? Intetested ?

Matt Wittmann

Nov 18, 2012, 5:03:00 PM11/18/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

milwaukeemakerspace@googleg

Kevin Crowley

Nov 18, 2012, 5:19:19 PM11/18/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
IN????

On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 4:03 PM, Matt Wittmann <mfran...@gmail.com> wrote:

milwaukeemakerspace@googleg

--

Matt Wittmann

Nov 18, 2012, 5:20:41 PM11/18/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

neeboy

Nov 18, 2012, 6:26:06 PM11/18/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
do it!

Pete Prodoehl

Nov 18, 2012, 6:32:10 PM11/18/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
I saw that too, but unless we can hack the living shit out of it (possible) or it's an actual took that helps you make something (doubtful) or it's a very unique item that would be a draw for the space... I'm not sure we should have it.

And I happen to love playing pool... but honestly, if I'm at the space, I'd rather hack on some project and be creative than just shoot pool. (Just my 2 cents.)

Pete

neeboy

Nov 18, 2012, 6:49:35 PM11/18/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
I see your point Pete...but since you come from a farther distance, I think you usually have something specific you want to work on, as opposed to just "dropping by." I still say doooo it :)

Matt Czapar

Nov 18, 2012, 7:06:41 PM11/18/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
I say do it.  Waiting on a 3d print?  Pool.  Waiting for the kiln to melt out the wax for a casting?  Pool.  Talking about making beers?  Pool.  Brainstorming?  POOL.

Kevin Bastyr

Nov 18, 2012, 7:11:28 PM11/18/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Yup, my personal opinion is POOL!  But, it should have an "owner," and if it goes unused after a few months, it needs to be removed by the owner...

Sent from my mobile telephone device.

Matt Wittmann

Nov 18, 2012, 7:18:45 PM11/18/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Pool table unused. Thats funny.

Kevin Bastyr

Nov 18, 2012, 7:35:05 PM11/18/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Well, if it has terrible bumpers, or felt with holes and no one wants to pay to fix it, then no one will use it.

Anyway, the biggest fear seems to be that we will fill the whole space with useless junk, rather than useful junk.

Jim Rawson

Nov 18, 2012, 7:36:45 PM11/18/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
It might be something fun for kids to play with while their parents are making stuff.

jason gessner

Nov 18, 2012, 7:40:36 PM11/18/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
kids should be building robots from legos, not playing billiards!

On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 6:36 PM, Jim Rawson <taxi...@gmail.com> wrote:
It might be something fun for kids to play with while their parents are making stuff.

-jason

Jim Rawson

Nov 18, 2012, 7:43:02 PM11/18/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

I would normally say cut it up for the wood, but there isn't much usable wood on a pool table.

Pete Prodoehl

Nov 18, 2012, 8:41:24 PM11/18/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Jim, I have a few trees I was going to bring to the space... I thought we could do something cool with them, but if you want, you can just cut them up for the wood.

Pete

Scott Fradkin

Nov 18, 2012, 8:58:17 PM11/18/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Billiards is good for learning physics, though.  Maybe a billiard playing robot built out of Legos?

