IOS4 update

1 view

Lynn W

Jun 28, 2010, 12:35:57 PM6/28/10
Is it just me or has anyone else that has updated an iPhone 3G noticed that
this upgrade has slowed up the phone when accessing functions.

Lynn
Live for today, as tomorrow is not promised

Chris Pisarra

Jun 28, 2010, 12:39:07 PM6/28/10

"Lynn W" <lynn.wi...@FOREVERREDbtinternet.com> wrote in message

> Is it just me or has anyone else that has updated an iPhone 3G noticed
> that
> this upgrade has slowed up the phone when accessing functions.

Nope, it isn't just you--it's everyone.

Thanks, Steverino.

Chris

Jason S

Jun 28, 2010, 12:41:18 PM6/28/10

Others have complained of that problem. The iPhone 3G barely gets by
with iOS 4

--
Jason

Lynn W

Jun 28, 2010, 12:42:28 PM6/28/10
On 28/06/2010 17:41, in article
1640263977299436046.27...@news.giganews.com, "Jason S"
<ja...@hello.invalid> wrote:

Is it possible to take it back to the original software?

Wes Groleau

Jun 28, 2010, 12:49:20 PM6/28/10
On 06-28-2010 12:39, Chris Pisarra wrote:
> "Lynn W"<lynn.wi...@FOREVERREDbtinternet.com> wrote in message
>> Is it just me or has anyone else that has updated an iPhone 3G noticed
>> that
>> this upgrade has slowed up the phone when accessing functions.
>
> Nope, it isn't just you--it's everyone.

Wrong. Mine is approximately the same as before.

--
Wes Groleau

Change is inevitable.
Conservatives should learn that "inevitable" is not a synonym for "bad."
Liberals need to learn that "inevitable" is not a synonym for "good."
-- WWG

Wes Groleau

Jun 28, 2010, 12:51:07 PM6/28/10
On 06-28-2010 12:49, Wes Groleau wrote:
> On 06-28-2010 12:39, Chris Pisarra wrote:
>> "Lynn W"<lynn.wi...@FOREVERREDbtinternet.com> wrote in message
>>> Is it just me or has anyone else that has updated an iPhone 3G noticed
>>> that
>>> this upgrade has slowed up the phone when accessing functions.
>>
>> Nope, it isn't just you--it's everyone.
>
> Wrong. Mine is approximately the same as before.

(Sheepish grin) OK, I have a 3GS. mea culpa.

On the other hand, my son is not complaining about his 3G
being slower.

--
Wes Groleau

The Inca: Yesterday and Today
http://Ideas.Lang-Learn.us/russell?itemid=1487

salgud

Jun 28, 2010, 1:07:23 PM6/28/10

hmmm. Let me think.

O yes, there's this new-fangled thing, called Google (0r Bing). You open
virtually any browser, go to the the Search box (except in Chrome, which
has only one text entry box for both), and type in "revert to iPhone 3.x"
(you may have to try more than one way of saying it to get what you're
looking for), then pick from the many options that appear. Some will be
better than others.

I suggest you copy the above paragraph and put it somewhere you can find it
the next time you want to know how to do most anything. Then you don't have
to pester others that have better things to do than hold you hand.

Lynn W

Jun 28, 2010, 1:09:53 PM6/28/10
On 28/06/2010 18:07, in article z1zp1r0011ow.1og7bwhixxtyc$.d...@40tude.net,
"salgud" <spamb...@comcast.net> wrote:

Sarcasm isn't required and hopefully you never need any help!

Lynn W

Jun 28, 2010, 1:10:41 PM6/28/10
On 28/06/2010 18:07, in article z1zp1r0011ow.1og7bwhixxtyc$.d...@40tude.net,
"salgud" <spamb...@comcast.net> wrote:

I have better people than you to 'hold my hand' if I want it.

