Apple, when testing FaceTime for FacePalm, found even MORE security bugs (which were never found in original insufficient testing)

arlen holder

Feb 8, 2019, 10:42:55 PM2/8/19
People wondered what the _delay_ was, where it seems clear now!

Fact + logic.
o That's all I write.

Adult fact.
Adult logic.

o Apple's delay may indicate QA found long-standing super-serious facetime flaws
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/1V5tFA1OQ0w>

In deference to badgolferman's request, this post assumes an adult reader.
o Apple rolls out fix for FaceTime eavesdropping bug
<https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/07/tech/apple-facetime-bug-fix/index.html>

The _reason_ Apple took so long, is that this is likely arguably the very
FIRST TIME Apple has _ever_ tested the facetime & related product
sufficiently - and - guess what - they found MORE SECURITY BUGS!

These security bugs were clearly not found in original testing!
o They were only found _after_ proof of insufficient testing went viral

"While investigating the [Facepalm] bug, Apple discovered another
security issue involving Live Photos on FaceTime. The company did
not specify what the bug was or how it worked, but the new updates
fixes that issue. Apple disabled the use of LivePhotos in FaceTime
on devices that have not yet been updated"

Exactly as I said it would happen... Apple management likely realized that
FaceTime was _never_ sufficiently tested (i.e., the bugs likely existed
since the _beginning_ but Apple has _refused_ to answer that question),
saying only:

"In addition to addressing the bug that was reported, our team
conducted a thorough security audit of the FaceTime service
and made additional updates to both the FaceTime app and
server to improve security"

Hence, everything was likely _exactly_ as I had predicted.
o Apple is very predictable, once you realize that IMAGE is everything!

Even the apologists are very predictable,
o Once you realize all they _can_ do, is parrot what Apple tells them.

The fact is that FaceTime was never sufficiently tested...
o Until it went viral that this is a fact

Once the fact Facetime wasn't sufficiently tested went viral
o Then, and only then, did Apple sufficiently test FaceTime (we hope)

Those are facts that adults can comprehend.

arlen holder

Mar 27, 2019, 1:25:24 PM3/27/19
On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 03:42:55 -0000 (UTC), arlen holder wrote:

> o Apple's delay may indicate QA found long-standing super-serious facetime flaws
> <https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/1V5tFA1OQ0w>

There is a lot of proof that Apple finds only 1 out of 10 security bugs in
their software in this thread today:
o iOS v12.2 is out now! (by Ant)
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/v3y5ih7ReCE>

Where just one guy (Samuel Gross) at Google Project Zero found almost as
many bugs (only 1 less) than did _all_ of Apple, which is a pretty damning
statement on Apple's supreme lack of any reasonable level of QA when one
guy outdoes the _entire_ company on finding bugs.

*The number of huge such holes in iOS is literally shocking!*

And that's not me using that word ... it's in this report published today!
"*Those are just a few of the most shocking [iOS] security flaws*"
<https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/26/tech/ios-12-2-security/index.html>

Specifically, what seems to have happened is that Apple, finally, for the
first time seemingly, has looked at Facetime, and found security hole after
security hole after security hole after security hole.

And it's not just Facetime, but even shocking flaws in the microphone!
"Perhaps the most notable fix: Apple patched a flaw that could allow
malicious applications to access the microphone on your iPhone
and record you and those around you. "

That article goes on to remind us that:
"But that's just one of the vulnerabilities..."

Where, there's more privacy & security holes Apple only found by putting
eyes on Facetime, seemingly for the first time, where Apple fixed
o a problem with the FaceTime app that prevented video chats from pausing
o a loophole that allowed users to access sensitive information in the
Messages app and websites visited
o see information from their phone's light and motion sensors
etc.

All perhaps simply because a mother went viral on the Internet
o Apple may not care about testing, but they care very much about IMAGE!