Kevin Crowley

Nov 18, 2012, 9:50:32 PM11/18/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Harold:
Well, either you're closing your eyes
To a situation you do now wish to acknowledge
Or you are not aware of the caliber of disaster indicated
By the presence of a pool table in your community.
Ya got trouble, my friend, right here,
I say, trouble right here in River City.
Why sure I'm a billiard player,
Certainly mighty proud I say
I'm always mighty proud to say it.
I consider that the hours I spend
With a cue in my hand are golden.
Help you cultivate horse sense
And a cool head and a keen eye.
Never take and try to give
An iron-clad leave to yourself
From a three-reail billiard shot?
But just as I say,
It takes judgement, brains, and maturity to score
In a balkline game,
I say that any boob kin take
And shove a ball in a pocket.
And they call that sloth.
The first big step on the road
To the depths of deg-ra-Day--
I say, first, medicinal wine from a teaspoon,
Then beer from a bottle.
An' the next thing ya know,
Your son is playin' for money
In a pinch-back suit.
And list'nin to some big out-a-town Jasper
Hearin' him tell about horse-race gamblin'.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no!
But a race where they set down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey'boy
Sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil?
Well, I should say.
Friends, lemme tell you what I mean.
Ya got one, two, three, four, five, six pockets in a table.
Pockets that mark the diff'rence
Between a gentlemen and a bum,
With a capital "B,"
And that rhymes with "P" and that stands for pool!
And all week long your River City
Youth'll be frittern away,
I say your young men'll be frittern!
Frittern away their noontime, suppertime, choretime too!
Get the ball in the pocket,
Never mind gittin' Dandelions pulled
Or the screen door patched or the beefsteak pounded.
Never mind pumpin' any water
'Til your parents are caught with the Cistern empty
On a Saturday night and that's trouble,
Oh, yes we got lots and lots a' trouble.
I'm thinkin' of the kids in the knickerbockers,
Shirt-tail young ones, peekin' in the pool
Hall window after school, look, folks!
Right here in River City.
Trouble with a capital "T"
And that rhymes with "P" and that stands for pool!
Now, I know all you folks are the right kinda parents.
I'm gonna be perfectly frank.
Would ya like to know what kinda conversation goes
On while they're loafin' around that Hall?
They're tryin' out Bevo, tryin' out cubebs,
Tryin' out Tailor Mades like Cigarette Feends!
And braggin' all about
How they're gonna cover up a tell-tale breath with Sen-Sen.
One fine night, they leave the pool hall,
Headin' for the dance at the Arm'ry!
Libertine men and Scarlet women!
And Rag-time, shameless music
That'll grab your son and your daughter
With the arms of a jungle animal instink!
Mass-staria!
Friends, the idle brain is the devil's playground!

People:
Trouble, oh we got trouble,
Right here in River City!
With a capital "T"
That rhymes with "P"Harold:
Well, either you're closing your eyes
To a situation you do now wish to acknowledge
Or you are not aware of the caliber of disaster indicatedHarold:
Well, either you're closing your eyes
To a situation you do now wish to acknowledge
Or you are not aware of the caliber of disaster indicated
By the presence of a pool table in your community.
Ya got trouble, my friend, right here,
I say, trouble right here in River City.
Why sure I'm a billiard player,
Certainly mighty proud I say
I'm always mighty proud to say it.
I consider that the hours I spend
With a cue in my hand are golden.
Help you cultivate horse sense
And a cool head and a keen eye.
Never take and try to give
An iron-clad leave to yourself
From a three-reail billiard shot?
But just as I say,
It takes judgement, brains, and maturity to score
In a balkline game,
I say that any boob kin take
And shove a ball in a pocket.
And they call that sloth.
The first big step on the road
To the depths of deg-ra-Day--
I say, first, medicinal wine from a teaspoon,
Then beer from a bottle.
An' the next thing ya know,
Your son is playin' for money
In a pinch-back suit.
And list'nin to some big out-a-town Jasper
Hearin' him tell about horse-race gamblin'.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no!
But a race where they set down right on the horse! Harold:
Well, either you're closing your eyes
To a situation you do now wish to acknowledge
Or you are not aware of the caliber of disaster indicated
By the presence of a pool table in your community.
Ya got trouble, my friend, right here,
I say, trouble right here in River City.
Why sure I'm a billiard player,
Certainly mighty proud I say
I'm always mighty proud to say it. Harold:
Well, either you're closing your eyes
To a situation you do now wish to acknowledge
Or you are not aware of the caliber of disaster indicated
By the presence of a pool table in your community.
Ya got trouble, my friend, right here,
I say, trouble right here in River City.
Why sure I'm a billiard player,
Certainly mighty proud I say
I'm always mighty proud to say it.
I consider that the hours I spend
With a cue in my hand are golden.
Help you cultivate horse sense
And a cool head and a keen eye.
Never take and try to give
An iron-clad leave to yourself
From a three-reail billiard shot?
[...]
From a three-reail billiard shot?
[...]
That'll grab your son and your daughterHarold:
Well, either you're closing your eyes
To a situation you do now wish to acknowledge
Or you are not aware of the caliber of disaster indicated
By the presence of a pool table in your community.
Ya got trouble, my friend, right here,
I say, trouble right here in River City.
Why sure I'm a billiard player,
Certainly mighty proud I say
I'm always mighty proud to say it.
I consider that the hours I spend
With a cue in my hand are golden.
Help you cultivate horse sense
And a cool head and a keen eye.
Never take and try to give
An iron-clad leave to yourself
From a three-reail billiard shot?
[...]