Jason S

Jun 28, 2010, 1:16:44 PM6/28/10

There is no supported way of doing it, and any "under the table" way of
doing it is definitely going to be quite risky. May I suggest this
article on downgrading your iPhone 3G (I do not condone downgrading
simply because it could easily screw up your device)

http://lifehacker.com/5572003/how-to-downgrade-your-iphone-3g%5Bs%5D-from-ios-4-to-ios-313

Hope

it goes well. JUST MAKE SURE TO BACK UP ALL OF YOUR STUFF. Don't make
your device a brick.

--
Jason

salgud

Jun 28, 2010, 3:01:12 PM6/28/10

One can only hope.

done with you

Jun 28, 2010, 3:24:26 PM6/28/10
salgud <spamb...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Then you don't have
> to pester others that have better things to do than hold you hand.

The question was on topic & appropriate. Where your response was the
waste of everyone's time time. I'll give you a 3 on the troll-o-meter!

Lynn W

Jun 28, 2010, 3:52:16 PM6/28/10
On 28/06/2010 20:01, in article 153lbvqs1bd3.14n3ryma08rbb$.d...@40tude.net,
"salgud" <spamb...@comcast.net> wrote:

I didn't ask you personally for any input, you had no need to reply at all
to the original observation. If you don't want to assist anyone then don't
that is entirely your prerogative but also please spare us the sarcasim as
well.

Lynn W

Jun 28, 2010, 3:54:33 PM6/28/10
On 28/06/2010 20:24, in article
byebye-675957....@news.giganews.com, "done with you"
<bye...@nospam.com> wrote:

Thank you, I had looked around myself but found answers relating to
Jailbreaking which I wouldn't want to do and I thought someone on here as is
very often the case had actually come up with a solution that worked. I have
heard that there may be another update on the way that may solve it so the
answer may be to wait for that.

salgud

Jun 28, 2010, 6:12:33 PM6/28/10

That's all? Just a 3? I'm really dissappointed.

I See

Jun 28, 2010, 8:20:28 PM6/28/10

Yes, download your chosen FW, connect your 3G, click Shift and Restore in
iTunes, select your saved FW ipsw file and restore.

When finished, you'll get error 1015.
Download "iHackintosh iRecovery Package for Windows & Mac", install LibUSB
and run iRecovery from the command prompt (there are four commands).
Once rebooted, you'll be back on your chosen FW.

If JB'ing, use Ultrasn0w from http://repo666.ultrasn0w.com in Cydia for your
unlock.

Robert Haar

Jun 28, 2010, 8:52:56 PM6/28/10
On 6/28/10 12:35 PM, "Lynn W" <lynn.wi...@FOREVERREDbtinternet.com>
wrote:

> Is it just me or has anyone else that has updated an iPhone 3G noticed that
> this upgrade has slowed up the phone when accessing functions.

My 3G was quite slow when I first upgraded to iOS4. But I followed some
advice on the Apple Support Forum. A combination of Settings -> General ->
Reset -> Reset All Settings, followed by a full shut down and restart did
wonders to improve the operation.

Gripper

Jun 29, 2010, 4:38:49 AM6/29/10

"Robert Haar" <bob...@me.com> wrote

> My 3G was quite slow when I first upgraded to iOS4. But I followed some
> advice on the Apple Support Forum. A combination of Settings -> General ->
> Reset -> Reset All Settings, followed by a full shut down and restart did
> wonders to improve the operation.

Thankyou very much for that- the "lag" on input seems to have vanished on my
iPhone 3G, after that.

Diablos Rojos

Jun 29, 2010, 5:54:12 AM6/29/10

"salgud" <spamb...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Yes how dare she ask for a bit of advise on Iphone in an Iphone NG.

I take it you have nothing better than to try and be a smart arse on Usenet?
Well done you don't look smart, just a bit of a prick.

