New building plan

Tom Gralewicz

Oct 17, 2012, 10:35:54 AM10/17/12
to milwaukeemakerspace
I want to start an organized approach to the new building, those of you who studided architecture will recognize the following approach:

Step 1:  Identify the areas we need, things like a metal shop, electronics parts library, etc.  - at this point we don't care where they go or how big they will be and we don't want to group them either.

Step 2:  Create a diagram showing all the areas and their relationships, primarily shared resources and activities.  Here is where we start grouping related areas - like the electronics library, lab and PCB area.

Step 3:  Arrange the diagram to put related areas next to each other.

Step 4:  Map the diagram onto the building, there will be some compromises and it won't be perfect.

So lets start Step 1:  I want to make 2 lists, one is essential areas - mostly what we all ready have and what we really need, the 2nd is for areas that would be nice but are not essential.
I'm a bit of a luddite so I will start it as a thread on the e-mail list, but if someone wants to move it to the wiki that would be fine.

Necessary spaces:

Wood shop
Metal shop
wood storage
metal storage
laser cutters
plastic storage
electronics lab
PCB lab
electronics library
Textiles lab - clean space for the embroidery and sewing machines
Welding area
Casting area
Member Pallet storage
Member cabinet/locker storage
Member square rental
Beverage storage and distribution
3D Printer area
CNC router land
Support equipment - air compressor, vent pumps for lasers, dust collector

Desired spaces:

Kitchen
Silk screen press area
printing lab
Computer testing/repair lab
Co-location data center
A/V experience - HMMMMM, wall o speakers, wall o monitors
Snack storage and consumption area
Spray booth for painting
Sand blasting area

--
Tom Gralewicz
Miller Electronics Recycling

Brent Bublitz

Oct 17, 2012, 10:57:13 AM10/17/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Dark room/light tight area for various light-sensitive processes.
Photography, screen printing, etc. Ideally there would be a slop sink
and power sprayer in there as well.

Brent Bublitz

Oct 17, 2012, 10:58:12 AM10/17/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Now that I'm thinking of it, we do need a large sink area(s) for
various things. The bathroom sinks won't cut it at all.

Brent Bublitz

Oct 17, 2012, 10:59:11 AM10/17/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
We need water access outside the building as well, just a hose hookup
for washing stuff outside or for fire protection for various
activities.

Have Blue

Oct 17, 2012, 11:05:03 AM10/17/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
I was going to mention sinks as well - best to have several sink
stations around, even if just laundry tub sinks.

Brent Bublitz

Oct 17, 2012, 11:06:34 AM10/17/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
I'm thinking something in stainless or plastic like this:
http://www.freestylephoto.biz/62710-Delta-6-ft.-Commercial-ABS-Darkroom-Sink-72-in.-x-22-in.-x-5-in.

I'm sure we could find it cheaper somewhere.

Pete Prodoehl

Oct 17, 2012, 11:09:59 AM10/17/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

I'd like to take this opportunity to mention this page with ideas for the new space:

    http://wiki.milwaukeemakerspace.org/miscellaneous/newbuildingideas

As for determining usage, will this be a task taken on by the entire membership, the board, the landlords, or a combination of those groups?

Pete

Jim Rawson

Oct 17, 2012, 11:12:52 AM10/17/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

I am available for raised floor removal.  We also might want to take advantage of the dumpster at Chase and get rid of unhackable / just taking up space type stuff.

Kevin Bastyr

Oct 17, 2012, 11:36:26 AM10/17/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
I ignored Pete's Preexisting page, and Wiki'd this thread up.

Check it:  http://wiki.milwaukeemakerspace.org/miscellaneous/newbuildingspaceplan

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 10:12 AM, Jim Rawson <taxi...@gmail.com> wrote:

I am available for raised floor removal.  We also might want to take advantage of the dumpster at Chase and get rid of unhackable / just taking up space type stuff.