That stands for pool.
We've surely got trouble!
Right here in River City, Harold:
Well, either you're closing your eyes
To a situation you do now wish to acknowledge
Or you are not aware of the caliber of disaster indicated
By the presence of a pool table in your community.
Ya got trouble, my friend, right here,
I say, trouble right here in River City.
Why sure I'm a billiard player,
Certainly mighty proud I say
I'm always mighty proud to say it.
I consider that the hours I spend
With a cue in my hand are golden.
Help you cultivate horse sense
And a cool head and a keen eye.
Never take and try to give
An iron-clad leave to yourself
From a three-reail billiard shot?
[...]
From a three-reail billiard shot?
[...]

Right here!
Gotta figger out a wayHarold:
Well, either you're closing your eyes
To a situation you do now wish to acknowledge
Or you are not aware of the caliber of disaster indicated
By the presence of a pool table in your community.
Ya got trouble, my friend, right here,
I say, trouble right here in River City.
Why sure I'm a billiard player,
Certainly mighty proud I say
I'm always mighty proud to say it.
I consider that the hours I spend
With a cue in my hand are golden.
Help you cultivate horse sense
And a cool head and a keen eye.
Never take and try to give
An iron-clad leave to yourself
From a three-reail billiard shot?
But just as I say,
It takes judgement, brains, and maturity to score
In a balkline game,
I say that any boob kin take
And shove a ball in a pocket.
And they call that sloth.
The first big step on the road
To the depths of deg-ra-Day--
I say, first, medicinal wine from a teaspoon,
Then beer from a bottle.
An' the next thing ya know,
Your son is playin' for moneyHarold:
Well, either you're closing your eyes
To a situation you do now wish to acknowledge
Or you are not aware of the caliber of disaster indicated
By the presence of a pool table in your community.
Ya got trouble, my friend, right here,
I say, trouble right here in River City.
Why sure I'm a billiard player,
Certainly mighty proud I say
I'm always mighty proud to say it.
I consider that the hours I spend
With a cue in my hand are golden.
Help you cultivate horse sense
And a cool head and a keen eye.
Never take and try to give
An iron-clad leave to yourself
From a three-reail billiard shot?
[...]
Between a gentlemen and a bum, Harold:
Well, either you're closing your eyes
To a situation you do now wish to acknowledge
Or you are not aware of the caliber of disaster indicated
By the presence of a pool table in your community.
Ya got trouble, my friend, right here,
I say, trouble right here in River City.
Why sure I'm a billiard player,
Certainly mighty proud I say
I'm always mighty proud to say it.
I consider that the hours I spend
With a cue in my hand are golden.
Help you cultivate horse sense
And a cool head and a keen eye.
Never take and try to give
An iron-clad leave to yourself
From a three-reail billiard shot?
[...]