Wes Groleau

Jun 29, 2010, 7:26:18 AM6/29/10
On 06-29-2010 05:54, Diablos Rojos wrote:
> Yes how dare she ask for a bit of advise on Iphone in an Iphone NG.
> I take it you have nothing better than to try and be a smart arse on Usenet?
> Well done you don't look smart, just a bit of a prick.

Hear, hear! As Larry Wall said, “There ain’t nothing in this world
worth being a snot about.”

(On the other hand, it was a bit of overkill for the OP to
tell him off four times in four posts.)

--
Wes Groleau

Scribd Copyright Violations
http://Ideas.Lang-Learn.us/russell?itemid=1529

Lynn W

Jun 29, 2010, 7:37:16 AM6/29/10
On 29/06/2010 12:26, in article i0cl8s$4jf$1...@news.eternal-september.org,
"Wes Groleau" <Grolea...@FreeShell.org> wrote:

> On 06-29-2010 05:54, Diablos Rojos wrote:
>> Yes how dare she ask for a bit of advise on Iphone in an Iphone NG.
>> I take it you have nothing better than to try and be a smart arse on Usenet?
>> Well done you don't look smart, just a bit of a prick.
>

> Hear, hear! As Larry Wall said, ģThere ainđt nothing in this world
> worth being a snot about.ē

> (On the other hand, it was a bit of overkill for the OP to

> tell him off four times in four posts.)

Hi Wes
I only count 3 replies to him and 2 were in direct response to his post the
3rd was something I forgot to say in one of the other replies :-)
I have tried the reset option mentioned in this listing and I think it is
responding a little quicker do hope there is a 'fix' from Apple for it
though.
Thanks everyone for their help.

Wes Groleau

Jun 29, 2010, 10:21:57 AM6/29/10
On 06-29-2010 07:37, Lynn W wrote:
> I only count 3 replies to him and 2 were in direct response to his post the

No biggie. I'm wearing mittens, so I can't count very well. :-)

--
Wes Groleau

"There are more people worthy of blame
than there is blame to go around."

RBnDFW

Jun 29, 2010, 1:54:07 PM6/29/10

My 3G works fine.
Some things are quicker. For example, Stanza used to take forever to
load a big book. Now it is much quicker.
The camera zoom is worthwhile

Lynn W

Jun 29, 2010, 3:44:55 PM6/29/10
On 29/06/2010 18:54, in article i0dc00$p3m$1...@news.eternal-september.org,
"RBnDFW" <burkh...@gmail.com> wrote:

I havent got camera zoom on my 3G are you sure you've not got 3GS?

Mike

Jun 29, 2010, 4:08:53 PM6/29/10

Take three steps forward to zoom in and three steps back to zoom out,
seems to work well however beware of hazards in your path such as cliff
edges or rivers.

Mike

Lynn W

Jun 29, 2010, 4:16:38 PM6/29/10
On 29/06/2010 21:08, in article i0djsm$ek5$2...@news.eternal-september.org,
"Mike" <mikelovescham...@googlemail.com> wrote:

LOL :-)

nospam

Jun 29, 2010, 4:16:52 PM6/29/10
In article <i0djsm$ek5$2...@news.eternal-september.org>, Mike
<mikelovescham...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> > I havent got camera zoom on my 3G are you sure you've not got 3GS?
>

> Take three steps forward to zoom in and three steps back to zoom out,
> seems to work well however beware of hazards in your path such as cliff
> edges or rivers.

that's not the same as a zoom lens, not to mention the fact that no
iphone has a zoom lens (digital zoom does not count, it's a hack).

Mike

Jun 29, 2010, 4:58:12 PM6/29/10

Even the iphone cannot replace a sense of humour.

