Question of the day:

Tom Gralewicz

Nov 15, 2012, 3:44:54 PM11/15/12
to milwaukeemakerspace
Does the space need a player piano?

--
Tom Gralewicz
Miller Electronics Recycling
(414) 380-1716
www.deadcomputers.com

Jason Hilleshiem

Nov 15, 2012, 3:47:10 PM11/15/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Yes.

--

Joseph Bozarth

Nov 15, 2012, 3:47:31 PM11/15/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Yes. I may be biased because I have not gotten to play a piano in 7 months and I just really want a piano so...

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 2:44 PM, Tom Gralewicz <m...@ieee.org> wrote:

Joseph Bozarth

Jim Rawson

Nov 15, 2012, 3:50:54 PM11/15/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Yes, we can cut it up for the wood.

jason gessner

Nov 15, 2012, 3:52:19 PM11/15/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
jim, shut your mouth!

We need it so we can make it make crazy music!

-jason

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 2:50 PM, Jim Rawson <taxi...@gmail.com> wrote:

Yes, we can cut it up for the wood.

-jason

Joseph Bozarth

Nov 15, 2012, 3:53:31 PM11/15/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone know how to tune a piano? If we get it and move it it is going to need to be tuned again even if it is in tune now.

Pete Prodoehl

Nov 15, 2012, 3:53:37 PM11/15/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Only if we hack the living shit out of it...  add an Arduino, Raspberry Pi, some 3D prints, laser-cut accessories, etc.

(But then, that's going to be my answer to almost any question.)

Pete

Pete Prodoehl

Nov 15, 2012, 3:55:26 PM11/15/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

And I haven't played pool in a few years:

    http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/zip/3409550989.html

Pete

Royce Pipkins

Nov 15, 2012, 3:56:35 PM11/15/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Animatronic pumpkins can sing along with the music.

The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do.
B. F. Skinner

Joseph Bozarth

Nov 15, 2012, 3:57:27 PM11/15/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
@Royce: +1

Pete Prodoehl

Nov 15, 2012, 3:57:41 PM11/15/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

I can tuna fish, but I can't tune a piano.

Jim Rawson

Nov 15, 2012, 3:59:43 PM11/15/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

A REO Speedwagon reference! But can pumpkins shoot pool?

Joe Buck

Nov 15, 2012, 3:59:28 PM11/15/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
and MIDI, of course!

-jb

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 2:53 PM, Pete Prodoehl <ras...@gmail.com> wrote:

Vishal Rana

Nov 15, 2012, 4:01:16 PM11/15/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
And lightning...somehow, somewhere

Pete Prodoehl

Nov 15, 2012, 4:04:59 PM11/15/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

But seriously folks...

We should just have a screen on the wall at Lenox that rotates through the most recent/interesting stuff from the craigs list free category...

We could use a Raspberry Pi, because everything needs a Raspberry Pi in it...

Joseph Bozarth

Nov 15, 2012, 4:09:06 PM11/15/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Somehow I feel that that would end with the space overflowing with half broken things.

jason gessner

Nov 15, 2012, 4:42:27 PM11/15/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
how is that different than what the space looks like now?

ZING!

:)

-jason

-jason

Joseph Bozarth

Nov 15, 2012, 4:43:26 PM11/15/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
This is true

Kevin Bastyr

Nov 15, 2012, 5:01:13 PM11/15/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Back to the point - yes - lets get that piano!

is Toms lift Gate truck available, or will a van suffice?

Kevin Bastyr

Nov 15, 2012, 5:07:14 PM11/15/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

I just left a message on her machine.

Tom Gralewicz

Nov 15, 2012, 5:07:56 PM11/15/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Its a 3 or 4 person job to get it out of a house.  If its under 4' tall it will fit in the van.
We would need to pick it up in the evening to use the box truck.

Mainly I wanted to see if people thought this would be a good thing to have at the space, or just an oddity taking up room

Quick voting system:  First 6 votes for or against decide, let the voting being!

Tom

Kevin Bastyr

Nov 15, 2012, 5:08:29 PM11/15/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

For.

Sent from my mobile telephone device.

Joseph Bozarth

Nov 15, 2012, 5:08:47 PM11/15/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
for

Matt Wittmann

Nov 15, 2012, 5:08:55 PM11/15/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

I say yes. . I will help load.

Jim Rawson

Nov 15, 2012, 5:20:24 PM11/15/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Yes. I will help also.

Matt Wittmann

Nov 15, 2012, 5:21:26 PM11/15/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Jim your such a gentlemen.

On Nov 15, 2012 4:20 PM, "Jim Rawson" <taxi...@gmail.com> wrote:

Yes. I will help also.

jason gessner

Nov 15, 2012, 5:22:27 PM11/15/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
for and i will help load if i am available.

-jason

-jason

Joseph Bozarth

Nov 15, 2012, 5:24:12 PM11/15/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
I can help too if needed.

Jim Rawson

Nov 15, 2012, 5:27:56 PM11/15/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

By the way Matt,  I have a Temperature Sensor - Waterproof (DS18B20) that I want to donate to your oil case.  I will bring it tonight.

Temp.jpg

Shane

Nov 15, 2012, 5:31:02 PM11/15/12
to milwaukeemakerspace
For. I'll volunteer to load if'n I'm not too busy huntin' wabbits or
something....

On Nov 15, 4:27 pm, Jim Rawson <taxil...@gmail.com> wrote:
> By the way Matt,  I have a Temperature Sensor - Waterproof (DS18B20) that I
> want to donate to your oil case.  I will bring it tonight.
>

>  Temp.jpg
> 39KViewDownload

David Buggs

Nov 15, 2012, 5:31:48 PM11/15/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
As much as I like nostalgia, old pianos simply do not stay in tune.  Over time they loose so much moisture the joints loosen up.  That is why so many pianos (even those that were once very expensive) like Steinway Grand pianos end up in the junkyard rather than being refurbished/repaired.

