Why Hawaii Still Has So Few Electric Cars

JAB

Oct 16, 2019, 11:01:38 PM10/16/19
Why Hawaii Still Has So Few Electric Cars

Only about 1% of cars here are electric vehicles. Advocates say
boosting that number requires mandating builders install charging
stations at new developments.

https://www.civilbeat.org/2019/10/why-hawaii-still-has-so-few-electric-cars/

PS: Electric would be ideal for those living in Hawaii...no long trips
possible:-) Electric rates are high there, but so is gasoline...I've
not seen this bean counted out.

Ernie B.

Oct 17, 2019, 9:22:47 PM10/17/19
"Mandating?" Phooey! If the demand is there then charging stations will
be built. If the demand isn't there then mandated equipment is a waste of
time and money. IMO the only thing accomplished by mandating something is
to give some politician a feeling of power.
--
Ernie B.

Communication: The art of moving an idea from one mind to another,
hopefully without distortion.

JAB

Oct 17, 2019, 10:11:29 PM10/17/19
On Thu, 17 Oct 2019 20:22:46 -0500, "Ernie B."
<ernie-...@neb.rr.com> wrote:

>"Mandating?" Phooey! If the demand is there then charging stations will
>be built. If the demand isn't there then mandated equipment is a waste of
>time and money.

Quite a few people live in "vertical" housing (aka high rises,
apartments, etc) there. If no recharging stations exist in these new
developments, guess what, they don't buy electric vehicles, generally
speaking.

Cities have built water/sewer/etc infrastructure, so they will be
available when they come, and build homes/etc.

Some newer built homes stateside come with a 220volt charging
station...

With Eisenhower's interstate roadway, I think he had a military
interest for it, but in those days when built, mainstream consumers
did not travel much; trucking industry had an interest for it.

People do have an interest in electric vehicles, but these charging
stations are few. Considering Hawaii is a warm environment, electric
vehicles would be ideal there.

Ernie B.

Oct 18, 2019, 9:25:12 PM10/18/19
On Thu, 17 Oct 2019 21:11:20 -0500, JAB wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Oct 2019 20:22:46 -0500, "Ernie B."
> <ernie-...@neb.rr.com> wrote:
>
>>"Mandating?" Phooey! If the demand is there then charging stations will
>>be built. If the demand isn't there then mandated equipment is a waste of
>>time and money.
>
> Quite a few people live in "vertical" housing (aka high rises,
> apartments, etc) there. If no recharging stations exist in these new
> developments, guess what, they don't buy electric vehicles, generally
> speaking.

What does "vertical/horizontal" housing have to do with ownership of
electric vehicles? If a person decides that owning a Tesla or Leaf is a
good idea then he will find a way to charge it.

> Cities have built water/sewer/etc infrastructure, so they will be
> available when they come, and build homes/etc.

The beginnings of an infrastructure anyway. It's up to the builder to tie
into the water/sewer main.

> Some newer built homes stateside come with a 220volt charging
> station...

Most houses have had 220 volt electric service since the 1950s.

> With Eisenhower's interstate roadway, I think he had a military
> interest for it, but in those days when built, mainstream consumers
> did not travel much; trucking industry had an interest for it.

Yeah, the Autobahn was one of Hitler's better ideas. The original purpose
was to move troops and equipment easily.

> People do have an interest in electric vehicles, but these charging
> stations are few. Considering Hawaii is a warm environment, electric
> vehicles would be ideal there.

Probably. If the demand is there, charging stations will be installed.
For profit, like a gasoline station. Not because it's mandated.

JAB

Oct 18, 2019, 10:02:20 PM10/18/19
On Fri, 18 Oct 2019 20:25:10 -0500, "Ernie B."
<ernie-...@neb.rr.com> wrote:

>What does "vertical/horizontal" housing have to do with ownership of
>electric vehicles? If a person decides that owning a Tesla or Leaf is a
>good idea then he will find a way to charge it.

Ok, say a person has a unit in Trump International Hotel Waikiki, and
its temporary housing for this person....meaning he/she comes to
Hawaii multiple times each year, for R&R.

Now, they have parking, but do they have electric charging stations?
If not, would this person consider an electric vehicle?

Footnote - "On November 10, 2006, almost three full years before
completion, all 462 units were pre-sold in one day for a total of $700
million, or $1.5 million on average."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trump_International_Hotel_and_Tower_(Honolulu)

Hence, money is not the issue here, and this type of person will not
waste time looking for a charging station...got better things to
do...don't you think?

JAB

Oct 18, 2019, 11:10:02 PM10/18/19
<ernie-...@neb.rr.com> wrote:

>If the demand is there, charging stations will be installed.