To keep the young ones moral after school!Harold:
Well, either you're closing your eyes
To a situation you do now wish to acknowledge
Or you are not aware of the caliber of disaster indicated
By the presence of a pool table in your community.
Ya got trouble, my friend, right here,
I say, trouble right here in River City.
Why sure I'm a billiard player,
Certainly mighty proud I say
I'm always mighty proud to say it.
I consider that the hours I spend
With a cue in my hand are golden.
Help you cultivate horse sense
And a cool head and a keen eye.
Never take and try to give
An iron-clad leave to yourself
From a three-reail billiard shot?
[...]
Oh, yes we got lots and lots a' trouble.Harold:
Well, either you're closing your eyes
To a situation you do now wish to acknowledge
Or you are not aware of the caliber of disaster indicated
By the presence of a pool table in your community.
Ya got trouble, my friend, right here,
I say, trouble right here in River City.
Why sure I'm a billiard player,
Certainly mighty proud I say
I'm always mighty proud to say it.
I consider that the hours I spend
With a cue in my hand are golden.
Help you cultivate horse sense
And a cool head and a keen eye.
Never take and try to give
An iron-clad leave to yourself
From a three-reail billiard shot?
[...]
From a three-reail billiard shot?
[...]
From a three-reail billiard shot?
[...]
With the arms of a jungle animal instink!Harold:
Well, either you're closing your eyes
To a situation you do now wish to acknowledge
Or you are not aware of the caliber of disaster indicated
By the presence of a pool table in your community.
Ya got trouble, my friend, right here,
I say, trouble right here in River City.
Why sure I'm a billiard player,
Certainly mighty proud I say
I'm always mighty proud to say it.
I consider that the hours I spend
With a cue in my hand are golden.
Help you cultivate horse sense
And a cool head and a keen eye.
Never take and try to give
An iron-clad leave to yourself
From a three-reail billiard shot?
[...]

Right here!Harold:
Well, either you're closing your eyes
To a situation you do now wish to acknowledge
Or you are not aware of the caliber of disaster indicated
By the presence of a pool table in your community.
Ya got trouble, my friend, right here,
I say, trouble right here in River City.
Why sure I'm a billiard player,
Certainly mighty proud I say
I'm always mighty proud to say it.
I consider that the hours I spend
With a cue in my hand are golden.
Help you cultivate horse sense
And a cool head and a keen eye.
Never take and try to give
An iron-clad leave to yourself
From a three-reail billiard shot?
[...]
I say, trouble right here in River City. Harold:
Well, either you're closing your eyes
To a situation you do now wish to acknowledge
Or you are not aware of the caliber of disaster indicated
By the presence of a pool table in your community.
Ya got trouble, my friend, right here,
I say, trouble right here in River City.
Why sure I'm a billiard player,
Certainly mighty proud I say
I'm always mighty proud to say it.
I consider that the hours I spend
With a cue in my hand are golden.
Help you cultivate horse sense
And a cool head and a keen eye.
Never take and try to give
An iron-clad leave to yourself
From a three-reail billiard shot?
[...]
From a three-reail billiard shot?
[...]
Headin' for the dance at the Arm'ry!Harold:
Well, either you're closing your eyes
To a situation you do now wish to acknowledge
Or you are not aware of the caliber of disaster indicated
By the presence of a pool table in your community.
Ya got trouble, my friend, right here,
I say, trouble right here in River City.
Why sure I'm a billiard player,
Certainly mighty proud I say
I'm always mighty proud to say it.
I consider that the hours I spend
With a cue in my hand are golden.
Help you cultivate horse sense
And a cool head and a keen eye.
Never take and try to give
An iron-clad leave to yourself
From a three-reail billiard shot?
[...]
From a three-reail billiard shot?
[...]
From a three-reail billiard shot?
[...]
And braggin' all aboutHarold:
Well, either you're closing your eyes
To a situation you do now wish to acknowledge
Or you are not aware of the caliber of disaster indicated
By the presence of a pool table in your community.
Ya got trouble, my friend, right here,
I say, trouble right here in River City.
Why sure I'm a billiard player,
Certainly mighty proud I say
I'm always mighty proud to say it.
I consider that the hours I spend
With a cue in my hand are golden.
Help you cultivate horse sense
And a cool head and a keen eye.
Never take and try to give
An iron-clad leave to yourself
From a three-reail billiard shot?
[...]
Ya got trouble, my friend, right here, Harold:
Well, either you're closing your eyes
To a situation you do now wish to acknowledge
Or you are not aware of the caliber of disaster indicated
By the presence of a pool table in your community.
Ya got trouble, my friend, right here,
I say, trouble right here in River City.
Why sure I'm a billiard player,
Certainly mighty proud I say
I'm always mighty proud to say it.
I consider that the hours I spend
With a cue in my hand are golden.
Help you cultivate horse sense
And a cool head and a keen eye.
Never take and try to give
An iron-clad leave to yourself
From a three-reail billiard shot?
[...]

