How to add a new key in *.map file?

Gabriel Oliveira Mendanha

May 24, 2014, 9:17:21 PM5/24/14
to min...@googlegroups.com
Hello people,

I'm having a problem, I have in my keyboard a key when pressed should print in my screen "/" or "?" when pressed with SHIFT.
When I press this key while on minix3 it returns me a message "ignoring unrecognized straight scancode 0x73". I've already tried copying and modifying
the abnt2.src, generated a.out, generated abnt2.map. Nothing worked for me, I think i might be editing the file source file wrong. Can anyone help my with this scancode?

0x73 in decimal is 115, I've already tried modifying the 115 row which was empty.

HalfMadDad

May 25, 2014, 8:21:31 AM5/25/14
to min...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gabriel

I don't know anything about map files yet but are you running X ?  I have modified keys on Linux through X and might be able to help.

Antoine LECA

May 26, 2014, 4:24:54 AM5/26/14
to min...@googlegroups.com
Seems you are right on track however.

First, the obvious: from your description, it seems you generate the
correct map, but did not "load" it into the system (this is done either
automatically at boot by copying the new .map file into /etc/keymap, or
manually at any time using the loadkeys(1) command.)

Otherwise, I agree with you that "73" (set 1) key is specific to the
Brazilian keyboard (just left to the right shift key in the normal
layout), and indeed it is lacking from the abnt2.src keyboard, a defect
MINIX should correct when the freeze ends. Also missing is the "7E" key,
which is located on the keypad, between the + key and the Enter key, and
which 7E (126) key should emit a '.' character when the 53 key between 0
and Enter should rather emit a '.' character, isn't it?

Antoine

Marcelo Alencar

Mar 5, 2018, 1:28:38 AM3/5/18
to minix3