Article noted, "Hawaii now has 10,000 electric vehicles on the road.
Per capita, Hawaii ranks second behind California in its adoption of
electric cars, Stanbro said."

Also related,

Sep 26, 2019, - Smart Charge Hawaii partnership seeks to expand
state's EV infrastructure

The Smart Charge Hawaii smart EV charging program, a partnership
between Hawaiian Electric Cos., Enel X and Elemental Excelerator, is
aiming to simplify EV charging across the Islands.

This partnership will allow the funding for Enel X's level 2 smart
charging stations, powered by JuiceNet software, to be given away to
300 EV drivers and 50 businesses in Hawaiian Electric Companies'
service territory who sign up to participate.
"This could be good for a customer who already has an EV but is doing
slow trickle charging off a regular plug or one who is considering
buying an EV, but has not decided whether to invest in level 2
charging," Peter Rosegg, spokesperson for the Hawaiian Electric Cos.
told Pacific Business News.

https://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/news/2019/09/26/smart-charge-hawaii-partnership-seeks-to-expand.html

JAB

Oct 19, 2019, 7:39:24 AM10/19/19
<ernie-...@neb.rr.com> wrote:

>For profit, like a gasoline station. Not because it's mandated.

BTW, here's are some issues with private sector is best "for you"
rhetoric

Currently, "PG&E CEO Says It Could Impose Blackouts in California for
a Decade "

April 2004 - A LAW ENFORCEMENT PERSPECTIVE ON THE CALIFORNIA ENERGY
CRISIS

California’s first effort at open competition among power companies
has failed to fulfill its promise of cheap and reliable power — like a
light bulb that stays dark when the switch is flipped. Instead of
seeing prices reduced by the deregulated electricity market,
ratepayers and taxpayers were stunned by blackouts and huge bills as
they watched energy generators and traders game the system, inflate
prices and stuff their own pockets.

https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/agweb/pdfs/publications/energywhitepaper.pdf

Ernie B.

Oct 20, 2019, 12:20:55 PM10/20/19
There are legal remedies for failure to fulfill "as advertised" promises;
Enron for instance.

Ernie B.

Oct 20, 2019, 12:21:13 PM10/20/19
I think that the person would send go-fer No. 2, aka Assistant Chief of
Staff, to charge the vehicle up and bring it around when its time to go
somewhere.

JAB

Oct 20, 2019, 1:31:38 PM10/20/19
On Sun, 20 Oct 2019 11:20:54 -0500, "Ernie B."
<ernie-...@neb.rr.com> wrote:

>There are legal remedies for failure to fulfill "as advertised" promises;
>Enron for instance.

How about: "Trump's Promise of a Wall May Not Be Fulfilled as
Advertised ..."

Mexico was going to pay for it, right?

Ernie B.

Oct 20, 2019, 3:22:15 PM10/20/19
The only thing lacking is congress critters with the backbone to represent
their constituents. IMO Mr. Trump belongs in jail - or a padded cell.

JAB

Oct 20, 2019, 8:59:33 PM10/20/19
On Sun, 20 Oct 2019 14:22:14 -0500, "Ernie B."
<ernie-...@neb.rr.com> wrote:

>congress critters with the backbone to represent
>their constituents

I get weekly updates from an educated Republican Congressman...here's
his first sentence:

"As the Democrat-led impeachment circus against our a duly-elected
President continues, it is important to be clear about how this newest
witch hunt began. "

I suspect this is boilerplate rhetoric, but it shows, imho, he has
been "assimilated" via GOP...he's united with the GOP herd.

Notice these words used...circus....witch hunt....which are used to
"influ·ence" a clueless reader's perception.

Ernie B.

Oct 20, 2019, 10:19:29 PM10/20/19
There are a few who don't check their moral compass and brain at the far
right counter, but darn few. John McCain was the most prominent although
I've seen hopeful signs that some others are waking up.

JAB

Oct 20, 2019, 11:23:10 PM10/20/19
On Sun, 20 Oct 2019 21:19:27 -0500, "Ernie B."
<ernie-...@neb.rr.com> wrote:

>I've seen hopeful signs that some others are waking up.

I would suspect House Democrats are securing factual information
concerning Trump-Ukraine matter. With next election, those
congressional members who opposed impeachment may be 'targeted' by
ads, if impeachment does happen.

As noted elsewhere, each senator must do the following:

"The standing rules also provide that when it comes time to vote, each
senator stands by her or his desk and simply announces “guilty” or
“not guilty.”
http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/10/trumps-potential-senate-impeachment-trial-what-we-know.html

So, if the evidence supports fully that Trump was out of line, each
senator will have to decide if their allegiance is for the party, or
for the constitution.

And those who favor the party may have blowback for years.