Mike

Sythos

Jun 29, 2010, 4:58:57 PM6/29/10
On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 20:44:55 +0100
Lynn W <lynn.wi...@FOREVERREDbtinternet.com> wrote:

> I havent got camera zoom on my 3G are you sure you've not got 3GS?

touch the main image and a slide appear on bottom, of screen

Larry

Jun 29, 2010, 5:46:41 PM6/29/10
nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote in news:290620101316527496%
nos...@nospam.invalid:

> that's not the same as a zoom lens,

http://samples.republicpublishi.netdna-cdn.com/Nokia-N8-sample-5.jpg

http://samples.republicpublishi.netdna-cdn.com/Nokia-N8-sample-6.jpg
with real Xenon flash for this shot.....

http://samples.republicpublishi.netdna-cdn.com/Nokia-N8-sample-3.jpg

Unretouched 12MP shots from new Nokia N8....amazing.

http://vimeo.com/11266224?hd=1

It takes better HD 720p video than most movie cameras available. This
video makes all but one of my computers balk on full screen 720p. Play it
on your fastest box.

It's like a camera with a phone built into it.....Nokia N8. The next N
series phone will be MeeMo Linux!

--
Global Warming and Creationism are to science what storks are to
obstetrics...

Larry

Message has been deleted

Wes Groleau

Jun 29, 2010, 7:42:10 PM6/29/10
On 06-29-2010 15:44, Lynn W wrote:
> I havent got camera zoom on my 3G are you sure you've not got 3GS?

The camera app in iOS4 has a simulated zoom.
Tap on the image, and a slider appears.
Slide it to make the image larger (and
quite grainy on a 3GS)

--
Wes Groleau

Local Cheerleaders Make Newsweek
http://Ideas.Lang-Learn.us/russell?itemid=1460

Wes Groleau

Jun 29, 2010, 7:43:51 PM6/29/10
On 06-29-2010 18:02, Michelle Steiner wrote:
> You can't pinch zoom as with a picture in
> the photo app.

Which was a dumb move on Apple's part.
Invent a clever gesture, and as soon as
it becomes second-nature to your customers,
make them use something else.

--
Wes Groleau

You Can Make $25,000 a year Collecting Neighbors’ Trash
http://Ideas.Lang-Learn.us/russell?itemid=1002

Message has been deleted

nospam

Jun 29, 2010, 8:05:59 PM6/29/10
In article <i0e0fp$sbn$2...@news.eternal-september.org>, Wes Groleau
<Grolea...@FreeShell.org> wrote:

> > You can't pinch zoom as with a picture in
> > the photo app.
>
> Which was a dumb move on Apple's part.
> Invent a clever gesture, and as soon as
> it becomes second-nature to your customers,
> make them use something else.

pinching would be absolutely stupid in that situation, especially since
it would obscure the subject, and unlike a previously taken photo, the
image is not static (except maybe for still life photography).

a slider for a zoom control works like the zoom ring on a real camera
lens.

or would you prefer the p&s version of zoom, a pair of buttons labelled
w & t, which you repeatedly tap to zoom?

a slider makes perfect sense in this instance.

Wes Groleau

Jun 29, 2010, 11:53:48 PM6/29/10
On 06-29-2010 20:05, nospam wrote:

> <Grolea...@FreeShell.org> wrote:
> pinching would be absolutely stupid in that situation, especially since

Not stupid enough to keep me from trying it.

> it would obscure the subject,

You think so? It didn't. For one thing, it's not pinching to zoom in,
it's spreading. And I tried exactly what works on photos: Put a finger
on each side and pull apart. Neither on a "live" not a static image
does that obscure what is between my fingers.

> a slider for a zoom control works like the zoom ring on a real camera
> lens.

That sounds like fodder for a stupid flame war over definitions.
"Sliding isn't rotating"
"Yes it is, you idiot."
"No it isn't you #%^*%^&*$ $%&$%& $%^*$&*"
"What, you think Hitler had a slider on his Leica?"
"Godwin's Law!! Godwin's Law!!"

> or would you prefer the p&s version of zoom, a pair of buttons labelled

> w& t, which you repeatedly tap to zoom?