Ron Bean

Oct 17, 2012, 11:43:08 AM10/17/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
>Necessary spaces:

Add: an area for working on vehicles.
This is a large area, and closely tied to the location of the garage
door. We should discuss how much space to devote to this.
Maybe enough room for 2 vehicles at a time?

Tom Gralewicz

Oct 17, 2012, 11:46:00 AM10/17/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
The idea of setting up a board was for them to make basic decisions and to assemble proposals on major decisions for the entire group to vote on.
It will take input from all sources to come up with a plan, that's what this thread is the start of.

I hope to start this process Saturday morning at the board of directors meeting.

Tom

Shane

Oct 17, 2012, 11:47:59 AM10/17/12
to milwaukeemakerspace
Tom, any word on the Coke machine?

I haven't seen anyone from MSOE there in a while....

Kevin Bastyr

Oct 17, 2012, 11:51:07 AM10/17/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Okay, I felt guilty and integrated the ideas from the preexisting page: http://wiki.milwaukeemakerspace.org/miscellaneous/newbuildingideas

into the new page: http://wiki.milwaukeemakerspace.org/miscellaneous/newbuildingspaceplan

Please add your own ideas to the wiki page!

-Kevin

Brent Bublitz

Oct 17, 2012, 11:54:22 AM10/17/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Tom mentioned a brief open house for members to poke around on
Thursday after the closing. Do we have a definish-time that would
happen?

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 10:47 AM, Shane <Imp...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Tom Gralewicz

Oct 17, 2012, 11:56:26 AM10/17/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Don't worry about size or location now, just describe the area and we will work on the size and location in steps 2 and 3

Tom Gralewicz

Oct 17, 2012, 11:57:08 AM10/17/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
I'm thinking about 7pm, after dinner.

Tom Gralewicz

Oct 17, 2012, 12:03:22 PM10/17/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
I haven't heard anything, but I think the self serve fridge is working fine.

Tom

Kevin Crowley

Oct 17, 2012, 12:26:10 PM10/17/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
rolling stainless sink units are used all the time in catering.  Assuming appropriate hoses and nearby floor drains.

As for organizing I would look at an even more luddite model for  trying things out: color coded 1"x1" = 1'x1' pieces of paper representing the type of area.  When deciding space needs in a group that sort of visual representation can be quite helpful.  When someone has an idea just snap a picture for the record and then try another one.  Always  remember that many area can be multipurpose.  Don't make a lightweight piece of equipment be an anchor for a space that will only be used once a month.  Leave ample multipurpose area within each major area and don't be afraid to keep things portable.

Just my 2 cents.

Elizabeth

Oct 17, 2012, 1:11:14 PM10/17/12
to milwaukeemakerspace
I don't think I have the ability to write in the Wiki, but I would
like to add these areas:

First aid kit / emergency eyewash station
Cleaning supplies cabinet or closet
Mop Sink
Recycling collection
Garbage collection (dumpster?)
Lawnmower / hedge clipper storage?

-Elizabeth

Eric Berna

Oct 17, 2012, 1:16:45 PM10/17/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Meeting space
Conference room
Classroom

I think these are all euphemisms for the same space.

Eric Berna
iOS Developer

Have Blue

Oct 17, 2012, 1:19:48 PM10/17/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
I don't have the ability to write in the wiki either, but I'd throw in a
forge/blacksmithing area (probably right between the welding and casting
areas). Also, if there's going to be a paint booth, the ability to do
powdercoating (with a powdercoating oven) would be nice.

My dream space would also have a spot for doing metal finishing -
deburring/tumbling, buffing/polishing, anodizing and plating.

Eric Berna

Oct 17, 2012, 1:27:19 PM10/17/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Here's what I was expecting when I voted for the board:

The general membership will supply (and already is supplying) ideas, requests, and desires. The board will develop a plan to the best of their ability to meet the membership's requests. If any parts of the plan turn out to be controversial we'll have a general vote. Then each member will contribute what they are willing and able to carry out that plan.

