.
>New PennDOT signs have eliminated that problem.

Cincinnati is the same way. I just assume US 25 ends at 3rd at Plum, but
I don't even know if they have a sign. I know there was a really
old-looking US 25 sign somewhere near there, but it didn't seem to make
any sense where it was. US 27 is hard to keep track of, not just in
downtown, but a little further north where it splits from US 127. It
looks like it follows I-74 for about 1/2 mile.
I think US 52 still follows Mehring Way, but it's hard to tell.
--
bath...@iglou.com http://members.iglou.com/bathroom
Annoy a Republican -- think for yourself!

pki...@nbnet.nb.ca

Sep 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/13/97

In article <3419F75C...@mindspring.com>, ridd...@mindspring.kom wrote:

>Actually, there IS a hidden US 2. It's in Ontario and Quebec.

No, there isn't. QC 2 was renumbered (I believe as QC 132) in the 1970s, and a
small part of ON 2 in the 1000 Islands area was decommissioned recently.
Before those 2 changes, you could follow "Route 2" from Halifax to Detroit!

J.P. Kirby
Fredericton, N.B. (one of the cities along "Route 2")

Philip Blaiklock

Sep 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/13/97

Until the late 70's or early 80's, US 411 was routed through Johnson
City, TN, my hometown, and continued north 20 miles to Bristol and ended
there. The odd thing is that 411 was routed along the same road as US
11E for it's last 70 miles up to Bristol. This was pretty pointless.
It was also confusing given the other US highways that are joined at the
hip with this road at various points, including 321, 19W, and 23. Roan
St. in Johnson Ciy was once routed as US 23-19W-11E-411, in addition
with ST 36-34. Quite a mess.

Fortunately, they got rid of 411 and made its new terminus somewhere
around Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge.

Sincerely,
|PHILIP BLAIKLOCK /|\ http://washington.xtn.net/~philipb/ |
| Thou /_|_\ |
| Shalt Not \ | / - You Can't Do That On Star Trek! |
| Assume \|/ - The U2 Survey Page! |
|________________________V________________________________________|

"If it had been possible to build the Tower of Babel without
ascending it, the work would have been permitted."

-Franz Kafka

w...@fortwayne.infi.net

Sep 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/13/97

> US 41 ends at the entrance of Fort Wilkins State Park just east of Copper
> Harbor, MI. A kind of humble end to a mighty route.

> Regards,
>
> Michael G. Koerner
> Appleton, WI
>
> ***NOTICE*** SPAMfilter in use, please remove ALL 'i's from the return
> address to reply. ***NOTICE***

Similarly, US 21 (though not nearly as mighty as 41!) has its southern
terminus in Hunting Island State Park, South Carolina.

Tom

Richard C. Moeur

Sep 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/13/97

Jody Aho wrote:

> US-41's northerly terminus is inside of Fort Wilkins State Park in
> Copper Harbor, Michigan.

See my Big 1997 Road Trip page
(http://members.aol.com/rcmoeur/1997trip.html)
for a picture of the sign at the Copper Harbor end of US 41.

Only 1990 miles to Miami, FL!

--
Richard C. Moeur, P.E., N7WTB, E.C.I., whatever...
Practicing Traffic Engineer (I'll get it right someday...)

Kyle Levenhagen

Sep 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/13/97

harry sachz wrote:

> does anyone know of any us highways that terminus in unconventional
> ways? (e.g. state borders, etc.)

Between about 1982 and 1992, US 10 (the longer one) and US 151 ended in
downtown Manitowoc, WI (my hometown), near the Manitowoc Co.
courthouse. (US 151, ending at 8th St., went west out of downtown on
Washington St. US 10 ended at Washington, but existed on both 8th and
10th Streets to the north because both were one-way streets--8th was
northbound, 10th was southbound.) Before 1982, Manitowoc was served by
ferry service across Lake Michigan to Ludington, MI. US 10, before this
time, continued into Michigan, where it ended in downtown Detroit.

However, around 1982, ferry service between the two states was
dramatically reduced, with both Milwaukee and Manitowoc losing their
routes to Ludington and Muskegon, MI. The only remaining route for the
next ten years went from Ludington to Kewaunee, WI. During this time,
Michigan shortened the length of US 10, because most of it ran
along-side I-75. US 10's eastern end then was moved to Bay City, and the
Lodge Freeway in Detroit became M-10.

In the early 90s, with the Ludington-Kewaunee ferry becoming run-down
and less used, it was bought by Charles Conrad, who refurbished the boat
and rerouted it from Ludington to Manitowoc. With service restored in
'92, the old section of US 10 that ran from downtown Manitowoc to the
ferry dock was temporarily marked Business US 10 before it once again
became US 10 across the lake.

Kyle Levenhagen
CE major at the Univ. of Illinois

The Bakers

Sep 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/13/97

The northern end of US 19 occurs rather unceremoniously at 26th and
Peach Streets in Erie PA. There is a standard pair of signs in the
northward direction indicating "END US 19" and "JCT US 20". [Peach
Street is US 19, and 26th Street is US 20]. Nothing flashy.

In the southward direction just beyond the interchange, I believe there
is a "BEGIN US 19" sign (Peach Street is one-way northbound from 26th
Street on...hence no need for a "JCT US 20" sign for southbound traffic,
save a few late night patrons leaving the Uthmann Chor club bar at 25th
and Peach :-)

Peach Street then continues northward (sans US 19 designation) for --you
got it, about 26 more blocks-- down almost (but not quite) up to the
shore of Presque Isle Bay. As of recent times, the 'new' bayfront
highway cuts along the bayshore right in front of Peach Street's path
--- not sure if there is an interchange or Peach Street dead ends short
of it though.