I understand the possible desire to hack the hell out of it, perhaps so one could watch the inner workings.  But I see the novelty of that wearing off rather quickly.

Question, for these type of items who owns them?  I seem to recall the space doesn't own things for liability reasons.

I think the board should develop some sort of policy for this type of thing or the new space will resemble a junkyard much sooner than anyone can imagine.

I vote no.

Shane

Nov 15, 2012, 5:33:39 PM11/15/12
to milwaukeemakerspace
Additionally, I have one request...it must NOT play "The Entertainer"
at any point. Ever.

Kevin Crowley

Nov 15, 2012, 6:13:17 PM11/15/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
I can tune a piano or a harp(I have 2) and make minor adjustments to the action of the piano.

Pete Prodoehl

Nov 15, 2012, 6:15:29 PM11/15/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Player piano, right? I assume we can create our own rolls, and program it to play the theme to Mario Bros or Tetris or something.

Maybe it should be incorporated into the doorbell system.

Pete

Vishal Rana

Nov 15, 2012, 6:19:06 PM11/15/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
It would be great if it would also be triggered at the top of the hour...like a clock tower.

Vishal
From: Pete Prodoehl <ras...@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 17:15:29 -0600
Subject: Re: [MakerSpace] Re: Question of the day:

Kevin Crowley

Nov 15, 2012, 6:20:12 PM11/15/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Rolls are easy to program.  laser cutter almost Ideal for it.

David Buggs

Nov 15, 2012, 6:51:25 PM11/15/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Ok, I will say yes if it acts as a doorbell.  I also like Pete's idea of creating custom music rolls, we can cut them on the 40W laser, although we'll need to figure out how to handle a long roll or tape short pieces together...

Joe Buck

Nov 16, 2012, 1:45:26 AM11/16/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
As for the liability issues and the lack of a lease for the player
piano, I, for one, am willing to sign a waiver that in the event that
i get sucked into the player piano or, worse, somehow generate,
goodness gracious, great balls of fire with the thing, that i will
release and forever hold harmless the Milwaukee Makerspace, the
trustees of the Milwaukee Makerspace, and/or its members, groups or
members, affiliates, landlords, employees, officers, agents or
insurers. By the way, this release is strictly limited to the
aforementioned events.

sincerely,
Joe Buck

Shane

Nov 16, 2012, 1:58:58 AM11/16/12
to milwaukeemakerspace
And I, for one, am willing to sign a release that states,
"In the event that the Milwaukee Makerspace gets sued for any damned
thing, the suing party agrees to take the piano on the condition that
it is permanently set to play the Mario Brothers theme at every
quarter hour."
Sincerely,
-Shane T.

Joe Buck

Nov 16, 2012, 2:46:04 AM11/16/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Right. That too. I was too busy thinking about getting sucked into a player piano to put my cause/effect hat on.

Kevin Crowley

Nov 16, 2012, 9:54:36 AM11/16/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Someone buy it for a buck and then lease it back.

David Buggs

Nov 16, 2012, 10:13:10 AM11/16/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
I had a great uncle who was missing an eye because he was playing with the insides of a piano and a string broke slicing him across the face.  I'd be in favor of a black hole, what better way to get rid of junk lying around.

Buggs

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 1:46 AM, Joe Buck <jtb...@gmail.com> wrote:

Brent Bublitz

Nov 16, 2012, 10:15:27 AM11/16/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Automate the piano and use it as the doorbell for the new space. Make it pound out "Hells Bells" or something. Nice part is that it really does not need to be in tune for that.

Shane

Nov 16, 2012, 10:21:07 AM11/16/12
to milwaukeemakerspace
No, "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" ala The Simpsons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PyBWLALFLQ

On Nov 16, 9:15 am, Brent Bublitz <phot...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Automate the piano and use it as the doorbell for the new space. Make it
> pound out "Hells Bells" or something. Nice part is that it really does not
> need to be in tune for that.
>

> On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 9:13 AM, David Buggs <david.bu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I had a great uncle who was missing an eye because he was playing with the
> > insides of a piano and a string broke slicing him across the face.  I'd be
> > in favor of a black hole, what better way to get rid of junk lying around.
>
> > Buggs
>
> > On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 1:46 AM, Joe Buck <jtb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Right. That too. I was too busy thinking about getting sucked into a
> >> player piano to put my cause/effect hat on.

Kevin Bastyr

Nov 16, 2012, 10:23:54 AM11/16/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

" old pianos simply do not stay in tune. Over time they loose so much moisture the joints loosen up."

This just can't be the reason old pianos don't stay in tune.  Piano strings are stretched on a metal frame, so moisture plays no role.

Harpsichord strings are stretched on a wooden frame (the soundboard) - which is susceptible to humidity and temperature changes.  That's why pianos stay in tune much longer than harpsichords do.

Dan Felix

Nov 16, 2012, 10:30:02 AM11/16/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Kevin Crowley

Nov 16, 2012, 11:09:27 AM11/16/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Interesting system.  Ingenious even.  I see 2 flaws. One is that the piano must be tuned slightly sharp for the system to work properly.  The second is if a string goes flat you still have to manually tune it

Kevin, The metal strings under tension do stretch, if unplayed the metal string can crystallize over time, and the pins holding the strings can loosen.  The holes holding the pins can elongate and deform so that sufficient tension can not be applied to the string.  If any of these conditions are minor they can be fixed or compensated for.

Jim Rawson

Nov 16, 2012, 11:40:42 AM11/16/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

I rest my case.  We should cut it up for the wood so it can't hurt anybody.

killer piano.jpg