Eric Berna
iOS Developer

Pete Prodoehl

Oct 17, 2012, 1:27:59 PM10/17/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

+1 to powder coating and anodizing!

I do not know how to do these things, but I would like to learn. (And if I can successfully do so, it may mean I throw some money at it.)

Pete

Have Blue

Oct 17, 2012, 1:38:32 PM10/17/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
If we had equipment and facilities for powdercoating and anodizing, I'm certain we could get Frankie to do classes on them - that's who I learned it from!

Joseph Bozarth

Oct 17, 2012, 1:39:52 PM10/17/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Did anyone mention anything about a place for the forge/kiln and things yet?

Joseph Bozarth

Have Blue

Oct 17, 2012, 1:43:22 PM10/17/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Casting area is already on the 'must-have' list, I believe.

Also, once the board gets to the point of wrangling a floor plan, Techshop has theirs here:  http://www.techshop.ws/Floor_Plan.html

Kevin Crowley

Oct 17, 2012, 2:49:06 PM10/17/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Anodizing is fun!!!!!!!

Frankie Flood

Oct 17, 2012, 2:55:26 PM10/17/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Pete,

If you ever want to to anodize, just let me know. We could get together at the Digital Craft Research Lab and I could show you my set-up and you could play around with the process. My students just got finished with a run of samples and they look amazing. I'll try to post some up on my blog.

Also, I teach workshops on anodizing all over the country so I would be more than willing to teach one if there is interest. I can travel with my setup too.

Shane

Oct 17, 2012, 3:02:32 PM10/17/12
to milwaukeemakerspace
Pete's not the only one interested. :-)

I'd certainly attend a class....

Kevin Bastyr

Oct 17, 2012, 3:09:31 PM10/17/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
All these ideas were added to the Wiki!

http://wiki.milwaukeemakerspace.org/miscellaneous/newbuildingspaceplan

Is Raster asleep or something - isn't this his turf?

Kevin Crowley

Oct 17, 2012, 3:12:49 PM10/17/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Pete posted that a few hours ago.

Matt Wittmann

Oct 17, 2012, 3:19:17 PM10/17/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Myself aswell

Have Blue

Oct 17, 2012, 3:33:45 PM10/17/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, it's like the guy has a day job or some other lame excuse...

Other suggestions for the building:
- A proper library - lots of info is now on the interwebs, but O'Reilly books and texts from Lindsay Publishing could use at least a bookcase or two.
- Some sort of kid-friendly area where parents can put their short people to play with a bin full of Legos and be safe from pencil sharpener shrapnel, out of control robots, etc.  Easily expanded to be a spot where mechanically inclined wives can dump their non-maker husbands.
- Combat robot arena (okay, I'm kidding.  Well, half kidding)
- An area with fume hoods?  The anodizing and metal plating wouldn't necessarily require it, but if somebody wants to do chemistry experiments, it would be a good idea.

Shane

Oct 17, 2012, 3:48:26 PM10/17/12
to milwaukeemakerspace
I floated the idea of building a walled table for 'bot testing
purposes, with a couple of dedicated computers next to it. I see no
reason why we couldn't make it a mini arena....

If people get on board with the Packt Publishing book review bit, a
library would be most welcome. I've been looking into making custom
bookshelves and, assuming we can get some half-decent wood, I think it
would be an awesome project for me to tackle.

On Oct 17, 2:33 pm, Have Blue <haveb...@airsoldier.com> wrote:
> Yeah, it's like the guy has a day job or some other lame excuse...
>
> Other suggestions for the building:
> - A proper library - lots of info is now on the interwebs, but O'Reilly
> books and texts from Lindsay Publishing could use at least a bookcase or
> two.
> - Some sort of kid-friendly area where parents can put their short
> people to play with a bin full of Legos and be safe from pencil
> sharpener shrapnel, out of control robots, etc.  Easily expanded to be a
> spot where mechanically inclined wives can dump their non-maker husbands.
> - Combat robot arena (okay, I'm kidding.  Well, half kidding)
> - An area with fume hoods?  The anodizing and metal plating wouldn't
> necessarily require it, but if somebody wants to do chemistry
> experiments, it would be a good idea.
>
> On 10/17/2012 2:09 PM, Kevin Bastyr wrote:
>