From a three-reail billiard shot?
[...]

Trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble...

Harold:
Mothers of River City!
Heed the warning before it's too late!
Watch for the tell-tale sign of corruption!
The moment your son leaves the house,
Does he rebuckle his knickerbockers below the knee?
Is there a nicotine stain on his index finger?
A dime novel hidden in the corn crib?
Is he starting to memorize jokes from Capt.
Billy's Whiz Bang?
Are certain words creeping into his conversation?
Words like 'swell?"
And 'so's your old man?"
Well, if so my friends,
Ya got trouble,
Right here in River city!
With a capital "T"
And that rhymes with "P"
And that stands for Pool.
We've surely got trouble!
Right here in River City!
Remember the Maine, Plymouth Rock and the Golden Rule!
Oh, we've got trouble.
We're in terrible, terrible trouble.
That game with the fifteen numbered balls is a devil's tool!
Oh yes we got trouble, trouble, trouble!
With a "T"! Gotta rhyme it with "P"!
And that stands for Pool!!!
[...]

From a three-reail billiard shot?
[...]

From a three-reail billiard shot?
[...]

Certainly mighty proud I say Harold:
Well, either you're closing your eyes
To a situation you do now wish to acknowledge
Or you are not aware of the caliber of disaster indicated
By the presence of a pool table in your community.
Ya got trouble, my friend, right here,
I say, trouble right here in River City.
Why sure I'm a billiard player,
Certainly mighty proud I say
I'm always mighty proud to say it.
I consider that the hours I spend
With a cue in my hand are golden.
Help you cultivate horse sense
And a cool head and a keen eye.
Never take and try to give
An iron-clad leave to yourself
From a three-reail billiard shot?
[...]

From a three-reail billiard shot?
[...]

Is there a nicotine stain on his index finger?Harold:
Well, either you're closing your eyes
To a situation you do now wish to acknowledge
Or you are not aware of the caliber of disaster indicated
By the presence of a pool table in your community.
Ya got trouble, my friend, right here,
I say, trouble right here in River City.
Why sure I'm a billiard player,
Certainly mighty proud I say
I'm always mighty proud to say it.
I consider that the hours I spend
With a cue in my hand are golden.
Help you cultivate horse sense
And a cool head and a keen eye.
Never take and try to give
An iron-clad leave to yourself
From a three-reail billiard shot?
[...]

From a three-reail billiard shot?
[...]
One fine night, they leave the pool hall,Harold:
Well, either you're closing your eyes
To a situation you do now wish to acknowledge
Or you are not aware of the caliber of disaster indicated
By the presence of a pool table in your community.
Ya got trouble, my friend, right here,
I say, trouble right here in River City.
Why sure I'm a billiard player,
Certainly mighty proud I say
I'm always mighty proud to say it.
I consider that the hours I spend
With a cue in my hand are golden.
Help you cultivate horse sense
And a cool head and a keen eye.
Never take and try to give
An iron-clad leave to yourself
From a three-reail billiard shot?
[...]

From a three-reail billiard shot?
[...]

