Another new reader

Gail M. Walker

Aug 3, 1994, 11:08:22 AM8/3/94
Hello - I see it's delurking day. I've only been reading misc.kids
for about a week or so. I don't know if I can keep up, there are
SO many messages. I hope the vote for splitting it up goes through.

My name is Gail Walker. I have 2 children, Rebecca is 6 and will be in
first grade this fall. Danny is 4 and goes to nursery school at our
temple. We live in Belmont, MA. The children's father and I separated
last fall; he lives in the same town now. Eventually, if we can ever
agree on the property settlement or if we go to court, we will be divorced.
Fortunately, with a mediator's help, we worked out all arrangements
concerning the children before we actually separated and that has been
working well. In this area, we cooperate. We set up schedules and request
changes of each other by email.

The children seem to have adjusted well. We intend to have joint legal
custody and I have primary physical custody. We split each weekend
(instead of the more traditional alternationg weekends) and they are
at his house 1 night during the week. He also comes to my house 2 other mornings
a week to take them to school/camp, so they do see both of
us almost daily. He does more child care now than when we were together
and my life is much improved - I get some ME time now.

When I returned to work after Danny's birth I only worked 3 days a week
for a few years and now I work 4 days a week. This gives me the extra
flexibility to deal with children's illnesses, doctor and dentist
appointments, etc.

Gail Walker
ga...@belmont.com (preferred) or
walk...@eisner.decus.org