Why would you ask me that? Didn't I make it obvious I preferred the
two-finger gesture I'd already gotten used to?

> a slider makes perfect sense in this instance.

Not to me, and not to the people who had to be told how to make the
slider appear.

I prefer what I prefer. Neither the Apple haters nor the Apple lovers
can tell me what I should prefer. Well, they can tell me, but it
doesn't change me. Just like my telling you won't change you.
If you like it, you like it. I don't: I think they came up with a great
intuitive idea and they should have stuck with it.

--
Wes Groleau

"To know what you prefer, instead of humbly saying
Amen to what the world tells you you should prefer,
is to have kept your soul alive."
-- Robert Louis Stevenson

Message has been deleted

Lynn W

Jun 30, 2010, 2:38:34 AM6/30/10
On 30/06/2010 00:42, in article i0e0cj$sbn$1...@news.eternal-september.org,
"Wes Groleau" <Grolea...@FreeShell.org> wrote:

> On 06-29-2010 15:44, Lynn W wrote:
>> I havent got camera zoom on my 3G are you sure you've not got 3GS?
>
> The camera app in iOS4 has a simulated zoom.
> Tap on the image, and a slider appears.
> Slide it to make the image larger (and
> quite grainy on a 3GS)

Thank you so much for that everyone I never realised it actually did that!

nospam

Jun 30, 2010, 2:51:30 AM6/30/10
In article <C850A4FA.2DEE3%lynn.wi...@FOREVERREDbtinternet.com>,
Lynn W <lynn.wi...@FOREVERREDbtinternet.com> wrote:

> > The camera app in iOS4 has a simulated zoom.
> > Tap on the image, and a slider appears.
> > Slide it to make the image larger (and
> > quite grainy on a 3GS)
>
> Thank you so much for that everyone I never realised it actually did that!

digital zoom is nothing more than cropping when you take the photo. you
have a *lot* more control in post processing. crop exactly what you
want, which can change, and rotate if needed along with whatever other
adjustments might be necessary.

Lynn W

Jun 30, 2010, 2:58:46 AM6/30/10
On 30/06/2010 07:51, in article 290620102351302183%nos...@nospam.invalid,
"nospam" <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

Yes that's right but I was thinking it would be handy for when I am only
taking the picture to MMS it to someone else straight away.

bj

Jun 30, 2010, 11:03:25 AM6/30/10
"Lynn W" <lynn.wi...@FOREVERREDbtinternet.com> wrote in message

Me neither until I stumbled across it yesterday.
I'm gradually stumbling through what this thing can do & my it is fun!
bj

RBnDFW

Jun 30, 2010, 1:43:23 PM6/30/10

You are correct, my wife's phone is 3GS.

RBnDFW

Jun 30, 2010, 1:44:14 PM6/30/10
Lynn W wrote:
> On 29/06/2010 21:08, in article i0djsm$ek5$2...@news.eternal-september.org,
> "Mike" <mikelovescham...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 29/06/2010 8:44 PM, Lynn W wrote:

>>> I havent got camera zoom on my 3G are you sure you've not got 3GS?
>>>

>>> Lynn
>>> Live for today, as tomorrow is not promised
>>>
>> Take three steps forward to zoom in and three steps back to zoom out,
>> seems to work well however beware of hazards in your path such as cliff
>> edges or rivers.

Didn't work too well for that schoolteacher at Yellowstone a couple
years ago =:O

Matt Simpson

Jul 1, 2010, 12:50:34 PM7/1/10
I caught the middle of the thread and lots track of attributions, but
somebody said:

> > I havent got camera zoom on my 3G are you sure you've not got 3GS?

I have a 3G (Yes, I'm sure it's not 3GS), and I have camera digital
zoom. I found it accidentally. Touch the screen, anywhere in the
image, (not in the bar with the shutter button), and a zoom slider will
pop up.