From a three-reail billiard shot?
[...]
On while they're loafin' around that Hall? Harold:
Well, either you're closing your eyes
To a situation you do now wish to acknowledge
Or you are not aware of the caliber of disaster indicated
By the presence of a pool table in your community.
Ya got trouble, my friend, right here,
I say, trouble right here in River City.
Why sure I'm a billiard player,
Certainly mighty proud I say
I'm always mighty proud to say it.
I consider that the hours I spend
With a cue in my hand are golden.
Help you cultivate horse sense
And a cool head and a keen eye.
Never take and try to give
An iron-clad leave to yourself
From a three-reail billiard shot?
[...]

From a three-reail billiard shot?
[...]

David Buggs

Nov 19, 2012, 10:41:15 AM11/19/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Is it a makerspace or a mancave we planning for the Lenox space?

Buggs

Matt Wittmann

Nov 19, 2012, 11:35:27 AM11/19/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for all the feed back. I am thinking its a no.  Makerspace is what you want it to be.

On Nov 19, 2012 9:41 AM, "David Buggs" <david...@gmail.com> wrote:
Is it a makerspace or a mancave we planning for the Lenox space?

Buggs

Joe Buck

Nov 19, 2012, 11:35:14 AM11/19/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
a makercave.

On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 9:41 AM, David Buggs <david...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it a makerspace or a mancave we planning for the Lenox space?
>
> Buggs

Matt Wittmann

Nov 19, 2012, 11:37:16 AM11/19/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Its a social club. To some.

Vishal Rana

Nov 19, 2012, 11:39:21 AM11/19/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
I am in favor of the getting the pool table if we still plan on having a lounge.

Vishal

Matt Wittmann

Nov 19, 2012, 11:51:48 AM11/19/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

I feel if i got it there it would upset some people.

Kevin Crowley

Nov 19, 2012, 12:02:45 PM11/19/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
I think upset would be too strong a word.  More of decorating difference.  do you want sheers or light obscuring drapes on the windows?  Vertical or horizontal blinds?  Full length or chevalier mirrors? CFLs or carbon arcs?

Pete Prodoehl

Nov 19, 2012, 12:13:35 PM11/19/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Matt, pretty much everything is going to upset *someone* along the way...

Let's review what Milwaukee Makerspace is about:

    http://milwaukeemakerspace.org/about/

Take the arcade game thing... If we started crawling craigslist for cheap/free arcade games and just stuck them in the space it would eventually look like an arcade from the 1980s. While that might be cool to some of us, I don't think it evokes the maker spirit. On the other hand, if you got a cabinet, ripped out the guts, and rebuilt it as a MAME machine, I'd see that as a project, probably involving one or more members, that would be a cool thing to have at the space, and to show off. Think of showing people a old Pac Man machine and saying "we got this from craigslist" versus "yeah, we got this cabinet from craigslist, gutted it, and rebuilt it as a custom machine that can emulate 500 arcade games." The second options sounds better to me.

Pete

Matt Wittmann

Nov 19, 2012, 12:16:32 PM11/19/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Some may enjoy pool. Most dont have room for one. Or relaxing thinking about what your makeing.

Royce Pipkins

Nov 19, 2012, 12:17:54 PM11/19/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Suggestion: Add an AI opponent to the pool table: Overhead WebCam, RasPi, some potentially lethal pool cue wielding mechanism.

The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do.
B. F. Skinner

Joseph Bozarth

Nov 19, 2012, 12:19:30 PM11/19/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
I am sure if we got a table there would be plenty of opportunity to mod it or fix it that could be considered making. Assuming that someone knows how to re-felt a table.

Joseph Bozarth

Joe Buck

Nov 19, 2012, 12:33:54 PM11/19/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
You've GOTTA see this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z6-i9pZrSU

I, for one, would love to hack a pool table. Good or bad, keep in
mind that this is a six foot table. the coin-op ones in bars are
generally 7 foot and the the ones in pool halls (romine's and the
like) are 8 foot tables.

Matt Wittmann

Nov 19, 2012, 12:36:37 PM11/19/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Very cool.

