Do not use the latest Ubuntu.

Kevin Crowley

Apr 29, 2012, 11:12:39 PM4/29/12
to milwau...@googlegroups.com
Or at least not the Kubuntu versions.

Three installs on three different machines and not one ran what I would call well.
Mostly bad hardware recog.

Downloading Mint now.

hetfield

Apr 30, 2012, 11:06:17 AM4/30/12
to Milwaukee Linux User's Group
I played with Mint a little bit, and I liked it. I'm still really put
off by what's going on with Canonical and Ubuntu; maybe after things
settle down I'll take another look.

Jeremy

May 7, 2012, 10:38:14 AM5/7/12
to Milwaukee Linux User's Group
I keep getting the notice to update. What version are you talking
about?

Paul Schmidt

May 7, 2012, 10:41:23 AM5/7/12
to milwau...@googlegroups.com
I just updated my netbook to 12.04, it seems to be ok. I have one error
for the grub-pc package that I will look into.

I am using the default Unity desktop. The Kubuntu (KDE) version seems
rather bloated to me.

Paul

studeski

Jul 3, 2012, 9:39:01 AM7/3/12
to Milwau...@googlegroups.com, milwau...@googlegroups.com
I have 12.04 on my desk top and it keeps getting worse all the time. I have programs that won't open anymore. Can't even get into system settings. Gedit won't run from a terminal. This sucks.

Claude

AJ

Jul 3, 2012, 10:55:18 AM7/3/12
to milwau...@googlegroups.com
I did some updates yesterday to Kubuntu.  Then I read this email and thought 'everything's working fine in Kubuntu, thank God'.

So I tried to log in this morning and I was greeted by "failed to load seesion "gnome".  Luckily I didn't have to employ any complicated fixes.  I just had to choose "kde" from the drop down menu at the login box.  Whew!  On to bigger and better things..

Kevin Crowley

Jul 3, 2012, 1:29:08 PM7/3/12
to milwau...@googlegroups.com
I am still trying to find a distro I like as much as I liked Kubuntu.

AJ

Jul 3, 2012, 1:32:20 PM7/3/12
to milwau...@googlegroups.com
I like Kubuntu.  It is very customizable.  I also liked Xubuntu ok for my older computers.  It was very simplistic.  But I didn't have any problems with it.

Paul Schmidt

Jul 3, 2012, 3:10:50 PM7/3/12
to milwau...@googlegroups.com
I still haven't found anything that I like better than openSUSE-Gnome
12.01. I like the idea of the long-term-support releases of Ubuntu, but
not really happy with the direction the desktop is going.

There is (yet another) distro based on Ubuntu 12.04, called Ultimate
Edition. It uses the Gnome desktop, so I may have to try it.

http://ultimateedition.info/ultimate-edition/ultimate-edition-3-4-lts/

Paul