Does the bayfront highway have a route number ? Did they name it after
anybody ? Have they extended it on the eastern end up towards I-90 and
PA/NY 17 yet to make a halfloop around Erie ?

M. Baker
mba...@monmouth.com

Mike McManus

Sep 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/14/97

In article <EGF8v...@iglou.com>, bath...@iglou2.iglou.com (Tim Brown) wrote:
>US 27 is hard to keep track of, not just in
>downtown, but a little further north where it splits from US 127. It
>looks like it follows I-74 for about 1/2 mile.

An interesting thing about this split is that US 27 was supposed to be made
into an expressway. If you take the Colerain Avenue exit off I-74, you can see
the Evel Knievel ramp where the Colerain Avenue Expressway was to begin, and
the large hill on the other side where the bridge was supposed to land, but
there is no bridge there. Instead, you have to follow what would have been the
exit ramp connecting US 27 and Colerain Avenue.

> I think US 52 still follows Mehring Way, but it's hard to tell.

IIRC, it used to follow Mehring Way to the ramp onto the Sixth Street Viaduct,
then multiplex with US 50 to Ohio 128 and head north. It was changed to follow
US 27 from the foot of the Bailey Bridge via Plum/Elm Streets (again, IIRC)
and Central Parkway, to I-74 (at the split you mentioned above). It then
follows I-74 all the way into Indiana.

I don't recall ever seeing a US 25 sign north of the river.

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
_/ Mike McManus _/ home: mmcm...@frontiernet.net _/
_/ Rochester, NY _/ work: mcm...@kodak.com _/
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Michael G. Koerner

Sep 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/14/97

In article <341B37...@monmouth.com>, The Bakers <mba...@monmouth.com>
wrote:

Unknown about plans for a complete 'Loop', and I have thought the same
thoughts myself. The just released USGS 7 1/2' Topographic maps of the area
show the 'Bayfront' just kind of ending east of Downtown Erie. The
I-90/PA-NY 17 interchange is a standard 'trumpet' design (I-90 is the
'straight' through route), and does not look like it was designed to allow
for a westward extension of PA-NY 17 into the Erie area. (I DID drive
through there on a I-90/PA-NY 17 routing this past July).

Scott D Fybush

Sep 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/14/97

US 15 heading north comes to an unceremonious end these days at
NY 17 (someday to be I-86) just outside Corning NY. New York
signs NY 15 fairly regularly along NY 17 west and then I-390 north
from there, until NY 15 splits off along the old US 15 route
up through Livingston County and into Rochester. There's even
an "END 15" sign with the NY 15 shield along Clinton Avenue South
in downtown Rochester.

The memory of US 15 still lingers in Rochester, though; there are at
least two "TO US15" trailblazers downtown (one of them at the start of
NY 15 southbound on South Avenue near Woodbury Blvd.), and there's
a brand-new sign at the northern terminus of NY 15A (East Henrietta Road)
where it meets NY 15 (Mt. Hope Avenue) that shows which lanes
to be in for 15 south and 15 north. It's very well designed...except
that it uses US 15 shields instead of NY 15 shields!

NY 104 across upstate New York used to be US 104 years ago, and
there's still a US 104 sign a few miles east of Oswego, on the
westbound side of the highway.

I wonder: what's the largest county in America without any US highways?
I wonder if Monroe County NY, with over 600,000 people and nary a
US highway since 15 and 104 were decommissioned, qualifies? (On second
thought, no...since there are no US highways anywhere on Long Island,
or in Brooklyn or Queens. But could Rochester be the largest CITY with
no US highways?)

-s

Mike Wiley

Sep 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/14/97

Scott D Fybush wrote:

> I wonder: what's the largest county in America without any US
> highways?
> I wonder if Monroe County NY, with over 600,000 people and nary a
> US highway since 15 and 104 were decommissioned, qualifies? (On
> second
> thought, no...since there are no US highways anywhere on Long Island,
> or in Brooklyn or Queens. But could Rochester be the largest CITY
> with
> no US highways?)

San Diego (pop 1,000,000+) has no US highways, nor does San Diego County
(which is large in both size and population). The City and County of
Honolulu never had any US highways! ;-) Alaska doesn't count, beacuse
they don't have counties or parishes, etc.

H.B. Elkins

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97

Philip Blaiklock <phi...@owlnet.rice.edu> wrote:

>Until the late 70's or early 80's, US 411 was routed through Johnson
>City, TN, my hometown, and continued north 20 miles to Bristol and ended
>there. The odd thing is that 411 was routed along the same road as US
>11E for it's last 70 miles up to Bristol. This was pretty pointless.
>It was also confusing given the other US highways that are joined at the
>hip with this road at various points, including 321, 19W, and 23. Roan
>St. in Johnson Ciy was once routed as US 23-19W-11E-411, in addition
>with ST 36-34. Quite a mess.

>Fortunately, they got rid of 411 and made its new terminus somewhere
>around Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge.

The new terminus of 411 is at Newport. When US 321 was extended west
from Johnson City to I-40 west of the I-75 split in the early 80s, US
321 was multiplexed with 11E west to Greeneville (it took the place of
411 on the multiplex), then along the old US 411 route from
Greeneville to Newport.