Pete Prodoehl

Nov 19, 2012, 12:40:15 PM11/19/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

I agree... as I said, I like playing pool, and am not opposed to a pool table per se, but just against filling the space up with large object that are not tools or equipment or things we've actually made.

Pete

Kevin Crowley

Nov 19, 2012, 12:40:22 PM11/19/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
That just justified the pool table.

Pete Prodoehl

Nov 19, 2012, 12:50:14 PM11/19/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Here's an idea:

1. Discuss it a bit on the list.
2. Decide who wants to hack this pool table.
3. Create a wiki page explaining what you want to do, and list all the people who expressed interest.

Then we have a nice "thing to point at" for more info, and we know who volunteered to make this project happen.

And if it doesn't happen, we know who to blame. ;)

Pete

Joe Buck

Nov 19, 2012, 12:49:52 PM11/19/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, cover it with neutral gray or white felt...
Inline image 1 (billiards.com)

Then, with the camera and projector in place to facilitate some sort of Light-Augmented Play pool table or LapPool (tm) for short :-) , the possibilities are endless for smart surface fun ASIDE from billiards.

Pete Prodoehl

Nov 19, 2012, 12:52:31 PM11/19/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Heck yeah! This is what I'd like to see... ideas about hacking things that find their way into the space.

Player piano? Interesting... Player piano as our doorbell? More interesting!

Augmented Reality pool table? Very interesting!

Pete

Matt Czapar

Nov 19, 2012, 12:52:46 PM11/19/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Even just re-felting and re-finishing the wood would be a fun project.  I re-felted a bumper pool table, and it was seriously cool to see it go from gross to classy looking.

Plus we can just glue an Arduino in it and we'll be good to go, street cred wise.

Jason Hilleshiem

Nov 19, 2012, 12:56:56 PM11/19/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Don't know what Augmented Reality is?  Download my lady's app from the App Store (search Dena Nord) and use the trigger images on this Page- http://denanord.com/augmentedgallery

-Jason H

Jason Hilleshiem

Nov 19, 2012, 12:58:59 PM11/19/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
shameless plug. but it's exciting

Matt Wittmann

Nov 19, 2012, 1:40:02 PM11/19/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Ok. Just thought a game of pool would be fun while waiting for projects to finish. If we had a great place to hang out. It would not hurt.

precisiontech

Nov 19, 2012, 1:40:12 PM11/19/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Can you hack a dartboard? Always plenty of those on craig's list.
Maybe get it to dispense a prize to certain score areas or just to the winner...
-beer
-pez
-m&m's
-reese's pieces
-malted milk balls
-beer nuts
-more beer

On Sunday, November 18, 2012 4:03:03 PM UTC-6, Matt Wittmann wrote:

milwaukeemakerspace@googleg

David Buggs

Nov 19, 2012, 1:44:38 PM11/19/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
I for one wouldn't be upset if the pool table, or a lounge in the lenox space, aligns to the goals the group has set forth for the space.  As a member with only a couple of months under by belt I'm still searching for what the group wants to be when it grows up.
Buggs

Shane

Nov 19, 2012, 1:45:59 PM11/19/12
to milwaukeemakerspace
I think you're on target, Matt, because I'm constantly at the pinball
machine while waiting for pieces to etch/cut. It's really nice to
have things like that, but a pool table might be a bit big.

As for the dartboard, it should dispense malted milk balls to the
loser. :P

Pete Prodoehl

Nov 19, 2012, 1:50:49 PM11/19/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Matt, read through the emails again... lots of people are in favor of it. I never specifically said I was against it, I just brought up some issues I think we should think about.

If you want to get it and take ownership of it and bring it to the space and think it would be useful and allow people to hack it, play it, etc... maybe that's all that matters. You'll just need to be ready to take it home if we (as a group) don't want it there at some point, like if we need the room for something else, or get a better one. ;)

Pete

Matt Wittmann

Nov 19, 2012, 1:53:26 PM11/19/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Well i would need some help.