> > All these ideas were added to the Wiki!
>
> >http://wiki.milwaukeemakerspace.org/miscellaneous/newbuildingspaceplan
>
> > Is Raster asleep or something - isn't this his turf?
>
> > On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 2:02 PM, Shane <Impe...@hotmail.com
> > <mailto:Impe...@hotmail.com>> wrote:
>
> >     Pete's not the only one interested.  :-)
>
> >     I'd certainly attend a class....
>
> >     On Oct 17, 1:55 pm, Frankie Flood <frankiefl...@gmail.com

Pete Prodoehl

Oct 17, 2012, 4:01:07 PM10/17/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

That reminds me... we should get the first batch of O'Reilly books in a week or so.

Reminder that we need to review them!

I'll post another msg with the new offerings soon.

Pete

Jerry [HM]

Oct 17, 2012, 5:04:09 PM10/17/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Two thumbs up for learning how to anodize ‘DIY’..  J

neeboy

Oct 17, 2012, 6:16:21 PM10/17/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to have an area in the "clean" North side of the building where we could have some tables and chairs for a workspace that is "I'm sitting here working on something....but if I leave, all my project/tools/paraphernalia have to go with me."  In other words, a non-cluttered area where it's easy to sit down and work on something non-messy without having to clear away a lot of un-attended stuff before doing so.
-MattN

Ron Bean

Oct 17, 2012, 6:20:14 PM10/17/12
Tom Gralewicz <m...@ieee.org> writes:

>> Tom mentioned a brief open house for members to poke around on
>> Thursday after the closing. Do we have a definish-time that would
>> happen?

>I'm thinking about 7pm, after dinner.

Unfortunately, I can't be there.

Is there another time I could see the place?
No real hurry, but I'm curious...

Matt Wittmann

Oct 17, 2012, 6:23:08 PM10/17/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Is anybody interested in welding class of some sort

Joseph Bozarth

Oct 17, 2012, 7:28:53 PM10/17/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
I am

Eric Berna

Oct 17, 2012, 8:21:11 PM10/17/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
I am.

Eric Berna
iOS Developer

Pete Prodoehl

Oct 17, 2012, 10:28:29 PM10/17/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
So we'll need a table that raises up on one end so anything left on it can slide into a trash bin at the other end when it detects no one in the vicinity for a set time.

You step away for 10 minutes, and your project disappears, replaced by a clean table!

Pete

Shane

Oct 17, 2012, 10:32:53 PM10/17/12
to milwaukeemakerspace
Anyone remember the spinning shredder in the middle of the table in
the Ultra House on that Simpsons Treehouse of Horror episode?

Jim Rawson

Oct 18, 2012, 10:17:03 AM10/18/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

I get disoriented when North is down, so I flipped this.
Lennox North.JPG

Pete Prodoehl

Oct 18, 2012, 10:38:00 AM10/18/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Jim, I apologize for disorienting you...

The files on the wiki have been updated.

Pete

On 10/18/12 9:17 AM, Jim Rawson wrote:

I get disoriented when North is down, so I flipped this. --

Have Blue

Oct 18, 2012, 10:42:43 AM10/18/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Do I recall somebody CAD-ifying the building blueprint?  I'm not even sure how big the building is.

Pete Prodoehl

Oct 18, 2012, 11:08:40 AM10/18/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

CADing was mentioned at one point... was it MattN?

We do have these photos for now:

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/raster/sets/72157631142018136/

Pete

Jason Hilleshiem

Oct 18, 2012, 11:35:08 AM10/18/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Are we going to have a Lab in the new space for petri dish type stuff? Is there any interest for this?