Were the state routes (34 and 36) signed as well? It's been my
experience that Tennessee does not sign the "hidden" state routes
which run along the US highways.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
H.B. Elkins -- Winchester, KY
"You must have the courage to believe the truth!" -- Rush H. Limbaugh III
Kentucky Wildcats Basketball & #3 Dale Earnhardt -- A Championship Combination

hbel...@mis.net <or> HB...@aol.com
(Say "nyet" to spam! Please note: there is a spam-buster in my reply-to address.
To reply by E-mail,use one of the addresses above)
http://www.users.mis.net/~hbelkins (last updated 8/9/97)
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Bob Goudreau

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97

Mike Wiley (mwi...@hooked.net) wrote:

: I recently was in the Rouses Point area. US 2 ends at US 11 just south

: of the Canadian border at the end of the Lake Champlain Bridge.

Except that it doesn't truly end there; it picks up again on the
Vermont side of the lake, and continues eastward through New Hampshire
and Maine. I think that its ultimate eastern terminus is at US 1
somewhere in Maine, but I don't have a map handy...

Bob Goudreau Data General Corporation
goud...@dg-rtp.dg.com 62 Alexander Drive
+1 919 248 6231 Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA

Mike Wiley

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97

Bob Goudreau wrote:

Well from that perspective, it starts near the Canadian Border at I-95
in Houlton, ME. It ends at US 11 in Rouses Point, NY. It starts again
at St Ignace, MI at I-75 and it ends again in Everett, WA at I-5
permanently and forever! ;-)

H.B. Elkins

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97

JVincent <NOS...@net.net> wrote:

>Chalk it up. I've been there; should have remembered that one. And the
>DeLorme Atlas of N.C. concurs.

>If you're heading east from Manteo on U.S. 64/264, there's an
>intersection, at which point you can go left for Bypass U.S. 158,
>straight for Business U.S. 158/N.C. 12 North, or right for N.C. 12
>South.

>So you'll note that we have the termini of *four* U.S. highways here, if
>you cheat and count the business and bypass routes as separate.

I've been there, too. Is that Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant still
there at the intersection?

This is another case where there's a needless continuation of a US
highway. 264 should end at the intersection with 64 on the mainland,
and shouldn't be multiplexed on to the Outer Banks.

And has NC 12 been extended north now? It used to end there at the
64/158/264 intersection.

Bob Goudreau

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97

In article <smiths-ya02408000...@netnews.upenn.edu>,

>My recollection is that *no* Massachusetts highway actually ends -- they
>just disappear. At least, I don't ever recall seeing any "End (route

>number)" signs anywhere, including on MA 2, US 20 and MA 30 where they end

>in Boston.

There was definitely an "END 225" sign in Lexington the last time I
was there. This is on Watertown Street (the MA 4/225 exit from MA 2),
right near the bridge; presumably, 225 has a terminus at its junction
with Route 2.

Kirby's of Fredericton

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97

In article <5vjrv6$5...@dg-rtp.dg.com>, goud...@dg-rtp.dg.com (Bob Goudreau) wrote:

>Except that it doesn't truly end there; it picks up again on the
>Vermont side of the lake, and continues eastward through New Hampshire
>and Maine. I think that its ultimate eastern terminus is at US 1
>somewhere in Maine, but I don't have a map handy...

The west end of any road is the *start* of the route. So US 2 starts in Rouses
Point, it crosses the Champlain(?) River into Vermont, then into New Hampshire
and ultimately into Maine.

(BTW, it ends at Exit 63 on I-95 50 yards from the Canadian border in Houlton,
ME.)

J.P. Kirby
Fredericton, N.B.
pki...@surfcity.nb.ca

Matthew E. Salek

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97

harry sachz wrote:

> does anyone know of any us highways that terminus in unconventional
> ways? (e.g. state borders, etc.)

A couple of Wyoming examples: (tell me if I get anything wrong, Andy!)

US 14, 16, and 212 all enter Yellowstone National Park from the east
never to be seen again. In fact, there is *no* signing for US highways
inside the Park. You're just supposed to know where you're going when
get to intersections.

In Jackson, WY, US 26, 189, and 191 come into the southwest side of town
on the same road, and when they turn left, there is an unceremonious
"End 189" sign on a pole beside the street. So, coming north out of
town, only US 26 and 191 are left.

In my research on US highways that go through Colorado, I discovered
that US 385 ends mysteriously in some national park in south Texas.

(Seems to be a pattern here: We should get on the case of the US Park
Service.)

Arizona: Doesn't US 180 end somewhere near the rim of the Grand Canyon?

Here in Colorado, US 400 enters the state *somewhere*, but where, on
what route, and where it ends I still haven't found it. (consequently,
it's not on my Colorado US Highways page)

--
Later! - Matthew E. Salek, future civil engineer at Colorado State

mat...@engr.colostate.edu
Matthew Salek (Info) Highway: http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~mattes

Micro-who? Get a real PC. Get a Mac.

Rich Carlson, N9JIG

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97

A couple of route I know about:

US-54 (east end) Now ends at the junction of US-36/I-72/I-107 north of
Pittsfield IL. It used to end at the old alignment of US-36, then it was
shortened to IL-106 west of Pittsfield until the US-36 freeway was
completed when it was extended again to meet it. It had at one time gone
all the way to Chicago along what is now US-36 to Springfield, IL-54 to
Onarga, and to Chicago on US-45, IL-50, and Vincennes Blvd.

US-14 ends at it's second intersection with US-41, at Foster and Braodway
in Chicago. It used to go downtown at one time, but as many other routes
were pulled back in the 1970's, it was shortened.

US-34 now ends at IL-43 in Berwyn, it too used to go into Chicago,
colocated with US-66 east of IL-43 (IL-42A at the time).

