TWALD 2017 wrap up

Bob Burns

Sep 13, 2017, 10:03:48 AM9/13/17
to ChiVinMoto - Chicago Vintage Motorcyclists, MilVinMoto
There was an episode of "Beavis and Butthead" where Beavis raised the question "Why do some things have to suck?"

And Butthead patiently explained that it is necessary for some things to suck because if nothing sucked we wouldn't be able to appreciate it when things are awesome.

So the next time things suck look back and this past weekend and remember a time when things were awesome.

Fantastic weather. Great company. An interesting mix of marques, eras, and styles. And some of the best roads in the country.

Lessons were learned, some fairly inexpensive and some not. And a few people got to witness the riding skills of my second favorite motorcycle riding instructor on the planet. Thanks again to Bruce Hayner for providing a loaner bike and airport shuttle service to Aaron Stevenson of Cornerspin.

People without whom: Kevin Hansing towing and recovery, maps and group photo by Kevin Lawhorn, lunch stops from Joe and Deb and Brian Jordan and friends. Becky Dennis shopping and chopping. Chad doing Chad stuff. BoscoBill and BoscoBarb opened their home, yard, shop and stash of P.A. gear. Jon and Jen at Tall Tails, Doyle at The Unique, Tony and Kerry at Hubl's. Dessert bread from Trig. Matt and Karsten for leading me and Aaron on a fantastic ride, thanks for waiting up so I could tell you which way to turn next and thanks for helping move the tables. Thanks to Norm and Gina for helping Kevin move them back. Thanks to Bob Angone for the story telling. DJ Tina handled the music, next time don't forget the best cover of Kashmir ever. Gabe Lanza's art made a few appearances, Joe Nesbitt got some of it onto t-shirts. Dave and Ross came up with ideas for swag and dumped the proceeds into the gas tank, thanks to them and everyone who bought something or just tossed some money into the tank. It's really helpful that this thing is just about cash neutral.

My apologies to anyone who helped out that I forgot to mention. It takes a village and I'm the idiot.

Last and biggest thanks to Jennifer who not only tolerates me putting time and effort into this but also for reminding why I do it.

12 month warning.

--
-Bob Burns

Ian Harris

Sep 18, 2017, 1:08:41 PM9/18/17
to Bob Burns, ChiVinMoto - Chicago Vintage Motorcyclists, MilVinMoto
Weekend before last, I saw some people, ate some food, checked to see if the Mississippi was still there, went for a walk in the woods, and scrubbed in some new rubber.  877 was the reading on my ODO at the end. Adjust for time on the slab, and ODO error, I'd say about 675 miles were roads I wanted to ride.

My 50/50 tires opened up a whole new level of fear and enjoyment in the Driftless. Thanks to Charles Becker for leading by example - I'm now a lot more confident schlepping a 500+pound bike on gravel.

Between the time I got off the slab in Beloit late on Thur PM, and then again on Sun, I had a lot to be thankful for.
  • Bob & Jennifer for making this possible
  • Brian & Joe for opening up their homes/garages
  • Tina for raising & razzing an effigy
  • The town of Boscobel
  • & not to mention the fine people who showed up.
Hope I don't have to wait a whole year to see y'all again.

Ian. - probably needs to have a garage night again soon.

--
++++++++++++++++++
The Ricktor is a false construct. See if you can get my attention so you can host

Wed Nite Garage:

Sept 13th = Patrick & his CB550 in Villa Park
Sept 20th = Peter in the People's Republic of Oak Park
Sept 27th = Joe "Mr. Bridgeport" Ryan in Evergreen Park
Oct 4th = ?
Oct 11th = ??
Oct 18th = ???
Oct 25th = ????

Dec 20th = Christmas Party Garage Night at Kenny's Sports Car Store

FOLKS, this Anarcho/Commune doesn't run itself. VOLUNTEER to host garage nite. If YOU don't, no one else will.

Check out the ChiVinMoto Virtual Garages
http://bit.ly/ChiVinGarage

To visit on the web: http://groups.google.com/group/ChiVinMoto?hl=en
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ChiVinMoto - Chicago Vintage Motorcyclists" group.