Matt Wittmann

Nov 19, 2012, 1:54:17 PM11/19/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

And i would think about it once we get set up at lenox

Shane

Nov 19, 2012, 2:00:04 PM11/19/12
to milwaukeemakerspace
We could cast our own metal corner pieces with our logo on them....

If we could figure out how the professionals make pool balls, we could
take every logo treatment (including a bunch of new ones, holidays,
etc.) and put one on each ball in place of the numbers.

"Thanksgiving, off the Grunge, corner pocket!"

On Nov 19, 12:54 pm, Matt Wittmann <mfrankwi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> And i would think about it once we get set up at lenox

Pete Prodoehl

Nov 19, 2012, 2:00:54 PM11/19/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Help? That's why I suggested the following. :)

Find the people in this thread who were interested in doing something cool with it.

Those people make up your project members.

Pete

Joe Buck

Nov 19, 2012, 3:33:14 PM11/19/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
There is THIS (youtube.com) too.

I'd be all about participating in this project or something similar if the pool table does come into the space.

Shane

Nov 19, 2012, 3:55:27 PM11/19/12
to milwaukeemakerspace
I'm guessing that works on a similar principal to an exhibit at the
MAM a couple of years back, part of a "kinetic artwork" show....

Basically, there was a projector mounted on the ceiling that shone on
the floor.

There were cameras or something that translated your movements into
movements on the projected image.

It was kinda like when you press real hard on an LCD screen to see all
those cool rainbow colors, but using your footsteps and body movement
instead.

What I'd like to see:
We have a set of microphones that specifically pick up on the sound of
two pool balls cracking into one another.
These microphones triangulate the sound and an image is projected onto
the felt, right where the balls hit.
Perhaps a Batman-esque "Thud!" image or something. Or maybe just
cracks in the table. We could certainly play around if we got a
system like that working.

Larger, brighter images for harder hits, etc.

On Nov 19, 2:33 pm, Joe Buck <jtb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There is THIS<http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Obscura+Cuelight&oq=Obscu...>

Vishal Rana

Nov 19, 2012, 3:57:57 PM11/19/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
I believe you are referring to the Reactable.

Vishal

Dustin DuPree

Nov 19, 2012, 7:45:47 PM11/19/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Augmented reality pool table would be great!! A hybrid of pool and mini-golf would also be pretty fun. The felt surface would be pretty ideal for computer vision applications, there would be good contrast for reflected IR.

Shane

Nov 19, 2012, 7:51:55 PM11/19/12
to milwaukeemakerspace
Mini-golf-pool? I freakin' love it!

On Nov 19, 6:45 pm, Dustin DuPree <duj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Augmented reality pool table would be great!! A hybrid of pool and
> mini-golf would also be pretty fun. The felt surface would be pretty ideal
> for computer vision applications, there would be good contrast for
> reflected IR.
>

> On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 2:57 PM, Vishal Rana <vran...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I believe you are referring to the Reactable.
>
> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h-RhyopUmc
>
> > Vishal

Mrspeed700

Nov 19, 2012, 8:47:21 PM11/19/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
convert it to hover pool and use hocky pucks for balls and flipers on the rails.
Rich

Ed Hagopian

Nov 21, 2012, 11:11:15 PM11/21/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
The slate alone would be worth it as a build platform for a giant CNC router... Nice and flat.

Kevin Crowley

Nov 22, 2012, 12:34:39 AM11/22/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
I thought we were going to use concrete.

Ed Hagopian

Nov 29, 2012, 10:12:22 PM11/29/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
I'll use a bag of angry dead squirrels if they are flat enough.... Whatever works and is cheap. :)

Kevin Crowley

Nov 29, 2012, 11:29:41 PM11/29/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Zombie squirrels are cheap to buy but expensive to keep.

Ed Hagopian

Nov 30, 2012, 12:04:52 AM11/30/12
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com