--
* Rich Carlson, N9JIG (n9...@theramp.net) *
ScannerMaster Illinois Communications Guide

Andrew Field

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97

Matthew E. Salek wrote:

> harry sachz wrote:
> >
> > does anyone know of any us highways that terminus in unconventional
> > ways? (e.g. state borders, etc.)
>
> A couple of Wyoming examples: (tell me if I get anything wrong, Andy!)
>
> US 14, 16, and 212 all enter Yellowstone National Park from the east
> never to be seen again. In fact, there is *no* signing for US highways
> inside the Park. You're just supposed to know where you're going when
> get to intersections.
>
> In Jackson, WY, US 26, 189, and 191 come into the southwest side of town
> on the same road, and when they turn left, there is an unceremonious
> "End 189" sign on a pole beside the street. So, coming north out of
> town, only US 26 and 191 are left.

Great job Matt, except one thing: U.S. 89 is also signed alongside U.S.
26, 189, and 191 south of Jackson, and alongside U.S. 26 and 191 north
of Jackson.

> In my research on US highways that go through Colorado, I discovered
> that US 385 ends mysteriously in some national park in south Texas.
>
> (Seems to be a pattern here: We should get on the case of the US Park
> Service.)

I agree. We have U.S. 14, 16, 180, 212, and 385 all ending (beginning)
in National Parks. Any other examples?

P.S. Check out Matt's page and compare his view on U.S. 87 with my view
on U.S. 87. It's interesting to compare our sentiments on that road :-)
Trouble is, I like both of our views!

> --
> Later! - Matthew E. Salek, future civil engineer at Colorado State
>
> mat...@engr.colostate.edu
> Matthew Salek (Info) Highway: http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~mattes
>
> Micro-who? Get a real PC. Get a Mac.

--
Regards,

Andy

-----------------------
To reply, please remove the "NOSPAM" from the address above.

Visit the Wyoming Highways Home Page
http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Lobby/3175/wyoming1.htm

Visit the NHS/ISTEA High Priority Corridors Home Page
http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Lobby/3175/highway.htm

Hannaman

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97

US-222 now ends approx 1 mile north of I-78 in Allentown continuing
north as PA-222. Strangely, the terminus is one block north of
the Dorney Park rollercoasters.

Hannaman

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97

How about the new terminus for US-211 in Warrenton, Virgina.
Previously, US-211 went all the way to Washington DC multiplexed onto
US-29 and US-50. Now US-211 ends at the junction of Business US-211
in Warrentown, then continues east for 1/4 as Business US-15/US-29 north
and Truck US-17 south to the bypass (marked US-15/US-29). Making matters
worse, the US-211 terminus is only 1/4 mile east of the intersection
with US-17 north and Business US-15 south, where US-17 south is then
multiplexed with US-211 west.

US-17 thru Warrenton will soon become Business US-17 when the northern
part of the bypass is complete. Then, Warrenton will have 4 business
routes through different parts of town. And US-211 will still terminate
somewhere in the middle. Makes no sense to me.

hann...@bellatlantic.net
my opinions are those of my own and not those of your phone company.

Philip Blaiklock

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97
to H.B. Elkins

> The new terminus of 411 is at Newport. When US 321 was extended west
> from Johnson City to I-40 west of the I-75 split in the early 80s, US
> 321 was multiplexed with 11E west to Greeneville (it took the place of
> 411 on the multiplex), then along the old US 411 route from
> Greeneville to Newport.

> Were the state routes (34 and 36) signed as well? It's been my
> experience that Tennessee does not sign the "hidden" state routes
> which run along the US highways.

No, they were not. However, maps always show these "hidden routes"
which IMHO is rather pointless. Why does Tennessee and other southern
states have such hidden state routes?

--

Sincerely,
|PHILIP BLAIKLOCK /|\ http://washington.xtn.net/~philipb/ |
| Thou /_|_\ |
| Shalt Not \ | / - You Can't Do That On Star Trek! |
| Assume \|/ - The U2 Survey Page! |
|________________________V________________________________________|

"If it had been possible to build the Tower of Babel without
ascending it, the work would have been permitted."

-Franz Kafka

Bob Goudreau

Sep 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/16/97

:
: The west end of any road is the *start* of the route. So US 2 starts
: in Rouses Point, it crosses the Champlain(?) River into Vermont,
: then into New Hampshire and ultimately into Maine.

If you accept this "starts at the western end" logic, then you're
still off by almost 3000 miles, as US 2's western terminus is a
continent away from Rouses Point, at or near Everett, Washington.
But I'm not sure that I accept your blanket rule anyway. It's
certainly valid for interstate highways (east/west ones anyway;
north/south ones are another story), since their numbering scheme
(road numbers, mileposts and exit numbers) increases from west
to east (and from south to north). But the interstate highway
grid was laid out in this format precisely to avoid confusion
with the older US highway grid, in which route numbers increase
from east to west (and from north to south). So, it seems more
logical to me to say that US 2 begins in Maine and ends in Washington
than vice versa. And by the way, as noted previously, it crosses
*Lake* Champlain between Vermont and New York.

The Bakers

Sep 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/16/97

J.P. and Earl wrote:

> The exit numbering for PA 17 begins at I-90 (and continues into New York, it
> doesn't start over) so I don't think it was planned for a westward extension
> of PA-NY 17 into the Erie area. However, I seem to remember a mention of
> I-79 being extended upward to connect to PA 17 back when that section of PA
> 17 first opened.