-Jason H

Have Blue

Oct 18, 2012, 11:46:57 AM10/18/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
What, so we can grow new and improved strains of Makerspace Filth [tm]?  :-)

Vishal Rana

Oct 18, 2012, 11:49:44 AM10/18/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
It also would be nice to have a makerspace distillery and/or brewery. We can recycle the yeast using the petri dishes!!

Vishal

Pete Prodoehl

Oct 18, 2012, 12:06:25 PM10/18/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

On the list!

  " A lab space for bio-hacking… microscopes and such."

  http://wiki.milwaukeemakerspace.org/miscellaneous/newbuildingspaceplan

Pete

Pete Prodoehl

Oct 18, 2012, 12:07:27 PM10/18/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

One of our goals has been to "grow" our Membership.

This is what we were referring to.

Jerry [HM]

Oct 18, 2012, 12:23:49 PM10/18/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Seconded on a Maker brewery ‘space’.. (always wanted to give that a try)  J

Oct 18, 2012, 12:26:53 PM10/18/12
to milwaukeemakerspace
I've always wanted to get into home-brewing too.

(It's like baking, but with funner results.)

My only question then is: what are the restrictions on that sort of
thing?

Will we ultimately need any sort of license? (I'm guessing that if
the quantities are small, we can probably just do it, but we'll likely
have to keep track to keep from having the health inspector/ATF try to
regulate us)

On Oct 18, 11:23 am, "Jerry [HM]" <whispers...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Seconded on a Maker brewery 'space'.. (always wanted to give that a try)  J

Vishal Rana

Oct 18, 2012, 12:28:43 PM10/18/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
I don't envision any problems as long as we don't sell anything. I believe PS:one has a similar setup at their space.

Vishal

Kevin Crowley

Oct 18, 2012, 12:55:43 PM10/18/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Any individual can brew 100 gallons per year.  You can not, sell it or be compensated for the brewing costs but you can give it away.  You may rent the equipment. but can not pay someone else to brew it for you.

Matt Wittmann

Oct 18, 2012, 1:21:57 PM10/18/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

100 gallons it is

Shane

Oct 18, 2012, 1:33:35 PM10/18/12
to milwaukeemakerspace
Right. I was aware of that, just wasn't sure if different rules would
apply since we're a group and all.

On Oct 18, 12:21 pm, Matt Wittmann <mfrankwi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 100 gallons it is
> On Oct 18, 2012 11:55 AM, "Kevin Crowley" <caoha...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Any individual can brew 100 gallons per year.  You can not, sell it or be
> > compensated for the brewing costs but you can give it away.  You may rent
> > the equipment. but can not pay someone else to brew it for you.

Pete Prodoehl

Oct 18, 2012, 1:41:11 PM10/18/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

100 gallons *per member* then, right?

So if we have 60 members right now, that's 6,000 gallons!

Pete

Matt Wittmann

Oct 18, 2012, 1:43:27 PM10/18/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Could be some fun.

Kevin Crowley

Oct 18, 2012, 1:55:35 PM10/18/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
You just have to be able to say, with a straight face, that the beer in the fridge is owned by individuals and not owned by the space and that no funds FOR THE BEER has been charged or given.

Equipment may be bought sold or rented.  Supplies may be sold and purchased.

As an example the space could get a good deal on beer bottles, malt,hops or... and then sell them fo,r a profit or not, to individual brewers.
The space could not barter for beer for the supplies or buy the beer.

Joseph Bozarth

Oct 18, 2012, 2:27:52 PM10/18/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
I wonder how hard it is to make other alcohols besides beer (also how legal it is). Maybe we could try our hand at some Maker Malbec (or some other type of wine.)

Tom Gralewicz

Oct 18, 2012, 2:35:36 PM10/18/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Wine follows similar rules to the beer, I have done it in the past (Dandylion wine anyone?)  I don't know about distilling, although my dad took a batch of wine with a bad after taste and distilled in a high school science room, all he did was concentrate the after taste :-)

Tom

Kevin Bastyr

Oct 18, 2012, 2:39:17 PM10/18/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Unfortunately, home distilling is illegal in every state.  Even home distilling for personal use us illegal...

