Electric Snake

Pete Prodoehl

Aug 18, 2014, 4:31:17 PM8/18/14
to Milwaukee Makerspace

A challenge for all you makers!

The Milwaukee Public Museum's interactive rattlesnake is in need of repair:

http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/blog/2014/08/snake-on-the-loose-help-find-milwaukee-public.html

How would you build an interactive rattlesnake? Would it be electric?
Pneumatic? Solar-power? Use an Arduino?

Should we build one for Maker Faire, or maybe just for Milwaukee Makerspace?

Pete

Shane T.

Aug 18, 2014, 5:22:12 PM8/18/14
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com, ras...@gmail.com
We should totally have a hidden-button thing, but let's make it unique.

Maybe a laser cut goat pops up from somewhere and "bahhhhs" at you for a second or two....

Joe Rodriguez

Aug 18, 2014, 6:22:59 PM8/18/14
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Just spitballing, but I would expect the most reliable setup would involve an electric motor driving a balanced crankshaft with a connecting rod running through a sleeve that is connected to a pivot point and into the rattle. Should run for years.

Thanks,
Joe Rodriguez

Paul Sisneros

Aug 20, 2014, 9:48:20 PM8/20/14
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
That's an odd story, how much could that possibly cost to fix? Isn't it just a motor and an offset weight or a bent crank shaft or something?

Have Blue

Aug 20, 2014, 10:00:35 PM8/20/14
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
It can't cost terribly much to fix and I suspect this is is simply a very shrewd fundraising method in general.

Given that 'the rattlesnake button' is known to everyone in SE WI that ever went on a school field trip to MPM, I'd say the nostalgia factor brings in far more donations than saying "we're over budget for toilet paper this quarter" or whatever.

Paul Sisneros

Aug 20, 2014, 10:14:12 PM8/20/14
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Ah, I'm usually pretty cynical but somehow this didn't occur to me. Also I'm kind of surprised because I didn't grow up here, but I've been to that museum 5 or so times and never noticed a rattle snake button.

--

---

Kevin Crowley

Aug 20, 2014, 10:47:40 PM8/20/14
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
That because the button is hidden.   Ask any 5 year old the next time you are there and they will show it to you.

Or  follow these directions.  As you are looking at the plains indian buffalo hunting diorama go to the far right side and feel around on the inside of the stone wall.

Have Blue

Aug 20, 2014, 11:24:52 PM8/20/14
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
It's precisely because you didn't grow up here that you don't know where the hidden button is - it is knowledge that is passed from child to child as a sort of 'shared experience' (which is why this is a such dynamite fundraising idea).  Just like Kevin mentions, find any gradeschooler at the museum and they can show you.

On Monday, August 18, 2014 5:22:59 PM UTC-5, Joe Rodriguez wrote:
Just spitballing, but I would expect the most reliable setup would involve an electric motor driving a balanced crankshaft with a connecting rod running through a sleeve that is connected to a pivot point and into the rattle.  Should run for years.

Thanks,
Joe Rodriguez

> On Aug 18, 2014, at 3:31 PM, Pete Prodoehl <ras...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> A challenge for all you makers!
>
> The Milwaukee Public Museum's interactive rattlesnake is in need of repair:
>
> http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/blog/2014/08/snake-on-the-loose-help-find-milwaukee-public.html
>
> How would you build an interactive rattlesnake? Would it be electric? Pneumatic? Solar-power? Use an Arduino?
>
> Should we build one for Maker Faire, or maybe just for Milwaukee Makerspace?
>

> Pete
>

> --

---

Shane T.

Aug 21, 2014, 12:34:57 AM8/21/14
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Paul, it would absolutely make some little kid's day if an adult were to ask to be shown "The Rattlesnake Button".  Do it.

On Wednesday, August 20, 2014 10:24:52 PM UTC-5, haveblue wrote:
It's precisely because you didn't grow up here that you don't know where the hidden button is - it is knowledge that is passed from child to child as a sort of 'shared experience' (which is why this is a such dynamite fundraising idea).  Just like Kevin mentions, find any gradeschooler at the museum and they can show you.

On 8/20/2014 9:14 PM, Paul Sisneros wrote:
Ah, I'm usually pretty cynical but somehow this didn't occur to me. Also I'm kind of surprised because I didn't grow up here, but I've been to that museum 5 or so times and never noticed a rattle snake button.
On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 9:00 PM, Have Blue <have...@airsoldier.com> wrote:
It can't cost terribly much to fix and I suspect this is is simply a very shrewd fundraising method in general.

Given that 'the rattlesnake button' is known to everyone in SE WI that ever went on a school field trip to MPM, I'd say the nostalgia factor brings in far more donations than saying "we're over budget for toilet paper this quarter" or whatever.

On 8/20/2014 8:48 PM, Paul Sisneros wrote:
That's an odd story, how much could that possibly cost to fix? Isn't it just a motor and an offset weight or a bent crank shaft or something?

On Monday, August 18, 2014 5:22:59 PM UTC-5, Joe Rodriguez wrote:
Just spitballing, but I would expect the most reliable setup would involve an electric motor driving a balanced crankshaft with a connecting rod running through a sleeve that is connected to a pivot point and into the rattle.  Should run for years.

Thanks,
Joe Rodriguez

> On Aug 18, 2014, at 3:31 PM, Pete Prodoehl <ras...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> A challenge for all you makers!
>
> The Milwaukee Public Museum's interactive rattlesnake is in need of repair:
>
> http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/blog/2014/08/snake-on-the-loose-help-find-milwaukee-public.html
>
> How would you build an interactive rattlesnake? Would it be electric? Pneumatic? Solar-power? Use an Arduino?
>
> Should we build one for Maker Faire, or maybe just for Milwaukee Makerspace?
>

> Pete
>

> --

---

---

paul

Aug 21, 2014, 5:01:38 PM8/21/14
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Y:
Sent via the HTC Vivid™, an AT&T 4G LTE smartph008787$"one'?
>>         milwaukeemakers...@googlegroups.com.

>>     --
>>
>>     ---

>     --