That is probably what I am thinking of. I-79 Northbound terminates on
the west side of Erie, "way across town" from where PA/NY-17 joins I-90;
if you don't get off I-79 when it officially ends at 12th Street, then
you're automagically headed north/east on the Bayfront Highway.
Conversely, of course, if you don't get off the Bayfront Highway
westbound, you end up on I-79 Southbound.

So maybe traffic heading to Erie northbound on I-79 could stay on the
same roadway (which becomes the bayfront highway), loop to the east then
south, and end up back at I-90 at/near the PA/NY-17 junction. Someday,
anyhow :-) They have been talking about this sort of thing for at least
25 years (probably more). For now, drivers will have to settle for
scenic East Avenue and surroundings (Hammermill Paper, East High School,
Gertrude Barber Center, Sewage Treatment Plant, etc.)

Of course, if you are merely headed towards Erie on I-79 and want to get
to PA/NY-17 [or vice versa], you can just cut across I-90 directly from
one interchange to the other, making all this academic :-(

M. Baker
mba...@monmouth.com
(who thinks they should name the Bayfront Highway in honor of Mario
Bagnoni)

J.P. and Earl

Sep 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/16/97

Michael G. Koerner wrote in article
<5vftl1$8e0$2...@news.athenet.net>...>Unknown about plans for a complete

'Loop', and I have thought the same
>thoughts myself. The just released USGS 7 1/2' Topographic maps of the
area
>show the 'Bayfront' just kind of ending east of Downtown Erie. The
>I-90/PA-NY 17 interchange is a standard 'trumpet' design (I-90 is the
>'straight' through route), and does not look like it was designed to allow
>for a westward extension of PA-NY 17 into the Erie area. (I DID drive
>through there on a I-90/PA-NY 17 routing this past July).

The exit numbering for PA 17 begins at I-90 (and continues into New York, it

doesn't start over) so I don't think it was planned for a westward extension
of PA-NY 17 into the Erie area. However, I seem to remember a mention of
I-79 being extended upward to connect to PA 17 back when that section of PA
17 first opened.

J.P.

Mike Wiley

Sep 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/17/97

Bob Goudreau wrote:

According to AASHTO's book "US Numbered Highways", US Routes run
either east to west or north to south.

Mike Wiley

Sep 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/17/97

Andrew Field wrote:

According to the AASHTO Publication, "US Numbered Highways", these
highways end at the national park boundaries. For example, US 20 is
listed as having an Eastern Section and a Western Section with
Yellowstone National Park seperating the two sections. US 385 is listed
as ending at Big Bend National Park.

This is not true of all national parks. I did a quick sample. US 441
is listed as traveling through Great Smokey National Park and US 101
travels through both Redwood National Park and Olympic National Park.

I'm not sure why this is true of some National Parks and not true in
others. Aren't all roads within National Parks maintained by the Park
Service and not the states (or other jurisdictions)?

H.B. Elkins

Sep 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/17/97

Mike Wiley <mwi...@hooked.net> wrote:

>This is not true of all national parks. I did a quick sample. US 441
>is listed as traveling through Great Smokey National Park and US 101
>travels through both Redwood National Park and Olympic National Park.

>I'm not sure why this is true of some National Parks and not true in
>others. Aren't all roads within National Parks maintained by the Park
>Service and not the states (or other jurisdictions)?

In the Smokies, US 441 is not signed as such, and commercial traffic
is prohibited. The road is maintained by the NPS; you can certainly
tell the difference at the park boundary.

John R. Grout

Sep 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/17/97

Kyle Levenhagen <leve...@uiuc.edu> writes:

> harry sachz wrote:
> >
> > does anyone know of any us highways that terminus in unconventional
> > ways? (e.g. state borders, etc.)
>

> Between about 1982 and 1992, US 10 (the longer one) and US 151 ended in
> downtown Manitowoc, WI (my hometown), near the Manitowoc Co.
> courthouse. (US 151, ending at 8th St., went west out of downtown on
> Washington St. US 10 ended at Washington, but existed on both 8th and
> 10th Streets to the north because both were one-way streets--8th was
> northbound, 10th was southbound.) Before 1982, Manitowoc was served by
> ferry service across Lake Michigan to Ludington, MI. US 10, before this
> time, continued into Michigan, where it ended in downtown Detroit.

US 9 still contains a ferry link between West Cape May, NJ and Lewes,
DE.

--
John R. Grout john....@reasoning.com
My postings are not official statements by Reasoning, Inc.

MarkA

Sep 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/17/97

In article <3417AE...@shitboy.com>,
jackie turner <mo...@shitboy.com> wrote:

>JVincent wrote:
>>
>> harry sachz wrote:
>> >
>> > does anyone know of any us highways that terminus in
unconventional
>> > ways? (e.g. state borders, etc.)

US 271 begins in ft. smith, ark. at
>business 71 and ends in tyler texas at texas 31, both times falling
just
>a short distance from reaching a us highway (71 business used to be
us
>71). us 371 joins us 59 and 71 at lockesburg, ar (and us 70 a few
miles
>north) and continues northwest to de queen, ar, and just quits.
there
>is a sign that says "end 371" which is rare in arkansas. (i only
know
>of 2 more 'end' signs in ark. us 169 is paired with us 64 in tulsa,
>oklahoma, and just quits at the junction with creek turnpike.

US169 has had a number of southern endpoints over the years. At one
time, it ran down Mohawk Blvd from Owasso, through downtown and
out to the south along with US66 along Southwest Blvd, then south of
Tulsa along Union Ave to Glenpool. At other times, it has terminated
along the Mingo Valley Expressway at wherever the freeway has ended
(which is the current case). Future plans for roads in the area
include a possible freeway (or toll road) from the MV south and east
through Broken Arrow to end up between there and Coweta. If this is
ever built as a free road, it may be signed as US169.