Have Blue

Oct 18, 2012, 2:44:02 PM10/18/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
That's how the Duke boys got busted - they had been illegally transporting Uncle Jesse's moonshine in the General Lee.  Who says TV doesn't educate?

Ron Bean

Oct 18, 2012, 2:48:42 PM10/18/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
>Unfortunately, home distilling is illegal in every state. Even home
>distilling for personal use us illegal...

Federal law theoretically allows it, with taxes and paperwork.
Consensus seems to be that it's impractical.

Although you could probably do it in secret, if you can keep from
bragging about it...

(BTW distilling alcohol for fuel is legal)

Google "home distilling laws us" for more

Jim Rawson

Oct 18, 2012, 2:49:50 PM10/18/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
[sec. 139.04, Wis. Stats.]

Kevin Crowley

Oct 18, 2012, 3:12:08 PM10/18/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Wine has the same limits as beer and distilling, even for personal consumption, is still illegal.  However, winter wine is legal. Winter wine is made by freezing wine and removing the the ice as it freezes. The ice is close to pure water.so you can end up can up with a liquid of about 40 proof in a conventional freezer.  If you start talking low level cryogenics, i.e. dry ice 60-70 proof is not hard to do I have not tried it with liquid nitrogen.

On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 1:27 PM, Joseph Bozarth <boz...@gmail.com> wrote:

Elizabeth

Oct 18, 2012, 7:23:47 PM10/18/12
to milwaukeemakerspace
I have several friends who have had success with mead, melolmel,
cyser, etc, etc. And yes, distilling is illegal, unless you register
your still with the government, I think. They want to watch you.

-Elizabeth

Mrspeed700

Oct 18, 2012, 9:48:37 PM10/18/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
This idea sounds like it needs to rent one of the cells, to create a chilling room for fermentation + the angles share.
Rich

Have Blue

Oct 18, 2012, 11:45:18 PM10/18/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
And there's several chiller units just on the other side of the wall!  Vault tenants just have to move them themselves...

Was excited about the building, but after seeing it, I am now downright stoked and really excited for the future of the space.

Jim Rawson

Oct 19, 2012, 9:31:57 PM10/19/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
“Five Doors II”, painted in 1967 by Gerhard Richter, sold at auction on Oct. 11 for a paltry $3.5 million. Pete's photo has way more doors, could it be worth $11,200.00.00

5 Doors.JPG
16 Doors.JPG

Have Blue

Oct 19, 2012, 9:39:13 PM10/19/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
If we could rent the vaults for that much, we could easily repair the roof!

On 10/19/2012 8:31 PM, Jim Rawson wrote:
�Five Doors II�, painted in 1967 by Gerhard Richter, sold at auction on Oct. 11 for a paltry $3.5 million. Pete's photo has way more doors, could it be worth $11,200.00.00

--
�
�

Ed Hagopian

Oct 20, 2012, 3:28:22 PM10/20/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
I will pay a shiny coin to get in on some welding action... Just can't be on Tue or Wed.

Kevin Bastyr

Oct 22, 2012, 1:14:23 PM10/22/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to the many folks who have added ideas to the wiki page:

http://wiki.milwaukeemakerspace.org/miscellaneous/newbuildingspaceplan

Please do keep 'em coming.

-Kevin

On Sat, Oct 20, 2012 at 2:28 PM, Ed Hagopian <edhag...@gmail.com> wrote:
I will pay a shiny coin to get in on some welding action... Just can't be on Tue or Wed.

Pete Prodoehl

Oct 22, 2012, 1:24:00 PM10/22/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

I saw "wood storage" and "metal storage" but also added "materials storage" for things like: acrylic, paper, cardboard, leather, etc.

