Wild Apricot advice

John Eich

Apr 19, 2017, 2:33:00 PM4/19/17
to milwaukeemakerspace
Hey Milwaukee cousins,

I'm poking around at software solutions to help us deal with dues collection/documentation and membership management.  As I recall, you all switched over to Wild Apricot a while ago, and I'd love to talk with people there who use it.  Tips and tricks, parts you like or don't like, etc. Help us decide whether it's worth the cache.

Who should I reach out to there about the software?

Thanks!

John

- - - - - - -
John Eich
President, Bodgery makerspace

Ronald J.

Apr 19, 2017, 3:08:21 PM4/19/17
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
I believe Dan Jonke is our highly qualified Wild Apricot guy. That'd be d...@vfdworld.com

--

---

Dan Jonke

Apr 19, 2017, 3:44:46 PM4/19/17
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Yup,

On the whole I'm much happier with our current system than its homegrown predecessor. I'm happy to answer specific questions. In the meanwhile I can give you the following random brain dump:

Their staff is very communicative with the user base about features and improvements.

We're using it mostly for member management and dues processing at the moment.

We have it setup for donations as well, but almost nobody uses it for that, people have mostly stuck to putting cash in boxes at the space.

We do occasionally use it for membership wide email blasts, it is good at that, we just don't end up sending many.

We'd like to use the Apricot calendar for tracking space events, but right now only "Administrator" members can edit it It looks like a future feature release will broaden that to all members.

They don't have a mechanism for polls or elections, but it is commonly requested, so I am hopeful for the future.

We aren't using the web site / CMS portion for anything more than a landing page at the moment:

We aren't using the forum functionality either. It has been discussed as an alternative to our google groups, but inertia has kept us here for now.

We have integrated wild apricot authentication to our existing wordpress and doku wiki sites using OAuth, to allow members to have a "single sign on" across all three.

We accept Credit Card and PayPal payments using their "PayPal - Express Checkout" integration. There is no base service fee (Only transaction fees), but it only allows automatic recurring payments for people with a PayPal account. If you use some of their other payment backends (with higher fees) you can do recurring credit cards as well. A pain point I would like to see them fix is that you can only integrate with one electronic payment backend at a time. If we were to start using an Authorize.Net account to get recurring credit cards, for instance, we'd have to replace PayPal.

Electronic payments can be fully automated, our cash and check processing is still manual. They have a pretty good interface for running through multiple outstanding invoices quickly at the end of the month.

The handling of prepayments of multiple months is clunky, you have to increment the due date manually and edit the associated invoice. It would be nice to have a "renew for 'x' months" button.

Handling of family or group memberships is good, we can generate one invoice linked to the whole "family unit".

We've build several additional features by interacting with their API (They once told me in an email we're one of the heaviest traffic api users company wide)

We sync door pin codes and fob codes to our access control system that lets people into the building. This has the very nice side effect for the treasurer, that if a member forgets to pay their dues, they can make an electronic payment online and the building will turn their key back on within 60 seconds. No need to bother a board member.

We've also build an area funding system that allows members to target a portion of their dues to specific areas and tools. The users make their funding selections in Apricot, but the aggregation and accounting is done by external code that reads the member selections via API. This really helps with paying for consumables and helping the BoD understand what areas are valued by the membership.

We're working on a way to automatically sync the google group membership with apricot, but that isn't built yet.

-Dan
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to milwaukeemakers...@googlegroups.com.

John Eich

Apr 19, 2017, 5:18:09 PM4/19/17
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Ronald for pointing the way, and Dan for the excellent brain dump!  Great info there, and I appreciate the time that took you.  Glad to hear the API piece works, and the ability to add another e-payer service was one of our top questions. We can add our voices to the call for action on that then.

I'll follow up off-list with an email, if you don't mind.  Getting your take on how to configure it for our shared dynamics would be really helpful.

John

---

---