Mark Roberts

Sep 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/17/97

Rich Carlson, N9JIG <NoSpam...@theramp.net> had written:

| A couple of route I know about:
|
| US-54 (east end) Now ends at the junction of US-36/I-72/I-107 north of
| Pittsfield IL.

There is quite a tangle of signs at that point.

| US-14 ends at it's second intersection with US-41, at Foster and Braodway
| in Chicago. It used to go downtown at one time, but as many other routes
| were pulled back in the 1970's, it was shortened.

Oddly enough, the Bryn Mawr Avenune exit off Lake Shore Drive is
marked with the US 14 shield. The signs were recently replaced but
the new signs still have the shield.

I don't believe the eastern terminus of US 56 in Kansas City,
Missouri is marked. US 56 signs just start popping up on East 47th
Street. This may change once Watkins Drive north of Brush Creek is
completed.

--
=== Mark Roberts | Chicago, Illinois | http://www.tezcat.com/~markrobt/ ====

jbej...@us.dhl.com

Sep 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/17/97

In article <34188A20...@hooked.net>,

Mike Wiley <mwi...@hooked.net> wrote:

> harry sachz wrote:
>
> > does anyone know of any us highways that terminus in unconventional
> > ways? (e.g. state borders, etc.)
>
> US 26 and US 30 end at US 101 junction in Astoria, OR at the end of the
> Columbia River bridge. Driving southbound on 101 over the bridge, you
> can turn left onto east US 30 or right onto east US 26 (which is also US
> 101 south). So either way you turn, you are going eastbound.

It was mentioned many months ago on m.t.r, but isn't it a little strange
that US-26 meets US-101 south of Seaside, and then is coupled with US-101
up to Astoria? What is the point of signing US-26 from it's initial
junction with US-101 to Astoria if it doesn't later leave US-101 and go
off in another direction? Why not have US-26 end (start) at US-101 south
of Seaside? I shook my head at that article when it first appeared, but
on a recent trip to Oregon, I confirmed first-hand that these routes are
in fact signed just this way.

--John Bejarano.

MarkA

Sep 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/17/97

In article <341DA77E...@engr.colostate.edu>,

"Matthew E. Salek" <mat...@engr.colostate.edu> wrote:
>harry sachz wrote:
>>
>> does anyone know of any us highways that terminus in unconventional
>> ways? (e.g. state borders, etc.)
>
>In my research on US highways that go through Colorado, I discovered
>that US 385 ends mysteriously in some national park in south Texas.
>
>(Seems to be a pattern here: We should get on the case of the US Park
>Service.)

The park in Texas you are referring to is Big Bend.

MarkA

Andrew Field

Sep 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/17/97

H.B. Elkins wrote:

> Mike Wiley <mwi...@hooked.net> wrote:
>
> >This is not true of all national parks. I did a quick sample. US 441
> >is listed as traveling through Great Smokey National Park and US 101
> >travels through both Redwood National Park and Olympic National Park.
>
> >I'm not sure why this is true of some National Parks and not true in
> >others. Aren't all roads within National Parks maintained by the Park
> >Service and not the states (or other jurisdictions)?
>
> In the Smokies, US 441 is not signed as such, and commercial traffic
> is prohibited. The road is maintained by the NPS; you can certainly
> tell the difference at the park boundary.

Every National Park I've been in has its roads maintained by the Natl
Park Service, but I am sure there are exceptions. From what I can
recall off the top of my head:

Yosemite N.P.: CA-120, 41, and 140 are not signed in the park except at
intersections, and then with non-Caltrans standard signage. These
routes legislative definitions intentionally skip the park.
Incidentally, if I recall correctly, I think there may have been a U.S.
395 shield off of what would be CA-120 that had a black background and
was not a cut-out. It's been awhile and my memory might be foggy, but
that's certainly not Cal Trans standard.

Wind Cave NP: I don't think U.S. 18-385 are signed in Wind Cave Natl
Park in South Dakota -- there are the little brown signs (often wooden)
pointing to various scenic spots and points of interest.

Yellowstone NP: There are no signs for any U.S. routes, even at the
various junctions along the Grand Loop Road. For more detail on the
Grand Loop Road (and other Wyoming highways), visit my Grand Loop Road
page:

http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Lobby/3175/grand.htm

There are exceptions to this -- take I-94 in Theodore Roosevelt National
Park. It is certainly signed, and I didn't notice any maintenance
changes at the national park line. Which brings up another question:
what other Interstate highways enter National Parks?

But getting back to the crux of this thread, I think the reason why U.S.
20, 89, 191, et. al. are not listed in the U.S. route guide as
continuous is because they are closed in winter. Is U.S. 34 (Trail
Ridge Road) in Rocky Mountain Natl Park broken up in the AASHTO guide?

And the reason why U.S. 14, 16, 212, and 385 end at the border of their
respective national parks is because they do not continue on the other
side of the park. U.S. 441 in the Smoky Mountain NP is probably
continuous in the AASHTO guide just to provide continuity and because it
is a year-round route. This might hold true for the U.S. routes in
other national parks as well.

Mike Wiley

Sep 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/17/97

jbej...@us.dhl.com wrote:

> In article <34188A20...@hooked.net>,

> Mike Wiley <mwi...@hooked.net> wrote:
> >

> > harry sachz wrote:
> >
> > > does anyone know of any us highways that terminus in
> unconventional
> > > ways? (e.g. state borders, etc.)