Note that those are all laser-friendly materials... not sure how we should organize. I mean, there could be 3mm Baltic Birch in this list... but would that go in the "wood storage" instead?

It makes sense to separate materials from tools from other consumables. Would we put all materials in a common place, or store each near what it is used for? Wood in the woodshop? Metal in the welding area or machine shop? Right now I'd lean towards one area for all materials. It might help to better regulate how much materials we are actually storing.

Pete

Shane

Oct 22, 2012, 1:31:21 PM10/22/12
to milwaukeemakerspace
I'm actually in favor of keeping materials stored near the machines
that use them.

I seriously doubt that I, or anyone else for that matter, will use the
Baltic Birch or acrylic for anything other than laser cutting.

Likewise, foam insulation would be used with the CNC router.

This might also help regulate things which should NOT be used with a
given machine. If it isn't stored near the equipment, then you should
ask if it can be used.

On Oct 22, 12:23 pm, Pete Prodoehl <ras...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I saw "wood storage" and "metal storage" but also added "materials storage" for things like: acrylic, paper, cardboard, leather, etc.
> Note that those are all laser-friendly materials... not sure how we should organize. I mean, there could be 3mm Baltic Birch in this list... but would that go in the "wood storage" instead?
> It makes sense to separate materials from tools from other consumables. Would we put all materials in a common place, or store each near what it is used for? Wood in the woodshop? Metal in the welding area or machine shop? Right now I'd lean towards one area for all materials. It might help to better regulate how much materials we are actually storing.
> PeteOn 10/22/12 12:14 PM, Kevin Bastyr wrote:
>
> Thanks to the many folks who have added ideas to the wiki page:http://wiki.milwaukeemakerspace.org/miscellaneous/newbuildingspaceplan
> Please do keep 'em coming.
> -KevinOn Sat, Oct 20, 2012 at 2:28 PM, Ed Hagopian<edhag...@gmail.com>wrote:I will pay a shiny coin to get in on some welding action... Just can't be on Tue or Wed.
> --

Jerry [HM]

Oct 22, 2012, 1:32:58 PM10/22/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

I think one area for ‘all’ is the best plan.. (keeps tings tidy, neat and still organized with a sole function)..

Inside that ‘space/area’ you could group as you see fit.. separating/group ‘per machine’ or usage..

Be nice to go look in the laser cutter material/resource sections for old scrap or usable stock.. instead of cluttering up the laser cutter area itself.. (also things in the room could be ‘fair’ game for use.. and not mixed up with someones needed stock left by the cutter waiting for an open time?)

Oct 22, 2012, 2:39:42 PM10/22/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

What machine would paper go near? Or cardboard, matte board, leather, felt, etc.

I figured putting it all in one place would allow members to "shop" (as it were) for the range of all materials they might use.

You might use paper for a project that has nothing to do with the laser cutter... same with felt, foam, leather, heck, even wood and acrylic.

Pete

neeboy

Shane

Oct 22, 2012, 3:10:57 PM10/22/12
to milwaukeemakerspace
If we decide to have a completely separate area for the materials, it
would be easy enough to make signage stating which machine those
materials will work with....

Pete Prodoehl

Oct 22, 2012, 3:15:06 PM10/22/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Can you give me a list of which tool I can use on wood?

I mean, besides the cnc router, table saw, laser cutter, printing press, hammer, Sharpie marker, angle grinder, drill press, etc...

Pete

Shane

Oct 22, 2012, 3:16:46 PM10/22/12
to milwaukeemakerspace
No.

On Oct 22, 2:14 pm, Pete Prodoehl <ras...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can you give me a list of which tool I can use on wood?
> I mean, besides the cnc router, table saw, laser cutter, printing press, hammer, Sharpie marker, angle grinder, drill press, etc...

Brent Bublitz

Oct 22, 2012, 3:32:01 PM10/22/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
I'm good with keeping a single materials area. It might help keep the
materials clean as well. We could grab one of the larger vaults
perhaps.