Being the resident Oregon Highways expert (well, someone's gotta do it!
;-) ), the reason is to illustrate that US 26 the most direct route
between Portland and Astoria. The control city for US 26 westbound past
Beaverton usually "Tillamook-Seaside" or "Tillamook-Astoria".

Kyle Levenhagen

Sep 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/17/97

Rent "Kindergarten Cop" sometime. To get from Portland to Astoria, they
take US 26. (I have no idea why I know this.)

Kyle Levenhagen
CE major at the Univ. of Illinois

William S. Riddle, IV

Sep 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/17/97

Andrew Field wrote:

Let's not forget that infamous Cumberland Gap Tunnel, which carries US
25E through the Cumberland Gap National Historical Park. The road goes
right through (and under) national park land and is still signed as US
25E. Also, I believe US 58 in either Virginia or it's new Tennessee
portion or both also go through national park land, and it is also
signed as such.

| William S. Riddle, IV http://www.mindspring.com/~riddler4 |
| Tenn. Highways Page: http://www.mindspring.com/~riddler4/TNHwys.htm |
| *** To respond to this message, please change the .kom to .com *** |

H.B. Elkins

Sep 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/18/97

"William S. Riddle, IV" <ridd...@mindspring.com> wrote:

>Let's not forget that infamous Cumberland Gap Tunnel, which carries US
>25E through the Cumberland Gap National Historical Park. The road goes
>right through (and under) national park land and is still signed as US
>25E. Also, I believe US 58 in either Virginia or it's new Tennessee
>portion or both also go through national park land, and it is also
>signed as such.

Having traveled this area several times, I can confirm this. Signage
on the routes is consistent with the states in which the roads enter,
including a sign on the old portion of 25E in Virginia which was
replaced by the tunnel, which was a classic example of a Virginia
reassurance marker atop a mileage sign. It gave the mileage to
Middlesboro (5, I believe), Lexington (144) and some other city in
between. Can't remember if it was Corbin, London or Richmond.

Signage seems to be standard for the states involved, although most of
the signposts are printed brown.

Road maintenance also seems to be consistent with the states, but the
new bridges along 25E have that cute stone facade. :-)

Mike Wiley

Sep 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/18/97

H.B. Elkins wrote:

> "William S. Riddle, IV" <ridd...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
> >Let's not forget that infamous Cumberland Gap Tunnel, which carries
> US
> >25E through the Cumberland Gap National Historical Park. The road
> goes
> >right through (and under) national park land and is still signed as
> US
> >25E. Also, I believe US 58 in either Virginia or it's new Tennessee
> >portion or both also go through national park land, and it is also
> >signed as such.
>
> Having traveled this area several times, I can confirm this. Signage
> on the routes is consistent with the states in which the roads enter,
> including a sign on the old portion of 25E in Virginia which was
> replaced by the tunnel, which was a classic example of a Virginia
> reassurance marker atop a mileage sign. It gave the mileage to
> Middlesboro (5, I believe), Lexington (144) and some other city in
> between. Can't remember if it was Corbin, London or Richmond.
>
> Signage seems to be standard for the states involved, although most of
>
> the signposts are printed brown.
>
> Road maintenance also seems to be consistent with the states, but the
> new bridges along 25E have that cute stone facade. :-)

It may be that who maintains the highway through a National Park is
influenced by the age of the park. Older Parks, such as Yellowstone and
Yosemite seem to have the highways maintained by the park service with
park service signage. Newer National Parks such as Redwood National
Park still have state maintained highways.

BTW: Cumberland Gap is not a National Park, but a National Historic
Park. There may be different levels of Park Service control over the
roads in a park depending on the kind of park it is. For example, I
know that National Recreation Areas have private land holdings within
them, where National Parks do not.

jbej...@us.dhl.com

Sep 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/19/97

> Being the resident Oregon Highways expert (well, someone's gotta do it!
> ;-) ), the reason is to illustrate that US 26 the most direct route
> between Portland and Astoria. The control city for US 26 westbound past
> Beaverton usually "Tillamook-Seaside" or "Tillamook-Astoria".

Actually US-26 was part of one of three side-trips we took while we were
there. The first was to Astoria via US-26 to Astoria, and US-30 back to
Portland. The others were the "Columbia Gorge-Mt. Hood Loop", and the
trip to Mt. St. Helens. We put about 900 miles on the rental car. :-)

Mike Ballard

Sep 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/23/97

The current terminus of US 6 in Bishop is very anti-climactical. All that is
there is just an END US 6 sign. It looks like :

END

(shield)
US 6

--
Mike Ballard
mapm...@smartlink.net

Virtual Tours of US 6 and US 99 are at :
http://www.smartlink.net/~mapmaker/highway.htm

Visit the Santa Clarita Resources Page at :
http://www.smartlink.net/~mapmaker

History, Geology, and Local Bicycling Information

Hannaman

Sep 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/24/97

In addition to US-222 terminus in Allentown, the other US-222 terminus
at US-1 near Conowingo Dam, MD is kind of goofy. It continues south
as MD-222 on US-1 south and also continues south as Truck MD-222 going
north on US-1 to MD-275 then to MD-276. I didn't see an "END" sign.

Going north at the start of US-222, the road is initially marked as
Truck US-222. The first marker indicating US-222 is 1/4 mile south of
the Pennsy border.

Scott D. Rhodes

Sep 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/27/97

>The current terminus of US 6 in Bishop is very anti-climactical. All that is
>there is just an END US 6 sign. It looks like :

> END

>(shield)
> US 6

This reminds me of one of my all-time favorite sign "mistakes". U.S. 421's
southern terminus is at Federal Point, North Carolina, about 40 minutes south
of Wilmington (not as far as it sounds, as the road is 35-45 mph for much of
this distance). The road takes you almost to the very edge of the island (a
little bit south of the point where you can get on the Fort Fisher-Southport
ferry), and then ends as a parking lot for a boating dock. Before you come up
to the lot (which is unpaved), you see the "END" sign above the "421" in the
U.S. highway shield, and the perspective makes it look like the island ends
just a few meters in front of you, which may actually be the case (the parking
lot is mostly to the left). In short, this is the end of the road both
literally and figuratively, and it by God looks like it, too.

So what's the error? The 421 shield is (or at least was) gone, so that this
road has a sign, right before the pavement ends, that simply says:

END

:-)

MBHockey13

Sep 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/28/97

.>US 15 heading north comes to an unceremonious end these days at
>NY 17 (someday to be I-86) just outside Corning NY. New York
>signs NY 15 fairly regularly along NY 17 west and then I-390 north
>from there, until NY 15 splits off along the old US 15 route
>up through Livingston County and into Rochester. There's even
>an "END 15" sign with the NY 15 shield along Clinton Avenue South
>in downtown Rochester

There still is one US-15 sign on NY-17 (I-86) west/northbound just as you
get off US-15. However, there is one NY-15 sign in the middle of US-15
between Corning and the PA line.

>NY 104 across upstate New York used to be US 104 years ago, and
>there's still a US 104 sign a few miles east of Oswego, on the
>westbound side of the highway.

On NY-104 in Niagara Falls there are at least 2 remaining US-104 shields,
as well as a couple US-62A shields that everywhere else are signed as
NY-62A. I've seen the Oswego one, just around a bend west of the town.

MBHockey13

Oct 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/4/97

>The current terminus of US 6 in Bishop is very anti-climactical. All that is
>there is just an END US 6 sign. It looks like :
>

> END
>
>(shield)
> US 6

The other end of US-6 in Provincetown, MA (and for everyone who knows what kind
of town that is I was in & out of there as quickly as possible, no pun
intended. My girlfriend wanted to see the shops.) is if I remember just a loop
upon itself, or onto MA-1A. There is NO "END US-6" sign which is very
anticlimatic. I'm not really sure where it ends at all, or if this loop is an
infinite continuation of the US-6 East into US-6 West.

Also, too many US highways end at their decommisioned continuations without any
notification other than the shield going from a US to a state one (e.g. US-15
into NY-15, which was, US-15, etc.)

Paul Schlichtman

Oct 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/6/97
to MBHockey13

--------------D197F1AC3765FAE59BB280A9

The eastern end of US-6 in Provincetown... well, Provincetown is an
interesting community. Let's jsut say that the town is a combination of
fishermen (mostly of Portugese extraction) and people celebrating
alternative sexual lifestyles. The local shops support this.
Surrounding the commercial area (on Commercial Street) and the developed
portion of town is the Cape Cod National Seashore, with some of the most
beautiful bike/ature trails and dune formations in the country. In
Provincetown, US-6 becomes a bypass, thus MA 6A appears for a couple of
miles.
I think a great idea, leaving Provincetown on US-6, would be a mileage
sign for the westernmost point on the highway. And get with it
California, move the western terminus of US-6 at a place as scenic on
the Pacific Ocean as it is on the Atlantic.

--------------D197F1AC3765FAE59BB280A9

<HTML>
<FONT COLOR="#0C067F"><FONT SIZE=+1>The eastern end of US-6 in Provincetown...
well, Provincetown is an interesting community.&nbsp; Let's jsut say that
the town is a combination of fishermen (mostly of Portugese extraction)
and people celebrating alternative sexual lifestyles.&nbsp; The local shops
support this.&nbsp; Surrounding the commercial area (on Commercial Street)
and the developed portion of town is the Cape Cod National Seashore, with
some of the most beautiful bike/ature trails and dune formations in the
country.&nbsp; In Provincetown, US-6 becomes a bypass, thus MA 6A appears
for a couple of miles.</FONT></FONT>
<BR><FONT COLOR="#0C067F"><FONT SIZE=+1>I think a great idea, leaving Provincetown
on US-6, would be a mileage sign for the westernmost point on the highway.&nbsp;
And get with it California, move the western terminus of US-6 at a place
as scenic on the Pacific Ocean as it is on the Atlantic.</FONT></FONT></HTML>

--------------D197F1AC3765FAE59BB280A9--

Ron Newman

Oct 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/6/97

In article <19971004041...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
mbhoc...@aol.com (MBHockey13) wrote:

> The other end of US-6 in Provincetown, MA (and for everyone who knows what
> kind of town that is I was in & out of there as quickly as possible, no pun
> intended.

Why?

> is if I remember just a loop
> upon itself, or onto MA-1A.

There's no MA route 1A anywhere near Provincetown. MA route 1A runs from
Dedham to Attleboro, and also from East Boston to Salisbury.

--
Ron Newman rne...@thecia.net
http://www2.thecia.net/users/rnewman/

MBHockey13

Oct 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/9/97

I meant MA-6A not MA-1A

Steve Hannaman

Oct 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/13/97

I forgot about the interesting terminus for US-158/US-64/US-264 in
South Nags Head, NC. Like the one in Oregon, US-64/US-264 east simply
turns into US-158 west and heads north as a fourlane business bypass
until it turns back off the Outer Banks at Southern Shore, NC.